Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday September 1, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Tire & Wheel

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2010, 07:10 PM   #1
cj_WReX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 243660
Join Date: Apr 2010
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Denvah
Vehicle:
89 964 c4

Default alignment question

only have 10k miles on my 2010 wrx 5-door.

bought 16 inch enkei edr's with bridgestone blizzak ws60 195/60/16 from tire rack pre-mounted and balanced.

Mounted the new setup a couple of days ago. the tires are sloppy as hell on dry pavement as expected. The only thing that concerns me is that the car pulls slightly right on the interstate. And I mean slightly. Is this a concern? Should I get an alignment? How often are you supposed to get an alignment? Once a year or every time I swap out tires?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
cj_WReX is offline  
Old 11-18-2010, 08:18 PM   #2
jutes85
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 127232
Join Date: Sep 2006
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Suck Lake, Alberta
Vehicle:
E92 M3
98' Foz

Default

I get an alignment once a year regardless of suspension or tire changes.
jutes85 is offline  
Old 11-18-2010, 08:40 PM   #3
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj_WReX View Post
only have 10k miles on my 2010 wrx 5-door.

bought 16 inch enkei edr's with bridgestone blizzak ws60 195/60/16 from tire rack pre-mounted and balanced.

Mounted the new setup a couple of days ago. the tires are sloppy as hell on dry pavement as expected. The only thing that concerns me is that the car pulls slightly right on the interstate. And I mean slightly. Is this a concern? Should I get an alignment? How often are you supposed to get an alignment? Once a year or every time I swap out tires?
your factory alignment is garbage in any event....they all are

factory 'specs' suck real-REAL bad
Uncle Scotty is offline  
Old 11-18-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
calibrationx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 257423
Join Date: Sep 2010
Vehicle:
2014 Legacy
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

If it pulls to the right you should take it in for an alignment. The dealer covered my 1st under warranty.
calibrationx is offline  
Old 11-18-2010, 10:36 PM   #5
cj_WReX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 243660
Join Date: Apr 2010
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Denvah
Vehicle:
89 964 c4

Default

wonder if an alignment will still be covered under warranty now that I've put on a different wheel/tire setup
cj_WReX is offline  
Old 11-18-2010, 11:47 PM   #6
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj_WReX View Post
wonder if an alignment will still be covered under warranty now that I've put on a different wheel/tire setup
irrelevant
Uncle Scotty is offline  
Old 11-19-2010, 12:16 AM   #7
speedyHAM
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 48377
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: "They eat fish soaked in lye"
Vehicle:
1996 Gutted, built
XP class Impreza L

Default

Most dealers will only check to make sure the alignment is within spec under warranty. The factory specs are so loose that your car is more than likely well within spec.

Take it to somewhere that knows what they are doing and will give you a printout of the results after they have aligned it.
speedyHAM is offline  
Old 11-19-2010, 11:08 AM   #8
calibrationx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 257423
Join Date: Sep 2010
Vehicle:
2014 Legacy
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj_WReX View Post
wonder if an alignment will still be covered under warranty now that I've put on a different wheel/tire setup
If the wheel/tire set up is the same or close to oem spec, then they likely won't deny it. But i've heard of some getting denied for wheel/tire setups too far off from oem.
calibrationx is offline  
Old 11-19-2010, 11:56 AM   #9
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibrationx View Post
If the wheel/tire set up is the same or close to oem spec, then they likely won't deny it. But i've heard of some getting denied for wheel/tire setups too far off from oem.
the point being that if hes only changing out wheels and tires, he does not need an alignment.
sc00by4life is offline  
Old 11-21-2010, 08:09 PM   #10
cj_WReX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 243660
Join Date: Apr 2010
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Denvah
Vehicle:
89 964 c4

Default

Could it be that the wheels are.out of balance? Tire rack mounted and balances them but maybe they got unbalanced during the shipment
cj_WReX is offline  
Old 11-21-2010, 11:52 PM   #11
jdmboy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 240161
Join Date: Mar 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2002 wrx wagon R.I.P
87 bmw e30

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj_WReX View Post
Could it be that the wheels are.out of balance? Tire rack mounted and balances them but maybe they got unbalanced during the shipment
its not likely, an unbalanced wheel and tire is more likely to cause a vibration or something of that sort the only way i know of (could be wrong) that a properly mounted and bananced wheel and tire will cause your car to pull is if there is a radial pull problem with the tire, you can diagnose this by swapping the wheels around and seeing if the pull changes.

as for the alignment its tricky as everyone has said the factory alignment is trash. as for how often you should get an alignment, you need to get one as often as you need to get one (when something gets out of whack). I work at a car dealer and like many other users i can do an alignement my self or have one of my techs do it for next to nothing. that said i get an alignment every winter (when i put my winter set up on) and every spring (when i put my summer set up on). I always go with zero toe all the way around and -1.5 degrees of camber up front and -1 degrees of camber in the back (for winter) and -2 degrees of camber up front and -1.5 degrees in the back (for summer).
jdmboy is offline  
Old 11-22-2010, 12:53 PM   #12
cj_WReX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 243660
Join Date: Apr 2010
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Denvah
Vehicle:
89 964 c4

Default

I dropped the car off at the dealership today for an alignment. Highly doubt this will be covered through warranty.
cj_WReX is offline  
Old 11-22-2010, 03:55 PM   #13
cj_WReX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 243660
Join Date: Apr 2010
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Denvah
Vehicle:
89 964 c4

Default

Picked up the wrex from the dealership.............. $90 alignment. It is not pulling to right like it was which is good.

