Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday July 12, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Reviews > Car Part Reviews

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 06-27-2002, 10:43 PM   #1
tokigiracing
Vendor
Vendor Sales Rating: (0)

Member#: 15567
Thumbs up COBB / APS Cold Air Intake

Just recieved and installed a COBB / APS CAI. Perfect fitment, easy install, good bracket location, huge filter, no CEL, great performance / acustic gains.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
tokigiracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 08:24 PM   #2
HollaFront
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)

Member#: 19527
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Pearl Blue

Default I just took mine off

I have to admit, this is a great intake, but after a day of having it on, my CEL came on. So I drove with a check engine light on for about a month, well, I took it off because I was afraid that something bad might happen over time. Josh at cobb recommed that you get the intake installed with a tunned unichip. Anyways, it'll be back on in a couple of weeks when I get the Cobb/APS RT spec installed. Let you know how it goes, peace out.
HollaFront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2002, 04:14 PM   #3
tokigiracing
Vendor

I've had the CEL a few times in the past few days since I installed the intake. Everyone of them has been a System Too Lean Bank 1 code. Anyways, I'm looking to get a fuel management system soon, so that will take care of that. I think the problem comes from the fact that the intake is so huge and brings in alot of air, which kind of offsets the fact that the WRX runs so rich all the time.
Old 06-30-2002, 04:23 PM   #4
supermarkus
Scooby Guru
Member Sales Rating: (13)

Member#: 6971
Vehicle:
2008 WRX STi
SSM

I thought Cobb recommended against running this intake without some sort of extra engine management, Unichip or otherwise.
supermarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 10:12 AM   #5
tokigiracing
Vendor

I don't think so...I know they say that you shouldn't expect the full potential out of the intake without the "properly tuned unichip"....I've found that the ONLY place I'll get a CEL is in 4th gear at 3k rpm, I've never gotten one anywhere else...Apexi SAFC is on it's way though, so I'll be able to take care of it.
Old 07-02-2002, 08:21 PM   #6
jblaine
Scooby Guru
Member Sales Rating: (36)

Member#: 8512
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2002 WRX chassis...
stage-infinity.com

Quote:
This system was designed to be used with a properly tuned Unichip system. Installation of intake without a Unichip properly tuned on your vehicle may result in less than optimal results.
I'd say that's fair warning and running too lean is "less than optimal"
jblaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 02:46 AM   #7
tokigiracing
Vendor

Well, even if it runs lean it's still better performance than the AEM gave out...The ONLY place it runs lean is 3000 rpm, in any gear...Just avoid that spot and you'll never get a CEL. But I'm getting fuel management soon anyways.
Old 07-19-2002, 01:12 PM   #8
Merdock777
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 21256
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza 2.5RS
BlindYoAssPlatinumSilver

I think that only the WRX needs the upgraded ecu. The 2.5 (acording to the COBB page) needs no extra modifications to get the performance it advertises.
Merdock777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 04:41 AM   #9
Blue Mayhem
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 21416
Vehicle:
are we there yet?
are we there yet?

Default how lean?

Does anyone know how bad off the stoichiometry of the fuel mixture is with the APS Intake on a WRX? I installed mine almost 3 weeks ago with the intent of getting a Unichip installed and tuned last weekend. However, those plans fell through thanks to the installer and I probably won't have another chance to get one installed until the early next year. I was going to order a A/F gauge to see how lean the system was running then make the decision whether or not to remove the CAI and go back to the stock air box. If its not too much off I might let it go, since I can feel the extra pull and I like the sound.
Blue Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 12:17 AM   #10
nhluhr
John Wayne Toilet Paper
Member Sales Rating: (22)

Member#: 7327
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2008 Mazdaspeed3
2006 Wrangler Sport

Default Re: how lean?

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Mayhem
Does anyone know how bad off the stoichiometry of the fuel mixture is with the APS Intake on a WRX? I installed mine almost 3 weeks ago with the intent of getting a Unichip installed and tuned last weekend. However, those plans fell through thanks to the installer and I probably won't have another chance to get one installed until the early next year. I was going to order a A/F gauge to see how lean the system was running then make the decision whether or not to remove the CAI and go back to the stock air box. If its not too much off I might let it go, since I can feel the extra pull and I like the sound.
With the APS intake on, my Autometer gauge at highway cruise reads somewhere in the orange (stoich) and with the stock intake, the gauge reads deep into the green (rich). I am convinced that the APS intake makes things too lean!
nhluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 12:18 AM   #11
nhluhr
John Wayne Toilet Paper
Member Sales Rating: (22)

Member#: 7327
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2008 Mazdaspeed3
2006 Wrangler Sport

Quote:
Originally posted by tokigiracing
Well, even if it runs lean it's still better performance than the AEM gave out...The ONLY place it runs lean is 3000 rpm, in any gear...Just avoid that spot and you'll never get a CEL. But I'm getting fuel management soon anyways.
That's the worst advice i've ever heard. Sorry, but that's just plain dumb to recommend somebody avoid the 3000rpm range on a turbo car that starts to come on strong just below 3000 and hits peak torque somewhere just above 3000.
nhluhr is offline   Reply With Quote