Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday December 25, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2011, 12:03 AM   #51
Zachfeen
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 277479
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Diego
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
SWP

Default

One of us will do a 7500 UOA to be sure. I'll do it when I get the car
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Zachfeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:07 AM   #52
usfsfire42
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 242630
Join Date: Mar 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: .
Vehicle:
.. Flu shot
technician.

Default

I'm sure it will be fine, I just dont trust that. I guess the 3k change was ingrained(spelling) in me. I am a product of the machine
usfsfire42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:16 AM   #53
builthatch
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 185105
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: near the ocean, NJ
Vehicle:
2009 C63 AMG
Palladium Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by usfsfire42 View Post
I'm sure it will be fine, I just dont trust that. I guess the 3k change was ingrained(spelling) in me. I am a product of the machine
that's exactly what it is. generations and generations of people going with 3k. it's what was done with old school dino oil in hugely inefficient engines using old technology all the way around. it's rubbish now.

it's like in the detailing world...there is this stuff that a company called Optimum makes that allows you to wash your car safely using 2 gallons of water and an ounce or two of chemicals. no rinsing. just a nice microfiber and specific technique. well, some of the best detailers in the country (and the world) use this product, but you still have people, including customers of some of these very detailers, who just WILL NOT believe that it is safe. but it is. technology > *, it's just the way it is now.

Zachfeen, i'm going to as well. i don't think i'll do the initial, since i know it'll have incredibly high values from being new, but i'll definitely do the second OR third. by the third, that is usually what dictates my intervals from that point forward. and interestingly enough...the intervals dictated by blackstone by the third change, for me at least, have been about on par with the "regular" duty change interval for my vehicles. that is anecdotal, but that is how it has occurred for me so far.
builthatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:33 AM   #54
Pineapple Devil
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 261570
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Chattanooga
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Premium
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixwankel88 View Post
it states 7500 in ideal conditions, but 3750 in "severe conditions" which is defined by pretty much if you start your car and drive it on a daily basis, i feel that doing your oil change at 3k is cheap insurance, i work at a dealer and turbo motors are very moody to there oil changes or they like to go boom!
that is such a crock of ****. quit spewing that on this forum. just driving your car or "having a turbo on the motor" is nowhere near meeting those examples
Pineapple Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:36 AM   #55
Pineapple Devil
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 261570
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Chattanooga
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Premium
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoliver View Post
7500 is too long imo. At 3000 mine is down 1/4 quart and almost black. At 7500 I would be down more than a half quart.
sounds like you need to have it looked into. at 3k miles now my oil looks the light shade of brown it is supposed to and the oil level is fine
Pineapple Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:40 AM   #56
JasonC
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 170245
Join Date: Jan 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Greenville, SC
Vehicle:
'11 WRX Sedan
SSM

Default

Picked my car up yesterday ('11) and my dealer and I went over oil specifically and I've decided I'll do the change every 3,750 miles. Even the Subaru print out given to me recommended 3,750. Its a small price to pay, and I would rather lean on the cautious side than the other side.
JasonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:03 AM   #57
Pineapple Devil
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 261570
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Chattanooga
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Premium
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC View Post
Picked my car up yesterday ('11) and my dealer and I went over oil specifically and I've decided I'll do the change every 3,750 miles. Even the Subaru print out given to me recommended 3,750. Its a small price to pay, and I would rather lean on the cautious side than the other side.
the info in the old owner's manual, the online maintenance schedule, and some of the info the dealers have is now wrong and in the process of being changed. that's why we are receiving new information in the mail saying to throw away the old manuals. THE NEW STANDARD IS 7500 MILES/7.5 MONTHS OIL CHANGE INTERVALS WITH SUBARU SYNTHETIC OIL AND FILTER FOR CARS WITH NORMAL USE/WEAR
Pineapple Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:06 AM   #58
lickitysplitwrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 276859
Join Date: Mar 2011
Default

Regardless of what they specify I will be changing my own oil now at the normal 3k intervals now. Not only is it cheap insurance for the motor, it costs around 30 bucks to do, so why not do it?
lickitysplitwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:09 AM   #59
issueslude99
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 280335
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
WRB

