Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday October 1, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2011, 01:05 PM   #301
geddesk2
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 119397
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Snoqualmie
Vehicle:
2012 STI
WRB (The only color)

Default

One month away!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
geddesk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:03 PM   #302
HB_Dad
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 45190
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Huntington Beach/Ramona, CA
Vehicle:
2014 Impreza Sport L
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geddesk2 View Post
One month away!
One month too long! I need to see some great new announcements to make up for other recent news that bummed me out a bit.

I hope that Subaru starts adding some of the cool LED lights/daytime running lights as seen on many of the other luxury brands these days! Hell, if they take the aggressive headlights of the concept car and then add frowning LED eyebrows over the lights to make the front end look downright angry and they will have a real winner on their hands! Nonetheless, looking forward to this vehicle as I am considering it for my long commutes to work (especially if it really does get 35MPGs or more)
HB_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:22 PM   #303
brettjr25
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 259611
Join Date: Oct 2010
Default

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...l_economy.html

...I just hope these people got it wrong. 148hp with only 30mpg and 27hmpg??? Pass!
brettjr25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:48 PM   #304
slimfit
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 90597
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: DELCO, PA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Premium
SWP

Default

^Uh oh
slimfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:11 PM   #305
Kostamojen
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 2272
Join Date: Sep 2000
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: haha XD
Vehicle:
2013 Subaru 599 :P
Galaxy Blue Sexy

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettjr25 View Post
http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...l_economy.html

...I just hope these people got it wrong. 148hp with only 30mpg and 27hmpg??? Pass!
30-35hmpg, probably closer to 35, with 25 in the city... Sounds about right.'

25/35 with AWD would be VERY good.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:12 PM   #306
Yellow_Feva
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 269659
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Orlando FL/Katy TX
Vehicle:
04 Forester STI
Silver

Default

^ Horible news.
Yellow_Feva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:18 PM   #307
USCTrojan4JC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 51876
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Vehicle:
2004 Impreza WRX Sdn
WR Blue Pearl

Default

Hopefully, the FB25 will be available as an optional engine. If not, FAIL.

What are examples of vehicles that have had weaker base engines from one generation to the next?
USCTrojan4JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:22 AM   #308
AWDPilot
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 25058
Join Date: Sep 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Shrewsbury, MA
Vehicle:
'15 DGM WRX Premium
9 and counting

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojan4JC View Post
Hopefully, the FB25 will be available as an optional engine. If not, FAIL.

What are examples of vehicles that have had weaker base engines from one generation to the next?
Lots come MY2014
AWDPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:47 AM   #309
kage
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 25101
Join Date: Sep 2002
Chapter/Region: HIIC
Location: www.luanainn.com
Vehicle:
2002 PSM WRX Wagon
1999 Twilight Blue Miata

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB_Dad View Post
One month too long! I need to see some great new announcements to make up for other recent news that bummed me out a bit.

I hope that Subaru starts adding some of the cool LED lights/daytime running lights as seen on many of the other luxury brands these days! Hell, if they take the aggressive headlights of the concept car and then add frowning LED eyebrows over the lights to make the front end look downright angry and they will have a real winner on their hands! Nonetheless, looking forward to this vehicle as I am considering it for my long commutes to work (especially if it really does get 35MPGs or more)
Are you implying that Subaru is a luxury brand?
kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:51 AM   #310
kage
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 25101
Join Date: Sep 2002
Chapter/Region: HIIC
Location: www.luanainn.com
Vehicle:
2002 PSM WRX Wagon
1999 Twilight Blue Miata

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojan4JC View Post
Hopefully, the FB25 will be available as an optional engine. If not, FAIL.

What are examples of vehicles that have had weaker base engines from one generation to the next?
Um, all of them after the '70s fuel crises and the move to unleaded gas.

