Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday July 11, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 08:18 AM   #12901
CLL_OBP
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 310435
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fayettenam, NC
Vehicle:
2012 Sport Limited
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcausinmadrukis View Post
I know its minor but this is the first damage I have encountered and needed some help and advice on lowering my blood pressure...

How do you repair gun metal rims??

I have no clue on where to start.


photo (2) by jmaiden91184, on Flickr


photo (1) by jmaiden91184, on Flickr
Sorry to see this. Is all this one time or did it happen separately? I see two things here. 1) Something ate away the finish, like a wheel cleaner. 2) Is the nick on the edge from the curb?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
CLL_OBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:46 AM   #12902
WLS
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316030
Join Date: Apr 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLL_OBP View Post
Sorry to see this. Is all this one time or did it happen separately? I see two things here. 1) Something ate away the finish, like a wheel cleaner. 2) Is the nick on the edge from the curb?
Yeah I see the curb rash and the only fix for that is to cover it with as close a match paint as one can get.
The other thing is the general look. Is that just dirt and brake dust caked on or did he use a chrome/aluminum spray on cleaner on them cause they look NASTY. A strong metal cleaner is going to eat away the paint. If that's the case he might as well have the whole wheel repainted.
Good example of what can happen with the wrong cleaning product.
WLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #12903
imcausinmadrukis
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 318978
Join Date: May 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLS View Post
Yeah I see the curb rash and the only fix for that is to cover it with as close a match paint as one can get.
The other thing is the general look. Is that just dirt and brake dust caked on or did he use a chrome/aluminum spray on cleaner on them cause they look NASTY. A strong metal cleaner is going to eat away the paint. If that's the case he might as well have the whole wheel repainted.
Good example of what can happen with the wrong cleaning product.
Yeah I think matching paint might be my only option. If so any clue on the color code?

Would wet sanding it with 1000 grit and then 2000 grit help?

Next question might be stupid but if I accidentally sand with 1000 or 2000 grit on the non-damaged area would I damage it an any way? Take the finish off?

Also, yes that is all caked brake dust and dirt. I should of washed it first. I will do that today. Then re-take the pictures.
imcausinmadrukis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #12904
auskip07
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315643
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta Ga
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sedan
DGM 5mt

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcausinmadrukis View Post
Yeah I think matching paint might be my only option. If so any clue on the color code?

Would wet sanding it with 1000 grit and then 2000 grit help?

Next question might be stupid but if I accidentally sand with 1000 or 2000 grit on the non-damaged area would I damage it an any way? Take the finish off?

Also, yes that is all caked brake dust and dirt. I should of washed it first. I will do that today. Then re-take the pictures.
You are going to need something a little more serious than 1000 grit to flatten out the teeth on that. Tape around the area to keep from sanding a good part. Wet sanding is a later step used on painted surfaces i wouldnt go that far on a stock rim and rims take a beating and you will want the extra paint to help it hold up longer.
auskip07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #12905
BretAZ
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 320866
Join Date: May 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcausinmadrukis View Post
Yeah I think matching paint might be my only option. If so any clue on the color code?

Would wet sanding it with 1000 grit and then 2000 grit help?

Next question might be stupid but if I accidentally sand with 1000 or 2000 grit on the non-damaged area would I damage it an any way? Take the finish off?

Also, yes that is all caked brake dust and dirt. I should of washed it first. I will do that today. Then re-take the pictures.
pretty sure there are wheel repair guys that can make that look like new. Your location is not in your profile. Where are you?
BretAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #12906
BretAZ
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 320866
Join Date: May 2012
Default

Can anyone tell me if the sunroof is laminated or tempered?
BretAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #12907
imcausinmadrukis
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 318978
Join Date: May 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretAZ View Post
pretty sure there are wheel repair guys that can make that look like new. Your location is not in your profile. Where are you?

Oakland, California. US.
imcausinmadrukis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:58 PM   #12908
BretAZ
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 320866
Join Date: May 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcausinmadrukis View Post
Oakland, California. US.
I would contact Discount Tire (I think it is Americas Tire out there) and see if they can recommend who they use in the area. When they damage a customers wheel, they have to send them out for repair. They should be able to recommend someone in your area that can repair that wheel to like new condition. I have seen some repairs that I could not believe looked so good. Yours is minor.

Keep us posted!
BretAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:01 PM   #12909
eps105
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 205153
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Vehicle:
2014 Forester 2.5i
Venetian Red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcausinmadrukis View Post
Yeah I think matching paint might be my only option. If so any clue on the color code?

Would wet sanding it with 1000 grit and then 2000 grit help?

Next question might be stupid but if I accidentally sand with 1000 or 2000 grit on the non-damaged area would I damage it an any way? Take the finish off?

