Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday October 31, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
1vintageporschelover
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 269875
Default whats newest 2.5 that works is 01 forester?

when i look up replacement engines for an 01 forester the locater says '01 ONLY' which limits my search abit. what is the latest subi engine that i can use without swapping wiring harness and ECU? can I get a newer engine and swap sensors or intakes? Id like to get away from the head gasket issues if at all possible. just want a dependable daily driver,...any help from this knoledgable board appreciated!

PS also what other subies can I be looking for engines from besides the SF?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
1vintageporschelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
1vintageporschelover
Scooby Newbie

no one?
Old 01-12-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
Storm
Scooby Guru

Member#: 5218
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
96L Most Over-
Developed Beater

From a wiring standpoint, you would be best off to stick with 01 stuff. That being said, it's pretty much standard practice to put your current wiring harness back onto the replacement motor. If that means using the current intake manifold too, that's even better.

To answer your question, you can use any (non-turbo) EJ25 that doesn't have the active valve assembly (AVCS). That would open your choices up to 2006-ish.

Jay
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:16 AM   #4
X Mon
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 156443
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon WRB
2001 Forester S, EJ205/5m

www.subaruforester.org Few part outs, more Forester specific knowledge...
X Mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:26 AM   #5
1vintageporschelover
Scooby Newbie

is there any yrs through 06 that have been the least problemmatic with HG issues? found an 04 on west coast. okay, will i just have to swap my intake over to make it go properly? is there anything else I should know or anything to look out for? also how can i tell if this engine falls into this category "EJ25 that doesn't have the active valve assembly (AVCS)"
Old 01-20-2011, 07:03 AM   #6
Storm
Scooby Guru

Member#: 5218
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
96L Most Over-
Developed Beater

When you look at the valve covers, the AVCS type will be immediatly and obviously different. If it doesn't look the same as yours, it won't be. Headgaskets and EJ25's are a constant debate. Many will say ALL EJ25's have headgasket problems at some point in their life. It's not too far from the truth. If you never want to worry about headgaskets ever again, source a 2000-2001 EJ22 from an Impreza. You'll lose a little bit of power but gain reliability in spades.

When it comes time to do the swap, you'll want to look through the other threads covering the subject. You shouldn't have to do anything else besides transfer your engine harness. If there are any little sensors that don't have plugs on your loom, remove them. If you have plugs that were used before but not on the new motor, swap them over to it. General maintenance items should be taken care of at that time too.

For a truly pain-free swap, contact CCR (Colorado Component Rebuilders). They are an extremely good source for rebuilt motors that will give you years of trouble free service. You will pay for their expertise, but if that's not an issue, it really is the most logical choice besides sourcing a reman-d motor from a dealer.

Good luck,
Jay Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1vintageporschelover View Post
is there any yrs through 06 that have been the least problemmatic with HG issues? found an 04 on west coast. okay, will i just have to swap my intake over to make it go properly? is there anything else I should know or anything to look out for? also how can i tell if this engine falls into this category "EJ25 that doesn't have the active valve assembly (AVCS)"
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote