Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday April 26, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 07:00 PM   #19001
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus911 View Post
I think inspecting it entails checking all the pipes and tubes for leaks etc
Green would still be bad ..
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #19002
averagewhiteboy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 345877
Join Date: Feb 2013
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Sport
Ice Silver

Default

For anyone who has painted their OEM grille, question..

What is the suggested way of doing this? Not the actual painting, I'm fine on that. But do you guys mask it off or can you actually remove the grille and/or center "wings" to paint? If so, any brief run down? I haven't really looked at it too closely, but I was considering doing it on Thursday.. I was thinking of painting the center bar "wings" in a textured matte black to match the rest of the grille bars. The car is silver, so I'm not doing the grille surround, only the center bar. Wasn't sure if you could remove them on the car or if you had to remove the grille first or what. Any help would be great. Thanks!
averagewhiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #19003
VegasSubie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 365638
Join Date: Aug 2013
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza 2.0i
1991 Galant VR4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagewhiteboy View Post
For anyone who has painted their OEM grille, question..

What is the suggested way of doing this? Not the actual painting, I'm fine on that. But do you guys mask it off or can you actually remove the grille and/or center "wings" to paint? If so, any brief run down? I haven't really looked at it too closely, but I was considering doing it on Thursday.. I was thinking of painting the center bar "wings" in a textured matte black to match the rest of the grille bars. The car is silver, so I'm not doing the grille surround, only the center bar. Wasn't sure if you could remove them on the car or if you had to remove the grille first or what. Any help would be great. Thanks!
This will show you how to remove the grill (shows how to put in a mesh grill, but it does have the removal part). I'd probably have to take a look at the back of the grill to see if the chrome pieces are removable. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to mask it off.

http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/724...010fj000xx.PDF
VegasSubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #19004
06SE
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 158925
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: NoVA
Vehicle:
12' Sport LTD
MBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasSubie View Post
This will show you how to remove the grill (shows how to put in a mesh grill, but it does have the removal part). I'd probably have to take a look at the back of the grill to see if the chrome pieces are removable. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to mask it off.

http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/724...010fj000xx.PDF
Or this thread with actual pictures will also help show you how to remove the grill.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2448363

The painted wings on the 12' grill are definitely removeable - a couple of screws hold them on.
06SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #19005
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

Or you can plasti dip it. Its really easy.

79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:58 PM   #19006
averagewhiteboy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 345877
Join Date: Feb 2013
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Sport
Ice Silver

Default

Perfect. Thanks guys!

And yes, a lot of guys do Plastidip, but I'm not a fan.. Looking for a more permanent solution. : )

Pics after completion! I noticed I've only ever put up one set of pics. lol
averagewhiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:48 PM   #19007
CLL_OBP
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 310435
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Vehicle:
2012 Sport Limited
Edge 5w20 65,158 miles

Default Here's another picture!

I removed the grille and this is what I used. I'd say it's permanent. I got about 8 coats out of it. Started on a Saturday morning, put it back together Sunday evening.
http://www.rustoleum.com/product-cat...-enamel-spray/



CLL_OBP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #19008
averagewhiteboy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 345877
Join Date: Feb 2013
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Sport
Ice Silver

Default

That is exactly the finish I am looking for. Just something to match the grille trim behind the wings. Did you use any primer or clear?

I painted my H logos on my Si I had. They looked great at first. The rear was fine, but the front one eventually started getting tiny chips in it from road debris.. Trying to prevent that..
averagewhiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #19009
CLL_OBP
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 310435
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Vehicle:
2012 Sport Limited
Edge 5w20 65,158 miles

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagewhiteboy View Post
That is exactly the finish I am looking for. Just something to match the grille trim behind the wings. Did you use any primer or clear?

