Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday October 1, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #17226
WStrembitsky
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 323877
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Limited
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lymphomaniac View Post

Yeah, I wouldn't be worried about moving a 42" tv at all. The box fit the width of my rear passenger footwell without issue.
I was able to take a 42" TV home from the store in the Smart Car I owned. I wouldn't have been able to get anything bigger in but I did still have room for the surround sound system and blueray player.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
WStrembitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:50 AM   #17227
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutisimo View Post
I still think its retarded. Plus or minus isn't hard to read. Personally I'd rather have a water temp gauge. Or something more useful.
If you think the MPG meter is retarded, then you either don't understand what it's really telling you, or you do understand it but just don't care about your fuel economy.

I'm glad you like the new mirror positions. Once I got used to it on my VW a few years back, I really appreciated it. It did take me weeks to get comfortable with it, though.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:57 AM   #17228
scoutisimo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315759
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Harrisburg, Pa
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 5 Door
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post

If you think the MPG meter is retarded, then you either don't understand what it's really telling you, or you do understand it but just don't care about your fuel economy.

I'm glad you like the new mirror positions. Once I got used to it on my VW a few years back, I really appreciated it. It did take me weeks to get comfortable with it, though.
I care about my fuel economy somewhat. I'm happy enough with the electronic read out up top though. I'd rather see more diverse gauges telling me more about my car than two mpg gauges. I know if I feather it like a baby ill get better mpgs. Why do I need a stupid gauge to tell me that. Maybe my touareg spoiled me. And my corrado. They all had various gauges that I don't see present. Volts. Water temp. Oil pressure. These things to me would be beneficial if a problem ever occurred. Instead we get a redundant mpg gauge and dummy lights. Woohoo.
scoutisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:44 AM   #17229
Reverend_
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315019
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Omaha, NE
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 5-Door
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutisimo View Post
I care about my fuel economy somewhat. I'm happy enough with the electronic read out up top though. I'd rather see more diverse gauges telling me more about my car than two mpg gauges. I know if I feather it like a baby ill get better mpgs. Why do I need a stupid gauge to tell me that. Maybe my touareg spoiled me. And my corrado. They all had various gauges that I don't see present. Volts. Water temp. Oil pressure. These things to me would be beneficial if a problem ever occurred. Instead we get a redundant mpg gauge and dummy lights. Woohoo.
You know, I actually agree with this unless I'm doing highway driving. Really helps me fine-tune my driving to get the most of every drop of gas on longer trips. But I could always just use the MPG readout on the center display I guess.

It is kinda sad that we only get two gauges and a MPG meter, but this car wasn't really aimed at folks who want more information on their dash.
Reverend_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #17230
lymphomaniac
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 334451
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: YVR
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza2.0i CVT
DGM (sedan)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend_ View Post
You know, I actually agree with this unless I'm doing highway driving. Really helps me fine-tune my driving to get the most of every drop of gas on longer trips. But I could always just use the MPG readout on the center display I guess.

It is kinda sad that we only get two gauges and a MPG meter, but this car wasn't really aimed at folks who want more information on their dash.
Honestly, it's not giving me any information that I couldn't already glean off of the centre display. In fact, I don't even have the fuel consumption figures displayed on the centre console - I just have "distance to go" figures as my primary centre console readout. The only time I put the fuel consumption figures on it is when I go to fuel up (especially since Subaru set it so that it's always reading on the "optimistic" side).

To me, the eco gauge is completely useless. Like scoutisimo, I'd much rather have a more informative gauge, like a proper temperature gauge instead of the blue light-red light setup. (I'd also like to have an analog fuel level gauge, but that's a different story for a different time. )
lymphomaniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #17231
stevehnm
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329526
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Ground Control
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Spt cvt
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lymphomaniac View Post

To me, the eco gauge is completely useless. Like scoutisimo, I'd much rather have a more informative gauge, like a proper temperature gauge instead of the blue light-red light setup. (I'd also like to have an analog fuel level gauge, but that's a different story for a different time. )
The only time I use the Eco gauge is so I can tell if my cruise control up/down adjustment took. It seems that switch is a little temperamental on mine.

I like the little rectangles on the fuel gauge though - On mine they're really close to 1 gallon each, with 1.5 gallons reserve.

