Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday July 22, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Tire & Wheel

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
gigabytexbc
*** Banned ***

Member#: 123767
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Stage 2+
Gray

Default 2009 WRX Chicagoland Winter Tires

well, it's been snowing and my 09 doesn't compare to my 05 wrx(which had all seasons) as it has stock performance tires etc... so, i need a tire for winter. i'm not looking to spend to much but i have no idea about tires. i still have the stock rims and weather, well, chicagoland so figure heavy snow beginning now up until mid january then pretty cold and icy/snowy until it warms up. i bought my 09 wrx towards the end of winter last year so i just dealt with it.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by gigabytexbc; 12-10-2010 at 12:09 PM.
gigabytexbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:17 PM   #2
DiRTyDT
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 265537

Yeah, I live in Chicago suburbs as well. I've ordered my WRX and it should be here within a couple weeks. I have been doing research on getting some winter tires, but haven't found anything yet around $400 or so. I don't want to spend $800+ for a tirerack winter package deal or $600 for a local winter tire deal. Either case, I still have my TSX to get me through the snow for now. Let me know if you find something good.
DiRTyDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
gigabytexbc
*** Banned ***

Vehicle:
2009 WRX Stage 2+
Gray

yea exactly. i'm thinking of just going to discount tires and seeing what is best priced etc...
Old 12-11-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
wtwwholesaletire
Vendor

Member#: 98066
Vehicle:
2003 forester
white

we are a local dealer for chicago land plus we stock over 50,000 snow tires, we have a special deal for all NASIOC members. i can not post pricing please contact me tom@waukegantire.com
wtwwholesaletire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:10 PM   #5
BCallahan
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 221593
Vehicle:
2010 WRX H/B
SWP

I just bought a set of 16" steelies w/Blizzak WS70s and have been questioning it. Only got to really use them in one snow so far, and they were fantastic, but I cringe when I have to drive them on dry pavement as I can just feel the tread being stripped away along with my money spent on them. Of course, once we get some big snow I'm sure I'll be all smiles.

I've read, however, that you can get by on a good all season and that they should last longer and be more responsive for dry, aggressive driving.

I think it comes down to how much winter driving you do and the level of reliance you'll have on your car.

For example, I'm a teacher who works 10 miles from school. Not sure if I "need" all that tire, but it's nice to know its there.

Let us know what you go with, and what you think. I'd love to hear it.
BCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #6
gigabytexbc
*** Banned ***

Vehicle:
2009 WRX Stage 2+
Gray

yea, i live in addison and work as a manager in arlington heights. it's about 15 miles away up north just got home now and it's snowing. i mean, for sure doable just i like to feel planted haha. we'll see what i do to but i shall let you know. awesome last night coming home, some dude in a truck pulling a trailer, now i was doing 70 ha, and he zipped right past me and then SPIN OUT. crazy stuff. no one hurt i just laughed and thought wow, that was awesome.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:23 AM   #7
Inspectorlee
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 92725
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Silver

Default For what it's worth...

I'm running Dunlop Wintersport 3D in 205/55/16. Bought them as a package with steelies from Tirerack, spent around $650-ish, can't remember. This will be my second winter on them, I expect to get a third winter, and maybe a fourth, depending on my driving habits.

For some reason, I'm not really liking them. They are "performance" snow tires, and I knew the trade offs when I bought them. But realistically, the roads here get plowed usually within 6 hours of a major storm or so, so I figured I would be okay with this versus a "studless snow/ice" tire, which is my usual go to tire choice. My major complaint is that the car understeers a lot with them on. Granted, it might just be me expecting too much from any tire on snow, but still...Let's put it this way: Last winter, when the tires were brand new, I found an empty parking lot and practiced panic slides/turns/etc. I was expecting to be blown away by the magic of AWD and snow tires, and instead, I was disappointed by the fact that my car pushed like crazy in the snow. I actually lost confidence in my car.

For reference, in the past, I've had three cars, each with different tires:

1991 Nissan 240sx (Bridgestone Blizzaks WS50): This was my first car, and first experience with snow tires. This car blew me away with it's handling in the winter. Maybe it was the RWD or maybe it's just my memory romanticizing the past (it's possible, hahaha) but I remember this car as being lots of fun in the snow.

2001 Mazda Protege MP3 (Dunlop Graspic DS-3): The tires are considered a studless ice/snow tire, and they worked pretty well. The car ran pretty well in winter. I attribute that to the car's light weight and great factory suspension. However, personally, I didn't think they were as good as the Blizzacks on my 240sx.

2004 WRX (current ride w/ above mentioned tires): As stated, I'm a little underwhelmed, but that may just be because I'm expecting too much from my car. It's also possible that I just suck at winter driving. However, I did drive this car in a winter storm from here to Detroit (approx. 400 miles) and was able to do a steady 65-70 mph almost the entire way. The storm basically just sat over me and followed me all the way. The car always felt stable while driving, even in the presence of blowing snow and 3-4 inches of slush.

Even with all that complaining, they are still better than the high performance all-seasons that I usually have on the WRX. I've been able to drive through 5-6 inch unplowed snow with no problem, it's only when I'm trying to turn (at say 10-15 mph-ish) that I actually lose confidence a little.

Basically, decide if you want a performance winter tire, or a snow/ice tire. That should at least narrow down the choices. I think I'm going back to Blizzaks when these wear out or else give the General Altimax Arctic a shot.

And FWIW, I run my tires a little higher, around 38-40 psi. Also, my struts are in need of replacement, so this may affect the way my car feels. But yes, get snow tires and you'll be happy.
Inspectorlee is offline   Reply With Quote