Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #15501
Dirt Bringer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340297
Join Date: Dec 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Cincinnati
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza 5sp Prm
Ice Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans2k View Post
one guy on in this forum but i ask a question and he never responded. but i did inquire some information from multiple manufactures. it turns out that the last generation had the same bolt pattern for their struts. i measured the bolts and submitted it to the manufacture and they confirmed.
The burden rests on you to try it and show us all how glorious the mod is...
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Dirt Bringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #15502
stevehnm
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329526
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Ground Control
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Spt cvt
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans2k View Post
oops correct, it doesnt need more energy to keep rolling but to change acceleration. well the tire that came with the crosstrek is not classified as a low rolling resistance tire as the impreza was equipped was. i am not sure what you mean by "shorter". just thinking about it, a larger tire would have more of a contact area compared to a skinnier tire. why would race cars need wider tires? and if you had a skinny tire and a wide tire, both with the tires compound the same, then wouldn't a tire with more contact area to the ground have a more rolling resistance than a tire with less? not sure what you are asking me? I cant remember off the top of my head the exact numbers, but the final drive of the impreza cvt is 3.84 and the cvt crosstrek is 4.1. theoretically, sure a short drive should help but fuelly.com is killing the crosstrek mpg.
Contact patch area is equal to weight on the tire divided by the psi in the tire. E.G 1000 lbs / 25 lbs/in^2 = (canceling the lbs) 40 in^2.

The Crosstrek is less than 2 mpg below the Impreza, and I would think more Crosstreks would have 5 speeds (although I don't know that for sure).

What I've found on the final drive ratio is the Impreza 5sp/cvt is 4.11:1/3.70:1, The Crosstrek is 4.44:1/3.70:1. The Impreza tires sizes are all 25" +/- 0.1" diameter, and the Crosstrek tire diameter is 26.7".

So, with the 5 speed, considering the 5th gear difference of 0.738:1 for the Impreza vs the 0.78:1 for the Crosstrek, the Impreza is geared about 7% higher than the Crosstrek, if I did my math right and the information was correct from cars101.com.

Interestingly, and backing up the assertion that the cvt is programmable, the final drive ratios are the same, even though the Crosstrek's tire diameter is about 7% greater.
stevehnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #15503
ans2k
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315631
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bryant, AR
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehnm View Post
Contact patch area is equal to weight on the tire divided by the psi in the tire. E.G 1000 lbs / 25 lbs/in^2 = (canceling the lbs) 40 in^2.

The Crosstrek is less than 2 mpg below the Impreza, and I would think more Crosstreks would have 5 speeds (although I don't know that for sure).

What I've found on the final drive ratio is the Impreza 5sp/cvt is 4.11:1/3.70:1, The Crosstrek is 4.44:1/3.70:1. The Impreza tires sizes are all 25" +/- 0.1" diameter, and the Crosstrek tire diameter is 26.7".

So, with the 5 speed, considering the 5th gear difference of 0.738:1 for the Impreza vs the 0.78:1 for the Crosstrek, the Impreza is geared about 7% higher than the Crosstrek, if I did my math right and the information was correct from cars101.com.

Interestingly, and backing up the assertion that the cvt is programmable, the final drive ratios are the same, even though the Crosstrek's tire diameter is about 7% greater.
humm. interesting. internet points for you good sir. good find on the gear ratio. that is an interesting point.
ans2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:08 PM   #15504
Dirt Bringer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340297
Join Date: Dec 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Cincinnati
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza 5sp Prm
Ice Silver

Default

What's the size of the front sway bar? I thought it was something like 20mm? If so then I assume the cusco offering for 23 front rear can have an interesting effect...but the 20 front rear set is a bit redundant isn't it?
Dirt Bringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:02 PM   #15505
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Bringer View Post
What's the size of the front sway bar? I thought it was something like 20mm? If so then I assume the cusco offering for 23 front rear can have an interesting effect...but the 20 front rear set is a bit redundant isn't it?
Stock front bar is 22mm
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #15506
scoutisimo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315759
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Harrisburg, Pa
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 5 Door
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans2k View Post

