Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday April 16, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2011, 10:49 PM   #1
frederik
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 64405
Join Date: Jun 2004
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: St-Georges, QC, Canada
Vehicle:
2003 WRX Sedan
WRB - Cobb Stg 2

Default HIR1 9011 Philips versions ?

I read quite a bit on the internet about the HIR1 bulbs (9011, the 9005 replacements) and found different information and I am kind of confused as to which bulb actually use the HIR technology, and if there are different Philips 9011 bulbs versions.

Most discussions I read tend to say that the Philips 9011 does not actually use the HIR technology to achieve the rated lumens, but is rather a improved traditional halogen bulb. 9012 is different though, it appears that it does have the HIR technology and some other significant improvements, but I am only interested by 9011 right now and whether or not it was improved too.

I understand the end result is the same in regards to lumens and other critical specifications no matter what the technology to achieve it is, but I would still like to know what is what.


If you happen to have found nice places for information on HIR let me know as I would like to learn some more on the subject.

While at it, how much life you guys got out of the Philips 9011 compared to the previous 9005 you had ?

Thanks

Fred
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
frederik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:56 PM   #2
frederik
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 64405
Join Date: Jun 2004
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: St-Georges, QC, Canada
Vehicle:
2003 WRX Sedan
WRB - Cobb Stg 2

Default

Ok thought I should add the reference to what I read about the Philips:

See post 68 where they explain how they designed the Philips 9011. Not sure where the original information came from:

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...hnology)/page7
frederik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

there IS a new version of the bulb that is an updated one


the ALL rock.....BIG TIME


google and read...it is all out there
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:04 AM   #4
05-rsx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 101188
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Vehicle:
MY07 WRX Wagon
Black

Default

Coincidentally, I've been doing some reading on these/HIR over the last week or so aswell, as I invisage insalling them in my MY07 WRX and my brother MY05 RS for highbeam applications (we're both oing a lot more hwy driving as of this year)

From what I can tell;
  • Halogen < HIR < HID.
  • Both 9011 and 9012 use reflective/HIR technology, or else they couldn't be classified as HIR bulbs
  • GE originally had the design and 'outsourced' (for want of a better word) the design to Toshiba and Philips to adapt to the automotive sector.
  • 9011 is the HB3/9005 'replacement'. It is for high beam applications
  • 9012 is the HB4/9006 'replacement'. It is for low beam applications
  • Toshiba bulbs appear to be more 'pear' shaped, whereas Philips bulbs seem to be a more 'normal'/cylindrical shape

The newer/updated version is of the 9012/'HB4'-style bulb. AFAIK there have been no changes to the 9011/'HB3'-style as yet.

More information here (+you can order them):
http://hirheadlights.com/

Last edited by 05-rsx; 02-28-2011 at 12:21 AM. Reason: correction of information
05-rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:54 AM   #5
frederik
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 64405
Join Date: Jun 2004
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: St-Georges, QC, Canada
Vehicle:
2003 WRX Sedan
WRB - Cobb Stg 2

Default

Thanks. hirheadlights.com was part of my reading and I googled for a few hours on the subject so I do have some background.

It appears that there is no such thing as a classification for HIR bulbs, HIR1 and HIR2 are simply bulb identification numbers (just like H7, or H4 etc). A given bulb model (say 9011, or HIR1) must fit the rated specs of this model: amount of light they emit, the wattage and the physical shape (the original GE bulb that started it all happened to be using HIR technology so for some reason they included it in the bulb number). How the manufacturers achieve those specs (HIR technology or not, etc) is up to them.

This is what I read on the link above, Philips put together a bulb that was achieving the same output, but without using the HIR technology. And it looks like this information came back on many different sites. Philips did that so that they could provide a replacement bulb for cars that were equiped with the GE bulbs that broke easily.

Uncle Scotty, I do know they all rock big time, but I would rather have a bulb that uses the HIR technology instead of overdriven/shorter life filament (this is what some of my google research resulted).

So in short I would be very happy if you could tell me where you got information on the new updated 9011 (not 9012, 9011 really) and what differs, because I would like to know how to tell if I am getting the newer ones or the older design. Maybe you were referring to candlepowerforums site ? I have found a detailed thread about the newer 9012 there, but the site crashed yesterday so it was not part of my latest searches.

Just so you know I ordered Philips 9011 and Toshiba from hirheadlights.com.

Thanks

Fred
frederik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:59 PM   #6
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frederik View Post
Thanks. hirheadlights.com was part of my reading and I googled for a few hours on the subject so I do have some background.

