Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday September 1, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Proven Power Bragging

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2002, 03:33 PM   #1
I am Jack's VR6
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 20631
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Default The anti-WRX vs VR6 thread

Apparently I caused quite a fuss here with my comments about the WRX vs VR6 debate here . I wanted to post this because I felt the need to clear up what my intentions were to begin with.

I never thought that a VR6 would beat a WRX in the 80-140 scenario I posted. I do think it would be close though, with the WRX edging the VR6 out by a minimal margin by the end of the run. I think a majority of my personal confusion came from the term "walk". I consider that easily winning a race without competition from the other car but Dori's definition could be completely different...

I responded because I didn't feel that the VR6 was getting the respect it deserves, hence my defensiveness on the topic. I assume that Dori Dori and blkwrxwgn were doing the same, defending their cars, thus causing the battle between us.

Looking back to my first post, I can understand why they did get so defensive in the first place. Grated, I could have chosen my words a little better but my intentions were not to cause such an uproar, but to find out what the outcome would be.

So, again, my apologies go out to everyone who was offended by my post, ESPECIALLY Dori Dori and blkwrxwgn. I honestly hope you guys can understand where I was coming from...

- ian
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
I am Jack's VR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 03:45 PM   #2
BADWRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 3792
Join Date: Jan 2001
Vehicle:
2002 6MT almost GDB

Default

Ahhhhh, how sweet!


Andy
BADWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 04:11 PM   #3
I am Jack's VR6
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 20631
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by BADWRX
Ahhhhh, how sweet!


Andy
I tried to be extra nice with sugar on top!
I am Jack's VR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 04:29 PM   #4
I am b
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 9341
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Lake Tahoe area, NV
Vehicle:
2000 Landcruiser
2001 Triumph Sprint RS

Default

It's all good. You're alright with me.
I am b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 05:19 PM   #5
eric m.
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 14872
Join Date: Jan 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: kalispell, mt
Vehicle:
06 legacy GT black
accessport stage II.

Default

don't be so offended. this is a subaru forum, and obviously most of the people here have no experience with VWs or the VR6 engine. both wrxs and VR6 VWs are good cars, but on the i-club, you aren't going to get a lot of love from the subaru people. especially since the wrx is a faster car, with more horsepower. the VR6 is not turbocharged, which some people like better, and of course there is no turbo lag, but we are talking about 2 totally different cars. i personally think the wrx is more fun to drive, but i have friends that prefer the VW. so, it's just opinion.

i'm sorry everyone has to argue about stupid things like this. it all comes down to what each person as an individual prefers to drive. personally, i am not a mechanic, but i like working on the subaru much better than on a new VW. i had a passat and the thing was miserable to work on. the subaru is just fun to take apart, and i feel like i've learned so much just from bolt on mods.

ok. so... both good cars, but obviously you will get more respect on vwvortex, because they are vw fans, and most people here are not. so it's cool to post here, but you have to keep that in mind or people will be jerks. sorry about that.
eric m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 03:19 PM   #6
Fubaru
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 6046
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: San Francisco
Vehicle:
'08 Prius

Default

Which VR6 are you guys referring to?
Isn't VW now offering a 200hp and 174hp version of the VR6?
(are they just chipped differently?)

Another random question... "I am Jack's VR6"
Your nick is referring to the movie "Fight Club", right?
At least you have good taste in cinema, if not in cars :-)
Fubaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 03:23 PM   #7
I am Jack's VR6
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 20631
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Fubaru
Which VR6 are you guys referring to?

I'm assuming that VW was now offering a 200hp and 174hp versions of the VR6.

Another random question... "I am Jack's VR6"
Your nick is referring to the movie "Fight Club", right?

At least you have good taste in cinema, if not in cars :-)
I was talking about the Mk3 VR6 with 174hp [typically dynos ~160 to the wheels].

...and yes, my screename is from Fight Club.
I am Jack's VR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 06:47 PM   #8
wolfsburg2
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 20983
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: woodbridge nj
Default

new 00hp vr has 24valves instead of 12.
wolfsburg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 04:07 PM   #9
T-WRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 2468
Join Date: Sep 2000
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: JAX
Vehicle:
08 RS4
05 STi

Default

Jack's VR6 - I like your sentiment, and hope it rubs off.

