Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday December 25, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:29 AM   #51
g-Know
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 274470
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Wagon
Pearl

Hey guys,

So after fighting with the SOA and going back and forth, they took care of the entire repair, which they said was about $1900. I basically copy and pasted kingsalami's letter to them, waited for a call after a day or two, and they asked me to take the car into my local dealer. At that point, I also informed the dealer of the issue, and they basically went back and forth with SOA. SOA first offered to only cover $1000 worth of repairs, but I didn't back down. After speaking to a few supervisors, they finally agreed to cover the entire repair. For any of you in LA, Subaru of Glendale are the ones that took care of it. The service manager there is great, although I blanked on her name.

Asides from an exhaust and wheels, our WRX is stock. But I can definitely see how it's easy for them to put the blame on you for this issues, if your car looks even remotely close to being "raced."
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
g-Know is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:10 PM   #52
d_pieCe
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 294584
Vehicle:
2008 WRX STI 5dr
Lightning Red

I'm experiencing the same issue, started with a creak, then a clicking, now the whole firewall flexes. I'm literally sitting at the dealership and they're saying there are no service bulletins or recalls.
I admittedly have an aftermarket clutch in my 08 STi and they're trying to cite that as the cause.
I just got off the phone with SOA and fed them all the info including the fact that I have an aftermarket clutch. And they're supposedly talking to the dealership. Hopefully I don't get entrenched in a bitter protracted affair as I've been reading about. I'll follow up if I have any good news or advice and I plan to use as much info as I can from this thread to fix the issue. Best of luck all...
d_pieCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #53
WRX in WI
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 304333
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_pieCe View Post
I'm experiencing the same issue, started with a creak, then a clicking, now the whole firewall flexes. I'm literally sitting at the dealership and they're saying there are no service bulletins or recalls.
I admittedly have an aftermarket clutch in my 08 STi and they're trying to cite that as the cause.
I just got off the phone with SOA and fed them all the info including the fact that I have an aftermarket clutch. And they're supposedly talking to the dealership. Hopefully I don't get entrenched in a bitter protracted affair as I've been reading about. I'll follow up if I have any good news or advice and I plan to use as much info as I can from this thread to fix the issue. Best of luck all...

Sorry to press the issue but do you have any updates for us?
WRX in WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #54
BradX978
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 334143
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2008 WRX
Vin Diesel.

Fighting with rt 2 hyndai (where I bought the car) SOA, and north end subaru all at once. This sucks.
BradX978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #55
Hwaang
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 169271
Vehicle:
2008 wrx
white

I got the same old copy/paste answer with mine Think it's still worth a shot taking it up with my dealer? I have had the clutch pedal assembly replaced under warranty about two years ago for the same problem. This did not fix the problem and it has been getting worse ever since.

"Thank you for taking the time to contact Subaru of America, Inc. and I am sorry that your email was prompted by your dissatisfaction with your 2008 Subaru.

I had the opportunity to review our records for your vehicle and can assure you that there are no recalls and/or service campaigns for your vehicle. Additionally, there is no guarantee or average life expectancy that I could provide to you as to how long components or vehicles will last. Please understand that the longevity of any component/vehicle may be affected by any number of factors such as, but not limited to: repeated short distance driving, road conditions, weather conditions, driving in areas where road treatment materials are used, living in coastal or maritime climates or elevated areas, towing, off-roading, extensive trip driving, and operator driving habits, improper or incomplete maintenance, etc. Additionally, it is very difficult for me to provide you with an accurate diagnosis of your vehicle via email. Therefore, I would recommend that you contact an authorized Subaru dealership to allow them the opportunity to inspect your vehicle and make an accurate diagnosis and repair, if necessary.

Once again, thank you for your email and please let me know should you have any additional questions and/or concerns."
Hwaang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:04 AM   #56
young_skywalker
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 290707
Vehicle:
2008 WRX Hatch
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwaang View Post
I got the same old copy/paste answer with mine Think it's still worth a shot taking it up with my dealer?
Yes. That's where I started and never had the need to contact SoA.
young_skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:39 AM   #57
Speed Assault
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 289598
Vehicle:
2008 impreza wrx

Looks like I am next in this issue.
I thought I would add some lube on the mechanics to solve the creeks/squeeks but as I push the clutch with my hand I can see the clutch lever/brackets assembly all flexing all the way across towards the main mount off the firewall. no flexing on the firewall itself though like you guys mention.
So what is the fix here? sounds like welding on steel braces onto the existing brackets right?
Sounds like fighting with dealer may get you another assembly that will again in time squeek again.

my toyota had a poor design clutch bracket and they actually designed a new one, I bought it at discount and I even added welds to it and it was mint.
I do have a exedy stg 2 clutch but Subaru (the world champs in rally racing) should know better and not use such thin metal for a clutch bracket.

Please point me where to get evidence that Subaru knows this is a problem ?
Can someone inlighten me and tell me what SOA is?
also, is there a term dictionary on this forum to translate all these different terms?

