Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Member's Car Gallery

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2012, 10:41 PM   #3076
jehymel
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 260385
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza WRX
Spark Silver

Default

I haven't really noticed any impact on my vision (even at night when it's raining) with 35%. I think it's a good level personally
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
jehymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:03 PM   #3077
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
10.9s @ 126mph

Default

Driving with the windows halfway down you could see the difference between nothing and 35% pretty clearly. It's not that dark but it's a little dark.
xluben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:25 PM   #3078
Scnsaracer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 319511
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: McKinney, TX
Vehicle:
2013 STI Sedan
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Personally, 35% is so light I'm not sure if it is worth it. On the DGM car you have to keep in mind several things:

1. He said it was just tinted and tint always looks darker than it is for the first few weeks
2. The dark interior of the car makes the tint seem darker than it is and in reality it is not nearly as difficult to see out as you would imagine.
3. The tint will fade over time and in about two years 35% will literally be nearly clear.

My car is 20% all around and, for me, it is not an issue at night at all. Granted, I have always had tint, so perhaps I am used to it, but the advantage during the heat of the summer far outweighs the change in visibility, plus I feel it makes the car more secure as people can't see in as easily.
Scnsaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:00 AM   #3079
07wrx84
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 252195
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Da-Boonies... 801
Vehicle:
07 WFC #900
@ 451awhp-404awtq

Default

That depends on the quality of the film! All old film turns purple over time. New age stuff lot more quality for sure!
07wrx84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:44 PM   #3080
2011rex18
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 321728
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Buffalo NY
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Limited
DGM

Default

Ben the only thing I would like to know is why u chose the plain hood (u might have indicated that before but i can't remember) just curious I know u have a front mount ic but is that the reason for change
2011rex18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #3081
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
10.9s @ 126mph

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scnsaracer View Post
Personally, 35% is so light I'm not sure if it is worth it. On the DGM car you have to keep in mind several things:

1. He said it was just tinted and tint always looks darker than it is for the first few weeks
2. The dark interior of the car makes the tint seem darker than it is and in reality it is not nearly as difficult to see out as you would imagine.
3. The tint will fade over time and in about two years 35% will literally be nearly clear.

My car is 20% all around and, for me, it is not an issue at night at all. Granted, I have always had tint, so perhaps I am used to it, but the advantage during the heat of the summer far outweighs the change in visibility, plus I feel it makes the car more secure as people can't see in as easily.
Yeah, some pictures make 35% look like almost nothing. But then sitting in ofspunk7's 35% (at night), it seemed pretty dark to me. I need to see some more setups in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07wrx84 View Post
That depends on the quality of the film! All old film turns purple over time. New age stuff lot more quality for sure!
Yeah, I've definitely seen the purple stuff before. I'd obviously want something high quality that will last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011rex18 View Post
Ben the only thing I would like to know is why u chose the plain hood (u might have indicated that before but i can't remember) just curious I know u have a front mount ic but is that the reason for change
Yes, it's because of the FMIC. The scoop in the stock hood disrupts airflow over the car, and also creates higher pressure inside the engine bay (which is good for the stock TMIC, and possibly for cooling the engine itself), but this high pressure is bad for getting airflow through the FMIC. I don't really know if makes any measurable difference. Mainly I just hate people that have hood scoops that they don't need...
xluben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:45 PM   #3082
vinz0r
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 154112
Join Date: Jul 2007
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Clearwater, FL
Vehicle:
08 STi

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xluben View Post
Y
Yes, it's because of the FMIC. The scoop in the stock hood disrupts airflow over the car, and also creates higher pressure inside the engine bay (which is good for the stock TMIC, and possibly for cooling the engine itself), but this high pressure is bad for getting airflow through the FMIC. I don't really know if makes any measurable difference. Mainly I just hate people that have hood scoops that they don't need...
You're so functional, lol. I like the de-scooped look. Rides a little bit more under the radar.
vinz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:05 PM   #3083
Zee Biker
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 166005
Join Date: Dec 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Northern 'Burbs
Vehicle:
2005 Saab 92x
Beaten Silver

Default

Zee Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:12 PM   #3084
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
10.9s @ 126mph

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee Biker View Post
Yeah, that's made by Fobia, the local guy that I posted a bunch of links to a couple posts back. That manifold is remote mount that puts the turbo in the fog light area. It would require a custom oil setup of some kind as well as a completely new (custom) exhaust between the turbo and cat back at least. It also probably wouldn't fit the 2011 WRX without some modification to the car itself (possibly major). The plus side is that it made 700WHP on that car, so I know it has potential

And that's the price of a used part. I simply had quoted the new price from Full Race.
xluben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:45 PM   #3085
Ghost Rider
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 70346
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
Lightning Red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xluben

Yes, it's because of the FMIC. The scoop in the stock hood disrupts airflow over the car, and also creates higher pressure inside the engine bay (which is good for the stock TMIC, and possibly for cooling the engine itself), but this high pressure is bad for getting airflow through the FMIC. I don't really know if makes any measurable difference. Mainly I just hate people that have hood scoops that they don't need...
I really wish they made a reverse cowl hood like the kaminari bugeye hood for our cars
Ghost Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:53 PM   #3086
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
10.9s @ 126mph

