Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 16, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Tire & Wheel

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 07:07 AM   #1876
Turtlefart
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 320054
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Tacoma, Wa
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkursedX View Post
Oh whoops, +45et.
Looks really good! What's the tire size and do you have anymore pics?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Turtlefart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #1877
Scargod
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 260314
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: S central CT, New England
Vehicle:
2008 STI hatch
silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkursedX View Post
Oh whoops, +45et.
Whatever, nice looking combo. Looks a little like 245/40ZR17's... The Falkens remind me of the Michelin Pilot Super Sports I use as rain tires when needed at the track.
Scargod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #1878
AkursedX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340511
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Royal Oak MI
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
Lightning Red

Default

Tires are 255/40/17. The FK453 wasn't my 1st choice, but discounttiredirect had a $50 off a set sale plus the tires also had an $80 rebate so I couldn't pass them up for the price.

I have to edit that post. I can't believe I forgot to put the tire size in it! Geez....that's what happens when you are trying to type a post with a 3-year old and 7-month old all over you.
AkursedX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #1879
AkursedX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340511
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Royal Oak MI
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
Lightning Red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargod View Post
The Falkens remind me of the Michelin Pilot Super Sports I use as rain tires when needed at the track.
I bought these because they look like the Continental Extremecontact DW's that I have on my RX8. I'm hoping the Falkens perform as well in the wet as the Conti's. I don't plan on tracking my WRX much so I try to find tires that will perform well in the wet at the sacrifice of some dry-grip.
AkursedX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:07 AM   #1880
Charlie626
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 339554
Join Date: Dec 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: 626
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza WRX
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Really helpful thread. Definately helped me decide on what size tire to get for my new wheels.
Charlie626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:11 PM   #1881
dylanisco0l
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 347674
Join Date: Feb 2013
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: charlotte,nc
Vehicle:
2013 wrx
blue pearl

Default

was thinking about getting 245/40ZR17 michelin pilot super sports, anyone have this setup? any rubbing or fitment issues? also what hoods are those on the OP car would love to pick one up.
dylanisco0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:36 PM   #1882
deanwrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 188997
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Jersey
Vehicle:
02 Booger Eye
WRB

Default

Just an FYI, that tire is a narrow 245. The PSS may run normal or "wide" in other sizes (according to some people) but the 245/40/17 is kinda below average in width. It will look good on a 17x8 wheel, but looks stretched on a 17x9. However, this will make it easier to fit than something like a Direzza Zii in the same size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanisco0l View Post
was thinking about getting 245/40ZR17 michelin pilot super sports, anyone have this setup? any rubbing or fitment issues? also what hoods are those on the OP car would love to pick one up.
deanwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:08 AM   #1883
dylanisco0l
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 347674
Join Date: Feb 2013
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: charlotte,nc
Vehicle:
2013 wrx
blue pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwrx View Post
Just an FYI, that tire is a narrow 245. The PSS may run normal or "wide" in other sizes (according to some people) but the 245/40/17 is kinda below average in width. It will look good on a 17x8 wheel, but looks stretched on a 17x9. However, this will make it easier to fit than something like a Direzza Zii in the same size.
well the O.E. tires are 235 so wouldn't it be wider than the O.E. my upgrades are cobb DP, upipe, EWG, 44m WG tial, n1 exhaust, intake+airbox, don't plan on doing much more for awhile so 245 seems to be a proper size for the power for now at least, from what i have read. unless any other suggestion for size in the PSS tires.
dylanisco0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:23 AM   #1884
Dova
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315989
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Bay Area , CA
Vehicle:
2012 WRX hatchback
Satin White Pearl

Default

After a whole lot of reading this thread , I've decided to go with Rota G-Force 18x8.5 48et in gold for my 2012 WRX hatch. I'm not into the whole hellaflush/poke scene. Debating if I should go with 245/40/18 ( 1.52% faster than stock tire ) or a bit wider with 255/35/18 ( 1.20% slower than stock tire ) , suspension wise it'll be stock for now.
Dova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:54 AM   #1885
ryann.mendoza
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 208859
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: SFV, CA
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
SWP

Default

[quote=AkursedX;39627615]Thank you for the help that you guys have provided me in this thread. Here is the result. 17x9 et45 Enkei RPF1's with Falken FK453 Tires in 255/40/17. Stock ride height. No rubbing.

