Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday August 27, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 07-21-2002, 10:12 AM   #1
minix42@
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 548
Vehicle:
'98 Impreza RS
dinged up faded black

Default 98rs - half a radiator = ?

any ideas?... My '98RS has been acting up for a while now and I'm still at a loss to understand why. I was almost convinced it was the headgasket dying, but now I'm not sure. I was driving to the store yesterday when it suddenly decided to overheat. When I popped the hood and felt the radiator, the passenger side was very hot but the drivers side was cool as could be.

I realize that this is designed into the radiator --- the hot water enters on the top passenger side, and makes it's way to the bottom drivers side as it cools--- but this seems pretty extreme. The inlet side was Very Hot all the way to the center of the radiator. Then from the center to the outlet it was cold. I'm just wondering why there was such a dramatic difference in temp so close to each other.

Do you think this has something to do with why I'm puking coolant from time to time? I've bleed the system SOOO many times, but it seems like there's always more air in there. I don't know if it's just because I missed an air bubble and it multiplied, or if new air's entering the system.

mike
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
minix42@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 12:23 PM   #2
munkis
Scooby Guru

Member#: 1847
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
Team Broken: V6 GF
rallyarmor.com

its either a stuck thermostat, or most likely head gaskets, I only read the first line of your post...

ive seen it before on my98's, but the on I saw like that, had a cracked head.

get it checked out as soon as you can.

Jay McDade
Lincoln/Mercury/Jaguar
munkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 08:57 PM   #3
ciper
Scooby Guru

Member#: 15543
Vehicle:
90BJ Legacy LS ABS
AWD 946 Rio Red Jpn built

Id say to save yourself from going nuts go and buy a coolant sniffer. If you do it right its pretty conclusive about head gasket failure. Even if its not leaking all the time the exhaust will still be present in your coolant (leave the old coolant in the car for now).

When the car overheats does the heater still blow hot?
ciper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 03:55 AM   #4
minix42@
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 548
Vehicle:
'98 Impreza RS
dinged up faded black

ciper: too late... I am nUtz!>< arugh!@# thanks though.

I think the heater blew hot.... I just flipped the heater on and jumped out to open the hood so I wasn't really around to find out until a couple minutes later. It worked quite well afterwards.

I just replaced the thermostat and radiator cap twice in the last month or so. I'm just trying to think of everything other than the headgasket that it could be.

Is my bleeding procedure screwed up or something?... I've been trying for weeks to get all the air out. Every time I fill the radiator (even tried parking on a hill,) it just seems like all the coolant ends up in the expansion tank shortly afterwards. This time around I found white chunky stuff in the coolant.
minix42@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 04:05 PM   #5
Seca2man
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 2161
Vehicle:
1996 2.2L
Black Diamond Pearl

Default Feel your pain

I had the same problem 98. When I brought it to the dealer they said they thought my block maybe cracked. One of my mechanic buddies thinks that it's the head gasket. I pulled the engine and dropped in a used 98 legacy outback 2.5l engine temporarily. I haven't dismantled the original engine yet. I bought a used phase 2 block and will be ordering alluminum pistons and rods in about a month or two. I'm leaning towards it being the head gasket. A small tear or something in the headgasket which lets some back pressure into the coolant passage which in turn causes the coolant not to flow. A temporary fix that I found was to slowly let the pressure out of the bleeder screw rather than the radiator cap. Then add coolant and water through the bleeder opening. I think that equalized the pressure enough to temporarily let the head gasket tear to fall back in place and get back on the road sooner. Most likely you'll have to pull out the engine at some point to try and keep from doing more permanent damage like warping or cracking. Hope this helps.
-Alain
Seca2man is offline   Reply With Quote