Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday April 16, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #5376
dirtymedium
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 302978
Join Date: Dec 2011
Default

IN ADDITION TO THE ABOVE

Ive been considering a Forester, mainly for the legroom and towing but read the first paragraph of this link.. and the Forester is RATED FOR TOWING.

http://www.subarumanuals.org/subaru-2495.html
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
dirtymedium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:23 AM   #5377
michaelbrad
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 300668
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Taiwan/Portland,oregon
Default

Where are you guys getting the info for the gold plus warranty prices?
michaelbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:34 AM   #5378
MARider
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 293944
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Hampshire
Vehicle:
2012 Sport Limited
Dark Gray Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymedium View Post
Just updating with a little more info on towing with the 2012 Impreza 2.0:

My wife called Subaru Canada and they informed her that if a hitch is installed, it will void the warranty. She challenged them on it from every angle and they stuck to their guns like I figured they would. The manual says not to tow with it, head office is going to say the same.

My guess is you could tow light weights with it, including a bike rack. But what if the unthinkable happens and there is a transmission issue? Will they wash their hands of it and say.. "no if-ands-buts.. you have a hitch installed.. no warranty for you."

I would hope they could be honest and say its a fault of the vehicle and not give issues but they, more than likely, would say they are not responsible.

I always towed with my civic even under warranty and had warranty work done without a question of the hitch. Its a slippery slope I suppose.

Anyone know if other countries have a tow rating on the car?? Ive read that VW has a tow rating everywhere except the states. (unconfirmed)
Interesting. I was/am planning on installing a hitch immediately after picking up my Impreza Sport. I will never tow with it, but I mountain bike several times per week and I use a hitch mounted rack for carrying my bike. I will not install the electrical connections. I wonder if you have a hitch, but do not have any of the electrical (meaning you clearly are not towing) if Subaru would still have an issue? I have had a hitch on every car I have owned, including a 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid. A car without a hitch is 100% useless to me.
MARider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:44 AM   #5379
dirtymedium
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 302978
Join Date: Dec 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARider View Post
Interesting. I was/am planning on installing a hitch immediately after picking up my Impreza Sport. I will never tow with it, but I mountain bike several times per week and I use a hitch mounted rack for carrying my bike. I will not install the electrical connections. I wonder if you have a hitch, but do not have any of the electrical (meaning you clearly are not towing) if Subaru would still have an issue? I have had a hitch on every car I have owned, including a 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid. A car without a hitch is 100% useless to me.
I hear you.. Im in the same boat, minus the purchase of the car. My wife called again and asked them about the forester business in that link I posted and here is what she just sent me.. translated from what Subaru Canada said:
IMPREZA - Ok, the guy said IF the Impreza has a hitch on it, it will void stuff on the warranty Ė JUST for having the hitch. They donít even make the cars so a hitch could be installed on them. Now I doní t know if I entirely believe that. I read something online too from years ago where someone was asking if having a hitch on an Impreza voids anything and one person said yes and the other person said they talked to someone from Subaru of America and they said it doesnít void stuff just for having it.

It makes me feel a little uneasy BUT im sure they are just covering off in case of a problem. Now what sort of OTHER things would be included in "void other stuff". Im sure MANY people out there arent even thinking about this but I would probably end up worrying about it forever haha

dirtymedium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:55 AM   #5380
dirtymedium
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 302978
Join Date: Dec 2011
Default

My two cents on your situation MARider:
If I was buying the car and was ONLY using the hitch I install for a bike rack, I wouldnt think twice. You know its not going to do anything for the entire time you have the car. Me, on the other hand.. i'll be towing a trailer, albeit light load.. things could definitely go wrong with that and it would be on me to sort it out.
dirtymedium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:58 AM   #5381
RedHotLama
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 104791
Join Date: Jan 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: LicksNipple
Vehicle:
2001 Impreza 2.5RS
Aspen White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymedium View Post
I hear you.. Im in the same boat, minus the purchase of the car. My wife called again and asked them about the forester business in that link I posted and here is what she just sent me.. translated from what Subaru Canada said:
IMPREZA - Ok, the guy said IF the Impreza has a hitch on it, it will void stuff on the warranty Ė JUST for having the hitch. They donít even make the cars so a hitch could be installed on them. Now I doní t know if I entirely believe that. I read something online too from years ago where someone was asking if having a hitch on an Impreza voids anything and one person said yes and the other person said they talked to someone from Subaru of America and they said it doesnít void stuff just for having it.

