Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday July 13, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Custom Fabrication, Welding & Tools

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
roccer
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 113674
Join Date: Apr 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Fairfax, VA
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Limited
WRB, 358whp/387wtq

Default what do you guys think of Crescent brand tools?

Costco near me has a 195 piece set of Crescent brand tools for $100. i know they aren't craftsmen or snap-on quality. but for light duty/maintenance work on my car, are they worth the investment?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
roccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:46 PM   #2
JesseL
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 169556
Join Date: Jan 2008
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Fairbanks
Vehicle:
07' OPB STi BW S256
01' 2.5rs GM6 w/leather!

Default

My father had a saying (dealership mechanic), if you use the tool everyday, buy a top quality brand, if you use it once a week, buy a cheapie.

I say it depends alot on what your using the tools for... For example I wouldn't assemble a motor with cheap tools.
JesseL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:40 PM   #3
roccer
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 113674
Join Date: Apr 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Fairfax, VA
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Limited
WRB, 358whp/387wtq

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseL
My father had a saying (dealership mechanic), if you use the tool everyday, buy a top quality brand, if you use it once a week, buy a cheapie.

I say it depends alot on what your using the tools for... For example I wouldn't assemble a motor with cheap tools.
Definitely wouldn't build a motor or use them every day. It would be for shade- tree mechanic work.
roccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
Valkyrie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 210971
Join Date: May 2009
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Default

I bring the crescent brand tools with me on all stage rally services. Primarily because my tools often get jacked or end up in other mechanics boxes. however, I have never had any failures. I say go for it.

Dylan
www.ValkyrieMotorsports.com
Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:48 PM   #5
newing33
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 279122
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Newcastle, WA
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 RS
PSM

Default

i so if its for home use go big or go home! why sacrifice quality for quantity... if it is for take around use then i would go with that but for home use quality tools last a lot longer and tend to work a lot better..
newing33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:55 PM   #6
Bad Noodle
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 174442
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NNJ
Vehicle:
2007 SuperWagon
I don't spell well

Default

I, for one, love cheap tools... but I'm getting over them. So far a good amount of tools I bought from autozone, walmart, and harbor freight ended up as scrap metal. Most recently a 17mm that turned into a 18.5mm when I tried to break a bolt with it, tons of cheapo screw drivers, worthless sockets, and a tap set where half are broken.

I say go for it if you're on a budget and it's your only choice, but if you plan on having these around for a while, I'd pay at least $200 for a set
Bad Noodle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:10 PM   #7
kay95
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 45494
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: glen rock, pa
Vehicle:
95 impreza L awd
green

Default

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crescent_(brand)
http://www.cooperhandtools.com/


I would say atleast as good as craftsmen currently. Are they still made here? Even if it says there isnt a warranty like craftsmen if you break one I bet you can get it replaced. I know SK and Allen are like that. Crescent used to be a good tool manufacturer with a good name. Now who knows if they want to keep that good name is beyond me.
kay95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:24 PM   #8
sniper1rfa
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 141040
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Designing things
Vehicle:
07 2.5i wagon
UGM

Default

They're definitely as good as craftsman, but that's not saying anything because craftsman is currently just coasting on their brand. The actual tools are complete and total garbage.
sniper1rfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:58 PM   #9
BeBop86
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 147776
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bellingham, WA
Vehicle:
'02 Impreza WRX
'85 Toyota Corolla

Default

I don't think you could go wrong with them... and besides, it's Costco.

If they break, you can return them!
BeBop86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:48 PM   #10
Wintershredder
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 160089
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Denver
Vehicle:
2004 STi,330xi,328xi
WRB, Black, White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper1rfa View Post
They're definitely as good as craftsman, but that's not saying anything because craftsman is currently just coasting on their brand. The actual tools are complete and total garbage.

