Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday September 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2002, 05:14 PM   #1
Midwayman
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 1997
Join Date: Jul 2000
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Vehicle:
2006 Acura TL 6spd
STMGM6 alumni

Question MRT headers and rust

Anyone that lives in the rust belt have the MRT headers over a winter? How well to they hold up? Im afraid if I buy em, they'll be gone in a year with all the salt around here.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Midwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 06:42 PM   #2
Julian
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 1182
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Ventura, CA
Vehicle:
MY00 RS
BRP

Default

Lots of horror theories, so far no horror stories. No one has said or posted a pic of the MRT system infected with cancer. One of the first MRT system owners lives in CT and ran his system, uncoated, for over two winters with no problems.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 12:03 AM   #3
obyone
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 16523
Join Date: Mar 2002
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Inbetween Hesco's and T-walls
Vehicle:
JDM Maxxpro

Default

I'm planning on buying the MRT header back system (minus the can) and I live in Chicago. It snows and the city salts the roads like crazy. When I get the exhaust, I plan on having them ceramic coated or, if I'm short on cash, just checking up on them to see if there are any paint chips in the stock coating.
obyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 08:42 AM   #4
Robmat
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 2173
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Daytona Beach FL USA/ Tampa FL USA
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 RS
BRP

Default

Do you guys know where I can get the MRT setup?

Thanks-

Robmat
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 09:19 AM   #5
m750
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 2278
Join Date: Sep 2000
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Pepperell MA
Vehicle:
8Sti | 07 allez
White | Comp

Default

I've got rust on my muffler tips that is all... though I got the headers heat coated.
I'd recomend www.subaruwrxparts.com
they are basically www.exetersubaru.com
and one of the guys in the parts department not only owns a 98 2.5 RS - T, but is member # 6, so there is quite a bit of knowledge there. Check it out, ask for bill Harvey, you won't go wrong. They don't list the MRT parts on their site, but the do carry them.
AO
m750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 11:20 AM   #6
kickin_81
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 16679
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: MN
Vehicle:
2004 Forester XT

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by m750
I've got rust on my muffler tips that is all... though I got the headers heat coated.
I'd recomend www.subaruwrxparts.com
they are basically www.exetersubaru.com
and one of the guys in the parts department not only owns a 98 2.5 RS - T, but is member # 6, so there is quite a bit of knowledge there. Check it out, ask for bill Harvey, you won't go wrong. They don't list the MRT parts on their site, but the do carry them.
AO
Just so you'd know, I ordered my MRT from them recently. The service was above average, but the shipment method sucked ass big. Airborne ground scraped the header and pipes, muffler dented, and the box it came in was ripped up. They even had the big 86lb box delivered to the wrong place, so I had to wait for 4 additional days for my box to get to me damaged. I wouldn't know if UPS or Fedex would be any different, but I was the first for Exeter Subaru to get f*cked in shipping. I didn't want anymore problems, so I just dealt with it, covered up a 2-3mm hole below header flange of one of the cylinders with JB weld, and put it on. Just make sure to check the whole system for holes or scratches in the paint.
kickin_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 11:25 AM   #7
Robmat
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 2173
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Daytona Beach FL USA/ Tampa FL USA
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 RS
BRP

Default

What did the system run, if you don't mind me asking?

Robmat
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 01:23 PM   #8
Reciprocity
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 1165
Join Date: Mar 2000
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Alameda, CA
Vehicle:
2012 dcrawford died
for your sins

Default

I got mine from Langston Subaru and have nothing but huge praise for them. It came fast, in great shape and was cheap... But they told me they are bumping up the price.

My suggestion if you want the best deal...
-Go to the MRT Aus website and find the list of US vendors
-Prepare a form letter e-mail which includes you zip code
-e-mail each vendor SEPERATELY to get a price quote
-choose the cheapest! (taking into account which replied faster, which has them in stock, and which came across as the most pleasant)

That's what I did...and mine cost me $440 SHIPPED (without the exhaust can).

