Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday December 18, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
20Rex05
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 255600
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
Oh5 Rex
PSM

Have a Nice Day? 04-05 front end to 02-03?

So basically totalled the front end of my 05 wrx :'[ and wasn't sure if its possible to swap front ends or if anyone on here has done it.. not sure exactly how bad it is at this moment but still want to know if its possible..
Thanks,
Corey
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
20Rex05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:51 PM   #2
euyeen
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 272603
Default It's definitely possible

I just completed the opposite conversion on my 03 WRX.

I went 02/03 --> 04/05

The forum has some information on front end conversions. Most are helpful but none that I've seen gives a complete step-by-step.

I did mine with the info I found around, and made up my own way combining different ideas with my own once I got it started.

your options are:

1. Buy a 02/03 complete front end from someone.
2. Buy parts individually from random sellers and the dealership and adapt what you have to make it work.

option 1 will most likely be cheaper.

If you're not set on making it a bugeye... there was a guy on this forum selling his entire 04/05 front end and only asking $800. ...which is an incredible bargain.

If you're sure about the bugeye, then post up pics of your front end, I might be able to help walk you through some of it. I'm sure there are at least a few other guys on this forum who could help too.

Without seeing what the damage is, I can't say for sure what you'll need. If you can't find anyone selling a bugeye front end and have to piece it together, the parts you definitely need to be on the look out for are:

1. Radiator core support
2. Front bumper reinforce bar
3. Fenders
4. Bumper cover
5. Headlights
6. Hood
7. Grill

Try to salvage as much as you can of what you already have.

Essentially, what you're doing is trying to accomodate a different shape of headlight. This requires different parts for everything that comes into contact with it.

The hood and fenders will bolt straight on. the only thing that's different on those is the cut of them near the headlights.

The radiator core support and bumper reinforcement are needed to allow everything else to bolt on that otherwise wouldn't really be compatible with your 05 front end.

Here are some pics from the guide I'm putting together for the forum. The parts highlighted in green are the Radiator core support. The bumper reinforce bar is in yellow.

[IMG]http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i111/euyeen/BugeyeConversion2.jpg
[/IMG]

hope that helps you get started!

Last edited by euyeen; 03-01-2011 at 04:15 PM.
euyeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #3
euyeen
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 272603

I've sold most of my parts. off the top of my head, what I have left are:

03 Grille w/emblem
Pillars next to the grille (white)
Hood latch
Hood scoop
Hood duct
Hood kickstand (not sure what it's called but, the stand for the hood)

PM me if you're interested in any of them.
euyeen is offline   Reply With Quote