Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday April 18, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 12:01 AM   #15801
Reverend_
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315019
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Omaha, NE
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 5-Door
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

What other parts are you hoping to carry over?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reverend_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:06 AM   #15802
Dirt Bringer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340297
Join Date: Dec 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Cincinnati
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza 5sp Prm
Ice Silver

Default

Does anyone here suggest the perrin endlinks for the 19mm sway bar for long term durability or is that not really a concern? Are the endlinks used on the impreza different from the WRX stock endlinks by any chance?
Dirt Bringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:16 AM   #15803
MrLebreen
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 344816
Join Date: Jan 2013
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Bringer View Post
Does anyone here suggest the perrin endlinks for the 19mm sway bar for long term durability or is that not really a concern? Are the endlinks used on the impreza different from the WRX stock endlinks by any chance?
Second that too. Do you need new end links when putting in the RSB or is it just the bushing? Also is there a front sway bar
MrLebreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:25 AM   #15804
averagewhiteboy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 345877
Join Date: Feb 2013
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Sport
Ice Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend_ View Post
What other parts are you hoping to carry over?
IE, can we use parts labeled for other Subarus like the battery tie down, oil cap, rad cap, etc?

Also, is the only suspension option so far the H&R Sport springs?
averagewhiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:53 AM   #15805
foghelmut
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 328414
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: South Jersey
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza SP 5MT
obsidian pearl black

Default

I got a nail in my tire, too close to the sidewall to safely patch. The stock Yokohamas are not available aftermarket. (Really?). The tire shop insists that a different brand tire is okay because its within diameter, which makes sense to me according to what I've read. Am I okay for a long time, or should I be diverting efforts to get new tires as quickly as possible?
foghelmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:14 AM   #15806
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

The OEM Yokos are available on TireRack.com.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...port%20Premium

But I understand that you're in a hurry to get rolling again.

Personally, I would never mix brands of tires (or even a different tire model from the same brand) on the same axle of the car. If I was in your shoes, I'd drive on the spare tire, order one OEM Yoko tire from TireRack, perhaps pay extra for rapid shipping, and then install that one tire. I'd hate to waste the other three perfectly good tires (even though some people on this forum hate them; I think they're fine for summer use), and I don't like mixing different tires on the same axle.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #15807
Angelus911
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 89967
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
DGM

Default

Is there still an issue with AWD and different tread depths? I thought it was always advisable to get all new tires when you had to replace one due to the varying tread depth
Angelus911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #15808
myrt1987
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 323103
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: toms river, nj
Vehicle:
2012 Limited 2.0i
Dreamy Gray Mistress

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post

Personally, I would never mix brands of tires (or even a different tire model from the same brand) on the same axle of the car. If I was in your shoes, I'd drive on the spare tire, order one OEM Yoko tire from TireRack, perhaps pay extra for rapid shipping, and then install that one tire.
You mean the donut right? theres no spare. Either way the donut is a different diameter then the stock tires isnt it? so how is that any better? Ive always wondered this, especially since ive heard horror stories about different diameter tires on awd.


Quote:
Originally Posted by averagewhiteboy View Post
IE, can we use parts labeled for other Subarus like the battery tie down, oil cap, rad cap, etc?

Also, is the only suspension option so far the H&R Sport springs?
I think those all can carry over. For lowering purposes, i think those springs are the only ones available.
myrt1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #15809
foghelmut
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 328414
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: South Jersey
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza SP 5MT
obsidian pearl black

Default

The Yokohama's are backordered on TireRack.

From what I've read elsewhere, and from what the tire shop guy said, Subaru allows up to 3/32 difference in tires. I did some quick math, the diameter of a new Yokohama is 25.2". I measured my tread depth and I'm about 8/32 - 9/32 area, which is less than the 10/32 new. The Toyo Extensa that the shop had have a diameter of 25.1" new.

Taking that 0.1" difference, and remember my 7th grade algebra, we have 1/10 = x/32. Solve for x. 0.1" = 3.2/32" Taking all of that together, I am within 1 or 2 32's apart, which is within tolerable spec.

I think my main concern at this point is to monitor the tires for different wear rates.

But these Yokohama's were so bad in the snow I was planning on replacing them for next winter.
foghelmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #15810
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrt1987 View Post
You mean the donut right? theres no spare. Either way the donut is a different diameter then the stock tires isnt it? so how is that any better? Ive always wondered this, especially since ive heard horror stories about different diameter tires on awd.
I'm just trying to buy foghelmut enough time to receive a matching Yoko tire from TireRack. But your question is valid:

Foghelmut, how many miles do you have on the other three original Yoko tires?

If the tire shop he has visited is telling to replace just one tire (and if that's good advice), then I'd prefer to see him buy a matching OEM Yoko tire from TireRack rather than some different brand/model that the shop is trying to sell him because they don't have the matching tire in stock.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:41 AM   #15811
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghelmut View Post
The Yokohama's are backordered on TireRack.