The center gauge (MFD) is a disappointment - they could have programmed a *lot* more information in it.
stevehnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:21 PM   #17232
Dirt Bringer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340297
Join Date: Dec 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Cincinnati
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza 5sp Prm
Ice Silver

Default

Has anyone put larger tires on this car? I'm curious to know what the results in terms of handling and performance would be. I know the crosstreks tires lift the car by about .8 inch compared to these, so that wouldn't be a bad idea I think, but I'm not sure how badly acceleration and handling would be affected.
Dirt Bringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #17233
lymphomaniac
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 334451
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: YVR
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza2.0i CVT
DGM (sedan)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehnm View Post
The only time I use the Eco gauge is so I can tell if my cruise control up/down adjustment took. It seems that switch is a little temperamental on mine.
On the list of features not used on my car, cruise control is pretty high up there. I've only used it perhaps five times, and four of them were used to test for the source of a noise in my car; the only other time was to see that the feature actually worked (when I first got my car).

I know a lot of other people have a need for cruise control, but with the type of traffic I regularly face, having it on the car and not having it are about the same.
lymphomaniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:28 PM   #17234
hi5.0
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340456
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza

Default

The relative lack of info. via gauges is also a gripe of mine. However I've noticed most cars in this segment that I had cross-shopped have the same lack of information or only have idiot lights so this isn't just limited to Subaru. I suspect it is because the general driving populace doesn't seem to really care about having that info. (oil pressure, voltmeter, water temp.) and would freak out if they see the needles moving around in response to (normal) changes in the engine's operating status. IIRC, even if the car had those gauges, they tend to be idiot lights presented in analog form - at least I find this to be true with Ford's Mustang. Out of sight, out of mind, gauge needle in the "normal" range, no blinking lights, everything's fine.
hi5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #17235
stevehnm
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329526
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Ground Control
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Spt cvt
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi5.0 View Post
The relative lack of info. via gauges is also a gripe of mine. However I've noticed most cars in this segment that I had cross-shopped have the same lack of information or only have idiot lights so this isn't just limited to Subaru. I suspect it is because the general driving populace doesn't seem to really care about having that info. (oil pressure, voltmeter, water temp.) and would freak out if they see the needles moving around in response to (normal) changes in the engine's operating status. IIRC, even if the car had those gauges, they tend to be idiot lights presented in analog form - at least I find this to be true with Ford's Mustang. Out of sight, out of mind, gauge needle in the "normal" range, no blinking lights, everything's fine.
I suspect that's true, but it seems they would at *least* make the info available via the two mode select buttons in the speedo/tach display. For about $50 you can get an aftermarket gauge setup that hooks up to and reads the information off the OBDII port, I suspect the programming change to put that info on the dash would not be very expensive.
stevehnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #17236
foghelmut
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 328414
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: South Jersey
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza SP 5MT
obsidian pearl black

Default

I take back what I said about the paint before. I'm not even sure what Subaru uses can even be considered "paint."

Now that it's sunny out, and with a fresh wash:




My entire front bumper looks like this.
foghelmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:07 PM   #17237
CLL_OBP
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 310435
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fayettenam, NC
Vehicle:
2012 Sport Limited
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi5.0 View Post
The relative lack of info. via gauges is also a gripe of mine. However I've noticed most cars in this segment that I had cross-shopped have the same lack of information or only have idiot lights so this isn't just limited to Subaru.
Subaru's non-U.S Impreza's have a nice multi-function display of info.
CLL_OBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:15 PM   #17238
gregorz4
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316869
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
Dark Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghelmut View Post
I take back what I said about the paint before. I'm not even sure what Subaru uses can even be considered "paint."

Now that it's sunny out, and with a fresh wash:

My entire front bumper looks like this.
By mine too! Plus 10-15 rock chips with rust!
gregorz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #17239
aeoporta
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 334126
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New York
Vehicle:
2013 5mt Sp Premium
Venetian Red & Dark Gray

Default

You guys do realize this is isn't a Subaru specific issue correct. Manufacturers are now using environmentally friendly paint which means thinner and more chip prone. Honda, Toyota, Mazda, any Japanese brand that's just the way it is water based paint is what most are using. Waxing the car and a clear bra can reduce but not eliminate this issue the same exact way that we have pzev cars with startup sequences we all hate so we must suffer with enviro paint for the sake of our environment
aeoporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:32 PM   #17240
uspopo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 317014
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY/CA
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited CVT
ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorz4 View Post

By mine too! Plus 10-15 rock chips with rust!
Same here...8 months old and the chipped paint has rust already!
uspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:29 PM   #17241
myrt1987
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 323103
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: toms river, nj
Vehicle:
2012 Limited 2.0i
Dreamy Gray Mistress

Default

Well the bumper is plastic so it cant rust. Get a hood protector for the edge of the hood or get a plastic bra on the front end. there are some solutions.

