Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Legacy Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 07-13-2002, 12:58 AM   #1
McCloyd
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 21005
Vehicle:
1990 Legacy LS
Silver

Question Test Mode Connector (90 Legacy)

I am new to the first generation Legacys. I've had a '81 and '84 DL/GL 4WD wagons but with carbs they didn't have ony OBD stuff. I have a '90 Legacy LS AWD. The Haynes manual doesn't describe the connector or location very well. There was a blue one (near accelator pedal) that I disconnected but the check engine light did nothing. There was a green connector on the left near the fuse box but it was already disconnected. It had an orange wire on one side and a black/red wire on the other like shown on the schematic in the back but when I connected it the check engine light flashed 3 times quickly and repeated with no long flashes. Can anyone tell me where the real test mode connector is?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
McCloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 12:02 PM   #2
Legacy777
Scooby Guru

Member#: 4800
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
1990 Legacy & 97 OBS
AWD 6MT EJ22T AWIC Swap

I replied to your other message on the BC-BF List,

But check out my site in the notes & tips section, engine related. You should find what you're lookin for there

www.surrealmirage.com/subaru
Legacy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 01:08 PM   #3
subysouth
Scooby Guru

Member#: 5039
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2007 Outback XT
Grey 5-speed

Default man I'm annoyed

I really should have been able to answer this better but.....I didnt write it all down. First of all the Haynes manual is incorrect. It says to disconnect the test connector. It should normally be disconnected, you need to CONNECT it to yield the error codes. Now heres the annoyance, I didnt write down which one it was. I found them both too. IIRC, I believe it is the one near the fuse box( I cant remeber the color.)
subysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 11:57 PM   #4
McCloyd
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1990 Legacy LS
Silver

Talking Thanks for info/more questions

Thanks to legacy777 and subysouth. The Haynes manual can really screw you up. I found the connector and I have a 22, 24 and 35.

22: Knock sensor, I understand to ignore Haynes for this and found the access from above (if it checks as bad.)

35: Purge control solenoid valve. I will check this but this again looks as if its not too bad to get to.

24: "Air control valve", is this the IAC which is responsible for the idle speed/air flow? When I start the soobie it may idle around 1200rpm (as if it were cold) or it may search for a speed swinging from 1100 to 500 until it settles at 750 in a few seconds and once running is rock solid at 750. I also need to verify the resistance and supply voltage of the valve before going further.

Overall the car runs well even with these codes. Any thoughts?
Old 07-16-2002, 12:10 AM   #5
subysouth
Scooby Guru

Member#: 5039
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2007 Outback XT
Grey 5-speed

Default well

I got my insight on the error code connectors from a Subie mechanic in Connecticut.

I too was getting the knock sensor error. he suggested the following: Remove the sensor and clean the mating surfaces on the sensor and the block with a brass wire brush and re-attach. Clear the codes and try again. If its still reads bad, it is bad. I my case mine was bad and replacing it made the car accelerate much smoother. I think the ecu retards upon an error from this sensor.

The other codes I have no experience with.

HTH subysouth
subysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 09:04 AM   #6
Legacy777
Scooby Guru

Member#: 4800
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
1990 Legacy & 97 OBS
AWD 6MT EJ22T AWIC Swap

Number one thing in trouble shooting codes is to first do what you mentioned.....read the codes, see what is causing CEL or what not.

Next step is what subysouth sorta mentioned. Reset the ECU, clear the codes from the memory, and drive the car. Then check the codes again or see if CEL comes on again. After a little bit, check the codes again and see what's in there. If you get a repeat code, the sensor in question is more then likely bad.

Clear the codes, either by the battery dance method, or by connecting both the black and green connectors as I have mentioned on my site, and then tell us what you find out later.

Josh
Legacy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 11:45 PM   #7
McCloyd
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1990 Legacy LS
Silver

Smile Error codes

Again thanks for the insight. I will reply with info on this thread but it probably won't be until the week end.

McCloyd