Let's look at the Corvette as an example:
1969: 300hp with the base engine, 430hp (reported to actually be about 560) with the big block
1972: 200hp with the base engine, 270hp with the big block (net rather than gross hp on both)
1975: 165hp with the base engine, 205hp with the big block (unleaded gas conversion)

Last edited by kage; 03-29-2011 at 04:58 AM.
kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:17 AM   #311
NJSwamplands
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 97227
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NJBumplands™
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kage View Post
Um, all of them after the '70s fuel crises and the move to unleaded gas.

Let's look at the Corvette as an example:
1969: 300hp with the base engine, 430hp (reported to actually be about 560) with the big block
1972: 200hp with the base engine, 270hp with the big block (net rather than gross hp on both)
1975: 165hp with the base engine, 205hp with the big block (unleaded gas conversion)
do not forget the addition of all the smog gear
NJSwamplands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:21 AM   #312
grzydj
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 84984
Join Date: Apr 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza 2.5i 5D
'04 Toyota Tacoma TRD

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettjr25 View Post
http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...l_economy.html

...I just hope these people got it wrong. 148hp with only 30mpg and 27hmpg??? Pass!
Pass as in it'll pass new CAFE standards? You're right there, or at least they're getting close to it.
grzydj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:03 AM   #313
brettjr25
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 259611
Join Date: Oct 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grzydj View Post
Pass as in it'll pass new CAFE standards? You're right there, or at least they're getting close to it.
No pass as in, if they can't build a better engine/car that puts out decent hp with decent Mpg then I'm passing over it to get something else.
brettjr25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:04 AM   #314
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Just outside of Houston TX
Vehicle:
2013 F150 King Ranch
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default

Well for a commuter car, I think the Impreza in its bigger, heavier, CVT equipped and less powerful version is perfect for the commuter appliance market. The WRX and STI I predict will take power hits as well. No getting around it.

Thus is the price of going green. Fun models evaporate. It is going to be a long 5-10 years.
SCRAPPYDO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:07 AM   #315
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Just outside of Houston TX
Vehicle:
2013 F150 King Ranch
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kage View Post
Um, all of them after the '70s fuel crises and the move to unleaded gas.

Let's look at the Corvette as an example:
1969: 300hp with the base engine, 430hp (reported to actually be about 560) with the big block
1972: 200hp with the base engine, 270hp with the big block (net rather than gross hp on both)
1975: 165hp with the base engine, 205hp with the big block (unleaded gas conversion)
IN 1975, the corvette 165 was with a small block 350. Not a big block. I do not think a big block was offered in 1975. I will have to check though.
SCRAPPYDO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:07 AM   #316
Stretch18
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 239822
Join Date: Mar 2010
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: t(-_-t)
Vehicle:
2010 WRX
It burns when I PP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post
Well for a commuter car, I think the Impreza in its bigger, heavier, CVT equipped and less powerful version is perfect for the commuter appliance market. The WRX and STI I predict will take power hits as well. No getting around it.

Thus is the price of going green. Fun models evaporate. It is going to be a long 5-10 years.
The 1980s - Part Deux
Stretch18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:22 AM   #317
brettjr25
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 259611
Join Date: Oct 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post
Well for a commuter car, I think the Impreza in its bigger, heavier, CVT equipped and less powerful version is perfect for the commuter appliance market. The WRX and STI I predict will take power hits as well. No getting around it.

Thus is the price of going green. Fun models evaporate. It is going to be a long 5-10 years.

I don't know about that. I still can't believe Ford's 30mpg 300+ hp V6 mustang. I know it's not awd but daaammn.
brettjr25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:30 AM   #318
subyski
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 202642
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Centennial, Colorado
Vehicle:
'08 2.5i,'65 Stang
'80 Vette L82,'73 914 2.0

Default

I'm sure there will be some power hits or stagnate power outputs.

The difference between now and the 70-80's is there is a whole lot more tech nowadays. There is only so much you can do with a stand alone carborator for fuel and emissions control.
subyski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:36 PM   #319
zwrxp09
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 276489
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NNJ (Hudson County)
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Limited 5dr
Lightning Red

Default

honestly that's not bad. only cars with more power or torque are the elantra (156/144) and the forte (138/148). but remember, they don't have AWD standard so getting 35mpg's with AWD will be a big asset for the Impreza.

now, let's see how they'll power the WRX/STI. it'll be a big disappointment IMO if they bring the power down. i kinda like the 2012 concept and can't wait to see the WRX/STI version of it.

IMO, they should just offer a hybrid version of the Impreza and/or the Legacy so that the whole Subaru lineup would be up to par with the CAFE standards. since they have partnerships with the Toyobaru coupes, it won't be hard to extend that to Toyota's hybrid systems.
zwrxp09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:44 PM   #320
Kostamojen
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 2272
Join Date: Sep 2000
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: haha XD
Vehicle:
2013 Subaru 599 :P
Galaxy Blue Sexy

Default

The old 2.2 motors were rated at 145hp and always had plenty of power. I'm not concerned at all about a 2.0 with 148hp especially with the CVT which keeps the engine going at peak power when on the throttle.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:59 PM   #321
Snowphun
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 1800
Join Date: Jul 2000
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Way South Shore MA
Vehicle:
WRX /Cooper S/Miata
awd/fwd/rwd

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen View Post
The old 2.2 motors were rated at 145hp and always had plenty of power. I'm not concerned at all about a 2.0 with 148hp especially with the CVT which keeps the engine going at peak power when on the throttle.
Plenty of power? Maybe adequate for what they were, back in the mid 90's. 15 years later in a much heavier car it is not going to impress. But if it gets 35 mpg on the highway then mission accomplished.
Snowphun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:41 PM   #322
Kostamojen
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 2272
Join Date: Sep 2000
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: haha XD
Vehicle:
2013 Subaru 599 :P
Galaxy Blue Sexy

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowphun View Post
Plenty of power? Maybe adequate for what they were, back in the mid 90's. 15 years later in a much heavier car it is not going to impress. But if it gets 35 mpg on the highway then mission accomplished.
Granted there is a 200lbs weight difference from an 01 OBS and a 08+ 2.5i hatch, but I've yet to drive a compact car with 150hp that felt "under-powered".

If it were 110-120hp, then yes, underpowered. The bump from 150-165/170hp isn't enough to notice and the MPG difference will be worth it.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:43 PM   #323
HB_Dad
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 45190
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Huntington Beach/Ramona, CA
Vehicle:
2014 Impreza Sport L
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kage View Post
Are you implying that Subaru is a luxury brand?
LOL, nope... typo!
HB_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:47 PM   #324
HB_Dad
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 45190
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Huntington Beach/Ramona, CA
Vehicle:
2014 Impreza Sport L
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojan4JC View Post
Hopefully, the FB25 will be available as an optional engine. If not, FAIL.

What are examples of vehicles that have had weaker base engines from one generation to the next?
I think this might also be a sign of Subaru really trying to separate the Impreza from the WRX and STi. In this scenario, Impreza would be the commuter car while the all-new WRX will be more of a performance car and might look radically different as well I suspect...
HB_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:14 PM   #325
geddesk2
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 119397
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Snoqualmie
Vehicle:
2012 STI
WRB (The only color)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB_Dad View Post
I think this might also be a sign of Subaru really trying to separate the Impreza from the WRX and STi. In this scenario, Impreza would be the commuter car while the all-new WRX will be more of a performance car and might look radically different as well I suspect...
I think so as well.

While I understand the hate over the power decrease...the big bump in MPGs and a CVT tranny (finally) are good steps forward.


The WRX/STI are probably going to be worlds apart from the base Impreza now...or further apart than they were anyways
geddesk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 Impreza STI concept art khaki_man Member's Car Gallery 37 03-15-2011 02:02 AM
Newsflash: 2012 Impreza looks like BigElm's Butt WagonMonster Off-Topic 4 02-28-2011 07:11 PM
2012 Impreza Concept Zakster87 General Community 14 11-17-2010 04:09 PM
Possibly looking into a 2011 or 2012 Impreza? xenonk Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC 1 08-05-2010 09:48 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.