It makes me feel a little uneasy BUT im sure they are just covering off in case of a problem. Now what sort of OTHER things would be included in "void other stuff". Im sure MANY people out there arent even thinking about this but I would probably end up worrying about it forever haha

Just going to go out on a limb here and say their reply would not be approved by their lawyer.
RedHotLama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:01 PM   #5382
MARider
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 293944
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Hampshire
Vehicle:
2012 Sport Limited
Dark Gray Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymedium View Post
I hear you.. Im in the same boat, minus the purchase of the car. My wife called again and asked them about the forester business in that link I posted and here is what she just sent me.. translated from what Subaru Canada said:
IMPREZA - Ok, the guy said IF the Impreza has a hitch on it, it will void stuff on the warranty Ė JUST for having the hitch. They donít even make the cars so a hitch could be installed on them. Now I doní t know if I entirely believe that. I read something online too from years ago where someone was asking if having a hitch on an Impreza voids anything and one person said yes and the other person said they talked to someone from Subaru of America and they said it doesnít void stuff just for having it.

It makes me feel a little uneasy BUT im sure they are just covering off in case of a problem. Now what sort of OTHER things would be included in "void other stuff". Im sure MANY people out there arent even thinking about this but I would probably end up worrying about it forever haha

I just looked it up on Uhaul--they have the 2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback in stock. I have used Uhaul for previous hitch purchases/installs. Here is what I get when I put my car into the system:

"Your vehicle requires a custom-built hitch

If U-Haul doesn't have a hitch for your vehicle, nobody does!

Your vehicle requires a custom-built hitch which we will gladly fabricate for you. If you are able to bring your vehicle to our Tempe, AZ Research & Development facility we'll provide you with a free U-Haul custom trailer hitch, including free installation, and a lifetime unlimited warranty in exchange for the use of your vehicle to fabricate the trailer hitch. We'll need the vehicle for two to three days. If you are interested in this offer please complete the form below and we'll contact you to schedule your appointment. This offer is only valid until one customer per vehicle can fulfill our requirements."


This could be a problem for me.
MARider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #5383
mvray
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 300828
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle area
Vehicle:
2013 Imp Sport Prem
Silver

Default

Subaru UK show a hitch mounted bike rack as accessory for the 2012 Impreza.

http://subaru.co.uk/vehicles/impreza
mvray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:10 PM   #5384
dirtymedium
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 302978
Join Date: Dec 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARider View Post
I just looked it up on Uhaul--they have the 2012 Subaru Impreza Hatchback in stock. I have used Uhaul for previous hitch purchases/installs. Here is what I get when I put my car into the system:

"Your vehicle requires a custom-built hitch

If U-Haul doesn't have a hitch for your vehicle, nobody does!

Your vehicle requires a custom-built hitch which we will gladly fabricate for you. If you are able to bring your vehicle to our Tempe, AZ Research & Development facility we'll provide you with a free U-Haul custom trailer hitch, including free installation, and a lifetime unlimited warranty in exchange for the use of your vehicle to fabricate the trailer hitch. We'll need the vehicle for two to three days. If you are interested in this offer please complete the form below and we'll contact you to schedule your appointment. This offer is only valid until one customer per vehicle can fulfill our requirements."


This could be a problem for me.

