Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday June 29, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Member's Car Gallery

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-30-2016, 12:18 PM   #1
crankWRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 244386
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2016 WRX 6MT Stg 2
Crystal Pearl White

Default crankWRX's 2016 WRX Build "Project Elsa"

Hey everyone! I will save everything the normal Subaru Owner backstory and just jump right into it.

In Sep 2015 I bought a 2016 WRX Base. It came with the "STI short shifter" more on that later... but that was the only "add on" it had. Which is exactly what I wanted, a blank canvas to build a car that I could be proud off. I also have a two year old daughter, with all that said "Elsa" joined the family.

First Mod was the Rally Armor Mud flaps, I mean it is a Subaru after all... After that I wanted to continue the white on black theme so I got the windows tented, 5% all around.

One of the things that drove me crazy about the base model was the lack of light from the factory lights, in comes LED upgrades for low/high beams and C-Light DRL conversion with LED upgrade. Also disabled the Highbeam DRLs

Within two months of purchase "Elsa has seen more of the country than most cars on the road. I currently live in San Diego, CA and for the holidays I drove back to Tampa, FL to visit family before head up to North Carolina for work for 8 weeks. After that you guessed it We drove back to San Diego.

Once I got back to SD, I was able to get a set of Enkei TS-9 18x8 +50, wrapped those in Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2 245/40R18 which really dropped the road noise from the factory tires.

Now all this time I have been running MAPerformance Stage 1 Tune which honestly really stepped up the driving experience of the car and will be what most people stop at. But I was on the hunt for more, without turning Elsa into something that wasnt enjoyable to drive.

Enter MAPerformance Stage 2 Kit, Intake, J-Pipe (Catless), CBE (w/ Mufflers) also their Tuning for all the above all parts. Install went as expected with "newer" kits. Overall quality was awesome! Did the install with a buddy who was also installing the same kit. We both have the luxury of installing on lifts which makes everything 100xs easier!

Yes the full Kit fits in the car with the seats folded down:

First Impressions wow any video you have watched on this kit doesnt give it any justice the sound is 100xs better in person! I havent been able to really get on it yet since I am still running logs to make sure everything is save before really ripping on it.

I was able to get some "Noise" measurements before and after which are below:

Stock:
Idle ~75
Cruise(65-70) ~85

Stage 2:
Idle ~76
Cruise(65-70) ~88

Now with being said the Exhaust note is there but nothing that isnt unlivable. If you jump on it say cruising in 6th and down shift to 4th and WOT it will wake you up for sure!

Now I also added the PRL Motorsports Intake "Box"

I did this for two reasons, I wanted to still be able to use the factory front scoop also wanted to keep a "stealthish" look. Now that fitment wasnt perfect but with some "encouragement" (bending) it works. Just reuse the hardware from the factory intake and it works. Now I will post an update after a few weeks maybe some videos and dynos.

Wanna give a HUGE Shout out to Ian and Brian over at MAPerformance both of which have been awesome and would highly recommend anyone to work with them. If you're on the fence about buying the MAPerformance Stg 1 or Stg 2 kits just buy it you will be happy that you did.

Mod Listing:
Engine/Tuning:
MAPerformance Intake
PRL Intake Box
MAPerformance TBE (catless)
ProcessWest Verticooler + ChargePipes
Cobb AccessPort
Tuned by Eric @ Torqued Performance

Drivetrain:
Kartboy Shortshifter
Kartboy Shifter Bearing

Wheels/Tires/Brakes:
Enkei TS9 5x114.3 +50 offset
Hankook Ventus S1 nobles2 (245/40R18)

Exterior/Lighting:
Rally Armor Mud Flaps
OLM LED Light Conversion
C-Light DRL Conversion
Window Tint 5%

Sound/Interior:
Flossy Grip Rod REDHEAD! Shift Knob

Here are some other pictures credit to Brandon Lewis for the shots! his
IG: @carbonfire

Last edited by crankWRX; 06-09-2016 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Updated Mod Listing
crankWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2016, 12:56 PM   #2
panerai28
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 413392

Thanks for the write up. Looking forward to more updates!

On a side note, glad to know the Prl box will work with the map intake.
panerai28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:58 PM   #3
Amracer12
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 432293

That's awesome I'm currently waiting on my map stage 2 kit do you plan on running the car down the 1/4mi or dynoing ?
Amracer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 02:14 PM   #4
crankWRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX 6MT Stg 2
Crystal Pearl White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amracer12 View Post
That's awesome I'm currently waiting on my map stage 2 kit do you plan on running the car down the 1/4mi or dynoing ?

1/4 no... But dyno at some point yes
Old 04-30-2016, 04:32 PM   #5
The Fan
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 421937
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
WR Blue

How's the logs been? I'm in the sd area too, with the map catted j, Cobb cbe, and stock intake etuned. My wot logs seem fine but there's so many knock events during cruising speeds, up to -4. Everyone seems to agree it's all false knock.
The Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:47 AM   #6
Kalbra1926
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 443815
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Red

Straight up beautifulllll!!