The front right was adjusted from -0.5 degrees camber to 0 degrees

The front right toe was adjusted from 0.12 degrees to -0.01 degrees

The right rear toe was adjusted from -0.08 degrees to -0.01 degrees

So it wasn't too far out of alignment.....
cj_WReX is offline  
Old 11-22-2010, 05:24 PM   #14
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj_WReX View Post
Picked up the wrex from the dealership.............. $90 alignment. It is not pulling to right like it was which is good.

The front right was adjusted from -0.5 degrees camber to 0 degrees

The front right toe was adjusted from 0.12 degrees to -0.01 degrees

The right rear toe was adjusted from -0.08 degrees to -0.01 degrees

So it wasn't too far out of alignment.....
you got ****ed in the ass with that alignment

0 camber is DANGEROUS
Uncle Scotty is offline  
Old 11-22-2010, 06:06 PM   #15
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj_WReX View Post
Picked up the wrex from the dealership.............. $90 alignment. It is not pulling to right like it was which is good.

The front right was adjusted from -0.5 degrees camber to 0 degrees

The front right toe was adjusted from 0.12 degrees to -0.01 degrees

The right rear toe was adjusted from -0.08 degrees to -0.01 degrees

So it wasn't too far out of alignment.....
Take it back and get it realigned. Tell them you want a competent technician doing the alignment.
sc00by4life is offline  
Old 11-22-2010, 06:52 PM   #16
cj_WReX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 243660
Join Date: Apr 2010
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Denvah
Vehicle:
89 964 c4

Default

it only has 0 degrees camber in the front.

The rear is -1.4 degrees on the right and -1.3 on the left.

I don't feel like going back and arguing with the service department. Is o degrees camber really dangerous?
cj_WReX is offline  
Old 11-22-2010, 07:42 PM   #17
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj_WReX View Post
it only has 0 degrees camber in the front.

The rear is -1.4 degrees on the right and -1.3 on the left.

I don't feel like going back and arguing with the service department. Is o degrees camber really dangerous?



THAT is a REAL-REAL stupid alignment


guaranteed to kill you quick if you ever have to make a quick turn

you WILL slide straight into whatever it is you think you will avoid

promise


bad juju
Uncle Scotty is offline  
Old 11-22-2010, 08:01 PM   #18
Patrick Olsen
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 120
Join Date: Jul 1999
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Where the Navy sends me...
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
QuickSilver Metallic

Default

Scott's flair for exaggeration strikes again. 0deg camber up front is certainly not optimal, and will almost certainly lead to accelerated wear on the outside shoulders of the tires, but it's hardly "dangerous". To say that is just silly.

Maybe Scott drives like an ass-clown on the street and thus is in danger of sliding straight into anything he's trying to avoid. The other tens of millions of drivers on US roads today, the overwhelming majority of whom have crappy alignments, don't seem to be crashing all around me as I run errands.

As is covered in basically every alignment thread on this forum, you want some negative camber up front for improved handling and tire wear. I don't know what the new body styles will get with the factory adjustment, but on the pre-'08s you would get somewhere in the -1 to -1.5 ballpark, which is about perfect for the average driver.

It certainly can't hurt to go ask the dealer to re-perform the alignment, but I would guess they're not likely to help you. The alignment is in spec, and that's probably what they'll tell you.

Pat Olsen
Patrick Olsen is offline  
Old 11-22-2010, 08:06 PM   #19
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
Scott's flair for exaggeration strikes again. 0deg camber up front is certainly not optimal, and will almost certainly lead to accelerated wear on the outside shoulders of the tires, but it's hardly "dangerous". To say that is just silly.

Maybe Scott drives like an ass-clown on the street and thus is in danger of sliding straight into anything he's trying to avoid. The other tens of millions of drivers on US roads today, the overwhelming majority of whom have crappy alignments, don't seem to be crashing all around me as I run errands.

As is covered in basically every alignment thread on this forum, you want some negative camber up front for improved handling and tire wear. I don't know what the new body styles will get with the factory adjustment, but on the pre-'08s you would get somewhere in the -1 to -1.5 ballpark, which is about perfect for the average driver.

It certainly can't hurt to go ask the dealer to re-perform the alignment, but I would guess they're not likely to help you. The alignment is in spec, and that's probably what they'll tell you.