NC
Reciprocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 01:33 PM   #9
m750
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 2278
Join Date: Sep 2000
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Pepperell MA
Vehicle:
8Sti | 07 allez
White | Comp

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by kickin_81


Just so you'd know, I ordered my MRT from them recently. The service was above average, but the shipment method sucked ass big. Airborne ground scraped the header and pipes, muffler dented, and the box it came in was ripped up. They even had the big 86lb box delivered to the wrong place, so I had to wait for 4 additional days for my box to get to me damaged. I wouldn't know if UPS or Fedex would be any different, but I was the first for Exeter Subaru to get f*cked in shipping. I didn't want anymore problems, so I just dealt with it, covered up a 2-3mm hole below header flange of one of the cylinders with JB weld, and put it on. Just make sure to check the whole system for holes or scratches in the paint.
that's dissappointing... I certainly would have taken it up w/ exeter & the shipping company. They should have had insurance on the shipment, so you wouldn't been screwing exeter. Sounds like a combo problem, both the shipper, and the packaging were at fault. :-/
AO
m750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 03:58 PM   #10
Julian
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 1182
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Ventura, CA
Vehicle:
MY00 RS
BRP

Default

JB Weld won't hold up to the temperatures of the header, especially under the cylinder. You will have to get that welded. Or you will have a huge exhaust leak when the JBWeld is fried off.

Also, obyone, the high temps of the engine will burn off the paint on the header section in short order. They just use "high-temp" paint, which is for engine blocks and the like which see ~400degrees or so...not the temps experiened at the header flange.

JS
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 04:04 PM   #11
MY99 2.5GT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 5030
Join Date: Mar 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Martinsburg, WV, USA
Vehicle:
1999 Legacy 2.5GT
05 Legacy GT 06 Armada

Default

Packaging normally sucks with these setups. My muffler had three fist sized dents in it and the midpipe was a little scraped also. Both of them went back to Langston at their expense and I got a custom Cat Back made and I couldn't be happier.

Brad
MY99 2.5GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 07:14 PM   #12
obyone
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 16523
Join Date: Mar 2002
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Inbetween Hesco's and T-walls
Vehicle:
JDM Maxxpro

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Julian
JB Weld won't hold up to the temperatures of the header, especially under the cylinder. You will have to get that welded. Or you will have a huge exhaust leak when the JBWeld is fried off.

Also, obyone, the high temps of the engine will burn off the paint on the header section in short order. They just use "high-temp" paint, which is for engine blocks and the like which see ~400degrees or so...not the temps experiened at the header flange.

JS
There are paints that withstand up to 1200 degrees F. If what you say is true, then I may have to give the header a few coats of that stuff before it's installed.
obyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 11:10 AM   #13
kickin_81
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 16679
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: MN
Vehicle:
2004 Forester XT

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Robmat
What did the system run, if you don't mind me asking?

Robmat
I got my full set for $530 + shipping ($80~ish)

Julian, I believe you. The JB Weld never stated they were good with heat. Before I jet hot coat my header, I'll get that welded.

I don't think anyone will handle a 75+lb box nicely. I would've done something, but I thought it'd be a waste of my time. I still love the power.
kickin_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 11:52 AM   #14
Hyudra
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 7559
Join Date: Jun 2001
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza 2.5RS
Midnight Black Pearl

Default

What exactly comes with the header back system? I already have the stromung exhaust, so what are the other parts?
Hyudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 03:54 PM   #15
Julian
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 1182
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Ventura, CA
Vehicle:
MY00 RS
BRP

Default

It is a complete system, head to tip. Search for MRT and you'll find all the information, dyno sheets, and photos of the bits that you can stand.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 09:58 PM   #16
ychan
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 9418
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: nyc
Vehicle:
2002 2.5rs
aspen white

Default

so for that butt-rockin' awesome price you get headers?high-flow cat? and all the way back to the muffler tip? that sounds like an incredible price even if it's not cyramic coated. or is that the price from the cat-back?
-y
ychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 07:04 PM   #17
Julian
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 1182
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Ventura, CA
Vehicle:
MY00 RS
BRP

Default

"It is a complete system, head to tip. Search for MRT and you'll find all the information, dyno sheets, and photos of the bits that you can stand."

