Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday February 14, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Legacy Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-10-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
www.StormChase.TV
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 255516
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2005 2.5rs hailwagon
silver

Question 94 L wagon problem...Torque Bind???

WALL OF TEXT WARNING. skip to the bottom for a brief re-cap.

I bought this wagon about a month ago, 127k, not too bad for the price. A week or so after I bought it, we got a good 4 or 5 inches of snow, and she DOMINATED it. I was impressed. A few weeks later, another snow storm hit. 15-18"

So we shoveled around her, and tried to get out and about so I could make some money filming the people that were getting stuck... Well, my AWD was "working", but I wouldn't say it was functioning properly. I know that when the computer feels that the front wheels are slipping, its supposed to switch from 90/10 to 50/50. The back wheel/s would kick on, but only for a short period of time. Needless to say, we didn't get her out for a few days, and I had to walk to shoot video.
A few days of snow melting, I got her out, and drove around the apartment complex, trying to decide the best way to get out. I took off up a hill, and some fat redneck yelled "you ain't gettin outa here in THAT thing!". He was right, I got about half-way up the hill, and the front started slipping. The back wheels were 'clunking' off and on, not really adding any traction. I backed down the hill, and put it back in drive, asking the hillbilly if my back wheels were spinning at all, to which he replies, "thats a front wheel drive car, SON"... "SIR, I'm aware of what car I own, this is an all wheel drive, I'm asking you to tell me if my back wheels are spinning at all"... "huh uh"... So I spend another 45 minutes trying all of the entrances, all of which are icy hills, all with the same result. I'm stuck at my buddy's apartment for another day. I googled my problem. Learned a lot about how the AWD works, which is incredible, but didn't diagnose my problem.
blah blah blah, the snow melts, and I go out to my dads to throw on some new wheels and tires I got on craigslist. Nice little set of VW jetta wheels, only about an inch and a half bigger than my stock wheels, but a hell of a lot prettier, and much better tread. We bolt em on, and decide to test out my AWD, in D, 1, 2, and R. I drive into a snowy part of the driveway, and give her some gas. In all of the gears mentioned, the front wheels would slip, and the back wheels would clunk on every few seconds. Oh well, dad tells me to call the transmission guy tomorrow, I head back home. Going around the first few turns, I notice a knocking from the rear end. ****! The dreaded 'torque bind' I had been reading about. At least now I had an idea what was wrong. I keep driving, another turn or two, and it's only happening on turns at this point. After about 2 miles without turning, it starts again, and gets worse and worse. I pull into the gas station, check to make sure its not something stupid like ice on the mudflap or wheel well. It clunks in all gears, at what seems to be once every wheel rotation. For fun, I put a fuse in the "FWD" slot, and nothing changed. I'm not sure if the new bigger wheels had anything to do with it, or if its just a coincidence. I think the problem with the AWD and the new clunking are from this torque bind problem. I will be calling the local transmission guru tomorrow to talk about the 'Duty C' solenoid and the clutch pack. What do you guys think?

SHORT:
AWD hasn't been working correctly, only clunking on randomly when slipping through ice/snow. Bought new wheels and tires, only about 1.5" bigger, started hearing a clunk from the rear-end, first around turns, and now its non-stop. I put a fuse in the "FWD" slot, and nothing changed. I'm not sure if the new bigger wheels had anything to do with it, or if its just a coincidence. I think the problem with the AWD and the new clunking are from this torque bind problem. I will be calling the local transmission guru tomorrow to talk about the 'Duty C' solenoid and the clutch pack. What do you guys think?
www.StormChase.TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2011, 10:46 PM   #2
John@TA
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 261585
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
1997 95 Legacy EJ20R
Red

If this were a torque bind issue, putting the FWD fuse in would make the problem go away. Not to mention - torque bind ONLY happens in turns. Torque bind is caused by the Duty C Solenoid having problems, so you can rule that out as your issue.

The new bigger wheels didn't have anything to do with this either.

You should look into problems with the rear diff or the CV axles that come off of it (they aren't really CVs, but look like it...i forget what they are called). I'm almost certain your problem is in the rear end somewhere, and not your transmission.
John@TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:38 PM   #3
www.StormChase.TV
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 255516
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2005 2.5rs hailwagon
silver

EASY FIX! I feel like an idiot but I'm happy enough about it that I have no problem admitting that it was just loose lug nuts. This thread is now about me being an idiot.
www.StormChase.TV is offline   Reply With Quote