Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday September 17, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Interior & Exterior Modification

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:52 PM   #1
sc00ter
Scooby Guru

Member#: 117767
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2011 STI Sedan
DGM

Default Accessport V3: Where did you mount yours?

I installed the Accessport V3 2 weeks ago. I decided to mount it to the flat spot just above the headlight leveling switch:

Unfortunately, the tape on the bottom of the mount is terrible and already peeled off the bottom of the mount and the dash. Also, I found that where I mounted it made accessing the headlight leveling switch and dash light dimming switch impossible to see and difficult to access. So before I re-mount it with some good 3M tape, I'm trying to figure out if there is a better spot to mount it that doesn't hide any switches/knobs but is still easy to see.

I'm considering the center mount offered by COBB but I don't like how it clutters the top of the dash by the clock and $65 for a little mount seems ridiculous. For $650 the Accessport should have come with the center mount to begin with, IMO. But that's neither here nor there.

(Cobb Center Mount)

Anyway, I'm looking to see if anyone got creative with their mounting solutions on a GR dash. If you did, please post pics!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by sc00ter; 01-22-2014 at 05:58 PM.
sc00ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:27 PM   #2
StateKDizzy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 335422
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2013 STi Sedan
White

I mounted mine on the silver strip right next to the head unit by the volume knob. I used the same mount as you and have had 0 issues with it coming off or getting in the way of anything.
StateKDizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:36 PM   #3
sc00ter
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2011 STI Sedan
DGM

Like this?

Seems like a good spot but that edge is rounded a bit. I didn't think it would hold well there. If it works think I might go this route.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:59 PM   #4
StateKDizzy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 335422
Vehicle:
2013 STi Sedan
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00ter View Post
Like this? Seems like a good spot but that edge is rounded a bit. I didn't think it would hold well there. If it works think I might go this route.
Exactly like that. Same placement and everything. The tape will follow the contour of the plastic and hold the mount in place. Maybe I just got lucky and it stuck.
StateKDizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:21 PM   #5
vision.dynamix
Scooby Guru

Member#: 139955
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2015 Subaru STI
Black, like my soul.

Track down the suction cup mount.
vision.dynamix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:02 AM   #6
ep_pat
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 357312
Vehicle:
2013 wrx
DGM

got a cell phone suction cup mount. went above my inspection sticker
ep_pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:44 AM   #7
sc00ter
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2011 STI Sedan
DGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision.dynamix View Post
Track down the suction cup mount.
Good call. I found a couple of mount options specifically designed for the AP V3 from eBay seller mfauls for very reasonable prices.

Suction Cup Mount ($17.95)

Vent Mount ($14.95)

I like the idea of the vent mount so I purchased that one. I'll see how it does with the vent to the left of the steering wheel and the vent just under the stereo.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:54 PM   #8
RSD Performance
Former Vendor

Member#: 346602
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2013 Subaru WRX
www.rsdperformanceinc.com

Sorry, bad picture quality. I have the AP mounted on the pillar.

James
RSD Performance
RSD Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:57 PM   #9
sc00ter
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2011 STI Sedan
DGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSD Performance View Post
Sorry, bad picture quality. I have the AP mounted on the pillar.
What mount did you use?
Old 01-23-2014, 08:13 PM   #10
RSD Performance
Former Vendor

Member#: 346602
Vehicle:
2013 Subaru WRX
www.rsdperformanceinc.com

Quote:
What mount did you use?
It is a Pro-Clip

James
RSD Performance
RSD Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:44 AM   #11
sc00ter
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2011 STI Sedan
DGM

UPDATE: The vent mount I ordered came in yesterday and I installed it last night. Overall I am very impressed. the build quality of the mount is equal/greater than that of the mount that comes with the V3 Accessport. It clips into the vent with a solid grip and has a little adjustable stand on the bottom to allow you to set it on the lip of the vent opening for a very solid and sturdy mounting solution. A nice surprise was that the adjustable stand has a rubber piece on the bottom so you don't have to worry about scratching your dash too.