thats one thing subaru is doing i dont get. build cars to compete against each other. crosstrek, forester, and outback. crosstrexk 33 mpg, forester 2014 32 mpg, outback 31 mpg. the difference is negligible and pricing are close. i mean wth. i know what your are saying. but why build and in between car. oh well, it is selling though. the crosstrek wont be perfect, no car will. 2014 forester is close though, large room, 32 mpg, and smoother engine.
Except it looks like Toyota had their hands in the pot on the design. Which is a horrible move. I hate Toyota styling.
scoutisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:57 PM   #15507
ans2k
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315631
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bryant, AR
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutisimo View Post
Except it looks like Toyota had their hands in the pot on the design. Which is a horrible move. I hate Toyota styling.
yea, looks like a rav4. i know. but i dont think any of the subaru cars are good looking. i mean comparing to one another, one might stand out more. but i haven't found a subaru that is good looking. the sti is just vular and profanity.
ans2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #15508
scoutisimo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315759
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Harrisburg, Pa
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 5 Door
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

But at least they were Subaru specific designs that always looked like themselves. Id hate to see that dwindle away. Even the old bugeye has its own unique beauty.
scoutisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #15509
ans2k
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315631
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bryant, AR
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutisimo View Post
But at least they were Subaru specific designs that always looked like themselves. Id hate to see that dwindle away. Even the old bugeye has its own unique beauty.
i have to agree, they were very unique and have since lost that with the new generation cars. oh well. it sells, that is the only thing that really matters in the real world.
ans2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:36 PM   #15510
Dirt Bringer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340297
Join Date: Dec 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Cincinnati
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza 5sp Prm
Ice Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans2k View Post
i have to agree, they were very unique and have since lost that with the new generation cars. oh well. it sells, that is the only thing that really matters in the real world.
The irony is that Subaru has had its glory moments punctuated by much...well something. The 03 STI was one of the most gorgeous looking cars I've ever seen. It had something to it. The bugeyes too, were special, and even the hawkeyes. 07-08 era legacy looked fantastic too. The new move on styling looks great on the Impreza, and on the Crosstrek, but doesn't really fit the rest very well (except the BRZ). As far as I can tell their styling is following the same trend it always has, just with less...bravery shall we say...or maybe it was just madness.
Dirt Bringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #15511
myrt1987
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 323103
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: toms river, nj
Vehicle:
2012 Limited 2.0i
Dreamy Gray Mistress

Default

Back in the day everyone thought the cars were ugly. Each generation that comes out is liked less and less until it is no longer the current generation. Consumers are just reluctant to change. In 5 years people will think the current models are better looking.
myrt1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #15512
ans2k
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315631
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bryant, AR
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Bringer View Post
The irony is that Subaru has had its glory moments punctuated by much...well something. The 03 STI was one of the most gorgeous looking cars I've ever seen. It had something to it. The bugeyes too, were special, and even the hawkeyes. 07-08 era legacy looked fantastic too. The new move on styling looks great on the Impreza, and on the Crosstrek, but doesn't really fit the rest very well (except the BRZ). As far as I can tell their styling is following the same trend it always has, just with less...bravery shall we say...or maybe it was just madness.
im not sure if i get what you are saying towards the end. their styling was "madness", very different. but that is what made them unique. the bug eye is a great example. 10 years ago, you could easily pick out a subaru in a full parking lot. now-a-days subaru is styling their cars to look like..well other cars. i mean its not like hyundai and stealing designs but. i dont think it will be that easy to pick out the subaru anymore. the impreza sedan looks looks like any eco box corolla and the new forester looks like a rav4. they have lost their uniqueness.
ans2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:08 AM   #15513
Dirt Bringer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340297
Join Date: Dec 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Cincinnati
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza 5sp Prm
Ice Silver

Default

I posted this up a while back but someone told me it wouldn't work for the impreza as it is hinged at each end (its confirmed to fit earlier in the thread, someone installed it). My question is, how well would it work? I noticed the Cusco unit is also hinged at each end, so would it actually work or is the sti flexible brace option for the impreza the only real option that will actually improve the handling (to whatever minor degree that may be)?
Dirt Bringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:35 AM   #15514
chrispsti
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 342676
Join Date: Jan 2013
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: RI
Vehicle:
11' lexus isf
sti sold 2011 Lexus isf

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans2k View Post
i have to agree, they were very unique and have since lost that with the new generation cars. oh well. it sells, that is the only thing that really matters in the real world.
Why i continue to own my 06 sti. I love the unique albeit boy racerish look to the 04-07 sti(see below). You know exactly what it is when you see it. I disagree with saying that tat the new impreza looks like a corolla or every other econobox. With the right accessories it looks pretty nice and unique imo. I added options like the rear spoiler, painted mud guards, fog lights, front spoiler, and the moon roof visor. These items make it look a lot sportier than the base( see 2 links below)

