Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday August 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Reviews > Car Part Reviews

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:45 PM   #1
dwhjr
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)

Member#: 345890
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2013 WRX

Default Nameless Performance Downpipe

tl;dr - The Nameless Performance downpipe does NOT fit properly on the car.

I ordered a full turboback kit from Nameless a few months ago. The focus of this post will be around their downpipe. As for the rest of the exhaust, I am extremely pleased with both the quality of the craftsmanship, fit, and sound.

The first indication I had that things didnít seem right is when first installing the DP. When seated firmly against the turbo (not-bolted down), the end of DP went up on an angle going into the car and the transmission hanger did not line up at all. If I let the end drop down to being parallel with the car, top of the DP, where it meets the turbo, would pull away a good 2Ē. I went ahead and mounted the DP to the turbo first and then tried to work around the rest of the install. It was nearly impossible to compress the stock springs on the connection between DP and the mid-pipe and I could not line up the transmission hanger to DP mount. I left off the springs and the hanger bolt.

I asked the techs at Mach V Motorsports to put the car on the lift, re-install the exhaust springs and bolt. Also, I asked them to take a look at the install itself. I had heard a significant rattle coming from underneath on the drive over, especially when I decelerated.

The folks at Mach V said that this DP would not work on my car. Dan from Mach V was kind enough to take some photos of the problem areas. The rattling I had heard was more than likely the DP hitting against the transmission cross mount. See photos below.

Transmission hanger not aligning. Courtesy Dan @ Mach V.

End of the mid-pipe resting against the heatshield. Courtesy Dan @ Mach V.

Where the downpipe and mid-pipe connect. You can see how close it rests against the heatshield. Courtesy Dan @ Mach V.

The downpipe is against the transmission cross member. Courtesy Dan @ Mach V.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
dwhjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:46 PM   #2
dwhjr
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 WRX

Nameless agreed to send me a replacement DP so as long as I did not drive on it. They maintained that the new pipe they were sending me had lined up according to specs. I agreed and placed the factory DP back on the car, noting that everything lined up normally. When the new pipe arrived, I broke out both for a side-by-side comparison. I went as far as to make a poor-man’s jig to compare the two pipes. See photos below.

Last edited by dwhjr; 08-27-2014 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:47 PM   #3
dwhjr
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 WRX

It appeared there was no difference between the two pipes and when I went back to Mach V, that was exactly the case. I asked them to take off the factory DP and test-fit the latest Nameless DP on the car. They brought me in to show me that the new pipe has the same issues with fitment and clearance. The photos below are mine.

The pipe is still resting right against the transmission cross member.

Another shot.

Another shot with flash.

The transmission hanger does not line up.

Another shot down the axis of the pipe.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:47 PM   #4
dwhjr
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 WRX

At this point, I asked them to remove the DP and install an Invidia in itís place.

Dan helped me take some other side-by-side comparisons.

I boxed up both DPís and sent them back to Nameless.

Has anyone else running a Nameless downpipe experienced this?
Old 08-28-2014, 12:49 AM   #5
sc00ter
Scooby Guru
Member Sales Rating: (10)

Member#: 117767
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2011 STI Sedan
DGM

Wow!

Thanks for all the detail and pictures. After ordering the nameless axleback I told myself I'd piece together their full turboback system over time. However, after seeing this, I'm not sure I want to bother with their DP at all. Especially considering that it takes 5+ weeks to receive parts from them after placing your initial order.

They better get this crap figured out if they want to remain in business...
sc00ter is offline   Reply With Quote