Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday December 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 10:33 AM   #1
snookey318
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 278129
Join Date: Mar 2011
Vehicle:
2011 WRX

Default 2011 WRX shifting question

Hi Everyone

I picked up my new dark metallic grey WRX last week and i am really impressed with the handling and solid feel of the car. I have already hit the magical 1000 mile mark and have a newbie question about shifting. Is it detrimental to the cars "glass tranny" if i quickly release the clutch after shifting to second gear and then give it full throttle? If i do this you can feel the car jerk - Basically i am trying to determine if dropping the clutch quickly (not 1st gear and not shifting fast) and rowing thru the gears can hurt this transmission? Obviously it only does this when i am seeing what the car can do but i wanted to be cautious after reading a few transmission threads.

I drove this way in my 2006 Ralliart with no issues but the fast engagement of the clutch while moving in the WRX seems a little more harsh.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
snookey318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:38 AM   #2
chapstien
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 68284
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: A World of Illusion
Default

Yeah that's not good for any car, and there's no real benefit.
chapstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:19 AM   #3
Subsoniq
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 274969
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Houston
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza WRX
WR Blue Mica

Default

I dont get it? You cant shift hard in these cars? How do you autox if you have to baby the clutch? I havent autox yet, but in my challenger i've dragged, and i pop the clutch out shifting every gear?
Subsoniq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:24 AM   #4
snookey318
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 278129
Join Date: Mar 2011
Vehicle:
2011 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapstien View Post
Yeah that's not good for any car, and there's no real benefit.
If i didn't release the clutch quickly and then get on the gas i would have to slip the clutch if i wanted fast times - that seems like unnecessary wear no? Remember i am talking about shifting into second gear and higher. I understand releasing clutch quickly in first is a bad thing with any car, especially AWD

Again sorry for the newb comments. I am trying to determine the best way to drive this car fast without hurting any of the components.
snookey318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
Ferno
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 250218
Join Date: Jun 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Akron, Ohio
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
World Rally Blue

Default

The car doesn't have a 'glass tranny', if you're shifting at high RPM then yes it will jerk a bit but that's how it is with any car I've ever driven. Obviously this isn't "good" for the transmission, but who in the hell babies their car 100% of the time? Not me.
Ferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
chapstien
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 68284
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: A World of Illusion
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snookey318 View Post
If i didn't release the clutch quickly and then get on the gas i would have to slip the clutch if i wanted fast times - that seems like unnecessary wear no? Remember i am talking about shifting into second gear and higher. I understand releasing clutch quickly in first is a bad thing with any car, especially AWD

Again sorry for the newb comments. I am trying to determine the best way to drive this car fast without hurting any of the components.
If you're making the car jerk, you're not being smooth, and could induce over steer. There is a fine line between jumping it and engaging it smoothly without slipping.
chapstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:36 PM   #7
jonklein611
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 117776
Join Date: Jun 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Moon Twp, PA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Limited 5dr
WR Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapstien View Post
If you're making the car jerk, you're not being smooth, and could induce over steer. There is a fine line between jumping it and engaging it smoothly without slipping.
This. There's about a 1,000 RPM difference between 1st and 2nd at any given speed. Sounds like you're rushing it a bit too much.

As far as auto x goes, you should only have 1 gear change from 1st to 2nd, then 2nd or 3rd for the rest of the track.
jonklein611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:40 PM   #8
muede
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 263856
Join Date: Nov 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
DGM

Default

I have a 2011 WRX sedan, and occasionally do the same thing. I kind of assumed it's bad for the trans, but I paid for extended warranty so why not haha.
muede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:44 PM   #9
snookey318
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 278129
Join Date: Mar 2011
Vehicle:
2011 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapstien View Post
If you're making the car jerk, you're not being smooth, and could induce over steer. There is a fine line between jumping it and engaging it smoothly without slipping.
Just to be clear- I am talking about doing a 5-60 run with full throttle. Seeing what the new car can do. If i am driving normal i can shift very smooth. The question is whether popping the clutch quickly after shifting to 2nd (or 3rd...) is going to wear my gear set or car out sooner.

I wouldnt think so but being cautious

Thank you for everyone's input

Cheers
snookey318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:02 PM   #10
Maudlin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 206124
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Edmond, Oklahoma
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 4-door
Satin Pearl White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snookey318

Just to be clear- I am talking about doing a 5-60 run with full throttle. Seeing what the new car can do. If i am driving normal i can shift very smooth. The question is whether popping the clutch quickly after shifting to 2nd (or 3rd...) is going to wear my gear set or car out sooner.

I wouldnt think so but being cautious

Thank you for everyone's input

Cheers
You can shift fast without the bucking. You may need to release the clutch quicker or slower depending on which way u r doing it incorrectly. But it should feel like a smooth transition no matter what speed or rpm.
Maudlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:04 PM   #11
jonklein611
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 117776
Join Date: Jun 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Moon Twp, PA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Limited 5dr
WR Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snookey318 View Post
Just to be clear- I am talking about doing a 5-60 run with full throttle. Seeing what the new car can do. If i am driving normal i can shift very smooth. The question is whether popping the clutch quickly after shifting to 2nd (or 3rd...) is going to wear my gear set or car out sooner.