From what I've read elsewhere, and from what the tire shop guy said, Subaru allows up to 3/32 difference in tires. I did some quick math, the diameter of a new Yokohama is 25.2". I measured my tread depth and I'm about 8/32 - 9/32 area, which is less than the 10/32 new. The Toyo Extensa that the shop had have a diameter of 25.1" new.

Taking that 0.1" difference, and remember my 7th grade algebra, we have 1/10 = x/32. Solve for x. 0.1" = 3.2/32" Taking all of that together, I am within 1 or 2 32's apart, which is within tolerable spec.

I think my main concern at this point is to monitor the tires for different wear rates.

But these Yokohama's were so bad in the snow I was planning on replacing them for next winter.
It's a tough decision. The only thing I can tell you is that I don't like to see mismatched tires on the same axle.

I guess if it was me, and if I didn't like the OEM Yoko tires anyway, I might replace the entire set of four tires at the same time.

Here's another option which will cost more money up front but would be the ultimate choice in the long run:

Buy a set of dedicated snow tires on a dedicated set of wheels right now. Install them on the car now. When TireRack gets the OEM Yokos in stock, buy one and have it installed on the original wheel. Use the original wheels/tires from mid-April through Thanksgiving, and use the dedicated snow tires the rest of the time.

I'd hate to see you waste three good Yoko tires. If your complaint with them is their snow performance, then save and use them as your summer wheels/tires, and use dedicated snow tires in the winter. I like my Yokos just fine when there's no snow, but I LOVE my Blizzaks in the winter. Two sets of wheels/tires is the best solution, but it is more expensive up front.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #15812
foghelmut
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 328414
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: South Jersey
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza SP 5MT
obsidian pearl black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
I'm just trying to buy foghelmut enough time to receive a matching Yoko tire from TireRack. But your question is valid:

Foghelmut, how many miles do you have on the other three original Yoko tires?

If the tire shop he has visited is telling to replace just one tire (and if that's good advice), then I'd prefer to see him buy a matching OEM Yoko tire from TireRack rather than some different brand/model that the shop is trying to sell him because they don't have the matching tire in stock.
14950 ish on the originals.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
It's a tough decision. The only thing I can tell you is that I don't like to see mismatched tires on the same axle.

I guess if it was me, and if I didn't like the OEM Yoko tires anyway, I might replace the entire set of four tires at the same time.

Here's another option which will cost more money up front but would be the ultimate choice in the long run:

Buy a set of dedicated snow tires on a dedicated set of wheels right now. Install them on the car now. When TireRack gets the OEM Yokos in stock, buy one and have it installed on the original wheel. Use the original wheels/tires from mid-April through Thanksgiving, and use the dedicated snow tires the rest of the time.

I'd hate to see you waste three good Yoko tires. If your complaint with them is their snow performance, then save and use them as your summer wheels/tires, and use dedicated snow tires in the winter. I like my Yokos just fine when there's no snow, but I LOVE my Blizzaks in the winter. Two sets of wheels/tires is the best solution, but it is more expensive up front.
I would definitely be all about that if I had a place to store the extra set of tires.
foghelmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #15813
scoutisimo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315759
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Harrisburg, Pa
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 5 Door
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

Does anyone know if the annoying hillstart assist can be disabled on the 5 manual transmission? I feel like it is more of a hindrance that a help and it cant be helping my clutch either.
scoutisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #15814
aeoporta
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 334126
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New York
Vehicle:
2013 5mt Sp Premium
Venetian Red & Dark Gray

Default

foghelmut,
I have oem tires 17" if you want them I can give you all four for cheap, they have a whole 9miles on them
aeoporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #15815
aeoporta
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 334126
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New York
Vehicle:
2013 5mt Sp Premium
Venetian Red & Dark Gray

Default

hill assist can be disabled check manual
aeoporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #15816
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeoporta View Post
foghelmut,
I have oem tires 17" if you want them I can give you all four for cheap, they have a whole 9miles on them
And if Foghelmut doesn't take them, send me a PM. Maybe we can arrange a meeting sometime when I'm on my way to/from LI to visit my daughter at Stony Brook University.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #15817
scoutisimo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315759
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Harrisburg, Pa
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 5 Door
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeoporta View Post
hill assist can be disabled check manual
Will do. Thank you!
scoutisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #15818
aeoporta
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 334126
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New York
Vehicle:
2013 5mt Sp Premium
Venetian Red & Dark Gray

Default

sgoldste01 I am actually road tripping past you to buffalo ny on saturday, I might be able to stop off at your city and you can have them, will be leaving from schenectady so its just me and 90W. I have 2 sets so foghlemut I can still accomodate you , I will test pack the car and make sure everything fits I will then pm you sgoldste01.




1 set of 4 tires have 9 miles off my dgm which got picked up in dec
1 set of 4 tires has 5359 miles off the red which got picked up in sept, (will use them up if no one wants them,
fire sale)
aeoporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #15819
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutisimo View Post
Will do. Thank you!
Please report back to the forum on this. If I recall correctly, you can disable the Hill Hold feature, but it's a temporary disable, and would be re-enabled again the next time you start the car.