I painted my H logos on my Si I had. They looked great at first. The rear was fine, but the front one eventually started getting tiny chips in it from road debris.. Trying to prevent that..
It's held up great over a year now. I believe the back of the can said it was clip resistant too but don't quote me on that. No primer or clear, just a little bit at a time, steady and even. I have a propane torch and I watched this video to prep, especially the wings. I was extra cautious not to melt the damn thing, lol. It turned out nice
CLL_OBP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:52 PM   #19010
averagewhiteboy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 345877
Join Date: Feb 2013
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Sport
Ice Silver

Default

Perfect. Thanks for the tip! I'm planning on doing this on Thu now..
averagewhiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:41 PM   #19011
Vjaramillo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 359666
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza limited
Ice silver

Default

You have to remove the bumper to replace the grille? Wow. That's nuts.
Vjaramillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:05 AM   #19012
CLL_OBP
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 310435
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Vehicle:
2012 Sport Limited
Edge 5w20 65,158 miles

Default

No, you do not have to remove the bumper.
CLL_OBP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:41 AM   #19013
bradze
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 103208
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Yelm, Wa
Vehicle:
2011 Outback
Azurite Blue

Default

has anyone painted the inside of the headlights? i wanna make my wife's car look cooler.
bradze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:40 AM   #19014
CLL_OBP
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 310435
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Vehicle:
2012 Sport Limited
Edge 5w20 65,158 miles

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradze View Post
has anyone painted the inside of the headlights? i wanna make my wife's car look cooler.
Check this out. It's not painting but it's opening up the lens if you wanted to. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2454725

Last edited by CLL_OBP; 09-25-2013 at 05:46 AM.
CLL_OBP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:17 AM   #19015
TRSAndrew
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 360634
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: ATL
Vehicle:
2013 XV Crosstrek
Orange

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vjaramillo View Post
You have to remove the bumper to replace the grille? Wow. That's nuts.
No. Takes a few minutes to remove from above.
TRSAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:39 AM   #19016
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

So I had to clean my a/c evap again, I just did it like 5 weeks ago. This time for the heck of it I pulled on the drain tube and about 1.5" more hose came out. I pulled the grommet off and saw there is quite a bit of space up there, I couldn't see where it actually attached though. I'm thinking maybe since 1.5" of the hose was stuffed up there it isn't draining properly. A lot more nasty stuff came out this time compared to last time which supports my not draining theory.

So a few observations for people considering this, or maybe those who have done it.
1. Check the hose is out ask the way.
2. 1/2 can of the foam is too much at one time. Yet again I had too pull the fan and clean it out. Argh.
3. I don't want to do this again. I have been making sure to not let the a/c run until the car shutdown to hopefully help dry it out, but I don't think it was draining correctly.
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #19017
bradze
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 103208
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Yelm, Wa
Vehicle:
2011 Outback
Azurite Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLL_OBP View Post
Check this out. It's not painting but it's opening up the lens if you wanted to. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2454725
yeah thanks, i found that thread a minute after i posted this. but ill pay someone to do it, i would **** it up. i paid for my outback lights to get painted, i just wanna see what it looks like. the chrome in the top section needs to be black.
bradze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #19018
averagewhiteboy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 345877
Join Date: Feb 2013
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Sport
Ice Silver

Default

Does anyone know off hand the procedure to disable the DRL and/or auto-on headlights? I thought I remembered there being a way.. I wasn't sure if it was the same as the 08+ WRX's or what..
averagewhiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #19019
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
Green would be bad. .
How do you figure. Both my brand-new subarus came with green "dex". Its bluish green but very easily green. What color is your coolant, man?

