Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 5, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Interior & Exterior Modification

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2011, 04:43 PM   #51
NotSoStock11
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 262735
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Central, NJ
Vehicle:
2012 STI Limited
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RandomW View Post
I'm still debating between 35 legal in IL or 30 ? They way yours look 35 looks pretty good right now I might have to see it in person when I got to the shop and then make my final decision
What about my other question ?

Didn't read the full post before sorry...and 35% looks pretty dark @ night and on cloudy/rainy days but in full sunlight you can see through kinda easily...I like it cuz its illegal in NJ, but I can pop my sunroof and open my front windows slightly to get away with it...

here are some older pics...














* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
NotSoStock11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:02 PM   #52
Br.swans
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 245192
Join Date: Apr 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Ventura
Vehicle:
11 WRX 4dr
Black

Default

I like it! Been wanting to do it to my 09!
Br.swans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:09 PM   #53
1RandomW
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 269224
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: IL
Vehicle:
'11 WRX-4 Door, SWP

Default

Thanks for the pics.
Now I just need to find someone to swap trunks with to go wingless.
I think is hard to find people to swap trunk with especially when I have a premium trunk wing usually people like the STI wing or wingless not in between
These pics are awesome
1RandomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:11 PM   #54
d3v0
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 225692
Join Date: Oct 2009
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
DGM

Default

panda!
d3v0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:20 PM   #55
NotSoStock11
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 262735
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Central, NJ
Vehicle:
2012 STI Limited
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RandomW View Post
Thanks for the pics.
Now I just need to find someone to swap trunks with to go wingless.
I think is hard to find people to swap trunk with especially when I have a premium trunk wing usually people like the STI wing or wingless not in between
These pics are awesome

Ya you just gotta be persistent...I went around pm'ing a bunch of ppl that had SWP 2011s...lolll I got pretty lucky cuz I traded my limited trunk for the wingless base model wrx trunk then to the sti wing+trunk....it took a while, but I finally got what I want. I couldn't stomach paying for the wing and paint because its so damn expensive...the roof vane cost about $750 installed...

I'll post up some installation pics with the basic steps when I feel like taking the pics off my phone.
NotSoStock11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:32 PM   #56
Yellow_Feva
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 269659
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Orlando FL/Katy TX
Vehicle:
04 Forester STI
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byzantium View Post
It looks very out of place. You have too much going on.
Thank you, it looks horible.

It was made for the 07 not the 2011 It dosnt follow the body lines.
Yellow_Feva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:41 PM   #57
BoXXy
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 203370
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dallas
Vehicle:
2005 Wrx
VF39

Default

people do some weird **** to their cars.
BoXXy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:47 PM   #58
1RandomW
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 269224
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: IL
Vehicle:
'11 WRX-4 Door, SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoStock11 View Post
Ya you just gotta be persistent...I went around pm'ing a bunch of ppl that had SWP 2011s...lolll I got pretty lucky cuz I traded my limited trunk for the wingless base model wrx trunk then to the sti wing+trunk....it took a while, but I finally got what I want. I couldn't stomach paying for the wing and paint because its so damn expensive...the roof vane cost about $750 installed...
That's a lot of $ but if you like it that's what matters.
When you went from the limited wing to the wingless trunk what exactly did you swap ? Was it just the trunk or some other stuff too ?
Thanks
1RandomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:01 PM   #59
Vossatron
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 276634
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Surprise
Vehicle:
2011 4dr WRX
SSM Whale Tail

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoStock11 View Post
Ya you just gotta be persistent...I went around pm'ing a bunch of ppl that had SWP 2011s...lolll I got pretty lucky cuz I traded my limited trunk for the wingless base model wrx trunk then to the sti wing+trunk....it took a while, but I finally got what I want. I couldn't stomach paying for the wing and paint because its so damn expensive...the roof vane cost about $750 installed...

I'll post up some installation pics with the basic steps when I feel like taking the pics off my phone.

Are you serious? I paid about $450 to buy, ship, paint, and install the STI sedan wing. I bought it from subarugenuineparts.com
Vossatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:04 PM   #60
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage (...for now...)
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

Default

From the rear it adds so much bizzness to the STI with a spoiler and wingless it makes the car look even stumpier. I wonder what a trunk lip spoiler or even WRX spoiler with this roof vane would look like...
chanomatik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:08 PM   #61
Byzantium
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 207826
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Katabatic
Vehicle:
85k 2002 WRX
Correct Fitment Crew #034

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoStock11

Or...most don't care because I guarantee 99% of the Subarus that have a roof vane spoiler didn't put it on their car for functionality (and if they did I doubt they're utilizing the added downforce)...it's for the looks, which is exactly what mine is for. So you can blab about aerodynamics and little children all day, but that won't get you anywhere on this thread
I believe we have a word for people who put nonfunctional wings on their cars.
Byzantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:23 PM   #62
Louie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 43393
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Middle River
Vehicle:
2014 Audi a6
Daytona Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byzantium

