Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday September 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Legacy Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
CruizinLG
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 70711
Default 2004 Legacy - Cigarette Lighter Adapter is 'kaput'.

I'm trying to help out my niece who owns a 2004 Legacy. She was using an air compressor to pump up her tire and it stopped working. I thought for sure it was just a blown fuse, but I checked it and it was okay. I even swapped it with another fuse with the same rating just to be sure, and the issue didn't change.

I read somewhere that there may be some sort of thermal fuse just behind the plug adapter itself, but I can't figure out how to access the back of the adapter to see what is going on back there. The only thing I was able to determine for sure with my DVM was that there was no power at the adapter itself. FYI - this is the adapter right in the front dash.

If anyone is familiar with gaining access to the back of the cigarette lighter / how to remove it, I'd appreciate it if you could enlighten me.

I want to be her favorite uncle!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
CruizinLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
subie3429
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 216668
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
00 Legacy
04 Yamaha r6

Pull out ashtray there should be 2 screw on the top side, take those out and then you should just be able to pull the trim peice out.
subie3429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:15 PM   #3
CruizinLG
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by subie3429 View Post
Pull out ashtray there should be 2 screw on the top side, take those out and then you should just be able to pull the trim peice out.
Thanks - I'll take a look the next time she stops by with the car.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:49 AM   #4
Humbleninja
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 208222
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
1992 Legacy SS
White

There is a type of fusable link of sorts on the back of some of these lighters but they arn't servicable, you'll need to replace the whole socket.
Humbleninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #5
CruizinLG
Scooby Newbie

Well, maybe this car's dash is setup differently than Subie's. Attached are pics of the dash. I removed the ash tray and could only see 1 screw - about 6" back. I removed the screw and nothing happened - nothing loosened-up.

I would gladly purchase a new power point / adapter but I still wouldn't know how to remove the old one.

Any other thoughts?

Old 10-30-2010, 09:03 PM   #6
TRH_legacy2k
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 66222
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2000 Legacy
'68 Spitfire

The screws you need face "up" and you can barely see them in the picture. If you don't have a really stubby phillips head, I've used a phillips bit stuck in a 1/4" socket in a small socket wrench.

Also, (at least with the 5 speed) you have the pop off the wood trim around the shifter and you will find 2 more screws.

Make no mistake, this is a pain to do (and I've done it a number of times on my car).
TRH_legacy2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:41 PM   #7
CruizinLG
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH_legacy2k View Post
The screws you need face "up" and you can barely see them in the picture. If you don't have a really stubby phillips head, I've used a phillips bit stuck in a 1/4" socket in a small socket wrench.

Also, (at least with the 5 speed) you have the pop off the wood trim around the shifter and you will find 2 more screws.

Make no mistake, this is a pain to do (and I've done it a number of times on my car).
Thanks! I did notice those in the pictures I took and wondered if those might be the screws I needed to remove - thanks for confirming. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the car until she stops by again, so I will take another stab at it. I have an offset ratcheting screwdriver that will work perfectly for this application.
Appreciate the reply!
I'll wave the next time I pass exit 15 on my way to Lake George.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:18 AM   #8
CruizinLG
Scooby Newbie

Bummer.....I wasn't able to budge the screws.
I don't know if there's another way to tackle this one, except perhaps just installing a new power point somewhere else. Has anyone run into this?

I may call the Subie dealer on Monday and ask them how much they charge to replace it, but I'm sure it won't be cheap.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:56 PM   #9
Mr Squiggles
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 235039
Vehicle:
2005 WRX
OB

well i don't know how much it will be in labor, but they quoted me $32.30 just for the socket. Compare that to around $6 everywhere else in the world. I have a feeling they may sell you the entire ashtray and trim piece. eitherway at least in my WRX you just pull up on the plastic trim around the gear shift and you can get to the back where you can then disconnect the power plug pigtail.
Mr Squiggles is offline   Reply With Quote