While it seems that the quickest way to stir up a hornets nest on the boards is to talk about VW's --> it doesn't have to be that way.

About two years ago, I showed up at a Midwest I-club meet with my '96 Jetta GLX VR6. The guys were great. Not one person bashed my car for FWD, VW quality, made in Brazil, couch-like suspension, or any of the other things that you always see posted in any VW discussion.

Just people talking cars in a knowledgeable, logical, passionate, and respectful tone.

Please put your ego away when you log in. Sigh.
T-WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 11:28 PM   #10
Ponm
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 17321
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Vehicle:
2002 wrx wagon
blue

Default I drive both

I own a wrx wagon and a 2001 vr6 jetta. Completly different engines and cars, and each satisify my driving needs in different ways. The vr6 is a nice engine, it just sits in a car that handles horribly. THats why I drive the wrx and the wife gets the jetta.
-scott
Ponm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 09:03 AM   #11
I am Jack's VR6
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 20631
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Default Re: I drive both

Quote:
Originally posted by Ponm
I own a wrx wagon and a 2001 vr6 jetta. Completly different engines and cars, and each satisify my driving needs in different ways. The vr6 is a nice engine, it just sits in a car that handles horribly. THats why I drive the wrx and the wife gets the jetta.
-scott
This is the anti-WRX vs VR6 thread
I am Jack's VR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 09:17 AM   #12
I am Jack's VR6
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 20631
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by T-WRX
Jack's VR6 - I like your sentiment, and hope it rubs off.

While it seems that the quickest way to stir up a hornets nest on the boards is to talk about VW's --> it doesn't have to be that way.

About two years ago, I showed up at a Midwest I-club meet with my '96 Jetta GLX VR6. The guys were great. Not one person bashed my car for FWD, VW quality, made in Brazil, couch-like suspension, or any of the other things that you always see posted in any VW discussion.

Just people talking cars in a knowledgeable, logical, passionate, and respectful tone.

Please put your ego away when you log in. Sigh.
If anything, I think this thread shows my lack of ego.

I still don't think that the VR6 gets as much credit as it's due. I just realized that some people here will never understand that. They will constantly renforce their car brand with whatever they need to, just like me, and just like everyone else.
I am Jack's VR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 09:22 AM   #13
RiftsWRX
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 6124
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Glendale Hts, IL, USA
Vehicle:
2000 NFR AP1 S2000
'07 Honda FIT sport (5MT)

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by I am Jack's VR6


If anything, I think this thread shows my lack of ego.

I still don't think that the VR6 gets as much credit as it's due. I just realized that some people here will never understand that. They will constantly renforce their car brand with whatever they need to, just like me, and just like everyone else.
On the other hand.. maybe it's just us Midwest guys who have a passionate pursuit about CARS... not just our car... it's all about the enthusiast out here in the midwest

Jorge (RiftsWRX)
www.ProjectWRX.com
RiftsWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 05:29 PM   #14
Dori Dori
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 6780
Join Date: May 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: South Florida
Vehicle:
1993 Nissan

Default

I don't think anyone is anti-vr6 per say...

It's just that some people like gin and others like juice.

For my needs as a driver, the VR6 powered Golf was not acceptable. To be completely honest, neither is the WRX...go figure. I'll be building a new car soon in hopes to fill in the gap that the WRX leaves behind. To be honest, I don't think that there is any single car on the market that can do it all for me...accept maybe a M3...that car is almost perfect.

BTW 'Jack', I don't hold bbs grudges...this is the internet afterall. I post here for shlts and giggles and to get info...I don't let it run my life (not implying you or anyone else do). If I were to meet you in person, I'd just shake your hand, introduce myself, and act the same as I do meeting anyone for the first time.
Dori Dori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 05:51 PM   #15
I am Jack's VR6
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 20631
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Dori Dori
I don't think anyone is anti-vr6 per say...

It's just that some people like gin and others like juice.

For my needs as a driver, the VR6 powered Golf was not acceptable. To be completely honest, neither is the WRX...go figure. I'll be building a new car soon in hopes to fill in the gap that the WRX leaves behind. To be honest, I don't think that there is any single car on the market that can do it all for me...accept maybe a M3...that car is almost perfect.