I believe we have a word for people who put nonfunctional wings on their cars.
Becareful, we also have a word for people who judge others because it is unconventional to believe that there is more to being an enthusiast than just function.
Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:28 PM   #63
Byzantium
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 207826
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Katabatic
Vehicle:
85k 2002 WRX
Correct Fitment Crew #034

Default

Purists? Peoplethatdonthavebadtaste?
Byzantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:28 PM   #64
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage (...for now...)
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byzantium View Post
I believe we have a word for people who put nonfunctional wings on their cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie View Post
Becareful, we also have a word for people who judge others because it is unconventional to believe that there is more to being an enthusiast than just function.
Ohhh! Ohhh! Can I guess? Can I guess?!

Byzantium is thinking "rice". Correct?

And Louie is thinking... "Douchebag"?

Yeah! What do I win?!

Dude, Subaru started it with quad-tipped exhaust anyways.
chanomatik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:50 PM   #65
Rizen
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 157002
Join Date: Aug 2007
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Vehicle:
2011 STI Sedan
Satin White Pearl

Default

Looks much better with the wing. I was honestly debating doing this myself, but I don't think I want to drill into the body of my car for it. Probably just do the STI lip spoiler + 3rd brake light and call it a day on aesthetics.
Rizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:27 PM   #66
Louie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 43393
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Middle River
Vehicle:
2014 Audi a6
Daytona Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byzantium
Purists? Peoplethatdonthavebadtaste?
narrowmindedasshatfacists. lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik

Ohhh! Ohhh! Can I guess? Can I guess?!

Byzantium is thinking "rice". Correct?

And Louie is thinking... "Douchebag"?

Yeah! What do I win?!

Dude, Subaru started it with quad-tipped exhaust anyways.
naw, I was going to say ignoranus. its clinical term.

on a serious note.


I like the profile shot of the car. because the lines of the impreza are so unconventional the roof vane helps besk up the long roof/rear window line. or maybe because we got shorted in trunk lines.
Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:01 PM   #67
lk86fire
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 270572
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: PacNW
Vehicle:
2008 WRX
DGM

Default

I wanted to do this with my wingless, but I don't care for it after seeing it.

I think it would look better if you went with the WRX sedan spoiler, honestly.

Props for doing it, if you like it, **** the haters.

I see plenty stanced Subies and people who never drive fast/track their car keeping the STi spoiler for looks.

On EVOs(I don't know what the downforce specs are on STis), I think I recall the spoiler generates 50lbs of downforce around 80-85mph.

So, unless you drive at that speed or higher, your spoiler is extra weight, right? I'm happy to be corrected but that seems to be the general consesus on evotuners and evolutionm.
Then again, the spoiler/wing guys that track swear by 'em.

All that matters is if you like it.
lk86fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:26 PM   #68
NotSoStock11
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 262735
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Central, NJ
Vehicle:
2012 STI Limited
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RandomW View Post
That's a lot of $ but if you like it that's what matters.
When you went from the limited wing to the wingless trunk what exactly did you swap ? Was it just the trunk or some other stuff too ?
Thanks
When I went from the limited lip spoiler to wingless it was a bit of a project. I had to swap rear deck lids (the black plastic insert behind the back seats) because the 3rd tail light for the wingless model is in the rear window. That added a significant amount of time to the swap because I didn't know how to take it off and kinda struggled with it for a bit because I didn't want to damage either of our cars. I also swapped the torsion rods (springs) both times because they are all different strengths even though they appear to be the same upon physical inspection. When I swapped from wingless to STI trunk it only took about 30mins doing it at a casual pace.
NotSoStock11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:28 PM   #69
NotSoStock11
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 262735
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Central, NJ
Vehicle:
2012 STI Limited
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vossatron View Post
Are you serious? I paid about $450 to buy, ship, paint, and install the STI sedan wing. I bought it from subarugenuineparts.com

But did you come from a limited spoiler lip? I saw a thread on Nasioc where a guy bought the STI wing to put on his WRX limited and the final bill came out to about $950....so getting mine done for free with a little bit of work and time was a win for me...now I don't feel so bad about the money I spent on the Roof vane + installation
NotSoStock11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #70
NotSoStock11
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 262735
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Central, NJ
Vehicle:
2012 STI Limited
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lk86fire View Post
I wanted to do this with my wingless, but I don't care for it after seeing it.

I think it would look better if you went with the WRX sedan spoiler, honestly.

Props for doing it, if you like it, **** the haters.

I see plenty stanced Subies and people who never drive fast/track their car keeping the STi spoiler for looks.

On EVOs(I don't know what the downforce specs are on STis), I think I recall the spoiler generates 50lbs of downforce around 80-85mph.