What I said.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 07:35 PM   #18
Reciprocity
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 1165
Join Date: Mar 2000
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Alameda, CA
Vehicle:
2012 dcrawford died
for your sins

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Julian
"It is a complete system, head to tip. Search for MRT and you'll find all the information, dyno sheets, and photos of the bits that you can stand."

What I said.


NC
Reciprocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 11:34 PM   #19
ychan
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 9418
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: nyc
Vehicle:
2002 2.5rs
aspen white

Default

sorry.
ychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 11:02 AM   #20
MY99 2.5GT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 5030
Join Date: Mar 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Martinsburg, WV, USA
Vehicle:
1999 Legacy 2.5GT
05 Legacy GT 06 Armada

Default

If you already have the Stromung cat-back just order the MRT header (which includes cat) and mid-pipe section. Then sell your Stromung midpipe and use the stromung muffler with the MRT setup. You'll like the results. By not getting the MRT muffler you'll save about $145 off of the full package price.

For any exhaust (stainless or mild) for longevity purposes I would highly suffest Hi Temp Painting. Go to Home Depot and buy a Wire Wheel that will fit into a drill. Go over the full metal surface of the exhaust to roughen up its smooth surface. Get a couple cans of high temp paint in a color of your choise. Then paint 1 even coat and let it dry. Repeat this at least 3 times. I say three coats because it easy for rocks and other debree to bounce up and chip the paint. 3 or more solid coats should be enough to withstand plenty of winter salt and cinder or gravel road driving. Inspect the exhaust once a year to make sure nothing has worn off or dented.

Brad
MY99 2.5GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 11:47 PM   #21
obyone
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 16523
Join Date: Mar 2002
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Inbetween Hesco's and T-walls
Vehicle:
JDM Maxxpro

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by MY99 2.5GT
If you already have the Stromung cat-back just order the MRT header (which includes cat) and mid-pipe section. Then sell your Stromung midpipe and use the stromung muffler with the MRT setup. You'll like the results. By not getting the MRT muffler you'll save about $145 off of the full package price.

For any exhaust (stainless or mild) for longevity purposes I would highly suffest Hi Temp Painting. Go to Home Depot and buy a Wire Wheel that will fit into a drill. Go over the full metal surface of the exhaust to roughen up its smooth surface. Get a couple cans of high temp paint in a color of your choise. Then paint 1 even coat and let it dry. Repeat this at least 3 times. I say three coats because it easy for rocks and other debree to bounce up and chip the paint. 3 or more solid coats should be enough to withstand plenty of winter salt and cinder or gravel road driving. Inspect the exhaust once a year to make sure nothing has worn off or dented.

Brad
High temp ENAMEL paint is preferred. It'll resist chipping better than the other stuff.
obyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: MRT Headers and Brullen 2.5inch Catback Keith Cournoyer New England Impreza Club Forum -- NESIC 23 02-09-2005 08:42 AM
Mrt Headers and Stock Exhaust ejicon Normally Aspirated Powertrain 17 01-17-2004 12:51 AM
MRT header and high flow cat JewPac42 Normally Aspirated Powertrain 5 07-08-2003 09:02 AM
MRT Header and Flatiron joefocker20 Rocky Mountains Impreza Club Forum -- RMIC 12 04-18-2003 12:09 AM
To people with Borla, TWE, or MRT headers and Primitive front skidplate Osgood30 Normally Aspirated Powertrain 2 01-29-2003 10:35 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.