I wouldnt think so but being cautious

Thank you for everyone's input

Cheers
Popping the clutch (assuming your foot is completely off the gas) will do no harm, and assuming you're slotting the gear in and dropping the clutch at the perfect point shouldn't do major harm to the car. The jerkyness is telling me you don't quite have it down yet.
jonklein611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:20 PM   #12
snookey318
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 278129
Join Date: Mar 2011
Vehicle:
2011 WRX

Default

I guess the jerkiness i am describing when going all out thru the gears is the clutch being released and making hard contact with the flywheel? Its not so much the car rocking back and forth but more then clutch mass engaging quickly on the fly.

Like I mentioned earlier, my older ralliart could do this all day with no ill effects but the WRX seems to be a little more violent. Worried it might take a gear after awhile.....

Much appreciated
snookey318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:37 PM   #13
Rablo88
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 267513
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Fresno, CA
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza WRX
Spark Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsoniq View Post
I dont get it? You cant shift hard in these cars? How do you autox if you have to baby the clutch? I havent autox yet, but in my challenger i've dragged, and i pop the clutch out shifting every gear?
Challenger is a RWD car lol meant for that, you cant just pop the clutch on an awd and expect it to burn out like a 400hp rwd car.
Rablo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:41 PM   #14
everdying55
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 112651
Join Date: Apr 2006
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Six Star Motorsports
Vehicle:
2011 Corn Fed WRX
DGM Hatch

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonklein611 View Post
Popping the clutch (assuming your foot is completely off the gas) will do no harm, and assuming you're slotting the gear in and dropping the clutch at the perfect point shouldn't do major harm to the car. The jerkyness is telling me you don't quite have it down yet.
This.

It seems to me that you don't quite have the timing down on your new car. I bought my 2011 WRX in Febuary and eventhough I have driven manual before, I had to get used to the car. Every new car has a learning curve, whether it's your 1st manual car of 5th.
everdying55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:53 PM   #15
ScoobTube5210
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 310417
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Hartford, CT
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza WRX
Satin White Pearl 5-door

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snookey318 View Post
Hi Everyone

I picked up my new dark metallic grey WRX last week and i am really impressed with the handling and solid feel of the car. I have already hit the magical 1000 mile mark and have a newbie question about shifting. Is it detrimental to the cars "glass tranny" if i quickly release the clutch after shifting to second gear and then give it full throttle? If i do this you can feel the car jerk - Basically i am trying to determine if dropping the clutch quickly (not 1st gear and not shifting fast) and rowing thru the gears can hurt this transmission? Obviously it only does this when i am seeing what the car can do but i wanted to be cautious after reading a few transmission threads.

I drove this way in my 2006 Ralliart with no issues but the fast engagement of the clutch while moving in the WRX seems a little more harsh.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!
I think i know what you mean. When shifting the rpms seem to "hang" for a split second after putting the clutch in, and then they drop very slowly. I have to wait almost a second to smoothly engage the clutch from 1st to 2nd. Ive read that it is the drive by wire holding the throttle slightly open to allow for any extra fuel (im assuming in the injection ports) to burn for better emissions. it is absolutely not me keeping my foot on the gas when putting the clutch in. anyways its super annoying and makes trying to accelerate quickly but not WOT (shifting between 3500 and 5000) very slow and difficult to pull off smoothly. Ive heard that the Cobb AP eliminates this but i dont know if it is confirmed. I really want to get one to see if it fixes that issue...plus some more power wouldnt hurt
ScoobTube5210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:03 PM   #16
curiousfish
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 89283
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Queens, NYC
Vehicle:
2008 WRX Premium
SSM

Default

^^^ a Cobb tune, or any protune would make the driving experience a bit more like cable throttle.... but when getting off throttle to shift between gears, the older cars still have the RPM's drop faster. (that's my comparison between 2010 STi, 2008 WRX, 2005 WRX, 2002 WRX).

I know thread is old, but if ppl are dropping the clutch between gears, there is a lot of transmission shock, and the drive shaft is probably hitting the rear diff. Please read transmission faq and educate yourself on why Subaru's cant be shifted like Honda's or Toyota's.
curiousfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
shifting issue with 2011 wrx loudninja Newbies & FAQs 27 08-12-2012 12:21 AM
2011 WRX Bluetooth questions cwapface Car Audio, Video & Security 5 12-09-2011 01:02 PM
2011 WRX Intake Question 2011_Black_WRX General Community 94 07-15-2011 11:05 PM
Question about adding 2011 STI spoiler to 2011 WRX l337person Interior & Exterior Modification 13 03-14-2011 02:58 PM
2011 WRX Stereo Questions TheRedWRX Car Audio, Video & Security 4 03-13-2011 06:22 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.