Right. Lifetime warranty, meh. I would rather not have to drive back to sears 8 times while I am working on my car. Craftsman sucks balls
Wintershredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #11
Abnormal
Douchebag Moderator
Moderator
 
Member#: 149626
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: zip22182
Vehicle:
2005 CGM FXT
Rocket Box! :D

Default

I've had that same CostCo set for a long time. If I didn't lose more than half of the sockets and wrenches I'd still have them!

Good stuff, would buy again.
Abnormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:15 PM   #12
GGA EJ20
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 126537
Join Date: Sep 2006
Default

I use Crescent on my weekend-mechanic projects and they work great. Costco's return policy is unbeatable so if you break something, its essentially as good as Snap-On in replacing tools. (Replacing, NOT Quality by any means). They are a great set and a friend and I have done 6 turbo Miata swaps with them, plus a few extra tools of course..
GGA EJ20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:45 PM   #13
Dn41387
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 202895
Join Date: Feb 2009
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle
Vehicle:
2005 Sti,2005 Wrx
2000 Rs coupe

Default

My Cresent tool kit has lasted me well over 7 years. I've used it for everything automotive and not a single issue.
Dn41387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:09 AM   #14
tobylazur
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 150289
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: PHX, AZ
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
06 SV650, 1972 Travelall

Default

I'd buy cresent and crasftmen over macco or snapon. I've broken as many craftsman tools as I've broken snap-on tools. (two of each)
tobylazur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:05 AM   #15
benwara
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 273923
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Dakota
Vehicle:
2005 STI
Silver

Default

crescent is owned by cooper tools who make also make dotco and nicholson which are very good brands. haven't you ever hear anyone say pass me a crescent wrench?

if you really want craftsman stuff just wait until it goes on sale. I paid less than 200 for my socket and wrench set that came with a lot of stuff.

and hey i like snap on stuff but they don't make the best of everything. i don't know why some people act like they are made of gold you want something nice go buy a starrett level and pull it out of a nice wooden box with brass hardware.
benwara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:11 PM   #16
bswilmington
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 217563
Join Date: Jul 2009
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Eden NC
Vehicle:
2006 Sti 12.68 @ 108
321WHP 422WTQ dynojet SAE

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobylazur View Post
I'd buy cresent and crasftmen over macco or snapon. I've broken as many craftsman tools as I've broken snap-on tools. (two of each)
You need to buy more snap on then cause they are more durable than craftsman. Dont get me wrong you will find craftsman tools and other cheap brand tools in my box. Snap-ons do break but they generally can take alot more abuse. I once said i would never pay that for tools, now i have alot of snap-on tools. If you dont use them daily, craftsman or other cheaper brands would be all i would buy.

Here is one example. I have a craftsman 12" rachet that has broken atleast 5 times. If you couple it with a 12" 1/2inch extension and 19mm socket (around 15" extra lenth added to the 12" rachet) I do this to break loose rear toe adjusters on subarus. There is other methods, but this one i like so thats how i do it. You ususally get about 3 times before the head breaks on the craftsman. Now the rachet honestly isnt designed for this and I am abusing it. I bought a snap-on exact same length and I do the same thing to it. It has never broken on me and i have done it atleast 100 times with the snap-on. Like I said both are being abused, but the snap on has never complained.
bswilmington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:39 PM   #17
jchafee
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 238453
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: CT
Vehicle:
05 05 WRX
Aspen White

Default

At least you can drive to your local costco or sears and return the tool on the spot. I've broken my fair share of "quality brand tools as well. My snap on guy is an absolite douch! I had to chase him for three months just to get a rebuild kit for my 3/8 ratchet. I think its more of a corporate thing with their crappy customer service but still think thats pretty rediculous. Everyone needs a crap set of tools to kick around and **** up. There is nothing wrong with the cresent, crafstman, or husky for that.
jchafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:42 PM   #18
jchafee
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 238453
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: CT
Vehicle:
05 05 WRX
Aspen White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bswilmington

You need to buy more snap on then cause they are more durable than craftsman. Dont get me wrong you will find craftsman tools and other cheap brand tools in my box. Snap-ons do break but they generally can take alot more abuse. I once said i would never pay that for tools, now i have alot of snap-on tools. If you dont use them daily, craftsman or other cheaper brands would be all i would buy.

