Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday July 24, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Member's Car Gallery

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #3226
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2002 WRX - 750WHP
9.5s @ 150mph

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkiboy View Post
a few months ago when i was talking to a few professional groups and racers, a lot coated and wrapped or just wrapped but they almost always did individual wrapping of the runners and then wrapped the pair together which is the way i did mine.

was this a consideration when you did yours, ben?

and i know it gets said all the time, but thanks for taking the time to take such nice pictures!
That seems like a very good idea. I would have considered that, but I only bought one roll of wrap, so I just went with what I had. Maybe I'll re-do it sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee Biker View Post
Hardwire and FPR! Once the temp drops, your IDC's HAVE to be near the terminal limit.
I have been watching AFR's on the colder days, and it appears I'm still OK, but I'm sure I'm very close. I have all the stuff to hardwire the pump, just too lazy to do it. FPR if that isn't enough.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:49 PM   #3227
Celery GT-5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 98210
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Upstate NY
Vehicle:
2016 Forester XT CWP
2002 WRX SRP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWP is Sexy View Post
$3.50




If this was in a month or two when I'm looking to pick up an intake I'd offer you like $90 for it
Celery GT-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:30 AM   #3228
ofspunk7
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 249401
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Nord' St Paul
Vehicle:
2005 LGT and 91 MX5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkiboy View Post
a few months ago when i was talking to a few professional groups and racers, a lot coated and wrapped or just wrapped but they almost always did individual wrapping of the runners and then wrapped the pair together which is the way i did mine.
So wrap the single pipes, then wrap them again together?
ofspunk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #3229
monkiboy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 202958
Join Date: Feb 2009
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: washington, dc
Vehicle:
2008 wrx

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofspunk7 View Post
So wrap the single pipes, then wrap them again together?
yes. so i wrapped the individual runners.


then in pairs and the entire body.


not fun doing it that way and takes a lot longer weaving between the runners and unrolling your wrap but in the end, i'm optimistic it's more functional/efficient.

ben, are you using your dslr for video capture? do you couple that with gopro footage? you seem to really know your camera and video stuff...have you ever been able to recreate the kind of quality gopro releases in their weekly videos from their sponsors. the videos look so beautiful and edited wonderfully and then i look at the crap i output and put together in iMovie and am wondering what kind of software (or skill) ones needs to have to produce something like they do with the same original capture equipment (gopro2). thanks for any insight you have on it, your vids are pretty sweet and i can tell likely take some time.
monkiboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:58 AM   #3230
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2002 WRX - 750WHP
9.5s @ 150mph

Default

The exterior videos (ie. revving the engine) are all shot with Canon 7D's and various lenses. All are tripod mounted. The speedo shots are done with a Canon G12 on a suction cup mount (similar to a GoPro mount). I think the only videos on my YouTube that were shot with the GoPro Hero2 are the one from the track where my 3rd gear goes out, and the one from out in the country where I'm driving around on the back roads.

I agree that the GoPro footage looks nothing like it does in their promo videos. I am assuming there is a lot of post processing that goes into them, to get them looking that good. The other thing I really dislike about the GoPro is that the sound is really poor quality. For good sound you need an external mic. Or I could just put really loud dubstep music on top of the video like they do, haha. I have some more GoPro footage that I'm editing right now. Hopefully it will be up in a few days. I think the quality actually looks pretty good.
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #3231
besthaticouldo
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 279660
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: STL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xluben View Post
The exterior videos (ie. revving the engine) are all shot with Canon 7D's and various lenses. All are tripod mounted. The speedo shots are done with a Canon G12 on a suction cup mount (similar to a GoPro mount). I think the only videos on my YouTube that were shot with the GoPro Hero2 are the one from the track where my 3rd gear goes out, and the one from out in the country where I'm driving around on the back roads.

I agree that the GoPro footage looks nothing like it does in their promo videos. I am assuming there is a lot of post processing that goes into them, to get them looking that good. The other thing I really dislike about the GoPro is that the sound is really poor quality. For good sound you need an external mic. Or I could just put really loud dubstep music on top of the video like they do, haha. I have some more GoPro footage that I'm editing right now. Hopefully it will be up in a few days. I think the quality actually looks pretty good.
the sound is absolutely horrid on the gopro. it's next to unusable.
besthaticouldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #3232
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2002 WRX - 750WHP
9.5s @ 150mph

Default

It seems semi-usable at low speeds, but a motorsports speeds it's pretty much a complete waste.
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #3233
besthaticouldo
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 279660
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: STL
Default

do you have an AOS ben?

if not id suggest that...specifically the Crawford
besthaticouldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #3234
fancyfootwork15
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 262503
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minneapolis
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza 2.5i

Default

What PP Software do you use for your GoPro footage?
fancyfootwork15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:10 PM   #3235
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2002 WRX - 750WHP
9.5s @ 150mph

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by besthaticouldo View Post
do you have an AOS ben?

if not id suggest that...specifically the Crawford
Nope. I haven't noticed any issues with excessive blow by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyfootwork15 View Post
What PP Software do you use for your GoPro footage?
All I use is Windows Movie Maker to trim the clips. I know nothing about actual video editing (color grading, etc).
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #3236
fancyfootwork15
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 262503
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minneapolis
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza 2.5i

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xluben
Nope. I haven't noticed any issues with excessive blow by.

