Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday August 28, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Legacy Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 06-28-2002, 06:20 PM   #1
ciper
Scooby Guru

Member#: 15543
Vehicle:
90BJ Legacy LS ABS
AWD 946 Rio Red Jpn built

Default Cheap, easy, reversable Cold Air Intake mod :)

So Ive been running my legacy this way for a while and Im happy.

Bypass the coolant hose that "prevents ice from forming on the throttle plate." (subarus words).

The normal flow is from the outlet on the coolant, through the IAC then through the throttle body and back into the cooling system if I remember right. I just bought a peice of metal fuel line from kragen and cut it to the right length so it was easy to replace if it didnt work.

Check it out. Very easy cheap and I KNOW it must make a difference. I guess I could do some sort of write up on this, but its so damn easy you should know what I mean!

If you have trouble, look on the housing that holds the throttle plate (peice between gasket on runners and the plastic intake hose). On the bottom left and right side there are small heater hose's connected to 3/8 inch brass fittings. Get a peice of metal pipe say 5 inches long to take the place of the throttle body. So now instead of the hoses running through the throttle they go around.

Im pretty sure the paper gasket works as a decent heat sheild from the engine so this is one less source of heat for the air, especially since it is heating the throttle plate which has a decent surface area.

Edit: Oh and I havent had any Ice form yet
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by ciper; 06-28-2002 at 07:12 PM.
ciper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 09:10 PM   #2
Patrick Olsen
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 120
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
QuickSilver Metallic

I'm sure it makes a difference, but I doubt it's anything anybody would ever notice by the ol' seat of the pants dyno. This is a pretty popular "modification" with the 5.0L Mustang crowd (which has the exact same type of setup), but chassis dyno results show essentially zero gain.

Pat Olsen
'97 Legacy 2.5GT sedan
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 09:27 PM   #3
ciper
Scooby Guru

Member#: 15543
Vehicle:
90BJ Legacy LS ABS
AWD 946 Rio Red Jpn built

I just realized, I left something out!

The reason I first thought of this mod was when I had a small leak in one of those hoses. I replaced it with standard heater hose (not the special subaru bent type)

So to make this mod EASIER, use ONE piece of 5/16 hose that is about 12-13 inches long.

I just went to pep boys to replace mine with this, only 80cents Cheaper than getting a metal line. Id also suggest some real hose clamps but thats up to you.
ciper is offline   Reply With Quote