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Rider View Post
I really wish they made a reverse cowl hood like the kaminari bugeye hood for our cars
Yeah, that might be cool, but you'd need a new hood due to the design of the 08+.
xluben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:54 PM   #3087
SWP is Sexy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302389
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
Imperial White

Default

Give it time, it will happen eventually
SWP is Sexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:34 PM   #3088
shortandangry
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 311160
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Monterey CA
Vehicle:
2012 WRX 5 door
SWP

Default

Question..... Is the Defi oil pressure sending unit also providing readings for the ECU? Did you relocate the OEM sending unit? I'm confused about how you installed it.
shortandangry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:41 PM   #3089
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
10.9s @ 126mph

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortandangry View Post
Question..... Is the Defi oil pressure sending unit also providing readings for the ECU? Did you relocate the OEM sending unit? I'm confused about how you installed it.
No ECU integration at all. The OEM sensor is merely and on/off voltage reading that will throw the CEL if the oil pressure gets very close to 0psi (which is already too late). The OEM unit is removed. No CEL is triggered by not having it. You're not giving anything up as long as you actually look at the new gauge you install.
xluben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:48 PM   #3090
PearlRex11
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 284420
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Lakewood, Ca
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Sedan
SWP

Default

I will be doing this soon (oil pressure gauge). You can also use the sandwich plate but I'm not going that route, I will be using the location under the intercooler. Been putting this off for awhile though, need to just do it already.
PearlRex11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:57 PM   #3091
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
10.9s @ 126mph

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlRex11 View Post
I will be doing this soon (oil pressure gauge). You can also use the sandwich plate but I'm not going that route, I will be using the location under the intercooler. Been putting this off for awhile though, need to just do it already.
That spot works too (and better than a sandwich adapter, IMO), but the spot under the alternator is best, that's why the OEM sensor is there
xluben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:59 PM   #3092
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
10.9s @ 126mph

Default

Here's a quick video from out in the country this afternoon. The scenery is so nice out there!


The drive was mostly just cruising around, but I edited it down to some more interesting sections.
xluben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:56 AM   #3093
Zee Biker
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 166005
Join Date: Dec 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Northern 'Burbs
Vehicle:
2005 Saab 92x
Beaten Silver

Default

Isn't the AP header a different material than the Tomei/GTspec (321 vs. 304)?
Zee Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:58 AM   #3094
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
10.9s @ 126mph

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee Biker View Post
Isn't the AP header a different material than the Tomei/GTspec (321 vs. 304)?
No way any header under $1k is made of 321. I think Perrin claimed theirs was at one point, but it's not.
xluben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:03 AM   #3095
PearlRex11
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 284420
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Lakewood, Ca
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Sedan
SWP

Default

Practically everyone in my area swears by the tomei headers, they say it is mainly because the welds are better. Not sure myself, they do look nice though. I think I heard they are either the only or one of the few that will warranty them while using heat wrap.
PearlRex11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:21 AM   #3096
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
10.9s @ 126mph

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlRex11 View Post
Practically everyone in my area swears by the tomei headers, they say it is mainly because the welds are better. Not sure myself, they do look nice though. I think I heard they are either the only or one of the few that will warranty them while using heat wrap.
And they have a 3 bolt uppipe connection, so I'd have to get a new uppipe for the EWG. Or have the Tomei one custom modified.
xluben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:33 AM   #3097
ofspunk7
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 249401
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Nord' St Paul
Vehicle:
2005 LGT and 91 MX5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xluben View Post
Here's a quick video from out in the country this afternoon. The scenery is so nice out there!

2011 Subaru WRX - Sunday Drive - YouTube

The drive was mostly just cruising around, but I edited it down to some more interesting sections.
Nice video dude. Thanks for sharing.
ofspunk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:36 PM   #3098
2011rex18
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 321728
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Buffalo NY
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Limited
DGM

Default

How do u like ur clutch setup for dd and for when ur actually hitting some of that power
2011rex18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:25 PM   #3099
07wrx84
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 252195
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Da-Boonies... 801
Vehicle:
07 WFC #900
@ 451awhp-404awtq

Default

I tried watch video but it was blurry on my phone!
07wrx84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:25 PM   #3100
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
10.9s @ 126mph

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011rex18 View Post
How do u like ur clutch setup for dd and for when ur actually hitting some of that power
The clutch does great job holding the power. Around town it's not all that much fun. It's not forgiving at all, and if you don't get it right, it will let you know. I would not recommend a puck clutch to anyone unless your torque actually requires that you have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07wrx84 View Post
I tried watch video but it was blurry on my phone!
Yeah, the GoPro footage along with YouTube compression does not look good at the lower resolutions. You really need it to be in HD for it to even look decent.
xluben is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
xluben's Pictures and Review of the SPT Exhaust for the 2011 WRX 5 Door Hatch xluben Car Part Reviews 26 11-08-2012 06:55 PM
My first post and my first Subaru, a 2011 WRX 5 door in white. Decade240 Newbies & FAQs 25 06-20-2012 01:48 PM
2011 wrx 5 door hatch with Rota 17"x7.5 +48 5x100 wheels? BretCutler Tire & Wheel 4 01-14-2011 08:05 AM
2011 WRX 5 Door Ruz4life General Community 55 10-13-2010 11:37 PM
2011 WRX 5 Door Ruz4life General Community 10 10-04-2010 04:02 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.