All I use is Windows Movie Maker to trim the clips. I know nothing about actual video editing (color grading, etc).
Windows movie maker has horrible compression/rendering. Hence why the videos don't look as well as they could.
fancyfootwork15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:27 PM   #3237
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2002 WRX - 750WHP
9.5s @ 150mph

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyfootwork15 View Post
Windows movie maker has horrible compression/rendering. Hence why the videos don't look as well as they could.
Straight out of camera they look nothing like the GoPro commercials.
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #3238
fancyfootwork15
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 262503
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minneapolis
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza 2.5i

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xluben
Straight out of camera they look nothing like the GoPro commercials.
I hear ya. Do you have an HD or an HD2? Also, try out adobe premiere for editing. I've had good results with my GP. The GoPro Cineform is actually pretty good also. It's also free.
fancyfootwork15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #3239
Jdub.csu
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 283784
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado
Vehicle:
2013 EVO X GSR
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyfootwork15

I hear ya. Do you have an HD or an HD2? Also, try out adobe premiere for editing. I've had good results with my GP. The GoPro Cineform is actually pretty good also. It's also free.
Adobe <3
Jdub.csu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:14 AM   #3240
ofspunk7
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 249401
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Nord' St Paul
Vehicle:
2005 LGT and 91 MX5

Default

Sony Vegas > Adobe IMHO
ofspunk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:03 AM   #3241
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2002 WRX - 750WHP
9.5s @ 150mph

Default

This may be expected (due to the sensor size), but the footage from the GoPro Hero 2 is no where near the quality of the Canon DSLR's. A crappy editor may make it look marginally worse, but the real issue is in the source quality. The video from the 7D that is edited in Movie Maker looks so much better in comparison.
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #3242
fancyfootwork15
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 262503
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minneapolis
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza 2.5i

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xluben
This may be expected (due to the sensor size), but the footage from the GoPro Hero 2 is no where near the quality of the Canon DSLR's. A crappy editor may make it look marginally worse, but the real issue is in the source quality. The video from the 7D that is edited in Movie Maker looks so much better in comparison.
Clearly, but you're talking $1,000 (or whatever the price) to $200. GoPro is sweet for the shots that you just can't get, or wouldn't risk, with a dslr.
fancyfootwork15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:16 AM   #3243
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2002 WRX - 750WHP
9.5s @ 150mph

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyfootwork15 View Post
Clearly, but you're talking $1,000 (or whatever the price) to $200. GoPro is sweet for the shots that you just can't get, or wouldn't risk, with a dslr.
Yes, I realize the DSLR costs nearly 10x as much as a GoPro, so I would expect it to look better. I just find it disappointing that my GoPro footage looks nothing like the quality of the GoPro promo videos.
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #3244
Dale2011WRX
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 304299
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Nor'East
Vehicle:
2011 WRX, white
2014 Crosstrek, tangerine

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xluben View Post
Yes, I realize the DSLR costs nearly 10x as much as a GoPro, so I would expect it to look better. I just find it disappointing that my GoPro footage looks nothing like the quality of the GoPro promo videos.
Perhaps you need to take it surfing to break it in?
Dale2011WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #3245
ofspunk7
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 249401
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Nord' St Paul
Vehicle:
2005 LGT and 91 MX5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xluben View Post
I just find it disappointing that my GoPro footage looks nothing like the quality of the GoPro promo videos.
That is like me saying.... I bought the same camera as Ben and I am pissed that my photos don't look as good as his.
ofspunk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #3246
INKMAN
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 267837
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY
Vehicle:
2014 Focus ST (ST3)
Tuxedo Black

Default

This is kind of true but the Go Pro has what, 2 settings? I don't think you should have to be a master editor to get good results from it. Photography is a whole different monster. There is way more to learn.
INKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #3247
ofspunk7
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 249401
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Nord' St Paul
Vehicle:
2005 LGT and 91 MX5

Default

^ yeah my example was pretty weak.
ofspunk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:18 PM   #3248
INKMAN
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 267837
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY
Vehicle:
2014 Focus ST (ST3)
Tuxedo Black

Default

Haha, I got what you're saying though. I think all of that stuff is misleading, it never lives up to what they show.
INKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #3249
Jdub.csu
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 283784
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado
Vehicle:
2013 EVO X GSR
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by INKMAN
Haha, I got what you're saying though. I think all of that stuff is misleading, it never lives up to what they show.
It's just like seeing a model in person they never look as good as they do airbrushed on the magazines =( lol
Jdub.csu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #3250
INKMAN
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 267837
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY
Vehicle:
2014 Focus ST (ST3)
Tuxedo Black

Default

Now there's a good example!
INKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
xluben's Pictures and Review of the SPT Exhaust for the 2011 WRX 5 Door Hatch xluben Car Part Reviews 26 11-08-2012 06:55 PM
My first post and my first Subaru, a 2011 WRX 5 door in white. Decade240 Newbies & FAQs 25 06-20-2012 01:48 PM
2011 wrx 5 door hatch with Rota 17"x7.5 +48 5x100 wheels? BretCutler Tire & Wheel 4 01-14-2011 08:05 AM
2011 WRX 5 Door Ruz4life General Community 55 10-13-2010 11:37 PM
2011 WRX 5 Door Ruz4life General Community 10 10-04-2010 04:02 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2016 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2016, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.