Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday May 24, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:52 PM   #1
BLK98OUTBACKLTD
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 268357
Exclamation Help! Will this work??? 96 2.5(lower hp, lower compression) into 98 Outback???

Hi everyone, hope I can get some help on this... I have searched and searched on this topic!! I read that the 96 Outback 2.5 is different from 97+ 2.5 DOHCs because of HLA heads and lower compression...

Here is my situation...
I have a 98 OB with a badly blown engine, you can see oil and metal pieces when you open the TB and the engine is seized.
I have a 96 OB that was a write off, mechanically very sound, starts well and drives well but the front left fender, headlight and bumper and lower control arm took a hit. already bought the pieces to fix it but now thinking of using the engine for the 98 and parting out the rest. Only have $700.00CAN tied up in it.
Last choice is throw in a JDM engine but that will run me closer to $1000CAN by the time I pay taxes.

Have the 98 engine almost out!! So would the 96 engine work??? Would I have to swap computers and what would that require??? Should I just wait till I can afford the JDM??? Either way I'm going to use the 98 intake....

Thanks so much!!!
BLK98OUTBACKLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2010, 10:20 PM   #2
Storm
Scooby Guru

Member#: 5218
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
96L Most Over-
Developed Beater

Should be a direct drop in swap. Use the 98 manifold on it, complete with the sensors and stuff. EGR will mate right up as will fuel rails, vacuum lines, etc....

No changes in timing components or ECU required, just drop it in and go.

Jay
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:23 PM   #3
BLK98OUTBACKLTD
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Jay! I'm really trying to get my head around the fact that the 98 computer would work properly with the lower compression engine. That engine also required 91 octane fuel..... So how will it run with the 98 computer? Will I be fine running 87 octane?? What about fuel mileage? Would this combination have the same/different hp rating???

Sorry for all the questions! New to Subies but have done heads/cam/intake work on other cars!!!!
Old 12-28-2010, 09:30 PM   #4
Patrick Olsen
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 120
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
QuickSilver Metallic

I had a JDM engine that had the HLA heads, so I assume it was equivalent to our '96 EJ25. It ran just great on my stock '97 ECU and put down excellent power on the dyno. Someone else (can't remember who, but one of the old guard types) found similar results running the HLA engine on a newer ECU.

Pat Olsen
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:04 PM   #5
BLK98OUTBACKLTD
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Pat for some real world info, makes me feel more confident that this swap will work out!
Old 12-29-2010, 07:16 AM   #6
Storm
Scooby Guru

Member#: 5218
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
96L Most Over-
Developed Beater

I'm pretty sure the timing curve of the 96 EJ25 ECU was agressive. Agressive enough to prompt Subaru to specify premium fuel. I didn't see anything inside the heads or combustion chambers that would lead me to believe it needed premium fuel. Running it on the 98 ECU will not be a problem. I ran a 96 motor on a 96 EJ18 ECU with no problems and later on a 98RS ECU with no problems (aside from codes for emissions functions that I had disabled).

Rest easy knowing that the ECU will not know or care that you changed the motor.

Jay
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote