Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday August 29, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Reviews > Car Part Reviews

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2011, 04:49 PM   #751
mrkyle3
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (1)
 
Member#: 272675
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Hershey, PA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
2004 Miata

Default

So I have the axleback for my hatch and am curious to what a muffler-less version would sound like, any idea how I can try to get an idea without actually hearing somebody else who has one without a muffler?

I was thinking that putting a few washers between the midpipe and flange of the exhaust, would that make a similar sound? Not to keep on my car permanently, just for 5 minute listening purposes
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
mrkyle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:23 PM   #752
xluben
Scooby Guru
Member Sales Rating: (16)
 
Member#: 261612
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
9.9s @ 140mph

Default

^I tried that with my SPT (no resonator in the midpipe). Sounded absolutely horrible. Changed it back 5 minutes later.
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:35 PM   #753
mrkyle3
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (1)
 
Member#: 272675
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Hershey, PA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
2004 Miata

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xluben View Post
^I tried that with my SPT (no resonator in the midpipe). Sounded absolutely horrible. Changed it back 5 minutes later.
Oh I'm sure it does sound terrible and unrefined, but I'm talking in terms of pure loudness. I want to know if putting the washers there will make the exhaust as loud as if it were muffler-less. I figure if I'm ok with the volume then I could get the muffler removed to make it loud and refined.
mrkyle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:15 PM   #754
Yuckfou
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (8)
 
Member#: 225513
Join Date: Oct 2009
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland
Vehicle:
2015 STI

Default

Ah there's no muffler in muffler-less. So, yes, it's frickin LOUD. The washer trick will sound like a huge exhaust leak.

Nameless has tried 2 different types of muffler-less exhausts on my car for testing purposes. They were both LOUD.
Yuckfou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:19 PM   #755
mrkyle3
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (1)
 
Member#: 272675
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Hershey, PA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
2004 Miata

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuckfou View Post
Ah there's no muffler in muffler-less. So, yes, it's frickin LOUD. The washer trick will sound like a huge exhaust leak.

Nameless has tried 2 different types of muffler-less exhausts on my car for testing purposes. They were both LOUD.
Do you have a hatch?

I tried the washer trick with three washers on each bolt and drove around for 10 minutes. I really like the loudness but it of course doesn't sound great. Would deleting the muffler make it louder than using the washer trick?
mrkyle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:30 PM   #756
Yuckfou
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (8)
 
Member#: 225513
Join Date: Oct 2009
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland
Vehicle:
2015 STI

Default

I have a hatch. One of the exhaust we tried was a sedan midpipe with a modified sedan axle back and a single pipe hooked to my hatch midpipe.

What are you trying to do?
Yuckfou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:32 PM   #757
mrkyle3
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (1)
 
Member#: 272675
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Hershey, PA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
2004 Miata

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuckfou View Post
I have a hatch. One of the exhaust we tried was a sedan midpipe with a modified sedan axle back and a single pipe hooked to my hatch midpipe.

What are you trying to do?
Just trying to make my exhaust louder, I think the axleback with the magnaflow muffler is too quiet for my tastes. I personally feel like if I wanted a quiet exhaust I would have stuck with the stock one.

It'd be very easy for me to go to a shop nearby and give them $50 to take off the muffler and weld in a piece of pipe. I'm just trying to get an idea how exactly how loud it will be (and if it drones) if I do that.
mrkyle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:41 PM   #758
Yuckfou
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (8)
 
Member#: 225513
Join Date: Oct 2009
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland
Vehicle:
2015 STI

Default

Ah so. I understand completely.

I told Jason that I wanted to try his axleback again. But this time I want try it with a non-resonated midpipe. I was supposed to be at their shop right now but they bailed on me at the last minute.

I thought their axleback coupled with my resonated midpipe was too quiet. I have a CNT downpipe.

If you have the stock down and mid pipes their axleback will be very quiet.

Since they don't seem to get into this thread very often I'd go and pester them on their FB page. Tell them you are interested in Yuckfou's non-resonated midpipe idea. Maybe they'll bump this up on their list of priorities.
Yuckfou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:46 PM   #759
mrkyle3
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (1)
 
Member#: 272675
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Hershey, PA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
2004 Miata

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuckfou View Post
Ah so. I understand completely.

I told Jason that I wanted to try his axleback again. But this time I want try it with a non-resonated midpipe. I was supposed to be at their shop right now but they bailed on me at the last minute.

I thought their axleback coupled with my resonated midpipe was too quiet. I have a CNT downpipe.

If you have the stock down and mid pipes their axleback will be very quiet.

Since they don't seem to get into this thread very often I'd go and pester them on their FB page. Tell them you are interested in Yuckfou's non-resonated midpipe idea. Maybe they'll bump this up on their list of priorities.
Exactly, I have the stock downpipe and midpipe so it's very quiet. Although I'd probably be more interested in pursuing a muffler delete first as that would be 10% the cost of a new midpipe.
mrkyle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:53 PM   #760
Yuckfou
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (8)
 
Member#: 225513
Join Date: Oct 2009
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland
Vehicle:
2015 STI

Default

If you are staying stock or stage 1 then a muffler delete should work. It would sound like a sedan with the same mods.

The sedan midpipe fits a hatch. They have modified the sedan axle back to fit the hatch. So, eventually they may have something that will give you what you want.

On the other hand any decent muffler shop can build a simple pipe that connects to the midpipe and exits the drivers side bumper cover hole. Not the best look but for a few bucks you could hear for yourself what your car would sound like. If you go this route use a 3.5 or a 4" tip. The diameter of the tip at the end of the pipe effects the volume and more importantly the low freq.
Yuckfou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:01 PM   #761
mrkyle3
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (1)
 
Member#: 272675
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Hershey, PA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
2004 Miata

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuckfou View Post
If you are staying stock or stage 1 then a muffler delete should work. It would sound like a sedan with the same mods.

The sedan midpipe fits a hatch. They have modified the sedan axle back to fit the hatch. So, eventually they may have something that will give you what you want.

On the other hand any decent muffler shop can build a simple pipe that connects to the midpipe and exits the drivers side bumper cover hole. Not the best look but for a few bucks you could hear for yourself what your car would sound like. If you go this route use a 3.5 or a 4" tip. The diameter of the tip at the end of the pipe effects the volume and more importantly the low freq.
Yeah I am staying pretty much stock until my warranty is out. The only real modification I have is a kartboy ss with bushings.

I do like the way the sedan exhaust sounds so I might call up an exhaust shop this week and see what they can do for me.
mrkyle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:02 PM   #762
Louie
Scooby Guru
Member Sales Rating: (47)
 
Member#: 43393
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Middle River
Vehicle:
2014 Audi a6
Daytona Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkyle3 View Post
Yeah I am staying pretty much stock until my warranty is out. The only real modification I have is a kartboy ss with bushings.

I do like the way the sedan exhaust sounds so I might call up an exhaust shop this week and see what they can do for me.
Hey, why don't you run up to IAG on thursday morning or noon time. you can here mine.

I love my nameless exhaust now. Dechiper was foolish for selling it.
Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:22 PM   #763
thebigevilfoot
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (4)
 
Member#: 253836
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Central NJ
Vehicle:
2008 AW e90 M3
2011 WRX 350/365- sold :(

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourFearlessLeader View Post
I am a terrible photographer, but here is a pic of the 3.5s...



Those tips look great! I'm a little too cheap to pay 300$ for a muffler delete for now, but in the mean time, I just put some washers in between my my mufflers and y to create a similar effect :P
thebigevilfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:22 AM   #764
mrkyle3
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (1)
 
Member#: 272675
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Hershey, PA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
2004 Miata

Default

I found a shop with great reviews that will cut out the muffler and weld in a pipe for $50-60 so I think I will make an appointment for tomorrow if possible and have them do that.

I will take pics and make a video of the results!
mrkyle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:47 AM   #765
Snowphun
NASIOC Supporter
Member Sales Rating: (42)
 
Member#: 1800
Join Date: Jul 2000
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Way South Shore MA
Vehicle:
WRX /WRX/Cooper S
awd/awd/fwd

Default

Have you considered getting NP's midpipe to go with your axle back? That may give you the volume you're looking for.
Snowphun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:15 AM   #766
mrkyle3
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (1)
 
Member#: 272675
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Hershey, PA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
2004 Miata

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowphun View Post
Have you considered getting NP's midpipe to go with your axle back? That may give you the volume you're looking for.
I have, but the midpipe will be hundreds of dollars and a muffler delete is $50-60.
mrkyle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:35 AM   #767
Louie
Scooby Guru
Member Sales Rating: (47)
 
Member#: 43393
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Middle River
Vehicle:
2014 Audi a6
Daytona Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkyle3

I have, but the midpipe will be hundreds of dollars and a muffler delete is $50-60.
Not to single you out and flame you...however, if you are complaining about the cost of an exhaust and its 1/3 the cost of a full exhaust, you have a long hard road ahead of you sir.
Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:54 AM   #768
mrkyle3
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (1)
 
Member#: 272675
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Hershey, PA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
2004 Miata

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie

Not to single you out and flame you...however, if you are complaining about the cost of an exhaust and its 1/3 the cost of a full exhaust, you have a long hard road ahead of you sir.
I am not complaining about the cost. I would rather just spend $50 than hundreds if both will get me what I want. How is that complaining?

By the way thanks for offering to let me hear your exhaust! I'm busy tomorrow though so I won't be able to make it, I think I'm just going to go for it and go ahead and get the muffler removed.

Last edited by mrkyle3; 06-01-2011 at 11:08 AM.
mrkyle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #769
Louie
Scooby Guru
Member Sales Rating: (47)
 
Member#: 43393
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Middle River
Vehicle:
2014 Audi a6
Daytona Gray

Default

It sounded like you were complaining about the cost of a mid pipe. I read it wrong, sorry. I like the idea of having the muffler removed over using washers. The washers will just sound like an exhaust leak.
Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:29 PM   #770
Yuckfou
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (8)
 
Member#: 225513
Join Date: Oct 2009
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland
Vehicle:
2015 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkyle3
I found a shop with great reviews that will cut out the muffler and weld in a pipe for $50-60 so I think I will make an appointment for tomorrow if possible and have them do that.

I will take pics and make a video of the results!
I wouldn't demolish the axle back. That will piss the money you paid already down the drain. Have the shop build a pipe that connects to the midpipe. At least do this first before you hack up the axle back.

Another thing to consider is adding a Y pipe to make dual exits is tricky. The Y has the be built correctly or you could end up with raspy nasty sound. I know this first hand.
Yuckfou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:31 PM   #771
Yuckfou
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (8)
 
Member#: 225513
Join Date: Oct 2009
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland
Vehicle:
2015 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowphun
Have you considered getting NP's midpipe to go with your axle back? That may give you the volume you're looking for.
He doesn't want to spend the money. And Nameless has not released their hatch or sedan midpipe yet.
Yuckfou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:25 PM   #772
mrkyle3
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (1)
 
Member#: 272675
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Hershey, PA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
2004 Miata

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuckfou View Post
I wouldn't demolish the axle back. That will piss the money you paid already down the drain. Have the shop build a pipe that connects to the midpipe. At least do this first before you hack up the axle back.

Another thing to consider is adding a Y pipe to make dual exits is tricky. The Y has the be built correctly or you could end up with raspy nasty sound. I know this first hand.
Why bother with the single exit though? I would like to keep my quad exhaust.

And damn, I forgot about the need to fabricate a Y pipe. Would it be easier to just ask him to gut the muffler?

Alternatively, I could just have him take the resonator off of my midpipe. How big of a difference would that make?

Last edited by mrkyle3; 06-01-2011 at 01:47 PM.
mrkyle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #773
honestabe
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (5)
 
Member#: 261730
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX hatch
WRB

Default

Hmm I was set on a nameless axleback before possibly buying a* nameless midpipe. I am turned off by how it seems to be a quiet exhaust (the axleback).

I have been running my car with spacers before the muffler as well and it does not drive me crazy at all; it is only slightly too loud for me and the tone is kind of rough.

Any suggestions? My backup plan is to get an SPT at a discount (700).
honestabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:06 PM   #774
Yuckfou
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (8)
 
Member#: 225513
Join Date: Oct 2009
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland
Vehicle:
2015 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkyle3

Why bother with the single exit though? I would like to keep my quad exhaust.

And damn, I forgot about the need to fabricate a Y pipe. Would it be easier to just ask him to gut the muffler?

Alternatively, I could just have him take the resonator off of my midpipe. How big of a difference would that make?
Removing the resonator will make a little difference but prob not enough to satisfy you.

I would not hack up the NP axle back. Sell it on CL or the classifieds. You change anything on it the value plummets.

Not trying the send your money but in my opinion selling the NP and buying a different catback may be the best way to go.

I think a single cat DP, non-resonated midpipe and their axleback would sound great. I know that's not what you are looking for but I bet that would sound great and be loud enough for you. Waiting for them to release this may be worth waiting for.
Yuckfou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:38 PM   #775
Louie
Scooby Guru
Member Sales Rating: (47)
 
Member#: 43393
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Middle River
Vehicle:
2014 Audi a6
Daytona Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by honestabe
Hmm I was set on a nameless axleback before possibly buying a* nameless midpipe. I am turned off by how it seems to be a quiet exhaust (the axleback).

I have been running my car with spacers before the muffler as well and it does not drive me crazy at all; it is only slightly too loud for me and the tone is kind of rough.

Any suggestions? My backup plan is to get an SPT at a discount (700).
The NP axle back isn't quiet... Maybe comparing it to some other aftermarket brands buy not over stock.
Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2015 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2015, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.