Default

Caps mean its important. Recommended or not, is this argument really needed. People who want to change their oil sooner rather then later for peace of mind are going to regardless of what Subaru or people online say. Ive only been lookin at this forum for 2 months now and ive seen this fight 3 times lol.
issueslude99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:17 AM   #60
JasonC
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 170245
Join Date: Jan 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Greenville, SC
Vehicle:
'11 WRX Sedan
SSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Devil View Post
the info in the old owner's manual, the online maintenance schedule, and some of the info the dealers have is now wrong and in the process of being changed. that's why we are receiving new information in the mail saying to throw away the old manuals. THE NEW STANDARD IS 7500 MILES/7.5 MONTHS OIL CHANGE INTERVALS WITH SUBARU SYNTHETIC OIL AND FILTER FOR CARS WITH NORMAL USE/WEAR
AHHHHH - Now I see what the fuss is about. If Subaru sends me something saying I only need to change my oil every 7500 miles, then I'm good with that. I'll probably still change mine around the 5k mark.....
JasonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:24 AM   #61
jonklein611
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 117776
Join Date: Jun 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Moon Twp, PA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Limited 5dr
WR Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC View Post
AHHHHH - Now I see what the fuss is about. If Subaru sends me something saying I only need to change my oil every 7500 miles, then I'm good with that. I'll probably still change mine around the 5k mark.....


You should get yours in the mail, or your manual should be updated.
jonklein611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:36 PM   #62
Elusivellama
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 233834
Join Date: Dec 2009
Default

I'm surprised nobody asked how it is possible to suddenly double the oil change interval just because synthetic is now a requirement. Reading the above brochure, it's like Subaru is claiming to have 'suddenly' realized how much better synthetic is vs Dino oil, and that oil technology has 'only' just caught up with the times so, 'for the good of the customer' Subaru is looking out for your best interests by this requirement.

A quick search of google tells me that synthetic oil technology has been around since the '70s, if not earlier.

Another quick search yields results of 'conventional wisdom' about the benefits of synthetic oil vs Dino oil, and how oil change intervals can be greatly extended, which offsets the cost of synthetic which is often double that of normal oil. The theory is that you end up paying the same for synthetic oil changes in the long run, while your engine receives the benefit of synthetic during the period it's in your car.

Put 2 and 2 together, it's not hard to see where Subaru got it's 7500 mile oil change interval from.

The point is.... 7500 miles is too long for OCIs. synthetic is superior, but it still traps the same amount of dirt as Dino oil (or more) and it's not the oil that wears out, it's the additive package and filter. In my view, Subaru is banking on the doubled OCI to sway customers to use the more expensive synthetic. They're not necessarily looking out for YOUR best interests.


tldr: 7500 mile OCI + turbocharged engine = glhf ttyl

Last edited by Elusivellama; 05-26-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Elusivellama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:43 PM   #63
Bochet
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 155613
Join Date: Aug 2007
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Charleston, SC
Default

when bmw started including service, their intervals went up too. do you think that oil magically got better that month?

do whatever you want, i wouldn't be going 7500 miles between oil changes.

someone should take samples at 3K, 5K and 75.K and report back with blackstone's findings.
Bochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:49 PM   #64
jonklein611
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 117776
Join Date: Jun 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Moon Twp, PA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Limited 5dr
WR Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elusivellama View Post
I'm surprised nobody asked how it is possible to suddenly double the oil change interval just because synthetic is now a requirement. Reading the above brochure, it's like Subaru is claiming to have 'suddenly' realized how much better synthetic is vs Dino oil, and that oil technology has 'only' just caught up with the times so, 'for the good of the customer' Subaru is looking out for your best interests by this requirement.

A quick search of google tells me that synthetic oil technology has been around since the '70s, if not earlier.

Another quick search yields results of 'conventional wisdom' about the benefits of synthetic oil vs Dino oil, and how oil change intervals can be greatly extended, which offsets the cost of synthetic which is often double that of normal oil. The theory is that you end up paying the same for synthetic oil changes in the long run, while your engine receives the benefit of synthetic during the period it's in your car.

