Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 16, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Member's Car Gallery

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #5101
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
10.9s @ 126mph

Default

I added a bunch of photos to the thread on my new build. Check them out here:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2484865

Here are a few of them:



















* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
xluben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:42 PM   #5102
rsw0124
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 173013
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Not sure, Sticky 265's & E85
Vehicle:
..08 AwwGrr FTW!
370wtq@5000+ft ^sea level

Default

We all knew you where up to something that's a great looking setup! And that power band
rsw0124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #5103
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
10.9s @ 126mph

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luan87us View Post
I can't believe how much your STI....eeh I mean WRX has progressed lol. Makes my car looks like an R/C toy.
Haha. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkvaron View Post
I haven't been trolling the build threads enough, but we have the bat s#$t crazy xluben "stage one build" haha! The rotated setup, some internal work with the right parts to take power like this, & a good tune makes these boxer engines roar!!! Truely inspirational work, great job!!

I echo FLEX'N's comment of some big brakes to slow this beast down, but fitting something in your RPF1s and those stock wheels could be tough (esp larger 6 piston setups). Brembos would look nice in a 17x9 RPF1, I have been exploring those 5x100 STIs of the past for some meatier wheels/tires... Nothing compares to the cost and weight of those, great wheels!

Then again, leave those brakes alone and people will just wonder where your hood scoop went until you create a black hole from a rolling 40 launch
Yeah, I would need some spacers to clear any big brakes with RPF1's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imxblue View Post
man..the things you do to your car...


The only thing I have planned is a cat-back this spring...
Well, I hope you enjoy it! I always like getting a new exhaust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsw0124 View Post
We all knew you where up to something that's a great looking setup! And that power band
Haha, no. No one suspected a thing
xluben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #5104
wrxman02
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 24162
Join Date: Sep 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Pennsylvania
Vehicle:
2014 Legacy 2.5i
2012 Impreza 2.0i

Default

I think it looks great. Very clean looking. Good luck and be safe. Keep up the great work.
wrxman02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:13 PM   #5105
2011rex18
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 321728
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Buffalo NY
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Limited
DGM

Default

How was the install to change to rotated?
2011rex18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:18 PM   #5106
Jdub.csu
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 283784
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado
Vehicle:
2013 EVO X GSR
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xluben View Post
Is this the boy who cried wolf story? Yes, you have to understand your track record. You just did a 6 speed swap now everything is going. From my train of though your going "stage one" which means in upcoming months you will buy a full rotated kit. Your going stage one but not going back to the stock intercooler?

Damn I'm good

The quote got messed up doing from my phone but haha called it.

Anyways I'm glad it ended up this way
Jdub.csu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #5107
Pearldrummer7
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 277514
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY
Vehicle:
2012 WRX

Default

Whew, beautiful work, per usual. The pictures are great! Definitely jealous!
Pearldrummer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:51 PM   #5108
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
10.9s @ 126mph

Default

I tired doing a ton of sharpening on my out of focus photos. They still look pretty bad though. Car looks stock anyways, so who cares, lol.



xluben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:59 PM   #5109
alexwhitfield26
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 351505
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Washington State
Vehicle:
97 OBS gf8 Wagon
White/gray

Default

I love this car so much O.o
alexwhitfield26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:35 PM   #5110
OxCitywrx09
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 216362
Join Date: Jul 2009
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Ox City
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
DGM

Default

Thanks for making my car feel like a Prius.
OxCitywrx09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:34 PM   #5111
Lrn2Corner
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 246224
Join Date: May 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Chesapeake
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Sedan
12 Rav4 V6

Default

I have been reading your thread since the beginning and to be honest i am not surprised the whole going stage 1 for financial reasons was a joke. Just happy you got around to your newest set up and that you document everything so well.
Anyways as for rpf1s i heard if they are 18x9.5 and you want to fit bigger calipers i heard they clear the fhi 4 and 2 pots but i dont know about the 17s. I have a full set of front and rear calipers in boxes waiting for rebuild kits and a paint job along with supporting mods and hardware.
Just haven't had time or the supporting parts to get the install done. Buying a house sucks up all my mod money for other projects right now.
Lrn2Corner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:09 PM   #5112
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
10.9s @ 126mph

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxman02 View Post
I think it looks great. Very clean looking. Good luck and be safe. Keep up the great work.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011rex18 View Post
How was the install to change to rotated?
The install of the rotated turbo setup isn't hard. The v-band actually makes it pretty easy. Along with it I put in a completely new/rebuild motor and modified many small things along the way (breather, coolant, evap, boost lines, fuel lines, etc). All of these seemingly small things take a long time to get sorted out. It helps to have knowledgeable people (ie. NF) there to help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdub.csu View Post
Damn I'm good

The quote got messed up doing from my phone but haha called it.

Anyways I'm glad it ended up this way
I think people might have read into my statements too much. I simply said I was selling my stuff because I needed money (to buy new parts), and that I was going "Stage 1" (meaning NF Stage 1).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearldrummer7 View Post
Whew, beautiful work, per usual. The pictures are great! Definitely jealous!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhitfield26 View Post
I love this car so much O.o
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OxCitywrx09 View Post
Thanks for making my car feel like a Prius.
Haha! Prius is nice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrn2Corner View Post
I have been reading your thread since the beginning and to be honest i am not surprised the whole going stage 1 for financial reasons was a joke. Just happy you got around to your newest set up and that you document everything so well.
Anyways as for rpf1s i heard if they are 18x9.5 and you want to fit bigger calipers i heard they clear the fhi 4 and 2 pots but i dont know about the 17s. I have a full set of front and rear calipers in boxes waiting for rebuild kits and a paint job along with supporting mods and hardware.
Just haven't had time or the supporting parts to get the install done. Buying a house sucks up all my mod money for other projects right now.
I have 17x9" +35 RPF1's mounted up and ready to on once the snow melts. I believe they only require a fairly small spacer to clear Brembo's. Same with the stock 2011 WRX wheels. Bigger brakes would probably pose much more of a problem. I'm not sure about the 4/2 pot setup, but I have no desire to go to that, as it won't increase performance much.
xluben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:58 AM   #5113
20wrx09
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 207417
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Rensselaer, NY
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
td06sl2-20gtx 413/423

Default

wow didnt see this coming at all…
cant you just not be an attention seeker for once, maybe?

anywho, the rotated kit looks very nice. looks to be a 1.5 scroll since its a vband exhaust inlet. why not just get a twin scroll since you pretty much have it setup for that? and how come you didnt wrap any of your wire harness that sits directly on top of the turbo no air oil separator?
20wrx09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #5114
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
10.9s @ 126mph

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20wrx09 View Post
wow didnt see this coming at all…
cant you just not be an attention seeker for once, maybe?

anywho, the rotated kit looks very nice. looks to be a 1.5 scroll since its a vband exhaust inlet. why not just get a twin scroll since you pretty much have it setup for that? and how come you didnt wrap any of your wire harness that sits directly on top of the turbo no air oil separator?
Thank you for your concerns.

I choose not to post my plans beforehand because then I'm left with people constantly asking about details and looking for results. I find it far more efficient to simply wait until things are done and then post all of the info one time, rather than try to answer many, many individual questions. If I hadn't been selling off all of my parts, then no one would have even known a thing until it was done.

It is a 1.5 scroll because I chose the convenience and great sealing ability of a v-band uppipe connection. A twinscroll T4 flange setup would have cost me the exact same, but I didn't want to deal with that when v-band is so simple and works great. I did get a full twinscroll header, so if I do want to switch I just need a new uppipe and new turbo exhaust housing.

The wire harness is covered in the OEM loom, and routed in the OEM location. The cold side of the turbo does sit significantly higher than the small stock turbo, so it may require additional heat isolation in the future, but so far it seems to be doing OK. I don't have any breather lines routed back into the intake, so I am not concerned with blow by. A catch can may be added later.
xluben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:15 AM   #5115
WRXt4cy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 172698
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Des Moines, IA
Vehicle:
11 STi BW 8374 E85
02 v8 Spec C E85

Default

Very nice work Xluben. I always enjoy your ever evolving setup and the detailed write-ups and pictures.