Ya I was going to ask if you found a company that had a hitch for it. I couldnt find one when I looked. Keep us posted with where you get with this. Im sure other people are thinking the same thing.
dirtymedium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:14 PM   #5385
dr61
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 292453
Join Date: Aug 2011
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymedium View Post
Just updating with a little more info on towing with the 2012 Impreza 2.0:

My wife called Subaru Canada and they informed her that if a hitch is installed, it will void the warranty.
In the US, this action (voiding the warranty) would not be legal:

http://www.semaactionnetwork.com/mai....aspx?id=60128
dr61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:19 PM   #5386
dirtymedium
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 302978
Join Date: Dec 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvray View Post
Subaru UK show a hitch mounted bike rack as accessory for the 2012 Impreza.

http://subaru.co.uk/vehicles/impreza

Doesnt seem to be the same impreza though. Im not up on my schooling with this but all the pics look like the 2012 WRX body style / 2011 Impreza style for the 2.5L engine.
dirtymedium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:24 PM   #5387
dirtymedium
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 302978
Join Date: Dec 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr61 View Post
In the US, this action (voiding the warranty) would not be legal:

http://www.semaactionnetwork.com/mai....aspx?id=60128
Good info! thanks for that. So they would have to somehow PROVE that the issue was caused by the aftermarket part and not a defect. They cant just say "aftermarket part = void warranty".

I also read somewhere that they cant just VOID the warranty. Its a denial of service that they would do based on finding the aftermarket part at fault.
dirtymedium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:29 PM   #5388
michaelbrad
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 300668
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Taiwan/Portland,oregon
Default

How much should processing fees be when I buy a new car? 2012 subaru impreza
michaelbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:35 PM   #5389
Benchmark
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 295582
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA Mid-Atlantic
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelbrad View Post
How much should processing fees be when I buy a new car? 2012 subaru impreza
http://blog.truecar.com/2011/07/26/w...s-the-doc-fee/
Benchmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #5390
MARider
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 293944
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Hampshire
Vehicle:
2012 Sport Limited
Dark Gray Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr61 View Post
In the US, this action (voiding the warranty) would not be legal:

http://www.semaactionnetwork.com/mai....aspx?id=60128
Just heard from my dealer. He said towing is not recommended with the Impreza, but Uhaul is developing a hitch for the 2012 Impreza. He also said that they (my dealership) would absolutely honor the warranty with a hitch installed. Good news on both accounts.
MARider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:59 PM   #5391
ocellaris
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302559
Join Date: Nov 2011
Default

My car made it to the dealer in Maine on Monday night and now I am going to pick up my car in 3 hours since they finished the prep work. My only real concern at this point is the seat comfort. I drive a Jetta right now and the seat is fantastic even on 16+ hour long trips. Heck I bought the Jetta because it had the most comfortable seat I could find under $20K. I have signed some paperwork already but I still have a full opt-out if I don't think the 2012 Impreza will be comfortable. I will post an update once I drive the Impreza.
ocellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:06 PM   #5392
G-Omaha
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 209172
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Omaha, NE
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza CLL
BL2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD SNaCKY View Post
Exactly my thinking in bypassing the one extra year of warranty. i was quoted $1199 to go with the 7 year plan (which i will be doing)....i'm debating spend the $500 on the subwoofer or the tweeters....any one know anything about either? I'm picky with sound so i want to hear how the stock sounds first....but i'm not to confident.

If i like the sound, i think i'm going with the color matched mesh grille.
There is really not much information available for the enhanced speakers. I will be installing (or have installed) the Kicker Tweeters, Enhanced Speakers and Sub-woofer on the 5 Door Impreza Sport Limited that I ordered. Overall the speaker upgrade will be a bit dear. I think that the Premium and Limited models already come with tweeters; however, not totally sure.

