Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday May 31, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Interior & Exterior Modification

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-16-2016, 03:24 PM   #1
vitya8
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 442485
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
Black

Default Wrx rear tail light overlays

Hi,

Do any of you guys have the red taillight overlays on your 08 - 12 WRX/STI?
I have been wanting to get some for a long time and i am finally looking for some to buy but there are so many of them out there and i have been reading reviews that some low quality ones fade and peel of and such.

My question is

Which ones are good quality that you guys had experience with?

Thank you for any suggestions!
vitya8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2016, 07:04 AM   #2
ANSR.Shaffer
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 442742

On my 04 I used a tinted piece of ebaay to make it all solid red because mines san remo red
ANSR.Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:48 PM   #3
indominusWRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 433038
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
DGM

I just ordered the Lamin-X red overlays for my '09. Can't speak for them personally yet, as they're on their way to me still, but the reviews all seem good for the most part as far as quality is concerned. Main complaint in reviews is regarding the installation. Also, I've had the yellow fog overlays from them for a while now, and they've been good.
indominusWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 04:13 PM   #4
BLUEBATOVERLAYS.COM
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 312664

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...=bluebatmobile

http://s2.photobucket.com/user/BlueB...88653995177401

Lots of options .

[email protected]
BLUEBATOVERLAYS.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 04:37 PM   #5
Jkwrx0815
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 437721
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
WRB

I scooped mine from subispeed months ago for my 15. Holding up good and applied easy.
Jkwrx0815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:37 PM   #6
vitya8
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 WRX
Black

I ended up buying the overlays from BLUEBATOVERLAYS.COM and i am happy with the result.

Installation was difficult. Mine ended up having some wrinkles on the top corners of the tail lights. Not visible from far but if you look close you can see them. I do have to say though that i have never worked with material like this before so i had less than 0 experience going into this, i have never even done a window tint. However in the end it worked out well. I watched many videos online and red about the installation process and it came out good. To be honest i never hated the look of the tail lights but with the overlays it looks like a different car. It looks way better.
The purchasing transaction was easy and the shipping was fast, very nice guy to deal with, i had some questions before my order and he answered them very fast. The material looks very good, the color is great and it can stretch a lot.
To balance this out there are some things on the negative side. For the price i feel that a felt squeegee should be included, i say this because a competitor is selling them for cheaper with an included squeegee.

All in all its a good deal and looks good. Here are some pictures.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-17-2016, 04:59 AM   #7
JLAG
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 211800
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2010 WRX 5dr
WRB

Nice job, keep them waxed for protection and for some extra shine (something i noticed overlays lack in comparison to stock tails)

I've had mine (premium auto styling overlays) on since 2010 and they still look great.

I use to run the reverse and signal cutouts clear but I've tinted them recently (80% than to 60% tint), and found I like them a lot better now. Wish i did it half a decade ago.

Stock vs 80% tint

80% tint on car

Here's 60% tint

Note: I upgraded the rear signal and reverse lights to 3x brighter bulbs after the tint.

Enjoy your overlays, almost feels like a different car.
JLAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:16 AM   #8
SlowSS
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 424689

I used the Lamin-X on mine just recently and I can attest to how difficult the installation can be for a novice. I actually did a terrible job on the curved portion of the lights as I didn't use a heat gun (HIGHLY Recommend!!), so I contacted Lamin-X directly and they sent me 2 pieces that were very large (I have left overs) and with a heat gun it went on so much easier! Quality seems very high as the material is very durable from what I have seen so far. I definitely recommend Lamin-X but use a heat gun, and maybe contact them directly for the larger sheets of the material as the pre-cut pieces are a little lacking imo.
SlowSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:13 PM   #9
BLUEBATOVERLAYS.COM
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitya8 View Post
I ended up buying the overlays from BLUEBATOVERLAYS.COM and i am happy with the result.

Installation was difficult. Mine ended up having some wrinkles on the top corners of the tail lights. Not visible from far but if you look close you can see them. I do have to say though that i have never worked with material like this before so i had less than 0 experience going into this, i have never even done a window tint. However in the end it worked out well. I watched many videos online and red about the installation process and it came out good. To be honest i never hated the look of the tail lights but with the overlays it looks like a different car. It looks way better.
The purchasing transaction was easy and the shipping was fast, very nice guy to deal with, i had some questions before my order and he answered them very fast. The material looks very good, the color is great and it can stretch a lot.
To balance this out there are some things on the negative side. For the price i feel that a felt squeegee should be included, i say this because a competitor is selling them for cheaper with an included squeegee.

All in all its a good deal and looks good. Here are some pictures.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Looks awesome! Thanks for posting the pics . I have customers that are still rockin' my overlays on others cars since 2004! and still looking fresh ! Aside from using a squeegee, u can use a credit card wrapped in microfiber . I like this method as the credit card is more flexible and can follow the taillight contours quite well. Again, nice job!

[email protected]
Old 05-17-2016, 02:03 PM   #10
vitya8
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 WRX
Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLAG View Post
Nice job, keep them waxed for protection and for some extra shine (something i noticed overlays lack in comparison to stock tails)

I've had mine (premium auto styling overlays) on since 2010 and they still look great.

I use to run the reverse and signal cutouts clear but I've tinted them recently (80% than to 60% tint), and found I like them a lot better now. Wish i did it half a decade ago.

Stock vs 80% tint

80% tint on car

Here's 60% tint

Note: I upgraded the rear signal and reverse lights to 3x brighter bulbs after the tint.

Enjoy your overlays, almost feels like a different car.

Thank you! The tint looks great!
Old 05-17-2016, 02:07 PM   #11
vitya8
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 WRX
Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEBATOVERLAYS.COM View Post
Looks awesome! Thanks for posting the pics . I have customers that are still rockin' my overlays on others cars since 2004! and still looking fresh ! Aside from using a squeegee, u can use a credit card wrapped in microfiber . I like this method as the credit card is more flexible and can follow the taillight contours quite well. Again, nice job!

[email protected]

Thank you!
I went to a fabric store and bought a piece of felt material for $0.39, wrapped it around an old credit card and glued it on. Worked great.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:11 PM   #12
BLUEBATOVERLAYS.COM
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitya8 View Post
Thank you!
I went to a fabric store and bought a piece of felt material for $0.39, wrapped it around an old credit card and glued it on. Worked great.

[email protected]