(pardon the dirtiness of the car)

more pictures please. This exactly the setup I wanted. Good to hear that there's no rubbing with this setup. Thanks!
ryann.mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #1886
xxllplayallxx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 267068
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Limited
DGM

Default

whats up guys. I have 18x8.5 et45 with a 255/40 tire on stock suspension and rubbing in the back like crazy. I will be buying new tires Friday, i am going to go with a 225/45 18. I will post a picture when i mount them.
xxllplayallxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:47 PM   #1887
NWsoobie
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 289516
Join Date: Jul 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: PNW
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxllplayallxx View Post
whats up guys. I have 18x8.5 et45 with a 255/40 tire on stock suspension and rubbing in the back like crazy. I will be buying new tires Friday, i am going to go with a 225/45 18. I will post a picture when i mount them.
Why taller? Just go with a 235/40. You will be fine.
NWsoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:20 PM   #1888
Dova
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315989
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Bay Area , CA
Vehicle:
2012 WRX hatchback
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxllplayallxx View Post
whats up guys. I have 18x8.5 et45 with a 255/40 tire on stock suspension and rubbing in the back like crazy. I will be buying new tires Friday, i am going to go with a 225/45 18. I will post a picture when i mount them.
With that fitment , go with 245/40/18 Pretty much STi fitment. 255/40 is too tall for that size , should've went with 255/35 instead.
Dova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:07 AM   #1889
xxllplayallxx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 267068
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Limited
DGM

Default

I do not plan on lowering the car, so I want to fill in the wheel gap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWsoobie View Post
Why taller? Just go with a 235/40. You will be fine.
xxllplayallxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #1890
Mach V Dan
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 12029
Join Date: Nov 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Sterling, VA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxllplayallxx View Post
I do not plan on lowering the car, so I want to fill in the wheel gap.
I understand what you're trying to do, but the diameter of the STi stock tire (245/40R18, 25.7" diameter) is already pretty big. If you go any taller, you are likely to rub the fender liners if nothing else. The 225/45R18 is 0.3" taller still at 26.0" diameter. It'll probably rub. But keep us posted.

--Dan
Mach V
FastWRX.com
Mach V Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:11 AM   #1891
xxllplayallxx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 267068
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Limited
DGM

Default

I do have the 255/40 18 on right now and no fender liners are rubbing in the front. I only have an issue with the drivers rear fender which very odd. I have had a mechanic to check the suspension and nothing is out of spec.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach V Dan View Post
I understand what you're trying to do, but the diameter of the STi stock tire (245/40R18, 25.7" diameter) is already pretty big. If you go any taller, you are likely to rub the fender liners if nothing else. The 225/45R18 is 0.3" taller still at 26.0" diameter. It'll probably rub. But keep us posted.

--Dan
Mach V
FastWRX.com
xxllplayallxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #1892
Roycey
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 354321
Join Date: Apr 2013
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Vehicle:
2010 MY 11 WRX
Satin Pearl White

Default Wheel fitting problem

Hi Dan, thanks for your great thread. I need some advice please because I could not see any comments with the problem I have. I purchased some Rota Grids 18 x 9.5 +38 for my MY11 WRX Hatch with std suspension. I did a trial fit before buying tires. I found that the rims protude past the guards. Front 6 & 9mm, Rear 4 & 7mm. I fiddled with the front camber adj by moving the bolt clockwise by 2-3 notches which just about tucked the rim in under the guard, but I am unsure what the actual neg camber setting would be & if it would work. I had a fiddle with the rear with no improvement because this is really only for toe in/out adj. Do you have any suggestions please? If I run with this set-up then I would possibly be Police bait & have insurance coverage issue's. Regards
Roycey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:48 PM   #1893
NWsoobie
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 289516
Join Date: Jul 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: PNW
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roycey View Post
If I run with this set-up then I would possibly be Police bait & have insurance coverage issue's. Regards
Why would either of these happen? A cop isn't going to pull you over because of your wheels, nor will you have any insurance coverage issues. And what are your tire specs? That makes all the difference.
NWsoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:32 PM   #1894
Roycey
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 354321
Join Date: Apr 2013
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Vehicle:
2010 MY 11 WRX
Satin Pearl White

Default

If the rims protrude past the guards that is un-roadworthy in Australia & the cops are on the look out for it in our Granny state!
For Vic Roads roadworthy it states that when in a straight ahead position, the guard or bodywork must cover the section width of the tyre. If its not roadworthy I may void my insurance cover should I have to claim.
So you suggest it may not be noticeable with the right tire selection?
I am still considering tire options in size 255/35R18 or 265/35R18 in a Dunlop Direzza Z2 or Bridgestone Adrenalin RE002 or Toyo T1R? I want a performance road tire, but the car is a daily drive for a sales rep, approx 20k miles per year, so I need a tire with reasonable wear rating-180 should be ok. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Roycey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:52 AM   #1895
ryann.mendoza
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 208859
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: SFV, CA
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
SWP

Default

Error. Edit.

