Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 16, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #1
subarod01
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 361338
Default sudden clunking/knocking noise under certain condition. plz help!

03 wrx with stock 5mt

running the andrewtech cocktail for about 4000 miles now and it seems to be much much smoother than running standard dino gear oil.

pulled up to the store today, had to make a sharp you turn, I guess youd call it, turned my wheels all the way Right and drove up about 10 ft. then cranked the wheels left and backed up 10 ft. then lastly cranked the wheels right and moved up 10 ft.

basicly a 180 degree turn in the middle of the road in a tight space.

so I pulled away from my parking spot drive up to speed into 3rd gear at about 35 mph, then put car in neutral, and coasted.

sudden knocking/clunking coming from drivetrain during coasting. pretty dam loud and consistant with the speed of the car.

seems like when im accelerating the noise pretty much goes away. the noise happens everytime I decelerate in gear, or put car in neutral and coast around 40 mph down to 0 mph

wasn't beating on the car or anything of that nature...just randomly started after that U turn deal.

any opinions?

thanks
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
subarod01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
subarod01
Scooby Newbie

bump...noise is only there on decal and rolling in neutral. when I accelerate it goes away. as soon as I decelerate, especially in 2nd and 3rd, I get a continuous knocking/clunking from driveline....def. not the moter! its something in the driveline..

any help?
Old 10-13-2013, 08:53 AM   #3
Aaron'z 2.5RS
Scooby Guru

Member#: 1026
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
'00 RS/WRX Stg5
'98 RS Stock

I'd say your clutch just gave up... or one of the clutch related parts... 03, stock... yeah.. it's that time...
Aaron'z 2.5RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
subarod01
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron'z 2.5RS View Post
I'd say your clutch just gave up... or one of the clutch related parts... 03, stock... yeah.. it's that time...
so your thinking something is broken in the clutch? because the clutch seems to work fine, grab fine, when I push in the clutch or do anything with the clutch it doesn't change the knocking noise....noise is speed related...and it also has a stage 2 clutch in it..i bought the car with the clutch, and ive driven a stock wrx clutch, mine feels very stiff to push down compared, but never gave me problems in the last 12,000 mils that ive owned the car.

please any others??...trying to narrow this down a little bit more.

only happens on decel or coasting from around 35 mph to 0 mph. all gears seem works work just fine, clutch seems to work fine

diff or tranny?
Old 10-15-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
donkey_cart
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 151448
Vehicle:
2005 Forester XT 5MT
Tall wagon

One of your CV joints may have died - most likely a front joint from making that turn.

You can pull the axles and feel for which one is bad. On the other hand, if they are original, just replace both of them and be done with it.
donkey_cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #6
STI2004RJ
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 368788

If your gonna check the axle you might as well check the clutch first. There might be a loose bolt that fell off. Prob fix if thats the case. Did you use a torque wrench when tightening the screws on the clutch etc?
STI2004RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:36 PM   #7
subarod01
Scooby Newbie

I didn't install the clutch. it was in when I bought the car, but havnt ever had any problems with it. I had a ripped boot on my right axle and had it replaced at my buddys shop about a month ago.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:38 PM   #8
bigbikeben
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 360181
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2004 Impreza 2.5 TS
Pacific Blue

Bumping into this old thread. I was curious if you ever discovered the culprit? I am experiencing the same exact problem, except with a less sudden onset. I've got nasty knocking coming from somewhere in the front left quarter any time I coast. It started after a 2-week period in which I had large accumulations of ice and snow in the wheel wells with no chance to melt out. Over the last 20 mi it turned from a light rubbing sound to a full-on knock/shake that makes it feel like a horrible idea to drive over 50mph.
The knocking is in sync with the rotation of the wheels, so my guess is a busted hub bearing. I try to do as much work myself as possible, but suspension and drivetrain are still out of my skill set. Hotrobguru posted THIS on replacing the bearing, making me feel like I should just take it to a shop.
I agree and doubt its a clutch issue and I'm trying to learn as much about it as possible before diving into my wallet.
bigbikeben is offline   Reply With Quote