Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday July 30, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Member's Car Gallery

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:51 AM   #1
ilarson007
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 340470
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Platinum Silver

Default ilarson007's 04 STi Refresh

So, I have been documenting my refresh project on my local Subaru forum, but I thought I would copy/paste and post here as well...

Quote:
So, a few of you on here know that I recently picked up an 04 STi. At the time, I thought it was a pretty good deal. 120k miles, 100% stock (down to the exhaust heat shields).

Here it is the day I picked her up:

When I bought this car, it was showing a P0171 - Too Lean code. The previous owner told me that Tom Wood had told him it was the front AF ratio sensor. So, I thought, well, that's fine, I've already done that job before. Easy fix.

I ordered the sensor, installed it, cleared the code, and BOOM. 50 miles later, it comes back on.

So after spending about a month trying to track down the code (using this thread: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=475620), I was at the point where I have sent my injectors out to WitchHunter Performance in WA for flow analysis and cleaning.

However, last Sunday I had Mike R come over to do a leak-down test, and my worst fear was confirmed. Cylinder #1 showed 9%, Cyl #2 was 16#, Cyl #3 was 43%, and Cyl #4 was 22%. Time for a new short block.

This thread will be detailing my progress of the rebuild. I am still awaiting my injectors back, and at that point I am going to contact the PO and try and get some money back. I am not expecting anything, but it is worth a shot.

At this point, I have purchased a short block from an 08 that has 28k miles on it (thanks, Chad), and I will be having Turn In Concepts rebuild it for me with new bearings and JE forged pistons. I wanted to slap some forged pistons in an OE new short block, but the funds just are not there (around $1500 for a complete short block with 28k, vs $1870 for just the block and no forged piston goodness).

I am also planning on upgrading the oil pickup and baffle to the KillerB setup (actually, I already ordered them).

More updates as I have them.

Updates to my original post:
So as of right now, I have increased the scope of this build. I went with ASI to build the short block as there was a miscommunication with TiC around pricing of the rebuild. I took the heads to Arcola Engine Services for inspection and found that the valves were not sealing well, and needed to be replaced.

Current mods and replacement items with the build (Green for installed, red if not purchased):
  • 3" egay Chinese Cobb Knockoff TBE
  • Competition Stage 3 Full Faced Ceramic Clutch
  • KillerB Oil Pan Baffle
  • KillerB Oil Pickup
  • Gates Black Timing Belt, Water Pump and Pulleys kit
  • OEM oil pump
  • '08 EJ257 Block and Crank
  • Mahle 99.75mm forged pistons
  • Manley H-Tuff forged Rods
  • King Main and Rod Bearings
  • WRX TGV's (deleted, of course)
  • WRX Top Feed Fuel Rails
  • ID1000 Top Feed Injectors
  • Replace all vacuum lines (most cracked on tear down lol )
  • Replace a few coolant lines (maybe)
  • Cap off coolant lines going to the throttle body
  • 20" TrailWorthyFab LED light bar (click me)
  • I would like to replace both front half shafts with Reman units (thought I heard some clunking on turns before I took her down)

I think that's about it. As far as gages go, I have purchased and installed the SMY Dual Cluster Pod (I really like the placement of the gages in this pod) and gotten rid of the factory boost gage on the column. I have an AEM UEGO Wideband and and AEM 35psi digital boost gage. I need to get some double stick tape or something though, because they are too loose to stay in the cluster otherwise. I also need to wire power/ground for the boost gage and then hook up the sender unit when I get the engine back in. Wideband was already in the car before I took it down, so all the wiring is done for that bad boy. Details of everything I am doing are in the thread in posts as I update them.