Last edited by ryann.mendoza; 04-26-2013 at 03:59 AM.
ryann.mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #1896
Xterrapin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 352282
Join Date: Apr 2013
Default

I'm really interested in preserving steering feel and handling on a 13 WRX, and I'm looking at some 18x8.75 +33 wheels. I'm thinking 255/35/18 tires would be my best option.
I know that the +33 offset is cutting it close, but would this set up work with out rolling the rears ?
I will be lowered about an inch on Feal coilovers
Xterrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #1897
punx0506
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 230967
Join Date: Nov 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Toledo, OH
Vehicle:
'05 AW STI

Default

I have an 05 sti and currently am running a set if 18x8 +40 wheel with 235/40 tires. Right now the car sits a little higher than I would like it too and want to drop it down an inch. I am worried about the inner fender rubbing the tire when I do this but not sure if it is ok to completely take them out or not since the harness runs through drivers side. I plan on rolling my fenders but didnt know what to do with the inners. Has anyone done this that can give me some advice?
punx0506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:27 AM   #1898
Ruzty1311
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 311911
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Apple Valley, Ca (High Desert)
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Limited Sdn
SWP (TP Stg 2)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roycey View Post
Hi Dan, thanks for your great thread. I need some advice please because I could not see any comments with the problem I have. I purchased some Rota Grids 18 x 9.5 +38 for my MY11 WRX Hatch with std suspension. I did a trial fit before buying tires. I found that the rims protude past the guards. Front 6 & 9mm, Rear 4 & 7mm. I fiddled with the front camber adj by moving the bolt clockwise by 2-3 notches which just about tucked the rim in under the guard, but I am unsure what the actual neg camber setting would be & if it would work. I had a fiddle with the rear with no improvement because this is really only for toe in/out adj. Do you have any suggestions please? If I run with this set-up then I would possibly be Police bait & have insurance coverage issue's. Regards
So by trial fit I'm assuming you mocked up the rims while the car was up in the air yes? So the protruding you are seeing might not be what you are actually gonna get once you put tires on and set the car back down...it should tuck somewhat with the suspension fully loaded and not be protruding as much as you are seeing with just the rims up in the air IF this is even the case haha
Ruzty1311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:52 AM   #1899
Roycey
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 354321
Join Date: Apr 2013
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Vehicle:
2010 MY 11 WRX
Satin Pearl White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzty1311 View Post
So by trial fit I'm assuming you mocked up the rims while the car was up in the air yes? So the protruding you are seeing might not be what you are actually gonna get once you put tires on and set the car back down...it should tuck somewhat with the suspension fully loaded and not be protruding as much as you are seeing with just the rims up in the air IF this is even the case haha
Sorry, I didn't explain that I had loaded up the suspension by dropping the car on a stand under the lower control arm & checked each wheels fit. Therefore, the rim protrusion is how it would be fitted to a tyre. Do you have any suggestions because some of pics I have seen with this size rim doesn't show the problem I am experiencing?
Roycey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #1900
Roycey
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 354321
Join Date: Apr 2013
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Vehicle:
2010 MY 11 WRX
Satin Pearl White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by punx0506 View Post
I have an 05 sti and currently am running a set if 18x8 +40 wheel with 235/40 tires. Right now the car sits a little higher than I would like it too and want to drop it down an inch. I am worried about the inner fender rubbing the tire when I do this but not sure if it is ok to completely take them out or not since the harness runs through drivers side. I plan on rolling my fenders but didnt know what to do with the inners. Has anyone done this that can give me some advice?
This thread is for MY11+ !!??
Roycey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Needed: Stock Impreza/WRX/Legacy wheels and tires to fit '01 Legacy L acetmi Private 'Wanted' Classifieds 0 06-14-2006 12:43 PM
need somewhere to get wheels and tires asap bubba03wrx Southern California Impreza Club Forum -- SCIC 22 04-02-2004 09:14 PM
Wider wheels and tires in the rear SilveRexy03 Tire & Wheel 14 11-04-2003 04:49 PM
WEre is a good place to buy wheels and tires MilfordSubaru Mid West Subaru Owners Club Forum -- MWSOC 4 05-25-2002 01:14 PM
Where to buy wheels and tires? wilddave1 Brakes, Steering & Suspension 4 03-21-2002 02:20 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.