A couple questions for you:

Did you rebuild your bottom end again for this new setup? I'm curious why you did that. Did something fail in the previous build or were you just looking for even more reliability on this setup?

What are you doing for your breather system? Where are your heads and crankcase venting to?
WRXt4cy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:27 AM   #5116
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
10.9s @ 126mph

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXt4cy View Post
Very nice work Xluben. I always enjoy your ever evolving setup and the detailed write-ups and pictures.

A couple questions for you:

Did you rebuild your bottom end again for this new setup? I'm curious why you did that. Did something fail in the previous build or were you just looking for even more reliability on this setup?

What are you doing for your breather system? Where are your heads and crankcase venting to?
The bottom end is completely new. I went with a 703 block casting because it is thought to be the best. I also got Manley Turbo Tuff rods. These should be a lot stronger than stock rods or H-Beams (I hope). Bearing and pistons are also new. I also got stronger head studs. I hope this will be a motor strong enough to handle this power. My breather system is vented out of the side vent in the fender. I may route it to the rear of the car or into the exhaust eventually.
xluben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #5117
WRXt4cy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 172698
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Des Moines, IA
Vehicle:
11 STi BW 8374 E85
02 v8 Spec C E85

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xluben View Post
The bottom end is completely new. I went with a 703 block casting because it is thought to be the best. I also got Manley Turbo Tuff rods. These should be a lot stronger than stock rods or H-Beams (I hope). Bearing and pistons are also new. I also got stronger head studs. I hope this will be a motor strong enough to handle this power. My breather system is vented out of the side vent in the fender. I may route it to the rear of the car or into the exhaust eventually.
Nice. I like your choices for your build, I'll probably do about the same when my stock block gives out.

So you have your heads vented to atmosphere and running to the side vents? Do you end up with oil residue on the side of your car? Do you have the lines filtered for vacuum conditions when air flows into the heads rather than out of them?

What have you done for crank case venting? Do you use to the intake manifold to draw on the crank case during vacuum? What about under boost? Where does the crank case vent under boost?

Sorry for all the questions, I've spent a lot of time trying to understand the breather system and how it can made better. I'm guessing you've done some homework on this as well and possible got some help from the guys at NF. I've been thinking about trying an exhaust drawn system to vent the crank case but then dealing the heads needing to breath in under vacuum and out under boost is always where I get stuck trying to think of a good solution.
WRXt4cy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:02 PM   #5118
Jdub.csu
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 283784
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado
Vehicle:
2013 EVO X GSR
White

Default

How did the old engine look after the miles you put on it
Jdub.csu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:19 PM   #5119
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
10.9s @ 126mph

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXt4cy View Post
Nice. I like your choices for your build, I'll probably do about the same when my stock block gives out.

So you have your heads vented to atmosphere and running to the side vents? Do you end up with oil residue on the side of your car? Do you have the lines filtered for vacuum conditions when air flows into the heads rather than out of them?

What have you done for crank case venting? Do you use to the intake manifold to draw on the crank case during vacuum? What about under boost? Where does the crank case vent under boost?

Sorry for all the questions, I've spent a lot of time trying to understand the breather system and how it can made better. I'm guessing you've done some homework on this as well and possible got some help from the guys at NF. I've been thinking about trying an exhaust drawn system to vent the crank case but then dealing the heads needing to breath in under vacuum and out under boost is always where I get stuck trying to think of a good solution.
I haven't had any issues with oil residue on my car that I have noticed, but I'm guessing it's probably there. I don't have any valves or filtering on the lines, but I would like to add that. The crankcase is connected to the heads, and the heads go to atmosphere. There is nothing connected to the manifold. There seems to be a lot of opinions out there about ways to set this up. After looking them over and getting advice from NF, this is what I went with. It is really, really simple and it seems to be working OK.
xluben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #5120
WRXt4cy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 172698
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Des Moines, IA
Vehicle:
11 STi BW 8374 E85
02 v8 Spec C E85