But I might be remembering this incorrectly (it's been 7 months since I read through the owner's manual ), so let us know what you find out.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #15820
scoutisimo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315759
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Harrisburg, Pa
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 5 Door
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post

Please report back to the forum on this. If I recall correctly, you can disable the Hill Hold feature, but it's a temporary disable, and would be re-enabled again the next time you start the car.

But I might be remembering this incorrectly (it's been 7 months since I read through the owner's manual ), so let us know what you find out.
I just looked in the manual. Page 7-34 for anyone interested.
The hillstart assist when deactivated lights a light on the instrument panel which shows that it is deactivated. I find this incredibly annoying and while I didnt deactivate it yet as I looked in the manual after I got home the light feature seems to hint at it. Next time im out there ill deactivate it and let you know.
scoutisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #15821
jr0bb5
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315353
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp Prem
5MT OBP/DGM

Default

This may sound like a stupid question, but why would anyone want to disable the hill assist feature?! I personally feel that it is the best feature, besides AWD, the the Impteza has. Its extremely helpful and I wish that all of my past manual cars had this feature!
jr0bb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #15822
Sub!eDr!ver
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 88924
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
Vehicle:
2007 Tribeca Limited
05 LGT (98 LGT, 88 Justy)

Default

Some have reported that the hill-holder causes a delay in starting off from a stop - it doesn't release quick enough and you feel some resistance.

Probably just an annoyance, but some don't like little annoyances like that.
Sub!eDr!ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #15823
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr0bb5 View Post
This may sound like a stupid question, but why would anyone want to disable the hill assist feature?! I personally feel that it's an excellent and very helpful feature and I wish that I had it on all of my past manual cars!
It appears that the member who requested disabling the feature feels that he needs to use more gas, and needs to slip the clutch more, in order to get the Hill Hold feature to release and allow the car to roll forward.

This Impreza is my first car with the Hill Hold feature (my 2010 TDI didn't have it, but VW added that feature starting in 2011, IIRC). The first time I used the feature on the Impreza, I too wasn't sure if I liked it because it did seem like I had to rev the engine and slip the clutch quite a bit before the feature would release the car. But now that I'm used to the feature and the clutch, I like it.

I'm glad that my 1999 Civic doesn't have the feature. That's the car I use to teach my teenage kids to drive a stick, and I wouldn't want them to rely on the Hill Hold feature as a crutch. Driving a car well without that feature requires more skill, which my kids are getting on the Civic. They don't even know that my Impreza behaves any differently (because I don't let them drive the Impreza yet). By the time I let them drive the Impreza, they will be very skilled at using a clutch without the Hill Hold feature.

I would hate to see someone who relies on the Hill Hold feature get into a manual-tranny car without that feature, and then be forced to start the car on a hill.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #15824
jr0bb5
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315353
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp Prem
5MT OBP/DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
I would hate to see someone who relies on the Hill Hold feature get into a manual-tranny car without that feature, and then be forced to start the car on a hill.
You do have a very good point there. I'm glad that I also learned to drive stick without this feature. I'm not sure how long this feature has been around, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't available when I was learning to drive.
jr0bb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #15825
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
It appears that the member who requested disabling the feature feels that he needs to use more gas, and needs to slip the clutch more, in order to get the Hill Hold feature to release and allow the car to roll forward.

This Impreza is my first car with the Hill Hold feature (my 2010 TDI didn't have it, but VW added that feature starting in 2011, IIRC). The first time I used the feature on the Impreza, I too wasn't sure if I liked it because it did seem like I had to rev the engine and slip the clutch quite a bit before the feature would release the car. But now that I'm used to the feature and the clutch, I like it.

I'm glad that my 1999 Civic doesn't have the feature. That's the car I use to teach my teenage kids to drive a stick, and I wouldn't want them to rely on the Hill Hold feature as a crutch. Driving a car well without that feature requires more skill, which my kids are getting on the Civic. They don't even know that my Impreza behaves any differently (because I don't let them drive the Impreza yet). By the time I let them drive the Impreza, they will be very skilled at using a clutch without the Hill Hold feature.

I would hate to see someone who relies on the Hill Hold feature get into a manual-tranny car without that feature, and then be forced to start the car on a hill.
Nah, just toss them on a motorcycle, send them to a steep hill, and have them figure it out. After they master that trick starting on a hill from a stop with any car will be a piece of cake.
Zeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 Impreza STI concept art khaki_man Member's Car Gallery 37 03-15-2011 02:02 AM
Newsflash: 2012 Impreza looks like BigElm's Butt WagonMonster Off-Topic 4 02-28-2011 07:11 PM
2012 Impreza Concept Zakster87 General Community 14 11-17-2010 04:09 PM
Possibly looking into a 2011 or 2012 Impreza? xenonk Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC 1 08-05-2010 09:48 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.