Put 2 and 2 together, it's not hard to see where Subaru got it's 7500 mile oil change interval from.

The point is....synthetic is superior, but it still traps the same amount of dirt as Dino oil (or more) and it's not the oil that wears out, it's the additive package and filter. In my view, Subaru is banking on the doubled OCI to sway customers to use the more expensive synthetic. They're not necessarily looking out for YOUR best interests.


tldr: 7500 mile OCI + turbocharged engine = glhf ttyl
This has been voiced in the other 500 2011 Synthetic oil OCI threads.

Also remember that these minimum OCIs are designed by the engineering staff for the lowest common denominator (I'll call them Cletus). Engineers LOVE safety factors, and I would assume that given the right oil the actual "limiting" OCI is more along the lines of 10,000 miles or so.

Think about it, the 3,750 OCI was only required because for previous years you were allowed to run non synthetic. They had to base their OCI on what Cletus would do (use a non synthetic, minimum spec oil). Now that synthetic is a requirement, they can safely bump the OCI up because Cletus has to follow their rules (if he want warranty claims to hold up).

I for one am glad that the OCI got bumped up. It's 2011, I think you can go a lot further than 3,750 on an oil change.

yeesh
jonklein611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:29 PM   #65
Elusivellama
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 233834
Join Date: Dec 2009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonklein611 View Post
This has been voiced in the other 500 2011 Synthetic oil OCI threads.

Also remember that these minimum OCIs are designed by the engineering staff for the lowest common denominator (I'll call them Cletus). Engineers LOVE safety factors, and I would assume that given the right oil the actual "limiting" OCI is more along the lines of 10,000 miles or so.
I would also say that the lowered OCI is insurance against different environmental factors beyond the control of the Cletii, not just their ignorance levels.

Quote:
Think about it, the 3,750 OCI was only required because for previous years you were allowed to run non synthetic. They had to base their OCI on what Cletus would do (use a non synthetic, minimum spec oil). Now that synthetic is a requirement, they can safely bump the OCI up because Cletus has to follow their rules (if he want warranty claims to hold up).
I'm not really disagreeing with your view. I just have an issue with the amount of bumping up that Subaru deems safe for a turbo car. I would have expected a increase from 3750 to 5000. Remember that they're also took into account the natural behavior of Cletus to whine about having to pay even more for a synthetic oil change. The difference between OCIs of 3750 and 5000 is not as much of an incentive compared to a 2x increase from 3750 to 7500.

Quote:
I for one am glad that the OCI got bumped up. It's 2011, I think you can go a lot further than 3,750 on an oil change.

yeesh
I think 3750 is too short, and I never said that it was what I'd do. 5000 is more reasonable for me.

There is no reason why we, as educated consumers, can't exercise some of the prudence that is inherent in safety margins. The difference is an extra oil change a year assuming two 7500m oil changes vs three 5000m oil changes.

Last edited by Elusivellama; 05-26-2011 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Failquote
Elusivellama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #66
Snowphun
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 1800
Join Date: Jul 2000
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Way South Shore MA
Vehicle:
WRX /WRX/Cooper S
awd/awd/fwd

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nti_hazard88
This isn't sarcastic - why is it that people automatically assume that stop-and-go is automatically "extreme" driving conditions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonklein611 View Post
It's not what people assume. It's what Subaru tells you is considered extreme driving.