Pat Olsen

blow me, Pat

0 camber in front is dangerous

no possible doubt....and just plain stupid as well


only a total ****ing moron would align a wrx with 0 camber in front

are YOU one of those???
Uncle Scotty is offline  
Old 11-22-2010, 08:08 PM   #20
cj_WReX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 243660
Join Date: Apr 2010
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Denvah
Vehicle:
89 964 c4

Default

well what a waste of my fuggin time.

What Camber should I have them setup?

-1 up front and -1.5 in for the rear as suggested by JDMboy?

Why do they do they do 0 degrees camber in front if it's "dangerous"?

BTW - the car is still going slightly right .... getting frustrated
cj_WReX is offline  
Old 11-22-2010, 08:16 PM   #21
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

forget the 'going to the right'....that is because of the crown of the road


but zero camber will make the car understeer even worse than it already does...add slippery surface and all done

ya want as much negative camber as can be made to happen, even side to side and done
Uncle Scotty is offline  
Old 11-22-2010, 09:47 PM   #22
jdmboy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 240161
Join Date: Mar 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2002 wrx wagon R.I.P
87 bmw e30

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj_WReX View Post
well what a waste of my fuggin time.

What Camber should I have them setup?

-1 up front and -1.5 in for the rear as suggested by JDMboy?

Why do they do they do 0 degrees camber in front if it's "dangerous"?

BTW - the car is still going slightly right .... getting frustrated
no no no you read my post wrong i said -1.5 up front and -1 in the rear, but seeing as you have -1.5 in the rear as it is(its unadjustable) if i were you i would max out the front in an effort to cut down on understeer and balance the car. honestly you have too much negative camber in the rear, the 08+ subies have a rear suspension problem, that problem being that the rear end grips too well. yes i said it grips too well making the car drastically un balanced from a handling stand point (its going to understeer like a mother****er)


oh and BTW id like to meet the ****tard that put your camber at 0 upfront, if you dont drive like an 80 year old lady your going to destroy the outside shoulder of your tires.
jdmboy is offline  
Old 11-23-2010, 11:14 AM   #23
Patrick Olsen
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 120
Join Date: Jul 1999
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Where the Navy sends me...
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
QuickSilver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
blow me, Pat
Grow up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
0 camber in front is dangerous

no possible doubt....and just plain stupid as well
So what do you know that the Subaru engineers don't? You know, the guys who designed these cars and spec'd an alignment that is "dangerous"? The factory spec for front camber is -10’ (note that’s minutes, not degrees) for the WRX in both sedan and wagon configurations. (The spec for the Outback Sport is even less, only -5', or -0.08°.) The Factory Service Manual says the tolerance is ± 45’, so converting to degrees that gives us -0.17° ± 0.75°. In other words, it's permissible to have positive front camber. Considering how poor the alignments typically are coming off the assembly line I'm willing to bet there are Subarus being sold today with 0° or even positive camber.

To say that such an alignment is "dangerous" is simply not borne out by the facts. If it was dangerous, Subaru's engineers wouldn't spec the cars to be built that way. If it was dangerous, there wouldn't be hundreds of thousands of cars of assorted brands safely navigating the road today with such alignments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
only a total ****ing moron would align a wrx with 0 camber in front
Or a dealer technician aligning a car to factory specifications. If you want more from an alignment, don't take it to a dealership and/or don't let them do the alignment without any guidance on where you want it set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj_WReX View Post
well what a waste of my fuggin time.

What Camber should I have them setup?
There are a bazillion alignment threads in this forum. Reading just one of those before you took your car to the dealership would've saved a lot of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj_WReX View Post
Why do they do they do 0 degrees camber in front if it's "dangerous"?
It's not dangerous. Ignore Scott's hyperbole. Your car won't handle as well as it could, and you will wear the outer shoulders of your front tires (unless you drive like a Grandma, as jdmboy said), but it's not dangerous.
Patrick Olsen is offline  
Old 11-23-2010, 09:04 PM   #24
cj_WReX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 243660
Join Date: Apr 2010
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Denvah
Vehicle:
89 964 c4

Default

FYI - if you go to GO Subaru on Arapahoe for an alignment these are the specs you can expect.
cj_WReX is offline  
Old 11-23-2010, 09:13 PM   #25
nhat
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 140163
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: 3MI Racing
Vehicle:
03 STi
hellaflunctional

Default

those are the specs at every dealership. never go to a dealership for an alignment...
nhat is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
alignment question for the alignment gurus... jonjonkills101 Brakes, Steering & Suspension 2 01-18-2009 12:57 PM
Alignment question for those that changed their suspension themselves Bob O Brakes, Steering & Suspension 9 04-24-2001 09:26 AM
alignment question mitsubaru Southern California Impreza Club Forum -- SCIC 1 04-18-2001 05:46 PM
Alignment question wrx55 Vancouver Impreza Club Forum -- VIC 4 01-11-2001 04:38 AM
Wheel change & Alignment question? Robmat South East Region Forum 2 01-01-2001 08:02 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.