Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday April 17, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
New England Subaru Impreza Club
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > New England Impreza Club Forum -- NESIC > NESIC Vendor Classifieds

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:37 AM   #1
CBINS
Former Vendor
Vendor Sales Rating: (0)

Member#: 265645
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2006 STiPad

Default The STiPad Project - Now available for pre-order!

Now available for Pre-Ordering!

Announcing the first and only direct replacement solution to put an Apple iPad in your 2005-2007 Subaru Impreza, WRX, or STi. You've see the videos and hopefully followed the development thread, but we're nearing full blown production!

You already have the iPad and your Subaru, now you can combine them in a sleek, OEM-style integration. There's no cutting, no fabricating, no trial and error here. Simply remove your stock radio and upper/lower bezels and this unit, using ALL the same mounting points and hardware, snaps right into place! Even your HVAC mounts up just like before. For more information, keep scrolling to the FAQ below.

The NASIOC community has been so supportive and helpful in taking this project from concept to reality that, for a limited time, we are offering special pre-order pricing for forum members!

What's included?

• 1 2005-2007 STiPad bezel, painted
  • 1 retainer tab left, painted
  • 1 retainer tab right, painted
  • 1 iPad dock tray, unpainted
  • 1 set of adhesive cosmetics
  • 6 #6-32 x 1/4" screws
  • 2 #6-32 x 3/8" screws
What do you still need?
  • Apple iPad docking station
  • Amplifier
  • Volume controller / Equalizer
We're working diligently on the 2008-current models now, so keep checking back for updates!

-Justin

-----------------------------
Can't Believe It's Not Stock! Parts, LLC
Visit us at www.cbinsparts.com
Contact us at JRiley@CBINSParts.com
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
CBINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:37 AM   #2
CBINS
Former Vendor

Vehicle:
2006 STiPad

Old 12-18-2010, 01:38 AM   #3
CBINS
Former Vendor

Vehicle:
2006 STiPad

Frequently Asked Questions

I'll be adding to this as the questions come in. If you have a question that's NOT answered here, please PM me and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Q: Is this even legal?
A: As with most automotive modifications, please check with your local law enforcement regarding the legality/illegality of doing this. In every state, full motion video in view of the driver is illegal and should never be done unless the car is in park with the emergency brake applied. In some states that have adopted anti-texting laws, the laws extend to inputs to computers. However, just because the iPad can do these things typically does not make putting it in your car illegal. It's the same reason you don't get a ticket for going 150 mph just because your car can go 150 mph -- you have to actually do it.

Q: Wouldn't using the iPad while driving be distracting, even dangerous?
A: Depending on what you're doing, yes! Always practice safe driving. I did a few quick videos on the topic with the assistance of mp3car.com. You can use
to do a lot of actions as well as
to keep your eyes on the road.

Q: The glare must be crazy! Does it affect driving?
A: I've never had a glare issue affecting my ability to drive. If your screen is really dirty it will light up when light hits it and make it difficult to see the screen, but this only happens in very specific circumstances, typically at sunset/sunrise when the sun is coming directly "through" your passenger seat hitting the iPad.

The iPad also auto-adjusts brightness, so when it is bright out, the display gets cranked up, making seeing the screen easy.

Q: Really, how tough is install?
A:
The video was made with one of the rapid prototypes, but the methodology is still the same!

Q: How do I get music out of the iPad?
A: Your iPad sits in the Apple iPad dock, which can provide audio output either via the 30-pin connector or the stereo out jack. Use a few tricks with the 30-pin and you can get digital audio out!

Q: I like my radio stations... will I lose them?
A: In most cases, no! In fact, you'll gain hundreds and hundreds more. Most major radio stations broadcast their music streams online now. Many go through larger apps like ShoutCast, iHeart Radio, or AOL Radio as well. Now you can get your radio station where ever you are!

Q: Does it do GPS?
A: If you have the iPad 3G, then yes, it does! I fully endorse the Navigon app for all of your navigation needs, but check out some of the other apps out there and find what works for you!

Q: I want engine diagnostics but the iPad doesn't have an input for it. Can I still get them?
A: Yes, using PLX Device's Kiwi Wifi and either the DashCommand or Rev app.

Q: I've read up on carputers. They can do everything while the iPad is limited by its apps. Why would I ever do this over that?
A: My favorite question. Having run both setups, I can tell you that a traditional carputer is a great thing. I can also tell you that it's a mess. You've got the computer, the power controller, the GPS antenna, the 3G antenna, the monitor, and oh-so-many cables. Ignition-to-music times vary from 20 seconds to 90 seconds depending on your setup (I never got below 40 seconds). And, most importantly, a traditional carputer is JUST a carputer. You can't take it out, you can't use it in your home, on a plane, on vacation, at work... it is solely a carputer.
Using an iPad as a carputer is a very neat and easy solution to get much of the traditional carputing functionality without the hassle of traditional carputers. And when you're out of the car, the iPad can come with you!

Q: This thing is going to get stolen in 10 seconds, right?
A: Well, that's up to you. The iPad fits neatly in your glove box and un-docks faster than any aftermarket head unit I've ever seen. Slip it out of the bezel and into your glove box and feel pretty safe about it.

Q: What about when I want to sell my car. Can I put it back together EXACTLY as it was before I did this?
A: Yes, you can. Save all of your parts and just pop out the STiPad bezel and pop back in the stock pieces.

Q: My HVAC looks different (probably because I have the TR). Will this bezel work with my Subie?
A: Sadly, no. The HVAC cutouts match up to the automatic HVAC which was on the vast majority of the Subarus produced. With some fiberglass and resin I'm sure you can make it work, but I can't promise that.

Q: Is the paint a good match?
A: Very. OEM paint is a metallic-chip paint, meaning that there are very fine flakes mixed in that appear to reflect differently depending on how the light hits it. There's no Krylon spray that can match it... I had to have a special paint made to get it very, very close.