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/atta...9&d=1357437599
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/atta...8&d=1357437584
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my 2 stis.jpg (67.6 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by chrispsti; 02-03-2013 at 06:46 AM.
chrispsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #15515
scoutisimo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315759
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Harrisburg, Pa
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 5 Door
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

Our cars headlights are kindof a salute to the 06 07 wrx. Which is cool. Its the 2014 Forrester thats a puke of a car. Can you say Toyota? Toyota and Subaru are linked through Fuji heavy industries and it seems like they are talking to each other too much. Toyota if youre reading .. Keep your boring liver spotted hands off of our beloved Subarus.
scoutisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #15516
jsteg
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329271
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Lady's Island, SC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

2. SHUT DOWN WITH DOOR OPENING - While the vehicle is running under remote engine start, wait at least five (5) seconds and then confirm that all functionís (lock, unlock, etc.) operate properly on the FACTORY transmitter. Once FACTORY transmitter functionality is confirmed press the UNLOCK button on FACTORY transmitter and open any vehicle door. The remote engine start system should shut down and the transmitter button should flash three (3) times indicating the system has shut down.



Has anybody found a way to bypass or disable this annoying "security feature" yet?
jsteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #15517
ans2k
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315631
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bryant, AR
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispsti View Post
Why i continue to own my 06 sti. I love the unique albeit boy racerish look to the 04-07 sti(see below). You know exactly what it is when you see it. I disagree with saying that tat the new impreza looks like a corolla or every other econobox. With the right accessories it looks pretty nice and unique imo. I added options like the rear spoiler, painted mud guards, fog lights, front spoiler, and the moon roof visor. These items make it look a lot sportier than the base( see 2 links below)

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/atta...9&d=1357437599
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/atta...8&d=1357437584
come one. the sti is just vulgar and profanity. lol sure you and a whole bunch of people love the look. and everyone else would think "look at me i'm a car with a huge wing on the back with a hood scoop" sure it has the balls to back it up. and yea that car is definitely different than other cars. im not really talking about the sti in terms of "looking like everyone else".

any car will look different if you dress it up with accessories. just looking at it and comparing it to a line of eco boxes, it does stand out like it once did. back then when a subaru was next to you or coming in the other direction, you knew it was a subaru. not going to lie, when i see another impreza coming my direction, it does take some effort to make myself see an impreza.

and speaking of the forester, NO HOOD SCOOP ON THE XT!!!! the hood scoop gave the car character. the kind of character that said "this looks exciting to drive" like the sti/wrx. but now it is just blending in with the crowd.

dont get me wrong. i love subarus. they remind me of ex-girlfriends. "im not in it for the looks, i just love their personality."
ans2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #15518
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutisimo View Post
Our cars headlights are kindof a salute to the 06 07 wrx. Which is cool. Its the 2014 Forrester thats a puke of a car. Can you say Toyota? Toyota and Subaru are linked through Fuji heavy industries and it seems like they are talking to each other too much. Toyota if youre reading .. Keep your boring liver spotted hands off of our beloved Subarus.
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like the look of the new Forester. I'd like my wife to consider one when we replace her minivan in a year or two.

I know that Subaru and Toyota teamed up on the BRZ/FRS twins. But what really makes you think that Toyota is directly influencing the design of Subaru cars, beyond those two models?
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #15519
SleepNMnky
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302491
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Buffalo, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i Pr
Dark Grey Metallic CVT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteg View Post
2. SHUT DOWN WITH DOOR OPENING - While the vehicle is running under remote engine start, wait at least five (5) seconds and then confirm that all function’s (lock, unlock, etc.) operate properly on the FACTORY transmitter. Once FACTORY transmitter functionality is confirmed press the UNLOCK button on FACTORY transmitter and open any vehicle door. The remote engine start system should shut down and the transmitter button should flash three (3) times indicating the system has shut down.