Here is one example. I have a craftsman 12" rachet that has broken atleast 5 times. If you couple it with a 12" 1/2inch extension and 19mm socket (around 15" extra lenth added to the 12" rachet) I do this to break loose rear toe adjusters on subarus. There is other methods, but this one i like so thats how i do it. You ususally get about 3 times before the head breaks on the craftsman. Now the rachet honestly isnt designed for this and I am abusing it. I bought a snap-on exact same length and I do the same thing to it. It has never broken on me and i have done it atleast 100 times with the snap-on. Like I said both are being abused, but the snap on has never complained.
Oh. And you need to learn how to use tools. There are zero circumstances where breaking bolts loose with a ratchet is acceptable. Its no wonder you've broken so many of them. Just sayin' A lot of the problems people have with broken tools is misuse.
jchafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:45 PM   #19
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchafee View Post
Oh. And you need to learn how to use tools. There are zero circumstances where breaking bolts loose with a ratchet is acceptable. Its no wonder you've broken so many of them. Just sayin' A lot of the problems people have with broken tools is misuse.
and that's that.....it always cringe when I see people misusing tools and breaking them....and then they blame the tool
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:12 AM   #20
benwara
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 273923
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Dakota
Vehicle:
2005 STI
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchafee View Post
At least you can drive to your local costco or sears and return the tool on the spot. I've broken my fair share of "quality brand tools as well. My snap on guy is an absolite douch! I had to chase him for three months just to get a rebuild kit for my 3/8 ratchet. I think its more of a corporate thing with their crappy customer service but still think thats pretty rediculous. Everyone needs a crap set of tools to kick around and **** up. There is nothing wrong with the cresent, crafstman, or husky for that.
I hear you there. We had a lot of snap on crap at work and everytime I would ask the rep for a replacement he would say, "that is a wear item". So when the stuff breaks we toss it and buy something from MSC. There are tons of good brands of tools/tool boxes. I haven't bought anything from him in 5 years but he still comes around. Almost everytime he comes I have to get 5 locks from him for tool boxes. $6,000 tool box the lock breaks every month or so (it get's locked/unlocked 6x a day)
benwara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:55 PM   #21
bswilmington
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 217563
Join Date: Jul 2009
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Eden NC
Vehicle:
2006 Sti 12.68 @ 108
321WHP 422WTQ dynojet SAE

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchafee View Post
Oh. And you need to learn how to use tools. There are zero circumstances where breaking bolts loose with a ratchet is acceptable. Its no wonder you've broken so many of them. Just sayin' A lot of the problems people have with broken tools is misuse.
Haha i do it for a living, so im tough on tools. Tools are meant to be broken and used for tools. I dont look at tool for the price i paid for it, i look at it for getting the job done. Sure you can go to your tool box and get a breaker bar for this application, to only find out that it wont fit. Sure some people have the long wrenches that are made for this, but guess what i dont and the 20+ year subaru senior master beside me dont either.

I have only broken craftsman rachets doing this and after it broke twice i replaced it with a snap-on. My snap-on has never failed under the same circumstances, i was just using it for a reference of the quality of the parts. You break bolts loose anyway you choose to, ill do it my way. I made myself clear that i was using the tool in a way not intended.

