Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday August 29, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:05 PM   #1
Dravenm4
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 228139
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX SE
WRB

Default 2.0l to 2.5l swap question

I'm planing to drop a 2.5 in my 02 wrx but can't find any info on the wiring aspect of it I searched around but the only real difference in wiring seems to be adding AVCS does this sound right?
Dravenm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2010, 06:52 PM   #2
Dravenm4
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX SE
WRB

anybody? I did search it out but no info yet ...
Old 10-15-2010, 11:50 PM   #3
RexWagonWA
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 221945
Default AVCS vs. non on 2.5 ltr.

It is likely more trouble than the power it would produce. You also need the wiring harness and sensors. Be sure to purchase an AVCS head.

I concluded that a CNC and rebuild on my present 2002 WRX heads will provide lots of torque with 2.5 ltr. short block.

Good luck on your project
RexWagonWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:27 AM   #4
Dravenm4
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX SE
WRB

ok well i am just going to do the full long block and run the wrx accessories like in element tunings write-up http://www.elementtuning.com/V8%20In...%20Install.htm <--- here, but my new question on this is can the 2002 wrx ecu control avcs? I'm sure i can find a way to wire it or the pin out at least, and i know the motor will run fin without avcs but want to try it...
Old 10-22-2010, 07:50 AM   #5
Subas JT
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 261722
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
12 Impreza
Black

Default ej20 to eg33

Hello, I'm from Portugal and I have a gc8 - EJ20. I would put a eg33, is it possible? The gc8 has manual gearbox. I thank those who help me. Thanks
Subas JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:05 PM   #6
inszelesta
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 178876
Vehicle:
2002 wrx
sti blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexWagonWA View Post
It is likely more trouble than the power it would produce. You also need the wiring harness and sensors. Be sure to purchase an AVCS head.

I concluded that a CNC and rebuild on my present 2002 WRX heads will provide lots of torque with 2.5 ltr. short block.

Good luck on your project
ok i just picked up an 02 wrx n needs a motor i have a 2.5 short block laying around. so the question is if i buy 2.0 heads will the fit on the 25 block?
inszelesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:00 AM   #7
sideshow10
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 261980

I just did the wiring for 05 sti ej25t into
A 97 liberty
Big job had both old and new harnesses from dash to headlights then made one out of the two
There are minor differences between jdm and us models in wiring
But managed to trick ecu with resistors and stuff to get old cruise switches to work with new fly by wire setup
I think 02 won't be to different to 05
So just get both harnesses and study them
sideshow10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:49 PM   #8
xdeathwishx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 259778
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
MBP

I'm planning to do this as well, but am also lost. It seems like every time this question gets asked, most people just recommend other options/discourage it. But I REALLY want to swap a long block AND run AVCS. If anyone could point me to a write up of the wiring issues involved, that'd be great.

I've seen some write-ups of swaps. One even has the full swap, documented with pictures, but this guy swapped the entire car's interior, including the whole dash. Pretty sure that isn't necessary, but I've heard varying stories about the STI guage cluster and steering column needing to be swapped, etc.

If anyone has done 2.0L bugeye to USDM EJ257 long block swap and has it running with AVCS with the USDM EJ257 ECU, post up or PM me. I just need to know what parts I need so I don't come up short half way through the swap.

So far this is what I hear summed up:

From the EJ257 donor car:
1. Whole harness, bumper to bumper, since subarus don't have a separate harness for the chassis and the engine.
2. Immobilizer stuff and the keys if the donor had immobilizer tech. (I hear it's somewhere in the steering column??)
3. ECU
4. Pedal assembly if the new engine is DBW

So my questions are:

1. Am I missing anything?
2. With the above stuff, what will I need to splice? I'm guessing the headlights for sure, but will the window motor/ windshield washer motors/ center console / gauge cluster/cruise control plug right into the EJ257 harness? If not, is it pretty straight forward to just splice on the WRX connectors, or is the voltage all different?

Last edited by xdeathwishx; 11-10-2010 at 12:00 AM.
xdeathwishx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:51 PM   #9
darksurfer81
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 57459
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2001 2.5RSTi
Blue Ridge Pearl

^ Doesn't seem like anyone has any answers to this one. I'm interested in the subject too as I am toying with the idea of replacing my WRX Swap in my GC to an STi swap. Just the motor anyway. I have been searching everywhere to see if I need to get a completely new harness since mine is merged from RS to WRX.
darksurfer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:50 PM   #10
RiskySeven
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 26782
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WR Blue

Default MY02 2.5 STi swap questions here too

xdeathwishx, I'm in the same boat.

I want to drop a Cosworth 2.5 STi in my MY02. Cosworth sells the motor in almost any configuration...JDM/EDM/USDM...pick a version. I've noticed the 2004-2006 JDM/EDM version is available non-DBW, but would still have to iron out single censor AVCS. Wondering if my MY02 ECU tuned properly w/ the JDM 2.0 AVCS wiring kit might work?

A couple of interesting things I've found:

non-DBW STi motor http://gruppe-s.com/part_info.php?part_id=1063
JDM 2.0 AVCS wiring kit http://www.iaperformance.com/product...oducts_id=2580
COMPLETE MY03 STi swap....starting to think this is the only way this is accomplished....I don't think I'm talented enough for this http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...+sti+swap+into
RiskySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:37 PM   #11
psychorunner
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 226568
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2002 Bugeye STI
Silver

I just swapped in a 2005 STI EJ257 into my 2002 WRX (bugeye). I did the whole swap including all the wiring except the rear harness. This way you can keep the AVCS. From my research I found if you just want to swap the longblock and nothing else you need to go stand along EMS. If you have a good donor car, just swap all the wiring. It seems like a big hastle but it's not too bad as long as you lable everything (even if you don't it's very straight forward). I don't know if that's the answer the initial poster was looking for since this whole thread basically got hijacked by everyone else...
psychorunner is offline   Reply With Quote