Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday July 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Legacy Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:53 PM   #1
TRH_legacy2k
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 66222
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2000 Legacy
'68 Spitfire

Default Main Fuse

anyone have a part number handy for a main fuse for a '00 Legacy? or if that's the wrong terminology, help me out!

Darkness + jumper cables =

and here's what I've done since (x post from electrical forum because... well, i'm desperate)

So, friends, I screwed up. My battery died at my friend's house last night, and in my haste to get home, I reversed the jumper cables on my battery. Cranked it and got nothing but continuous horn until I disconnected. Found out that I blew the Main Fuse (the one that bolts in).

Well, it's a 100A and I could only find an 80A locally so if anything, it's less likely to do any harm and more likely just to blow. Great.

Jumped the car (the right way, this time) and it started right up and idled fine for 5+ minutes, which it rarely does after an ECU reset.

Go to drive home and I'm getting:

- an intermittent (though more on than off) ABS light.

- just a flash of a CEL with a MAJOR hesitation (like, 1/10 second of a dead engine) that does not stay on, nor does it repeatedly flash like in a misfire condition.

- fast flashy blinkers, at least in the cluster.

- battery also completely dead when I got home (~5 miles) so no restart and no diagnoses until I replace it. It might be 10 years old, as I've only been the driver since 2005.

So, mighty Nasciocers, what did I fry and how do I go about testing those things? Unfortunately, I'm broke right now too, so no expensive answers please .

CN:

Battery died. Reversed cables on jump in the dark. Fried main fuse. Now about to replace battery and chase gremlins. HELP!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by TRH_legacy2k; 10-27-2010 at 10:40 AM.
TRH_legacy2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
subie slider
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 259534
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2002 wrx wagon
black w/blue metalic

just go to your local subaru dealer and get the 100a fuse and charge your battery and you should be good to go....the reason it did all that is because that fuse is for the alt....so you were running on just the battery whitch isn't enough to power the car for long without the alternator..

Last edited by subie slider; 10-27-2010 at 03:40 PM.
subie slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:13 PM   #3
Jonathan
Scooby Guru

Member#: 4021
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
1999 Legacy GT Ltd
Quick Silver Metallic

Most modern alternators have the voltage regulator integrated in to the alternator. It is very likely that when you mis-connected the jumper cables backwards you might have possibly damaged the voltage regulator so that your alternator might be what we would say "kaput". If your alternator is indeed "kaput" your best bet would be to either source a cheap junk yard alternator for your Subaru or to obtain a rebuilt alternator from an auto parts store. Getting a brand new alternator from a local Subaru dealership will likely cost you several hundreds of dollars more than a rebuilt unit.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote