Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday September 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Reviews > Car Part Reviews

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:21 PM   #1
ktong721
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)

Member#: 364682
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2013 WRX 5-dr
Crystal Black Silica

Default Greddy Ti-C for 08+ STI and 11-14 WRX Hatchback Models

Note: This is a decent read. If you don’t want to read the full review then please feel free to scroll down to the “Final Thoughts” section for a very brief summary.

Background:

I drive a 2013 5-Door Crystal Black Silica (CBS) WRX.. Aside from a few aesthetic modifications, everything else is completely stock (i.e performance/engine mods).

My car came with the SPT Catback exhaust already installed on the car. At first it sounded loud and amazing, but over time I thought it was a little too quiet for my taste. From day one of purchasing the car I wanted to change the exhaust to a single-exit, however, I couldn’t justify spending the extra money on a new exhaust system with Subaru’s performance catback already installed. I would have switched the exhaust out in a heartbeat if it had originally come with the stock exhaust!

Now, after owning the car for a little over a year a half, I had a little extra change in my pocket and decided to search for a new exhaust. Believe me, the SPT is in no way a quiet exhaust; it is significantly louder than stock and unleashes the boxer rumble, however, it had gotten a little too quiet for my tastes (from what I’ve heard and read, the SPT is the “quietest” quad-tip catback you can get for the GR models).

Research:

I wanted a single tip that was within my budget and sounded great. My choices came down to the Invidia N1, Greddy Ti-C, and the Tomei Expreme Ti Titanium.

The Tomei was immediately cut from my list as I discovered that it was about $1000USD for a brand new single tip. The sound that the Tomei produces is insanely aggressive, but it was out of my budget.

The Invidia N1 was cheaper at about $500 for a new exhaust however I wasn’t a fan of the sound that it produced. From all the videos I’ve searched on YouTube, the Invidia produced a sound that was a bit too raspy for me.

The Greddy Ti-C seemed like the best option as its price point was in between the Invidia and the Tomei and it produced a very deep rumble. This was the sound that I was just looking for! However, I discovered that Greddy had discontinued this exhaust so looking for a used one was my only option. Luckily I found a used one in my area so I snatched that as soon as I could.

Installation:

Installation was a piece of cake. If you bought the exhaust used, please note that you will have to buy a 3” 2-hole exhaust gasket from your favorite local auto shop; this will be installed between the muffler pipe and the midpipe (rear connection). The stock donut gasket may be reused between the midpipe and the catalytic converter pipe (front connection).

I reused all the stock rubber exhaust hangers and the top of the exhaust tip sits about 0.75" away from the bottom of my bumper. I don’t think I have to worry about my exhaust burning my bumper.

NOTE: The stock spring bolts that connect the stock midpipe to the catalytic converter pipe will not fit the 3” Greddy midpipe (that is, if you happen to not have the supplied hardware from the seller). The holes in the Greddy midpipe are too small for the stock bolts. I ended up running over to my local Ace Hardware and purchased a new set of stainless steel bolts and lock washers for a couple of dollars.

Initial Thoughts After Installation:

Man, does this exhaust sound freaking good! It is noticeably louder than the SPT, both outside and inside of the cabin, but not loud enough to be annoying (although we may all have a different tolerance of what is “annoying”).

It is a completely different sound in the cabin. I love shifting through first, second, and third gear. The cabin fills up with exhaust’s sound in the lower gears but there’s no drone at all! To be honest, I couldn’t help but smile during my entire drive to work the next morning.

Highway noise is louder with this exhaust than the SPT, however, it only starts to scream when you put your foot to the floor. Holding the car at 65mph on the highway is relatively quiet for an aftermarket Subaru exhaust…

One thing I did notice after the install was a rattling noise coming from underneath the car. The rattling only occurred during a cold start or at very low RPMs (< 1500 RPM) as that is when the pipes vibrate the most. I figured it had something to do with installing a larger diameter midpipe and was I correct! I jacked the car back up and saw one spot where the midpipe was maybe 2mm away from the heatshield. I grabbed a crowbar and bent that single spot away from the pipe. But BEWARE, the drive shaft sits right above the heatshield so do not bend the heatshield too far. If you are unsure or are not confident about bending the shield, please bring your car into a muffler shop and they will bend it for you. It’s an incredibly easy job for them. And BOOM, the rattling was gone after the heatshield was bent!

Pros and Cons:

Pros of the Greddy Ti-C:
• The Greddy is lighter than the SPT in weight (about half the weight of the SPT)
• The Greddy has a 3” midpipe vs. the SPT’s 2.5” midpipe
• The Greddy produces a louder and deeper rumble/growl than the SPT. Very similar to the deep low rumble that was found in the older WRX/STI bodies (Bugeye, Peanut, and the Hawkeye models).
• No drone! The SPT also did not drone.
• The Greddy turns heads as I’m driving down the street.

Cons of the Greddy Ti-C:
• The Greddy Ti-C is hatchback specific (08+ STI; 11-14 WRX). Sorry, 4-door sedans.
• Single Tip (if more tips is better to you?)
• Discontinued. This means you’ll most likely have to buy this exhaust secondhand, but from my experience, there’s nothing wrong with buying secondhand as long as you do your research and know what to look for.
• Cabin noise is noticeably louder from the Greddy than the SPT. It’s a good loud though. Maybe this belongs in the pros…

Final Thoughts:

I really don’t have any negative things to say about this exhaust. It’s louder, deeper, and lighter than the SPT. All things that I was looking for in a new exhaust. My buddy has the Nameless Axleback (5” muffler with 3” quad tip) on his 2013 WRX Sedan and the Greddy has a very similar tone, only a tiny bit deeper and louder

I’ve had the exhaust on my car for about a week now and I want to say that the “jerking” feeling that you get in 1st and 2nd gear has been drastically reduced (all GR WRX owners know what I’m talking about). It may have something to do with the larger diameter midpipe. Side Note: I have also heard that going Stage 1 and remapping the car to the Cobb AccessPort Stage 1 tune can also drastically reduce the jerking feeling in 1st and 2nd gear.

The only tiny/miniscule complaint I can say about this exhaust is the rattling that occurred after the initial installation, but that was quickly resolved.

If you’re looking for a single-tip that sounds great and aren’t afraid of buying used then I highly recommend this exhaust!

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
ktong721 is offline   Reply With Quote