Depending on what the extended warrant play is (Classic, gold, or non-Subaru) as well as the mileage and deductible, that $1199 may be a very good or not so good value. I'll PM you in a bit.
G-Omaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:12 PM   #5393
G-Omaha
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 209172
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Omaha, NE
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza CLL
BL2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelbrad View Post
Where are you guys getting the info for the gold plus warranty prices?
PM'd you a few seconds ago.
G-Omaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:16 PM   #5394
G-Omaha
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 209172
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Omaha, NE
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza CLL
BL2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelbrad View Post
How much should processing fees be when I buy a new car? 2012 subaru impreza
Nothings, if you swing it; however, most like something under the $200 point.
G-Omaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:24 PM   #5395
53x12
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 206332
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In a tent
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymedium View Post
Ya I was going to ask if you found a company that had a hitch for it. I couldnt find one when I looked. Keep us posted with where you get with this. Im sure other people are thinking the same thing.
The car is just released. Give it a few months for more options to be released.




Quote:
Originally Posted by imprzya View Post
Yea, I ordered 8/20, but as of now I have recieved all 3 emails. Seems like I've been waiting forever!
Did you go with a 5spd CLJ?
53x12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #5396
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

My guess is every person with a transmission failure from towing their boat is going to tell the dealer that they only used the hitch to attach one of those porta-johns when they went camping...

You can understand if you smoke your transmission that Subaru is going to look carefully at your claim that you never towed anything after you installed your hitch, right?

It kind of makes sense, a small car with a 2 liter engine is not designed to tow anything.
Zeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:37 PM   #5397
flyer456
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 302574
Join Date: Nov 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post
It kind of makes sense, a small car with a 2 liter engine is not designed to tow anything.
Spare us the American stereotype.

In Europe the 2litre impreza has been a caravan club favourite its entire life.
Sure I wouldn't tow wakeboard boat with it but a couple dirt bikes or a sled should be a non-issue.

And I will argue this all day if you like
flyer456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #5398
G-Omaha
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 209172
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Omaha, NE
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza CLL
BL2

Default

Europe, different market, price points, consumer expectations, and probably very different warranties. Europeans tend to spend more for their cars then we, here in the US do. As such, this may not be an apples to apples comparison. Having said that, the point that the 2.0l is capable of towing remains germane.
G-Omaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:46 PM   #5399
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer456 View Post
Spare us the American stereotype.

In Europe the 2litre impreza has been a caravan club favourite its entire life.
Sure I wouldn't tow wakeboard boat with it but a couple dirt bikes or a sled should be a non-issue.

And I will argue this all day if you like
Capable of towing and designed for towing are two different things. If it was designed for towing, it would be specified by Subaru as such (you know, like the Forester seems to be)....and they might have even offered a tow package that bolts on from the accessories they sell

As far as the Moss-Ferguson Act (not applicable in Canada of course) you are in a difficult position if your transmission has failed after you install a tow hitch. This is because it is not a difficult case to make (by Subaru) that the car is not designed for towing, that other cars have transmissions that are not failing, and that yours failed because you were towing items behind your car.

It really isn't an issue for me, as I don't plan to install a trailer hitch personally. I may even run Amsoil and extend my oil change interval. But if there is an engine problem and they claim Amsoil is to blame I always know I can have a sample of oil laboratory tested to prove the oil didn't cause the failure. It is going to be much harder to prove that towing was not responsible for the transmission failure (unless many of these cars including those without tow hitches experience transmission failures which I certainly hope isn't going to happen) -- not a position I would want to be in.

Last edited by Zeeper; 12-07-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Zeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:48 PM   #5400
chemkat
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 302578
Join Date: Nov 2011
Vehicle:
2000 Outback Sport
Green

Default

So my car was supposed to arrive yesterday. Even though status updates have been anything but accurate, I came to work ready to leave and go get it. Of course, all day I will be adgitated and ultimately disappointed when I do not hear from my dealer.

Tired of waiting for this car....
chemkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 Impreza STI concept art khaki_man Member's Car Gallery 37 03-15-2011 02:02 AM
Newsflash: 2012 Impreza looks like BigElm's Butt WagonMonster Off-Topic 4 02-28-2011 07:11 PM
2012 Impreza Concept Zakster87 General Community 14 11-17-2010 04:09 PM
Possibly looking into a 2011 or 2012 Impreza? xenonk Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC 1 08-05-2010 09:48 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.