Last edited by 79letour; 09-25-2013 at 05:25 PM.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:42 PM   #19020
SIA_worker
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 353354
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: West Lafayette, IN
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza HB
Ice Silver Metalic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagewhiteboy View Post
Does anyone know off hand the procedure to disable the DRL and/or auto-on headlights? I thought I remembered there being a way.. I wasn't sure if it was the same as the 08+ WRX's or what..
A little and I mean little searching on often will provide a quick answer and write ups. To make it quick, put on ramp remove splash guard on passenger side below fog light. Look for aluminum heat diffuser block with a brown and grey connection and unplug. Tape off connection to seal from elements and your done. To turn fogs into drl wire tap green wire you disconnected to the black and white wire on fog light right below and now you have fogs acting as drl.
SIA_worker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #19021
SIA_worker
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 353354
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: West Lafayette, IN
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza HB
Ice Silver Metalic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
So I had to clean my a/c evap again, I just did it like 5 weeks ago. This time for the heck of it I pulled on the drain tube and about 1.5" more hose came out. I pulled the grommet off and saw there is quite a bit of space up there, I couldn't see where it actually attached though. I'm thinking maybe since 1.5" of the hose was stuffed up there it isn't draining properly. A lot more nasty stuff came out this time compared to last time which supports my not draining theory. So a few observations for people considering this, or maybe those who have done it. 1. Check the hose is out ask the way. 2. 1/2 can of the foam is too much at one time. Yet again I had too pull the fan and clean it out. Argh. 3. I don't want to do this again. I have been making sure to not let the a/c run until the car shutdown to hopefully help dry it out, but I don't think it was draining correctly.
I can't say for sure but on the legacy and outback that I build at the factory the drain hose is attached to the hvac right up against the firewall and on passenger side behind the tunnel. As for being able to pull more hose out that sound possible because about 2 inches run down the back of the firewall and then out the floor. We are not allowed to push it all the way thru because it can create a pinch point especially if a passenger has their feet on the carpet in that area. May be fine to pull thru to clean but I would strongly recommend pushing back up before finishing. Just my two cents
SIA_worker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:47 PM   #19022
TRSAndrew
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 360634
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: ATL
Vehicle:
2013 XV Crosstrek
Orange

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIA_worker View Post
A little and I mean little searching on often will provide a quick answer and write ups. To make it quick, put on ramp remove splash guard on passenger side below fog light. Look for aluminum heat diffuser block with a brown and grey connection and unplug. Tape off connection to seal from elements and your done. To turn fogs into drl wire tap green wire you disconnected to the black and white wire on fog light right below and now you have fogs acting as drl.
Badass. Didn't know you could do such a thing.
TRSAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #19023
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79letour View Post

How do you figure. Both my brand-new subarus came with green "dex". Its bluish green but very easily green. What color is your coolant, man?
Blue, very deep blue color. I know because I have a gallon on the shelf from when i drained the block to install my block heater.

I was surprised it was that deep of a blue because looking in the overflow bottle it does have a green tint, but it isn't green at all
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:51 PM   #19024
SIA_worker
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 353354
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: West Lafayette, IN
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza HB
Ice Silver Metalic

Default

Since fogs are in parallel they both run from just the one side being powered. Took me 10 min and I love the look.
SIA_worker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #19025
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIA_worker View Post

I can't say for sure but on the legacy and outback that I build at the factory the drain hose is attached to the hvac right up against the firewall and on passenger side behind the tunnel. As for being able to pull more hose out that sound possible because about 2 inches run down the back of the firewall and then out the floor. We are not allowed to push it all the way thru because it can create a pinch point especially if a passenger has their feet on the carpet in that area. May be fine to pull thru to clean but I would strongly recommend pushing back up before finishing. Just my two cents
I'm not sure exactly what you mean, because once the drain is through the grommet, it runs another 10" or so before the end of the hose.

I just cleaned the system (which on a 16 month old car is ridiculous imho), and when I did it again yesterday, more nasty stuff came out than the first time I cleaned it. That tells me it isn't draining properly allowing mold/mildew to grow.

I plan to test it in the garage and see how well it drains now, and if for some reason it doesn't drain well then I will push that little bit back in
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 Impreza STI concept art khaki_man Member's Car Gallery 37 03-15-2011 02:02 AM
Newsflash: 2012 Impreza looks like BigElm's Butt WagonMonster Off-Topic 4 02-28-2011 07:11 PM
2012 Impreza Concept Zakster87 General Community 14 11-17-2010 04:09 PM
Possibly looking into a 2011 or 2012 Impreza? xenonk Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC 1 08-05-2010 09:48 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2015 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.