Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday May 26, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Member's Car Gallery

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:32 AM   #1
The Perfect Creature
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 300620
Vehicle:
2010 WRX
Blue

Default TheCreature's WRB Scubaroo

After many years on the website scouring the forums and posting -here and there I have finally obtained a WRX.
It is a 2010 WRX, base in WRB. I purchased it used with just a little over 60k.
Here are some photos.

It appeared to be in really good shape, until I washed it down with Dawn soap before putting on my wax of choice. I ended up finding a few paint blemishes, and such. The roof will need to be repainted, so I am just leaving them as is for now.
I plan to go over it with my PorterCable DA, and get all those scratches out and bring that paint to a nice sheen.
It had a K&N Intake on it, so I picked up a stock intake and reverted it back.
The first mod I did was the brake cylinder brace.

This was a huge pain to install, I thought it would be a breeze where I have small hands, but it turns out even my hands were too bulky to easily get the job done.
All in all though, it made a huge improvement. The brakes are no longer mushy, and I can feel the brake grabbing sooner, and with more effort.

The next mod I did was pick up a Cobb AP.

I had just loaded the Stage 1 map and was playing around with it. I've since got it dialed in the way I want as far as gauges go. Just a bit more datalogging and I should be all set with stage 1.

One cannot forget about maintenance!
Should be flushing that dealer junk out and putting some T6 goodness inside. One cannot forget about a genuine Subi filter!

Next on the agenda will be the transmission and differential flush. Just waiting on the Fuji-Bond and the gasket to do this one.

Bought 5 bottles, just in case.
The power steering fluid was just changed, and the brake fluid looks to be good, so I will leave those for awhile. The coolant is the blue kind, and I read that stuff is good for 100k, so I will watch it and see how it is doing.
Spark plugs are next on my list, but I will be waiting just a little bit for those. Need to see if I can score a lift to make it easier.

Well, anyway, this is mY Scubaroo. Stay tuned for updates as they come!
The Perfect Creature is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2015, 07:14 AM   #2
The Perfect Creature
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2010 WRX
Blue

I did my oil change, they had some really thin oil in the pan. Not sure what it was, but it was but the car seems to be running quieter with the T6 inside. Less valve lash and clacking going on inside. They had a carquest filter which I assume Paul Bunyan must have placed on himself due to the amount of effort required to remove.

I did the rear differential change and transmission change, and not sure how I did not notice this, but I was sent the wrong Motul Oil. They sent me 75w140. Ugh.
I luckly only only poured in a few 100 mL into the transmission before noticing.
I had already filled the rear, so I had to drain and refill.

For now I have Valvoline SynPower 75w90. Feels smooth, but kind of notchy in the 4th and 5th gear. Possibly due to the remnants of the heavier weight Motul.
Easy enough job once you learn the tricks.

I would recommend the Plews Liquimatic, well worth the price as it functioned flawlessly and was leak free. Even had a removable straw that allowed the remainder of the oil to be sucked up and pumped out.

I did use the Fuji Gasket, stuff smells, and is a dark grey...not sure what an equivalent would be, but it becomes tacky after a few minutes and seemed to work well enough.
Breaker bars and PB blaster is highly recommended. I used a low weight rubber mallet to tap the bolts loose with my ratchet for the top bolt as the sway bar was in the way, along with the exhaust y pipe.
Having an aftermarket exhaust or a single exhaust may make this job easier.

All in all, I will run the Valvoline for a while, and change it out when I sell off the other gear oil.

Next on the list is a complete detail, inside and out.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:50 PM   #3
The Perfect Creature
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2010 WRX
Blue

Finally received the correct Motul 300 oil. I drained the old oil out and you would think I got a new gearbox. What a difference. That Motul is no joke. Well worth the price.

I did a small detail today, which included a clay bar, some tire black and wheel protectant.
Products:
Turlewax TireBlack
Mequires QuickDetailer
Mothers Clay Bar (Yellow)
Chemical Guys 50/50 wax.
Armourall Rim Protectant.

I spent abnout 3 hours with the clay bar, I feel my next investment will be some mud flaps, the amount of rocks, and grime embedded into the paint near the wheels was unreal.
I found a few touch up spots on the bumper, 2 paint flaws on the roof that go through the clear coat, and numerous rock chips and dings on the bumper along with a few small chips here and there.
This is before any paint correction, with some pretty snarly swirls.
If you have not clay barred your car, you may want to after viewing the above and seeing these below.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:50 PM   #4
The Perfect Creature
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2010 WRX
Blue

I picked up some Rally Armour UR mudflaps from a member on here. After some knarly weather, rain, snow, sleet and more rain, it should be clear tomorrow and the day after so I should be able to install them.
I hope they complete the look, and prevent all the embedded dirt and rocks in the paint that the claybar removed when I did the detailing as you see above.

I should have some photos up tomorrow or Monday.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:20 PM   #5
The Perfect Creature
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2010 WRX
Blue

Mudflappers.

Not really sure how anyone can take an hour or two installing these. I used the OEM jack, removed the wheels and and even had to drill. I spent about 45 minutes or so, and I even had to dig out a bunch of dirt from the wells.
Even though I got them used,I think they look very nice, and hopefully should help keep the sides of the car clean. They look like they belong, why Subaru didnt ship with them is beyond me.
As a side note, Lowe's stocks nearly every part for these to install, if you get creative.
I was sent the flaps with some missing parts, and $5 later I had 8 clips, 2 rubber washers and a complete install kit.
If buying used, I would recommend re4placing all the clips, as one of mine was stripped, and I did not know it until after I assembled it.
Here is a photo.

Hopefully the next photos will be of an exhaust and downpipe.
Old Yesterday, 08:43 PM   #6
The Perfect Creature
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2010 WRX
Blue

Changed the plugs today. Man, what a pain in the balls. I did the drivers side first as everyone indicated they had issues with that one the most, and I was done the front and back in a half hour.
It was the passenger side that have me trouble. I had the worst time getting the rear out, it kept slipping off the plug.
I will say that having a ratchet with plenty of teeth makes this job so much easier.
I had a gear wrench with 84 teeth, and I don't think I could have done it without it.
Here are some pics of those plugs. 62k. If you are waiting for yours, I would suggest not.

I put in some 1 step colder plugs in anticipation of a downpipe and exhaust with a protune.

After all that work, I forgot to plug in the mad sensor. Could t figure out why it was running so bad. Doh!