Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday November 26, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
ydeardorff
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 269164
Default Noob help needed Mixing 03 wiring with an 05 motor

Hello All,

First of all I must say this is the best collection of data Ive found yet on Subaru's.

However in my last couple of week of searching, Ive come up with zilch as far as the info I need. Every similar question asked, that I have found, seemed to be asked and no one responds.

I have a VW based kit car called a Sterling.
I just bought and am waiting for my 05 WRX 2.0 turbo engine (from a wagon)to arrive via a freight carrier.
I have the ability to buy an entire wrecked 03 WRX impreza with no engine or trans (it had the same engine but was an 03 model), that I can rob all the electrical and fuel systems out of.
So I will be using the entire electrical system out the car and placing it in my car. So my car will be electrically (including the ECU) an 03 model, using every plug, relay, fuse, and connector from the donor car.
I will be using a shortened Subaru AWD manual transaxle (with flipped internals) and be mated up to the 05 engine.
I know it would be preferred to use 05/05, or 04/05 parts, but this is what has landed on my door step for a good price. I cant knock the opportunity here.

Can anyone help me lay out my to do list to get this engine to run normally in my car? Im only worried about getting the electrical to work properly. I will be using a motorcycle gauges cluster that is a stand alone unit (not requiring any computer to run it), and an 05 mini cooper steering column. So this iwill be somewhat of a frankenstein application. I only need the info for mating the suby parts. So basic question is, will an 05 wrx motor work in a 03 wrx using the 03 wiring and ECU?
I know there is about 1000 years of subaru knowledge in the site, Im hoping to tap into just a portion of it.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

yaughn
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by ydeardorff; 02-01-2011 at 08:07 PM.
ydeardorff is offline   Reply With Quote