Also, yes that is all caked brake dust and dirt. I should of washed it first. I will do that today. Then re-take the pictures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BretAZ View Post
pretty sure there are wheel repair guys that can make that look like new. Your location is not in your profile. Where are you?
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, too. For example, check out these guys:

http://wheelsamerica.com/Index.php

I think I saw them profiled on the news a few years ago and saved the link.
eps105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #12910
BretAZ
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 320866
Join Date: May 2012
Default

I called Americas Tire on Pine. They use Riteway. They said to ask for Jose. 925-933-4046.

Looks like some of the BMW guys have used him.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=469083

G35 guys too.
http://g35driver.com/forums/northern...-bay-area.html
BretAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:40 PM   #12911
imcausinmadrukis
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 318978
Join Date: May 2012
Default

Has anyone removed the plastic off the dome light? Where do you pry from? I feel like im just damaging the plastic that surrouds the dome light. Please help.
imcausinmadrukis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:49 PM   #12912
FastJK
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 317325
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: High Desert
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Hatch
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcausinmadrukis View Post
Has anyone removed the plastic off the dome light? Where do you pry from? I feel like im just damaging the plastic that surrouds the dome light. Please help.
I just grabbed it from the rear side, used my fingers between the lens and headliner and sort of pushed forward/pulled down at the same time, it's tight but it can be done.
FastJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:25 AM   #12913
jrands
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 176522
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: S. Cal
Vehicle:
2014 WRX hatchback
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrands View Post
Can anyone post up a photo of the headlight adjustment screws?

My headlights when I bought the car seemed to be aimed high which was confirmed by frequently being flashed by oncoming cars. The dealer I took it the first time to take a look at it said that it was set within the legal specifications and that it matched up with the others Imprezas and therefore didn't do anything. I was going to live with that, but got flashed some more that very night and more so since then. Took my car to the another dealer today for them to adjust it (within the legal limits of course) and now they are aimed way too low. Literally cannot see anything beyond 20-25 feet in front of me and that is while driving in the city with a fair amount of ambient light. Can't imagine driving out on a forest road or mountain road at night the way they are aimed right now. Planning on taking it back to the dealer to have it adjusted again, but would be helpful to know where the adjustment screws are located regardless. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: My feeling and based on the cars I've had in the past is that when stopped at a typical distance (2-4 feet) behind a regular sedan, the top of the beam pattern should be at mid-level of the truck of the sedan. As of right now, the top of the beam pattern given my headlights are barely above the bottom of the bumper.
*Bump*

Anyone?
jrands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:36 AM   #12914
FastJK
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 317325
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: High Desert
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Hatch
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrands View Post
*Bump*

Anyone?
Edit: You have to remove the intake scoop...



Under the scoop you'll find the back of the headlight assembly.

Here's one of the adjustment screws, not sure if it's up/down or left/right. the other one is underneath (passengers side is blocked by the support structure, drivers side is in front of the battery.



If you look on the driver's side at the back of the headlight assembly you can easily see the one adjustment screw, but to show where the other is look where my finger is pointing, it's down in there pretty far.


you'd have to attack this one from underneath, if you have a really short phillips screwdriver.

Last edited by FastJK; 06-28-2012 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Being a nice guy. lol
FastJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #12915
imcausinmadrukis
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 318978
Join Date: May 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretAZ View Post
I called Americas Tire on Pine. They use Riteway. They said to ask for Jose. 925-933-4046.

Looks like some of the BMW guys have used him.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=469083

G35 guys too.
http://g35driver.com/forums/northern...-bay-area.html

Washed my car yesterday and reevaluated it. Its a minor curb rash but still a curb rash. Don't have too much money to spend so I am looking down the road of just applying some touch paint. Biggest issues now is getting it to the right color of gun metal.

Anyone with great knowledge on touch-paint or paints in general?

I wanted to use the touch-paint for the DGM same color as my car but its too dark.

Not sure how to really obtain any other colors without knowing paint codes.

Which I have no clue where to start.

Can anyone just throw some paint codes out there that you think can match and I will do my research on getting the closest to the color or the rim.

Thanks!

Close up


3 by jmaiden91184, on Flickr

Rim Rash


2 by jmaiden91184, on Flickr

Color comparison with rim and car


1 by jmaiden91184, on Flickr

Last edited by imcausinmadrukis; 06-28-2012 at 12:09 PM.
imcausinmadrukis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:24 PM   #12916
jrands
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 176522
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: S. Cal
Vehicle:
2014 WRX hatchback
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastJK View Post
Edit: You have to remove the intake scoop...



Under the scoop you'll find the back of the headlight assembly.

Here's one of the adjustment screws, not sure if it's up/down or left/right. the other one is underneath (passengers side is blocked by the support structure, drivers side is in front of the battery.