I also stated i have craftsman tools and i do purchase other tools than snap-on, matco, mac. But some people do it professionally, I dont know whether you do or not, but if you do im sure you dont use every tool for there intention. If you ever do any press work you will discover sockets become useful, would that be inapporpiate.
bswilmington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:33 PM   #22
Eri6143230
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 245741
Join Date: May 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Perth Amboy, NJ
Vehicle:
2000 Impreza 2.5RS
Silver

Default

They are decent but I would go with craftman they replace most broken tools. They're worth the money. I own craftman at my job and I think highly of them.
Eri6143230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:30 AM   #23
jchafee
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 238453
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: CT
Vehicle:
05 05 WRX
Aspen White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bswilmington

Haha i do it for a living, so im tough on tools. Tools are meant to be broken and used for tools. I dont look at tool for the price i paid for it, i look at it for getting the job done. Sure you can go to your tool box and get a breaker bar for this application, to only find out that it wont fit. Sure some people have the long wrenches that are made for this, but guess what i dont and the 20+ year subaru senior master beside me dont either.

I have only broken craftsman rachets doing this and after it broke twice i replaced it with a snap-on. My snap-on has never failed under the same circumstances, i was just using it for a reference of the quality of the parts. You break bolts loose anyway you choose to, ill do it my way. I made myself clear that i was using the tool in a way not intended.

I also stated i have craftsman tools and i do purchase other tools than snap-on, matco, mac. But some people do it professionally, I dont know whether you do or not, but if you do im sure you dont use every tool for there intention. If you ever do any press work you will discover sockets become useful, would that be inapporpiate.
I am not a mechanic by "trade" if thats what your asking. If i did it for a living it would surly not be a hobby of mine or something i enjoy. Im sorry if my statement came off a little critical. I just personally would'nt use my 130.00 snap on 1/2" ratchet for breaking bolts loose. Of course i misuse tools to a certain degree, everyone does. I just try really hard to practice safe and mindfull tool care, thats all. As far as press work goes. I own a couple sets of craftman impact sockets that are my go-to for any kind of beating on or shop press use. Im sure you know not to use crome sockets for pressing or hammering as they are brittle and will shatter and send pieces flying at your eyes and face. I'm just a self taught backyard shadetree boy with a little bit of knowledge, and a little bit of common scence.
jchafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:35 PM   #24
hybrid gti 2
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 67004
Join Date: Jul 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: (818) 200k+ ej205 ppg 5mt
Vehicle:
02 vf30 pnp wagon
silver and cf

Default

The cutters and needle nose are just to big for the average hand. I use a ziptie just beyond the joint to reduce the reach. The ziptie slides back off for full range of motion.
hybrid gti 2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:54 AM   #25
fallehero_08
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 214110
Join Date: Jun 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Lake Villa
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchafee View Post
I am not a mechanic by "trade" if thats what your asking. If i did it for a living it would surly not be a hobby of mine or something i enjoy. Im sorry if my statement came off a little critical. I just personally would'nt use my 130.00 snap on 1/2" ratchet for breaking bolts loose. Of course i misuse tools to a certain degree, everyone does. I just try really hard to practice safe and mindfull tool care, thats all. As far as press work goes. I own a couple sets of craftman impact sockets that are my go-to for any kind of beating on or shop press use. Im sure you know not to use crome sockets for pressing or hammering as they are brittle and will shatter and send pieces flying at your eyes and face. I'm just a self taught backyard shadetree boy with a little bit of knowledge, and a little bit of common scence.
i used the cheapest 1/2 ratchet i could find (which came in a 56 peice set from autozone for 19.99) and a piece of Aluminum pipe as a breaker bar and it has yet to break after breaking my craftsman one. expensive tools are a waste. i guess thats just the way i am though. i would rather use my dremel to make a square bit screw driver from a cheapie the buy a nice one. more money to put towards parts and toys.
fallehero_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What do you guys think of a SPT intake? What do you have? chomponthis231 Newbies & FAQs 28 07-07-2009 09:01 AM
What do you guys think of this wrx can you help me please akazempoor General Community 18 02-10-2008 04:59 PM
What do you guys think of the front end of my car? joefocker20 Member's Car Gallery 13 01-29-2003 07:09 PM
What do you guys think of this from MOMO? SK00Impreza Interior & Exterior Modification 9 05-26-2001 10:07 AM
What do you guys think of this plan... lucien2 Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC 6 04-26-2001 10:07 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.