My stage 2 kit is being delivered today... can't freakin wait. Being that it gets pretty damn hot here in NJ, i may also try out that makeshift box option you created, glad to see that it fits/works and is available as an option.
Kalbra1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:52 AM   #7
crankWRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX 6MT Stg 2
Crystal Pearl White

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fan View Post
How's the logs been? I'm in the sd area too, with the map catted j, Cobb cbe, and stock intake etuned. My wot logs seem fine but there's so many knock events during cruising speeds, up to -4. Everyone seems to agree it's all false knock.

So far from what I can tell on my end logs are looking good, but I wanna wait until Brain and Ian get back to me to let me know what they think. But looks solid honestly, I am still getting the "false knock" that everyone seems to get and I also got with STG1 but honestly as long as DAM ain't changing I am happy lol
Old 05-02-2016, 09:59 AM   #8
maperformance
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 141043
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
DGM

Beautiful car man! Glad you are enjoying it so far! I do see you emailed me some logs, so I will get that over to Brian. Again, thanks for the business
maperformance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:01 AM   #9
crankWRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX 6MT Stg 2
Crystal Pearl White

Quote:
Originally Posted by maperformance View Post
Beautiful car man! Glad you are enjoying it so far! I do see you emailed me some logs, so I will get that over to Brian. Again, thanks for the business

Now I'm just waiting on charge pipes to do TMIC as well cooooooome on MAP step up the R&D
Old 05-02-2016, 10:10 AM   #10
crankWRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX 6MT Stg 2
Crystal Pearl White

Quote:
Originally Posted by maperformance View Post

Thanks!!!! You guys helped so much!!!
Old 05-02-2016, 01:58 PM   #11
The Fan
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 421937
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
WR Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankWRX View Post
So far from what I can tell on my end logs are looking good, but I wanna wait until Brain and Ian get back to me to let me know what they think. But looks solid honestly, I am still getting the "false knock" that everyone seems to get and I also got with STG1 but honestly as long as DAM ain't changing I am happy lol
That's good to know. I just drove to phx and back this weekend and had knock events about every 20min only registering -1.41 while going about 80mph in 6th without the ac on. I did notice the amount of knock events did drop as soon as I passed the border check on the 8 coming back.
The Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:45 AM   #12
crankWRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX 6MT Stg 2
Crystal Pearl White

Hey Guys and Girls,

SO Elsa has gone under the knife yet again but for the better for SURE this time around!! So something I forgot to mention in my first post was that before I went STG 2 I also installed the KartBoy Short shifter, which was paired with the "Factory STI short shifter" (that one is only an 11% difference from factory) but the KartBoy reduces the throws by 30% and holy cow is that short. It was such a drastic change that after I installed it I almost took it off because it was SO different. But I left it in and honestly it increased shifting confidence and the short throws were something I grew into. One thing about it that was troubling to me was that the factory shift knob has almost ZERO weight to it so, the "chunky" feel of the KartBoy leaves room for improvement for sure. So I turned to Chad over at Flossy Shift Knobs and got a 426 Gram Knob that did the trick! The added weight makes for a more enjoyable shifting experience and plus it looks damn good!

Now after dealing with the heat waves here in SoCal and the AWESOME traffic Any tuned car will notice the heat soak from the motor. To battle this I have had my eye on the Process West Veritcooler and Chargepipe Kit. Well I was able to stumble across a deal I couldnt walk away from. So was able to install a "hardly used" PW Veritcooler and Chargepipe kit in Black to keep with my "stealthy" theme.

After all of this, Intake, Exhaust, Intercooler... lets face it the OTS maps are great but leave you wanting more. Enter Eric over at Torqued Performance who was able to tune Elsa and take full advantage of the larger TMIC. He was able to clean up the maps to a point that even running FULL CATLESS the only time there is a "burp or pop" is during a hard WOT upshift or an aggressive rev match downshifting. I am so please how this build has come together and so thank full to everyone who has helped me along the way!

Mod Listing:
Engine/Tuning:
MAPerformance Intake
PRL Intake Box
MAPerformance TBE (catless)
ProcessWest Verticooler + ChargePipes
Cobb AccessPort
Tuned by Eric @ Torqued Performance

Drivetrain:
Kartboy Shortshifter
Kartboy Shifter Bearing

Wheels/Tires/Brakes:
Enkei TS9 5x114.3 +50 offset
Hankook Ventus S1 nobles2 (245/40R18)

Exterior/Lighting:
Rally Armor Mud Flaps
OLM LED Light Conversion
C-Light DRL Conversion
Window Tint 5%

Sound/Interior:
Flossy Grip Rod REDHEAD! Shift Knob
Old 06-09-2016, 11:43 AM   #13
maperformance
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 141043
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
DGM

Numbers after the TMIC and charge pipe???
maperformance is online now   Reply With Quote