So, unless you drive at that speed or higher, your spoiler is extra weight, right? I'm happy to be corrected but that seems to be the general consesus on evotuners and evolutionm.
Then again, the spoiler/wing guys that track swear by 'em.

All that matters is if you like it.
Wow there are actually some people on NASIOC that can dislike something and give there honest opinions without being a complete d-bag in the process....thanks for the comment...I do like it and your right, F the haters
NotSoStock11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:04 PM   #71
1RandomW
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 269224
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: IL
Vehicle:
'11 WRX-4 Door, SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoStock11 View Post
When I went from the limited lip spoiler to wingless it was a bit of a project. I had to swap rear deck lids (the black plastic insert behind the back seats) because the 3rd tail light for the wingless model is in the rear window. That added a significant amount of time to the swap because I didn't know how to take it off and kinda struggled with it for a bit because I didn't want to damage either of our cars. I also swapped the torsion rods (springs) both times because they are all different strengths even though they appear to be the same upon physical inspection. When I swapped from wingless to STI trunk it only took about 30mins doing it at a casual pace.
Stupid me, until now I haven't even realized that the base model even has a 3rd tail light. Is that a requirement, to have a 3rd tail light ? If is not I won't even bother with it - when I'll the swap the guy can keep his and make a 4th one with the one that's in the spoiler .
Thanks again for the info
Rob
1RandomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:18 PM   #72
NotSoStock11
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 262735
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Central, NJ
Vehicle:
2012 STI Limited
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RandomW View Post
Stupid me, until now I haven't even realized that the base model even has a 3rd tail light. Is that a requirement, to have a 3rd tail light ? If is not I won't even bother with it - when I'll the swap the guy can keep his and make a 4th one with the one that's in the spoiler .
Thanks again for the info
Rob
I'm pretty sure its required, at least in NJ, but to be honest i'm not sure...plus your in a diff state (if it is a law determined by the state). The guy I swapped with said he wouldn't mind keeping the tail light but I told him no because I didn't want to give the cops another reason to hassle me...they have enough as it is. I don't really think you would get bothered to much for not having a 3rd tail light if it is illegal, but you never know....its better to be safe than sorry on this one imo...anyways, no wiring was needed....you'll notice that ur car has a clip in the trunk that isnt being used...its right underneath where the 3rd tail light would sit...I think its blue....also, the models that have the 3rd tail light also have an unused clip for the wrx limited spoiler tail light...
NotSoStock11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:40 PM   #73
1RandomW
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 269224
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: IL
Vehicle:
'11 WRX-4 Door, SWP

Default

Any advice/input on how take the rear deck lid out ? Any hidden screws or is there a specific order that I have need to take stuff out ?
Thanks
1RandomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:44 PM   #74
monkiboy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 202958
Join Date: Feb 2009
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: washington, dc
Vehicle:
2008 wrx

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RandomW View Post
Any advice/input on how take the rear deck lid out ? Any hidden screws or is there a specific order that I have need to take stuff out ?
Thanks
you should check out 3gwrx.com for this kind of stuff. there's two DIYs on that forum.

here's one:
http://www.3gwrx.com/forum/index.php?topic=19504.15
monkiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:46 PM   #75
synolimit
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 225225
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: medina, oh
Vehicle:
11 WRX
335HP, 394TQ, 93 VF52!!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoStock11 View Post
I'm pretty sure its required, at least in NJ, but to be honest i'm not sure...plus your in a diff state (if it is a law determined by the state). The guy I swapped with said he wouldn't mind keeping the tail light but I told him no because I didn't want to give the cops another reason to hassle me...they have enough as it is. I don't really think you would get bothered to much for not having a 3rd tail light if it is illegal, but you never know....its better to be safe than sorry on this one imo...anyways, no wiring was needed....you'll notice that ur car has a clip in the trunk that isnt being used...its right underneath where the 3rd tail light would sit...I think its blue....also, the models that have the 3rd tail light also have an unused clip for the wrx limited spoiler tail light...
my swap we didnt do 3rd lights unless we did the rear deck. bonus its 100% OEM so if a cops pulls you over "it how it came stock." i could add one but that would mean drilling the deck and running the wires down to the harness...no thanks.
synolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2006 STI Roof Vane Spoiler VIRULENT Interior & Exterior Modification 64 02-27-2010 02:34 AM
Looking for an 06/07 STI with roof vane spoiler in Rancho Cucamonga area MorphiasX Southern California Impreza Club Forum -- SCIC 3 02-01-2010 08:36 PM
roof vane spoiler on a GC? SubeSTIle Interior & Exterior Modification 1 06-08-2006 12:56 PM
Roof Vane Spoiler Removal EssTeeEye06 Interior & Exterior Modification 36 11-03-2005 06:56 PM
2006 Roof vane spoiler BWildman Subaru Conversions 4 10-14-2005 09:39 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2015 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.