**Examples of Severe Driving Conditions:
a. Repeated short distance driving.
b. [not for oil changes]
c. Driving in dusty conditions.
d. Driving in extremely cold weather.
e. [not for oil changes]
f. [not for oil changes]
g. Towing a trailer.
A bit late to the party, but this post needs clarification. None of the listed "extreme driving" criteria include stop and go traffic.
Snowphun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:12 PM   #67
mikerulzu
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 247774
Join Date: May 2010
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: SF, CA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
DGM

Default

People can argue all they want on the Internet. I'm sending my oil after 6k for a UOA from Blackstone. I'll post it when i get it back. Using 5w30 Amsoil synthetic on my 11 WRX with 16k miles. Just changed in some Motul 5w30 since the guy down the street has it.
mikerulzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:54 AM   #68
gsrcrxsi
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 236952
Join Date: Jan 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Baltimore
Vehicle:
2010 WRX (SSM)
Stg "2+" 300hp/360trq

Default

sooooo

whats the difference between the 2011 engine and the 2009-2010? i was under the assumption the answer was nothing.

yet 3750 is still the recommended interval for 09-10s.

eh, what do i care. ive never payed to change the oil in my car. i get all oil changes free for as long as i own the car. and the dealer will let me do it as early as 3000 flat, i dont even have to wait til 3750. 37k on the car now, ive had changes every 3000-3500 miles. each time with synth blend and a new filter.
gsrcrxsi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:00 AM   #69
Zachfeen
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 277479
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Diego
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrcrxsi View Post
sooooo

whats the difference between the 2011 engine and the 2009-2010? i was under the assumption the answer was nothing.

yet 3750 is still the recommended interval for 09-10s.

eh, what do i care. ive never payed to change the oil in my car. i get all oil changes free for as long as i own the car. and the dealer will let me do it as early as 3000 flat, i dont even have to wait til 3750. 37k on the car now, ive had changes every 3000-3500 miles. each time with synth blend and a new filter.

Subaru requires synthetic on 2011's and not on 08's and 09's. Synthetic lasts longer than dino
Zachfeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:05 AM   #70
T4L_09WRX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 217874
Join Date: Jul 2009
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Lompoc CA
Default

did something change for engine internals between 2010 and 2011? j/w
T4L_09WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:56 AM   #71
Zachfeen
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 277479
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Diego
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
SWP

Default

Not that I know of
Zachfeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:58 AM   #72
builthatch
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 185105
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: near the ocean, NJ
Vehicle:
2009 C63 AMG
Palladium Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerulzu View Post
People can argue all they want on the Internet. I'm sending my oil after 6k for a UOA from Blackstone. I'll post it when i get it back. Using 5w30 Amsoil synthetic on my 11 WRX with 16k miles. Just changed in some Motul 5w30 since the guy down the street has it.
exactly.
builthatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:34 AM   #73
jddssc121
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 253302
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle
Vehicle:
2011 G37x

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4L_09WRX View Post
did something change for engine internals between 2010 and 2011? j/w
yes.

Someone posted the details on one of the other 1,000 threads about 2011 oil requirements.... I'm too lazy to dig it up.
jddssc121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:10 PM   #74
T4L_09WRX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 217874
Join Date: Jul 2009
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Lompoc CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jddssc121 View Post
yes.

Someone posted the details on one of the other 1,000 threads about 2011 oil requirements.... I'm too lazy to dig it up.
right on, i haven't been on here in a while. i'm about to hit 20K so i'll be switching to synthetic too.
T4L_09WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:45 PM   #75
jonklein611
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 117776
Join Date: Jun 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Moon Twp, PA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Limited 5dr
WR Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowphun View Post
A bit late to the party, but this post needs clarification. None of the listed "extreme driving" criteria include stop and go traffic.
I'm just quoting what Subaru considers extreme driving. If it's not on the list, it's not on the list.
jonklein611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My 2011 WRX violently vibrates on the highway... Wanna go for a ride? chanomatik Alaskan Impreza Club Forum -- AKIC 31 02-22-2011 04:06 PM
FS : FS in PA: 2011 WRX 5 door Suspension only 1,500 miles!!! Jaker Suspension/Brakes/Handling 7 02-14-2011 09:21 PM
7,500 mile oil change interval? kraynek Newbies & FAQs 31 08-09-2007 02:31 PM
Selling 10 qts AMSOIL 25,000 mile synth, + 2 AMSOIL super duty 7,500 mile Oil Filters ImprezaRS dot com Rocky Mountains Impreza Club Forum -- RMIC 0 10-31-2000 07:04 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.