I am able to mount it in the same area as I previously had it but now it's high enough that it doesn't get in the way of the headlight and interior lighting adjustment switches. I love that it can be quickly removed as well, if necessary. Very pleased with this solution.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:23 AM   #12
dylanrawks
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 372277
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Stock TD04
Stage 2+ EL headerback

I mounted mine just left of the radio. It keeps coming down because I used some crap velcro. Does anybody know what the most solid mount for the V3 is and could be bought?
dylanrawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:26 AM   #13
Augstar
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 354389
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Limited
SWP Hatch

Wow that vent clip looks nice. Might give it a go seeing as how my tape is losing its stickyness.
Augstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:10 PM   #14
sc00ter
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2011 STI Sedan
DGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augstar View Post
Wow that vent clip looks nice. Might give it a go seeing as how my tape is losing its stickyness.
Yeah, the tape on mine peeled off real quick. The vent clip is extremely solid. I'm loving it.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:50 PM   #15
Jmgoelz
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 350901
Vehicle:
12 Wrx
Wrb

Mines mounted where the have it on the cobb site but as someone said the curve can't be good and it's not. I will be looking for some other mounting options cause it's peeling off
Jmgoelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:48 AM   #16
Rulin
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 326719
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
SWP

After being frustrated with the tape always melting/falling off, I went ahead and am purchasing the air vent mount that sc00ter linked. However, when i went to ebay, it also recommended what looked to be the same mount, but for only 9$. So im gonna take a REAL gamble and try that one out .

Here's a link to the one I purchased: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Air-Vent...p2054897.l5659
Rulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:12 PM   #17
sleepyeg
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 148258
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Limited
WRB

I had some extra gopro mounts laying around so I peeled and reshaped the adhesives off and used it to mount the accessport. It's a lot stronger then the original adhesives from cobb, highly recommended if you got some extra mounts laying around. What did you guys do with the cord? I routed mine through the vents and zipped tied the rest/extras behind.
sleepyeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:23 PM   #18
sc00ter
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2011 STI Sedan
DGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rulin View Post
Here's a link to the one I purchased: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Air-Vent...p2054897.l5659
It looks to be identical! Looks like you may have found a great deal. Still loving this clip mount 5 months later. No issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyeg View Post

I had some extra gopro mounts laying around so I peeled and reshaped the adhesives off and used it to mount the accessport. It's a lot stronger then the original adhesives from cobb, highly recommended if you got some extra mounts laying around. What did you guys do with the cord? I routed mine through the vents and zipped tied the rest/extras behind.
I just routed mine up underneath the dash, zip tied the slack and ran just enough cable up over the top of the steering wheel column to reach the Accessport.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #19
mattauro
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 369427
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon
CGM

Just bought the vent clip on ebay and it came in today! Literally took a day to get here since they're based in orange , CA.
Have mine mounted on the drivers left circular vent on my 06 WRX.quality seems really good. But I can see possible scratch marks on the vent fins where it latches on , especially with added weight and as it moves .
mattauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:51 AM   #20
quantum13
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 389143
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
DGM

thought i'd post a link to a bunch of mounts made by Arkon (the company that makes the vent mount posted earlier) meant for the 2T style mount that the accessport v3 uses. i searched awhile for this and felt that it might help everyone find the mounts they need for their accessport v3!

http://www.arkon.com/mounts-holders-...-adapters.html

i was able to find the majority of these for sale by searching on the part # - most of them are available at amazon and on eBay
quantum13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:13 AM   #22
SpaceJam23
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 332637
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2012 STi
SWP

Cheap, simple, very functional, and easy on and easy off! Accessport isn't hidden behind the side of the steering wheel either.
SpaceJam23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:23 AM   #23
Cakeordeath
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 377818
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
WRB

Quote:
UPDATE: The vent mount I ordered came in yesterday and I installed it last night. Overall I am very impressed. the build quality of the mount is equal/greater than that of the mount that comes with the V3 Accessport. It clips into the vent with a solid grip and has a little adjustable stand on the bottom to allow you to set it on the lip of the vent opening for a very solid and sturdy mounting solution. A nice surprise was that the adjustable stand has a rubber piece on the bottom so you don't have to worry about scratching your dash too.

I am able to mount it in the same area as I previously had it but now it's high enough that it doesn't get in the way of the headlight and interior lighting adjustment switches. I love that it can be quickly removed as well, if necessary. Very pleased with this solution.

Thanks for sharing that. Just grabbed one off eBay last night for $8.95.
Cakeordeath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:31 PM   #24
Mikevar94
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 388535
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2008 WRX
Red

Any phone window mount works fine
Mikevar94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:19 PM   #25
sc00ter
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2011 STI Sedan
DGM

I'll be very curious to see how the seat rail version works for you. I am already thinking of a few ways to make that work well.