If you look on the driver's side at the back of the headlight assembly you can easily see the one adjustment screw, but to show where the other is look where my finger is pointing, it's down in there pretty far.


you'd have to attack this one from underneath, if you have a really short phillips screwdriver.
Much appreciated! I'll check it out.
jrands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:14 PM   #12917
jedi tacos
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 323296
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Louisiana
Vehicle:
2012 Imprezza Sport

Default

Anyone know how to change out the license plate bulbs on the sport premium? From my searching, i've found that a few people have done it, but i still can't figure out how to access the bulbs. Thanks for any help.
jedi tacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:46 PM   #12918
1slowscoobie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316880
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Southeast MI
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi tacos View Post
Anyone know how to change out the license plate bulbs on the sport premium? From my searching, i've found that a few people have done it, but i still can't figure out how to access the bulbs. Thanks for any help.
Should be pretty simple if you push that plastic cover to the side a bit, you should be able to pull it right out. Then twist-lock to access wedge bulb.
1slowscoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #12919
FastJK
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 317325
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: High Desert
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Hatch
DGM

Default

^this...all you have to do is put your fingertip under the outermost portion of the plastic housing and pry towards yourself. Then move it toward the side of the car and wiggle it out. Bulb size is 168.
FastJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #12920
jedi tacos
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 323296
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Louisiana
Vehicle:
2012 Imprezza Sport

Default

Awesome. Thank you both so much.
jedi tacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:04 PM   #12921
imcausinmadrukis
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 318978
Join Date: May 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcausinmadrukis View Post
Washed my car yesterday and reevaluated it. Its a minor curb rash but still a curb rash. Don't have too much money to spend so I am looking down the road of just applying some touch paint. Biggest issues now is getting it to the right color of gun metal.

Anyone with great knowledge on touch-paint or paints in general?

I wanted to use the touch-paint for the DGM same color as my car but its too dark.

Not sure how to really obtain any other colors without knowing paint codes.

Which I have no clue where to start.

Can anyone just throw some paint codes out there that you think can match and I will do my research on getting the closest to the color or the rim.

Thanks!

Close up


3 by jmaiden91184, on Flickr

Rim Rash


2 by jmaiden91184, on Flickr

Color comparison with rim and car


1 by jmaiden91184, on Flickr

Anyone knows who the manufacturer is for these rims?

I might try and contact them to see if they have any clue what the paint code is. I tried contacting SOA and they couldn't provide me with any info.
imcausinmadrukis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #12922
Ladeef
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 318753
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza
Dark Grey

Default

Enkei probably
Ladeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:18 PM   #12923
imcausinmadrukis
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 318978
Join Date: May 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeef View Post
Enkei probably
It's not Enkei.

Searching for this paint code is harder than I thought.

Message from SOA

"Hello Justine:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me.
Upon opening your message this morning, I had our Parts Department do some research. The manufacturer of the wheels is our manufacturer, Fuji Heavy Industries, Ltd. They confirmed that a paint code nor touch-up paint are available for the GunMetal Gray wheels on your Impreza.
I am sorry, Justine, that I cannot provide you with the information being sought.

Sincerely,

John J. Mergen
Subaru of America, Inc.
Customer/Dealer Services Department
1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)
Service Request #1-2025326995"




http://www.fhi.co.jp/english/outline...line/domestic/


Who knows how to speak Japanese???
imcausinmadrukis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #12924
BazookaBlue
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 320177
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Live Free or Die N'Hampsha!
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sedan
Marine Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
Looks great! Is it hard to prep the car for Zaino? I get the impression that Zaino is easy to apply; is that true? How often do you reapply Zaino, and how can you tell that it needs to be reapplied? With wax, you can tell by how well it beads water, but I don't know about Zaino.
Thanks. It was not hard to prep the car since it's so new. I clayed it (see here ... http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2356703 ) and applied Zaino. It's vey easy to apply, you can see the directions on the bottle in the thread. I apply Zaino twice a year, spring and fall. It lasts that long here in NH. In the thread I mentioned, I have a black 2006 RAV4 with 160,000 miles now that looks great after many NE winters.
BazookaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:55 PM   #12925
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

measured the rear sway bar tonight, 16.25mm. FWIW
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 Impreza STI concept art khaki_man Member's Car Gallery 37 03-15-2011 02:02 AM
Newsflash: 2012 Impreza looks like BigElm's Butt WagonMonster Off-Topic 4 02-28-2011 07:11 PM
2012 Impreza Concept Zakster87 General Community 14 11-17-2010 04:09 PM
Possibly looking into a 2011 or 2012 Impreza? xenonk Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC 1 08-05-2010 09:48 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.