BTW 'Jack', I don't hold bbs grudges...this is the internet afterall. I post here for shlts and giggles and to get info...I don't let it run my life (not implying you or anyone else do). If I were to meet you in person, I'd just shake your hand, introduce myself, and act the same as I do meeting anyone for the first time.
I hear you on the M3. M3's and FD RX7 R1's are where it's at for me. I would LOVE to have either of those cars but it just isn't possible for me to do that now. I have tight budget with school and all but I really want to own one of those in the near future.

Hey Dori, is your screename from Best Motoring? I recently got a clip and heard some guy say "dori dori" in it. What does it mean?
I am Jack's VR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 06:57 PM   #16
Dori Dori
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 6780
Join Date: May 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: South Florida
Vehicle:
1993 Nissan

Default

Actually, Dori Dori is just one of the many slang names for Keiichi Tsuchiya. He is one of the most successful racers in the JGTC for the past decade and is also accredited for his amazing drifting skills. His other name is Doriken or 'The Drift King'. He's the little short guy w/ squinty eyes and always wears green on those BestMotoring videos...he has Kenwood on his helmet. In the JGTC, he is one of the drivers of the Autobacs NSX. They also ran in Le Mans w/ that car a few years back. Depending on which BM video you have, you may have seen his personal drift car...a white Hachi Roku. He's on the RWD side during a Touge battle in video 2.

Here's a pic of him:


Here's his JGTC car:


This is his web page: www.k1planning.com
Dori Dori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 09:45 PM   #17
T-WRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 2468
Join Date: Sep 2000
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: JAX
Vehicle:
08 RS4
05 STi

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by I am Jack's VR6


If anything, I think this thread shows my lack of ego.

I still don't think that the VR6 gets as much credit as it's due. I just realized that some people here will never understand that. They will constantly renforce their car brand with whatever they need to, just like me, and just like everyone else.
Of course, my statement about ego was meant to be rhetorical for the reader at large. But the rule for the internet is that if something written can be misconstrued, it will. At least you didn't seem to take offense.

And as for VR6 credit . . . this particular WRX owner still owns his VR6, and drives it as often as his wife will let him. ("Stop abusing it," she yells at me.)
T-WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 12:04 AM   #18
I am b
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 9341
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Lake Tahoe area, NV
Vehicle:
2000 Landcruiser
2001 Triumph Sprint RS

Default

well you picked a very bad subject for me. I owned a VR6 Jetta and it was in the shop non stop. It was legally a lemon and VW screwed us big time. They kept telling us that they would take care of it and get us another car. They did that off and on until the statute of limitations was up and then said "sorry your warranty is up and it's too late". Really nasty arbitration followed and we ended up the whole time with a car that didn't run while going thru arbitration. Well ended up with us giving the car up because we needed another car while this one wouldn't work. We handed it back to the finance company and said "here you go!". We took a nasty hit on our credit.

Well after that nightmare of a story.............I always thought that the engine was overrated anyways and always dreaded driving it even when it ran good. Sorry but I just don't like VW and I don't like the VR6. I think I have a right to that opinion and a reason to have it.
I am b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 09:36 AM   #19
I am Jack's VR6
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 20631
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by I am b
well you picked a very bad subject for me. I owned a VR6 Jetta and it was in the shop non stop. It was legally a lemon and VW screwed us big time. They kept telling us that they would take care of it and get us another car. They did that off and on until the statute of limitations was up and then said "sorry your warranty is up and it's too late". Really nasty arbitration followed and we ended up the whole time with a car that didn't run while going thru arbitration. Well ended up with us giving the car up because we needed another car while this one wouldn't work. We handed it back to the finance company and said "here you go!". We took a nasty hit on our credit.

Well after that nightmare of a story.............I always thought that the engine was overrated anyways and always dreaded driving it even when it ran good. Sorry but I just don't like VW and I don't like the VR6. I think I have a right to that opinion and a reason to have it.
I can completely understand where you are coming from. VWoA makes stupid decisions and I try to deal with them as little as possible. I wish they had the balls Subaru does, bringing over the WRX and all...