Thanks
08 impreza wrx 50k
Bridgestone Pilot Sport 225/17- awesome tires
Speed Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:47 AM   #58
young_skywalker
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2008 WRX Hatch
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Assault View Post

Please point me where to get evidence that Subaru knows this is a problem ?
Can someone inlighten me and tell me what SOA is?
also, is there a term dictionary on this forum to translate all these different terms?
Search is your friend

SOA = Subaru of America

Working with your local dealer was successful for me.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #59
xluben
Scooby Guru

Member#: 261612
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
10.9s @ 128mph

This is not specifically related to the firewall cracking issue, but it can have similar symptoms. My clutch linkage broke and eventually fell out, which resulted in my clutch pedal going straight to the floor while I was driving, leaving me with no way to actuate the clutch itself. I had my clutch master cylinder replaced by the dealer 2 years ago and I assume there was an assembly error which caused the failure. More info and photos can be found here:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2451989

Just another thing to keep an eye out for if you have any strange noises in the clutch area. I wish I had looked for it before it completely failed while I was driving. My welds still look fine, and my new fix for the linkage should be better than stock. I do hope the welds hold out!
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #60
BradX978
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 334143
Vehicle:
2008 WRX
Vin Diesel.

http://autoaccessoriesperformance.co...et_p_7513.html

Anyone have any opinions on this? I'd try to get it from perrin directly not this site. I'm at work so I just googled it.

Good experiences? Horror story's? Doesn't do anything?
BradX978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #61
xluben
Scooby Guru

Member#: 261612
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
10.9s @ 128mph

That's for the brake master cylinder. GrimmSpeed has been selling this for years:

http://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/pr...roducts_id=213

It is great to have, but it's not a fix to the clutch/firewall breaking issue.
xluben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #62
d_pieCe
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2008 WRX STI 5dr
Lightning Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX in WI View Post
Sorry to press the issue but do you have any updates for us?
It's now about a month later, I've actually gotten SoA to attempt to put it through on my extended warranty. I'll keep you guys posted and if it does go through I'll put up my claim number, but this will only be relevant to those with the extended warranty. I was fortunate enough to buy mine from the dealership in '11 and they let me renew the 100,000 mile bumper to bumper and extended warranty.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #63
TuningIsLife
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 191380
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2014 Jeep Wrangler
Hydro Blue

I am having this issue as well and it drives me nuts. Especially this winter when it has been shifting between 60F one day and 28F the next. My pedal will squeak and click, but not together and I also noticed the brake pedal assembly move when I press and depress the clutch pedal.

I drove it down to a Subaru dealership I want to deal with, but of course it was not making the noise when I did. I was going to pick up the master cylinder brace from Grimmspeed, but if it does not work, then it is not worth the $100.

I swear, I had less problems out of my xB, which had higher milage too.
TuningIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #64
Wrxknight8
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 185855
Vehicle:
2008 WRX
OBP

I just had the same experience! Early last week for three days, it was hovering in the teens and my clutch went from squeak to creak. You can feel the vibrations in the brake pedal as well and I'm thinking it has to be the welds! I stay off my rex for a few days until an appointment with the dealer later that week. Behold - no noise with with exception of a little squeal! They lubed and tightened the assembly - quick bandaid fix. When it gets warmer I'm gonna take at look at the welds. Keeping an eye on this thread...
Wrxknight8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #65
young_skywalker
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2008 WRX Hatch
Silver

The M/c brace will not solve your squeak issue, but it will improve the feel of the brake pedal. It was worth it to me.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #66
tmburke
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 342345
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2008 WRX Hatch VF-52
SSM

Just spoke with my dealer and the clutch fix could take up to a week. A week without my baby :-/!
tmburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #67
cheech315
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 228710
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
silver

Everyone should make a report to motor vehicle transportation so they force a recall. Fixing my firewall was very costly and its a manufacture defect no matter what subaru says about mods/abuse etc. The firewall is very thin and mad very poorly and they should pay for trying to take shortcuts.
cheech315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:31 PM   #68
eastwoodsn352
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 334442
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2008 WRX STI
Silver

How do we do this?
eastwoodsn352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:45 AM   #69
d_pieCe
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2008 WRX STI 5dr
Lightning Red

Subaru has finally agreed to cover my firewall and it's at the body shop getting quoted. Once again, this was done under my extended warranty. Had a loaner for a week now, great gas mileage on the stock imprezza, not much fun to drive though!
Old 03-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #70
Armyofcase
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 281396
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Sedan
World Rally Blue

Here is the video of the weld broken on a 2009 Subaru WRX. I recently fixed this and had it rewelded; reinforced and welded; and also fixed the two points underneath the windshield wiper motor that were also broken. Overall, this is a huge PITA but got it fixed this weekend and everything is back to 100%
Armyofcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #71
Armyofcase
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 WRX Sedan
World Rally Blue

So on a lighter side, we made this video....No packing peanuts were harmed in the shoot! lol
Old 03-14-2013, 10:15 AM   #72
SubieChick05
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 191561
Vehicle:
2014 WRX
World Rally Blue

This has been happening to me too so I guess I am going to have to call the dealership.. I do have an extended warranty too so I'm hoping that will help if I can't get it covered under Subaru. Anyone have issues with getting this covered because of any mods done to the car? I know sometimes dealerships can be dicks about stuff like that.. and so can extended warranty companies. I only have cat back exhaust and an intake right now which obviously has nothing to do with this concern.

Thanks
SubieChick05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:33 AM   #73
Armyofcase
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 WRX Sedan
World Rally Blue

It's a case by case basis. Some dealerships will fix the problem but make sure you point them specifically in this direction. Otherwise they will waste your time going into replacing parts.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:53 PM   #74
SubieChick05
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 191561
Vehicle:
2014 WRX
World Rally Blue

I made an appointment next week to get mine looked at.. Go figure it hasn't been making the noise now :-/
SubieChick05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #75
ejicon
Scooby Guru

Member#: 2452
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
08 2.5 WRX
WRB Mica

Finally emailed Subaru about this. Waiting to hear back from them.
ejicon is online now   Reply With Quote