It appears that there is no such thing as a classification for HIR bulbs, HIR1 and HIR2 are simply bulb identification numbers (just like H7, or H4 etc). A given bulb model (say 9011, or HIR1) must fit the rated specs of this model: amount of light they emit, the wattage and the physical shape (the original GE bulb that started it all happened to be using HIR technology so for some reason they included it in the bulb number). How the manufacturers achieve those specs (HIR technology or not, etc) is up to them.

This is what I read on the link above, Philips put together a bulb that was achieving the same output, but without using the HIR technology. And it looks like this information came back on many different sites. Philips did that so that they could provide a replacement bulb for cars that were equiped with the GE bulbs that broke easily.

Uncle Scotty, I do know they all rock big time, but I would rather have a bulb that uses the HIR technology instead of overdriven/shorter life filament (this is what some of my google research resulted).

So in short I would be very happy if you could tell me where you got information on the new updated 9011 (not 9012, 9011 really) and what differs, because I would like to know how to tell if I am getting the newer ones or the older design. Maybe you were referring to candlepowerforums site ? I have found a detailed thread about the newer 9012 there, but the site crashed yesterday so it was not part of my latest searches.

Just so you know I ordered Philips 9011 and Toshiba from hirheadlights.com.

Thanks

Fred
I guess you didnt read much of the material on these then.

your fears are groundless unless you buy counterfeit bulbs

I have used these and the h7 65w Osram 'rallye' bulbs in my 06 wrx since just after I bought it......and I have had to replace the h7's once....but that's it

these are the best thing you could buy and plug in and go with....no doubt

there is already a LONG thread, HERE, on all of this if you cared to actually search it
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:54 PM   #7
frederik
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 64405
Join Date: Jun 2004
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: St-Georges, QC, Canada
Vehicle:
2003 WRX Sedan
WRB - Cobb Stg 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
I guess you didnt read much of the material on these then.

your fears are groundless unless you buy counterfeit bulbs

I have used these and the h7 65w Osram 'rallye' bulbs in my 06 wrx since just after I bought it......and I have had to replace the h7's once....but that's it

these are the best thing you could buy and plug in and go with....no doubt

there is already a LONG thread, HERE, on all of this if you cared to actually search it
Thanks for your input about the life of your Philips 9011, that's good to know. However I don't care what you guess about my reading. Nobody ever search enough for your taste anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I agree the Philips 9011 is a very good bulb, and along with the Toshiba the best option for 9005 replacement. I am not afraid of being scammed, I just want to know.

You said there IS a newer version of the 9011 so I thought you could be specific about where you found this information. To me the more I look at it, it seems like there is only one version. Even Max at hirheadlights is not positive on this.

The lumen range of a 9011 is 2300 +/- 15% so if Philips put together a standard overdriven halogen bulb to fulfill this, it might be giving closer to the lower end of the specification (1955) in order to keep reasonnable life and still meet the regulation. On the other hand the Toshiba might give more of a middle of the range value given it actually uses the technology the 9011 regulation was based on ?

Anyway it is all speculation as I have no clue about the actual output of each bulb and we could talk all day about that for nothing. So in the end I guess I'll just try them both and keep whichever I prefer. Meanwhile if you happen to find the information on different versions of the 9011 let me know.

Fred
frederik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:12 PM   #8
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

I just got these new Phillips 9011 hir's

they REALLY ROCK.....holy **** do they throw some light downrange

this is just the second set of these that has been in my 06 since not long after I got the car....the first set had one blow out several months ago and I put the stockers back in since then
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #9
FleaDog
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 96267
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: West Chester
Vehicle:
'06 20G-XT'd STI
CGM & NT03+M

Default

Scotty any updates on how your bulbs are doing?
FleaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:44 PM   #10
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

still on the same ones.....they rock
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:26 PM   #11
Angrypoonani
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 318618
Join Date: Apr 2012
Default

Uncle Scotty, where did you purchase your Phillips 9011 hir bulbs?
Angrypoonani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:06 AM   #12
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrypoonani View Post
Uncle Scotty, where did you purchase your Phillips 9011 hir bulbs?
dont remember....sorry....but it was reallylights.com or daniel stern or one of the main online vendors
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS : vis bugeye cwest version 2 grill vien Exterior/Styling 15 03-09-2011 10:34 AM
HIR1 or "plus 50" h1's in Western WA? Sheehan North West Impreza Club Forum -- NWIC 4 01-07-2011 09:03 PM
HIR 9011 Headlights jesus_ryan Exterior/Styling 0 12-09-2007 04:04 PM
9005 vs 9011 (HIR) pics Quack Electrical & Lighting 20 02-23-2005 04:20 PM
If you own a 04+ you really need to try the 9011 HIR bulbs BIGSKYWRX Interior & Exterior Modification 11 10-11-2004 09:21 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.