Has anybody found a way to bypass or disable this annoying "security feature" yet?
I'm confused by all these steps. The engine will turn off regardless when the door is opened when using the remote starter. With or without these steps. Don't think anyone has found a bypass. I've just gotten used to it.
SleepNMnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #15520
jsteg
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329271
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Lady's Island, SC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepNMnky View Post
I'm confused by all these steps. The engine will turn off regardless when the door is opened when using the remote starter. With or without these steps. Don't think anyone has found a bypass. I've just gotten used to it.
Those steps are just to check the funtionality after installation. I REALLY hate that the engine dies when opening a door. It's retarded, waste of time, and unnecessary. Someone will eventually find a bypass or override.....I HOPE!!!
jsteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #15521
scoutisimo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315759
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Harrisburg, Pa
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 5 Door
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like the look of the new Forester. I'd like my wife to consider one when we replace her minivan in a year or two.

I know that Subaru and Toyota teamed up on the BRZ/FRS twins. But what really makes you think that Toyota is directly influencing the design of Subaru cars, beyond those two models?
Subaru is partly owned by Toyota now. Google subaru owned by Toyota. Youll see a consumer reports thing on it and a Wikipedia thing on saying it as well. Its a damn shame.
scoutisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #15522
scoutisimo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315759
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Harrisburg, Pa
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 5 Door
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

I guess itd be wiser to say Toyota is one of the stars on the Subaru badge as it represents the companies involved in fuji heavy industries. Toyota now owns a controlling share of fuji heavy industries.
scoutisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #15523
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutisimo View Post
I guess itd be wiser to say Toyota is one of the stars on the Subaru badge as it represents the companies involved in fuji heavy industries. Toyota now owns a controlling share of fuji heavy industries.
OK, but a partial Toyota ownership doesn't necessarily mean that Toyota designers are influencing Subaru designers (except in the case of the BRZ/FRS).

I think it's more likely that Subaru management decided that they want to increase market share, so they did some market research which revealed that people weren't buying Subarus because:
  • The fuel economy was too low
  • The cars are too goofy looking

So Subaru is doing what they can to address both of these concerns, and it's working, because Subaru's market share is on the rise. Some of you Subie fanboys may have liked the uniqueness of the Subaru goofy look. But that look was preventing sales to many mainstream consumers, so Subaru is shifting their designs in that direction. It's not because of Toyota's influence; it's because of the market's influence (IMHO).

My hope is that Subaru saves the WRX and STI as the car that will cater to their loyal fanboy customer base, and will intentionally design those cars with enough of that goofy/edgy look to satisfy those customers. I happen to like the look of the current WRX/STI, and I hope that I like the next generation too, because I just might buy one someday (now that I've banned VW products, which will stop me from buying an Audi someday like I had planned to do before my TDI experience turned into such a frickin' disaster).
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #15524
scoutisimo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315759
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Harrisburg, Pa
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 5 Door
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

Look at the new Forrester. If thats not influence I dont know what is.
scoutisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #15525
chrispsti
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 342676
Join Date: Jan 2013
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: RI
Vehicle:
11' lexus isf
sti sold 2011 Lexus isf

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans2k View Post
come one. the sti is just vulgar and profanity. lol sure you and a whole bunch of people love the look. and everyone else would think "look at me i'm a car with a huge wing on the back with a hood scoop" sure it has the balls to back it up. and yea that car is definitely different than other cars. im not really talking about the sti in terms of "looking like everyone else".

any car will look different if you dress it up with accessories. just looking at it and comparing it to a line of eco boxes, it does stand out like it once did. back then when a subaru was next to you or coming in the other direction, you knew it was a subaru. not going to lie, when i see another impreza coming my direction, it does take some effort to make myself see an impreza.

and speaking of the forester, NO HOOD SCOOP ON THE XT!!!! the hood scoop gave the car character. the kind of character that said "this looks exciting to drive" like the sti/wrx. but now it is just blending in with the crowd.

dont get me wrong. i love subarus. they remind me of ex-girlfriends. "im not in it for the looks, i just love their personality."
to each his own i suppose. their are definitely many differing opinions on the look of the 04-07 sti, thats for sure! I like the new subaru designs for the most part, toyota on the other hand
chrispsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 Impreza STI concept art khaki_man Member's Car Gallery 37 03-15-2011 02:02 AM
Newsflash: 2012 Impreza looks like BigElm's Butt WagonMonster Off-Topic 4 02-28-2011 07:11 PM
2012 Impreza Concept Zakster87 General Community 14 11-17-2010 04:09 PM
Possibly looking into a 2011 or 2012 Impreza? xenonk Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC 1 08-05-2010 09:48 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.