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xluben View Post
I haven't had any issues with oil residue on my car that I have noticed, but I'm guessing it's probably there. I don't have any valves or filtering on the lines, but I would like to add that. The crankcase is connected to the heads, and the heads go to atmosphere. There is nothing connected to the manifold. There seems to be a lot of opinions out there about ways to set this up. After looking them over and getting advice from NF, this is what I went with. It is really, really simple and it seems to be working OK.
Ah ok, so assuming my understanding of the breather system is correct, your crank case is never under vacuum so there would never be any air drawn through the heads. Any positive pressure introduced (blow by) would just flow out of the crankcase and heads to the atmosphere.

That is an interesting setup. If there is no real need or little benefit from keeping the crankcase under vacuum then this would be an ideal, maintenance free solution that keeps oil and fuel vapor out of your oil and intake air stream.
WRXt4cy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:07 PM   #5121
ocdpvw
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 282232
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Vehicle:
2012 TP Stage 2
Bagged SWP

Default

Ben, the new setup looks killer! Now I think its time for more low
ocdpvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:16 PM   #5122
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
10.9s @ 126mph

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXt4cy View Post
Ah ok, so assuming my understanding of the breather system is correct, your crank case is never under vacuum so there would never be any air drawn through the heads. Any positive pressure introduced (blow by) would just flow out of the crankcase and heads to the atmosphere.

That is an interesting setup. If there is no real need or little benefit from keeping the crankcase under vacuum then this would be an ideal, maintenance free solution that keeps oil and fuel vapor out of your oil and intake air stream.
That's pretty much it. Very simple. Some will argue that you need that vacuum but some don't think it is necessary. Seems to be working fine as is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocdpvw View Post
Ben, the new setup looks killer! Now I think its time for more low
Maybe someday. For now more low took a backseat to more power!
xluben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #5123
juanmedina
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 133146
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SC
Vehicle:
07 FPgreen 7.37@95
WRX VF39+E85 12.0, 121mph

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xluben View Post
I haven't had any issues with oil residue on my car that I have noticed, but I'm guessing it's probably there. I don't have any valves or filtering on the lines, but I would like to add that. The crankcase is connected to the heads, and the heads go to atmosphere. There is nothing connected to the manifold. There seems to be a lot of opinions out there about ways to set this up. After looking them over and getting advice from NF, this is what I went with. It is really, really simple and it seems to be working OK.
Can you post some pics? because I need to route mine likes yours. I have no idea how the system works nor I care haha... I just want to do it correctly.

Not my pic haha



So the green lines stay as they are...
The blue lines go to atmosphere...
Red, orange and all other lines get cap off...

Correct?
juanmedina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #5124
xluben
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
10.9s @ 126mph

Default

Green stay. Essentially blue, red, and orange are all T'd together and vented. You don't need that many hoses but that's basically what's happening.
xluben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:29 PM   #5125
ocdpvw
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 282232
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Vehicle:
2012 TP Stage 2
Bagged SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xluben View Post
.


Maybe someday. For now more low took a backseat to more power!
I respect that . I'll go more power once this isn't my daily. Keep up the great work!
ocdpvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
xluben's Pictures and Review of the SPT Exhaust for the 2011 WRX 5 Door Hatch xluben Car Part Reviews 26 11-08-2012 06:55 PM
My first post and my first Subaru, a 2011 WRX 5 door in white. Decade240 Newbies & FAQs 25 06-20-2012 01:48 PM
2011 wrx 5 door hatch with Rota 17"x7.5 +48 5x100 wheels? BretCutler Tire & Wheel 4 01-14-2011 08:05 AM
2011 WRX 5 Door Ruz4life General Community 55 10-13-2010 11:37 PM
2011 WRX 5 Door Ruz4life General Community 10 10-04-2010 04:02 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.