I'm trying really hard to keep my personal views of the VR6 out of this and I would appreciate the same from everyone else. This is the anti-WRX vs VR6 thread afterall.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with VW's I am b. I have had the exact opposite experience that you have had, but maybe I just got lucky...
I am Jack's VR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 11:13 AM   #20
peepshow
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 1777
Join Date: Jun 2000
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Charlotte, NC USofA
Vehicle:
2005 LGT
#92 FZippy

Default

Can we get VW to import the Seat Leon 4 door hatch that is AWD with the 205hp VR6? That is a cool car!

- Trent
peepshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 11:32 AM   #21
I am Jack's VR6
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 20631
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by dsmawd
Can we get VW to import the Seat Leon 4 door hatch that is AWD with the 205hp VR6? That is a cool car!

- Trent
VW is too f-ing stupid to actually want to make money on performance cars. All they have to do is import them here and watch the money come flowing in...
I am Jack's VR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 12:49 PM   #22
Sordid Philosopher
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 16854
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East Bay - CA
Vehicle:
2003 WRX Sedan
White

Default

I was told that the GTi VR6 with after market turbo/intercooler would run 11's. Is this true? I looked and all the aftermarket turbos (for the VR6) seem to be in GE.
Sordid Philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 01:24 PM   #23
TopGun
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 12207
Join Date: Nov 2001
Vehicle:
2001 Mustang Bullitt
Black

Default

VW is too stupid to make money on performance! I agree 100%. I mean, just look at the suspension that comes with the GTI. They are trying to push the luxury market segment now, joining the ranks of what I call the "gunboat" sedans, such as the 7 series, benz e-class, etc...it's called the stupidest thing on the planet. I hope the name changes before production...do they actually think that someone with enough money to get a BMW, MB, or Lexus is going to choose a VW instead?? The thing is supposed to retail for over 60K...the name? Phaeton.
TopGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 03:26 PM   #24
FlyinTurbo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 21873
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Chandler, AZ
Vehicle:
01 VW GTI
Matchstick Red

Default

VR6 vs. WRX? Why compare those two? Compare the WRX to VWs 1.8T At least with a couple of small mods (chip, intake and exhaust) the 1.8t puts down a lil over 200 whp. Driving just the fronts, the engine makes either the Jetta or the GTI at least some competition off of the line for the WRX and makes beating one off of a roll a tough proposition for a stock scoobie.

Since I own three of em (one of em on the April cover of Eurotuner ), I am kinda a dub fan, but don't blast me for that because I enjoy all makes of cars and have a great deal of respect for the WRX (and if I didn't own three dubs, I might own a WRX!)
FlyinTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 03:30 PM   #25
I am Jack's VR6
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 20631
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Sordid Philosopher
I was told that the GTi VR6 with after market turbo/intercooler would run 11's. Is this true? I looked and all the aftermarket turbos (for the VR6) seem to be in GE.
That is very true. There are a couple guys from Jersey that roll together that all have the same setup. They run 60-1 hi-fi's at around 16-18 psi.

Here is a link to a video of one of those guys running a 11.49 [his 3rd best run].

VR6 turbo running 11.49 [right click > save as]

There a ton of really good videos on VWsport.com, and it's not only VW's. There's a guy on here named ItsukiVR6 that keeps it up and running. Check it out, it's good stuff.

VWsport.com videos

Last edited by I am Jack's VR6; 07-24-2002 at 03:38 PM.
I am Jack's VR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Official "trdvibe vs Mavrik" Thread aka Who's got the bigger... AKLGT Alaskan Impreza Club Forum -- AKIC 76 08-19-2005 07:24 PM
question about the wrx vs lighting thread AndyMac004 South East Region Forum 16 05-11-2004 06:52 AM
Stock WRX vs. VR6 Corrado stevedood Proven Power Bragging 60 07-03-2002 01:47 PM
WRX vs. VR6 for serious $$$ RiftsWRX Motorsports 29 11-08-2001 03:29 PM
Who canned the WRX vs. MR2T thread? Buck-O General Forum Archive 1 03-13-2001 08:12 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.