Last edited by ilarson007; 02-16-2015 at 09:51 AM.
ilarson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2015, 10:52 AM   #2
ilarson007
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Platinum Silver

Quote:
So, my first parts arrived last night:

The KillerB oil pickup and baffle. I don't really need these, but I wanted to upgrade for piece of mind. They look like high quality parts! The pickup is BEEFY as hell. Awesome upgrades, especially for rally cars where the chance of the pan getting smashed is higher.
next.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:53 AM   #3
ilarson007
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Platinum Silver

Quote:
Well, more bad news tonight. Now, not only do I have an engine that needs rebuilt, I still do not know what was causing the lean condition that screwed the engine... I got my injectors back today, and they all passed flow testing. This includes before and after cleaning. So, back to square one.

Next.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:53 AM   #4
ilarson007
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Platinum Silver

Quote:
Made some progress today. Got the car up on jack stands, and removed the radiator, intercooler, battery, a few intake pieces. Not much, but enough to keep me occupied before church tonight [It was Christmas Eve]:

Also, I am obviously way better than you are at catching coolant. Not.
Next.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:53 AM   #5
ilarson007
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Platinum Silver

Quote:
Progress:

Took me awhile of mashing the crap out of things, but finally I figured out (with help) where to put the chisel to get the engine/trans to split

With that, next is getting it on the stand and getting the heads off and off to the shop.
Next.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:53 AM   #6
ilarson007
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Platinum Silver

Quote:
I just decided yesterday to do ID1000's lol.... Already ordered.
Next.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:54 AM   #7
ilarson007
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Platinum Silver

Quote:
Also, another small update. After trying many time, getting frustrated, and not confident I haven't bent valves, I decided to buy the Company23 cam gear tools to get the gears off. I tried many times, with a lot of internet help, to use the timing belt to hold things in place, but the only thing that ended up happening was the gears slipped, or the crank pulley and cam gear rotated, or I bumped the cam gears and they sprung around about a 1/4 turn.

So I'm going to cut my losses and see if I bent anything when I finally get the heads off and to the shop.

Some pictures of current progress:

Next.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:54 AM   #8
ilarson007
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Platinum Silver

Quote:
Another small update. My short block should be getting assembled this Thursday (apparently the guy at the machine shop had surgery in December that slowed him down?)... So I will be able to pick that up next weekend (Sno*Drift this weekend!).

I am also dropping my heads off to the shop today to get inspected/cleaned/resurfaced etc etc, so that should be done pretty soon.

And here, have some more pictures...

Cylinder walls look pretty good to me (but I also don't know what I'm looking for), so we'll see if any of my valves are bad. Or bent. Please don't be bent.
So this is where it stands right now. I am currently waiting to hear back from the machine shop and assembly shop.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:55 AM   #9
ilarson007
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Platinum Silver

Quote:
I wanted to give a general update. (see first post)

I have a few more things in the works. Currently I am still waiting on my short block (supposed to be done Tuesday at this point) and my cylinder heads. The heads should also be done this week, early next? Haven't heard yet.

Look at some things:

Old 02-22-2015, 06:15 AM   #10
ilarson007
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Platinum Silver

I got my heads back on Friday. So, now it's just a waiting game on the short block.

I also purchased magnetic drain plugs for the engine and transmission:

Old 02-22-2015, 01:58 PM   #11
Blingstrom
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 322188
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
05 STi
CGM

Glad things are moving along. Hope everything ends up better than you hoped. What is going on with that one valve that looks like a clover.

I am sure the doing the oil pan is much easier off the car!
Blingstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:37 PM   #12
ilarson007
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Platinum Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingstrom View Post
Glad things are moving along. Hope everything ends up better than you hoped. What is going on with that one valve that looks like a clover.

I am sure the doing the oil pan is much easier off the car!
Wow, didn't even see this post.

Anyways, not exactly sure, but the valves were in pretty bad shape. I had over $500 at the machine shop for a valve job.

Now, for an update:

With the end of school approaching fast, I'll finally start working on this again. Right now, my current roadblock is rust. The cams rusted overnight when we had a swing from 30 degrees to 75 degrees in one day. This is what I'm going to be working on:

Other than that, I've removed the stock exhaust and put on my Chinese crap. It hits the driveshaft (surprise), so I'll likely be making some "modifications" to that soon.