My bumper looks sandblasted as well but 5 years down the road it can be switched out easy.
myrt1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:07 PM   #17242
myrt1987
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 323103
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: toms river, nj
Vehicle:
2012 Limited 2.0i
Dreamy Gray Mistress

Default

No more hatch wrx.

...very interesting.
myrt1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:36 PM   #17243
aeoporta
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 334126
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New York
Vehicle:
2013 5mt Sp Premium
Venetian Red & Dark Gray

Default

If no hatch then I no buy
aeoporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:42 PM   #17244
MrLebreen
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 344816
Join Date: Jan 2013
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrt1987 View Post
Well the bumper is plastic so it cant rust. Get a hood protector for the edge of the hood or get a plastic bra on the front end. there are some solutions.

My bumper looks sandblasted as well but 5 years down the road it can be switched out easy.
Not sure how keen people are but what about a car bra there pretty decent protection, at least I'd be interested
MrLebreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #17245
gregorz4
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316869
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
Dark Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lymphomaniac View Post
Honestly, it's not giving me any information that I couldn't already glean off of the centre display. In fact, I don't even have the fuel consumption figures displayed on the centre console - I just have "distance to go" figures as my primary centre console readout. The only time I put the fuel consumption figures on it is when I go to fuel up (especially since Subaru set it so that it's always reading on the "optimistic" side).

To me, the eco gauge is completely useless. Like scoutisimo, I'd much rather have a more informative gauge, like a proper temperature gauge instead of the blue light-red light setup. (I'd also like to have an analog fuel level gauge, but that's a different story for a different time. )
the Canadian info screen is very nice. Lots of adjustments and am able to set up an engine temperature gauge for the triple meter setting. (3 different gauges on 1 screen)
gregorz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:44 PM   #17246
gregorz4
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316869
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
Dark Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrt1987 View Post
Well the bumper is plastic so it cant rust. Get a hood protector for the edge of the hood or get a plastic bra on the front end. there are some solutions.

My bumper looks sandblasted as well but 5 years down the road it can be switched out easy.
Sorry I meant on the hood and fenders. Bumper no rust, just lots of chips. Hood and fenders lots of chips with some rust coming through.
gregorz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:45 PM   #17247
gregorz4
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316869
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
Dark Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrt1987 View Post
No more hatch wrx.

...very interesting.
Where did you hear/see this? any links? That sucks. I much more preferred the hatch to the sedan.
gregorz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:56 PM   #17248
myrt1987
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 323103
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: toms river, nj
Vehicle:
2012 Limited 2.0i
Dreamy Gray Mistress

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorz4 View Post
Where did you hear/see this? any links? That sucks. I much more preferred the hatch to the sedan.
Quote:
“For the new generation we are moving away from the five-door style,” he said. “Because performance cars are more defined in the sedan segment.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2486833

I didnt think theyd scrap the hatch altogether, interesting. I thought sporty hatches were popular these days.
myrt1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #17249
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

I was excited to get home today and my overlays arrived....they shipped clear! Grr, now I need to contact them to get the correct ones shipped to me
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:42 PM   #17250
3rdSubie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 295513
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: St. George, Utah
Vehicle:
2012 Imp Prem Hatch
Camellia Red Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrt1987
Well the bumper is plastic so it cant rust. Get a hood protector for the edge of the hood or get a plastic bra on the front end. there are some solutions.

My bumper looks sandblasted as well but 5 years down the road it can be switched out easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLebreen View Post
Not sure how keen people are but what about a car bra there pretty decent protection, at least I'd be interested
If I'd known the paint would be bad I'd have reconsidered my decision not to get the dealer's pitched bra packages. My paint is fine for now (had to touch up a couple of bumper chips). Didn't do the bra thing because the sales person admitted that long term the color would fade only on the non-bra parts and the bra would yellow. I keep my cars very long term.
3rdSubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 Impreza STI concept art khaki_man Member's Car Gallery 37 03-15-2011 02:02 AM
Newsflash: 2012 Impreza looks like BigElm's Butt WagonMonster Off-Topic 4 02-28-2011 07:11 PM
2012 Impreza Concept Zakster87 General Community 14 11-17-2010 04:09 PM
Possibly looking into a 2011 or 2012 Impreza? xenonk Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC 1 08-05-2010 09:48 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.