Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday September 25, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Member's Car Gallery

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-14-2016, 07:21 AM   #1
TheMileHighWRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 70115
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
SWP

Default Sarah's 2013 WRX build

Figured I should post one of these seeing as things are starting to get serious with a motor build.

But let's start at the beginning.

Bought her brand new in May of 2013 with 11 miles on the clock. When I got it, I swore to myself I would keep it stock till the factory warranty was up.

First mod was Nameless catback with mid-pipe and resonator, and 3M red overlays to get rid of those awful white stock taillights. Apologies for not having pics of the catback.

The catback kept me happy for about 3 months. Then a friend of mine was parting out his '13 WRX to return to stock and thus the Accessport happened. It was all downhill, very quickly, once I had the Accessport.

Intake was first:

Within 3 months I had Grimmspeed DP, DW65C, Process West TMIC, Grimmspeed EBCS, Turbosmart BPV, and a pro-tune.

Now that I had some power, I needed to bring the suspension up to par. Next up were RCE Tarmac Zero coilovers, front and rear Eibach swaybars, and Cusco STB (more for looks, but who doesn't love some JDM goodness?)

From there, I started to get back into autocross and tracking (used to autocross in my '03 bugeye with VF34). Spent one day at the track with my stock brakes, and less than a month later, you can imagine what I was doing.

Current mod list prior to motor build:

Engine:
Accessport V3 w/ Protune (tuned by Circuit Motorsports)
Grimmspeed catted DP w/ Cobb turbo heatshield
Nameless catback exhaust w/ 3" midpipe and resonator
Turbosmart recirculating BPV
DW65c fuel pump
ID1000 top feed fuel injectors
Cobb SF intake
Process West TMIC
Grimmspeed EBCS
Mishimoto X-Line (3 core) radiator
Perrin Setrab oil cooler
Perrin pitch stop mount
Circuit Motorsports clutch master cylinder brace
Grimmspeed master cylinder brace
Beatrush aluminum cooling undertray
Perrin brake fluid reservoir koozie (best mod on the car)

Suspension/brakes:
RCE Tarmac Zero coilovers
Cusco front strut tower bar
Cusco rear lateral links (camber adjustable)
Cusco front pillow ball upper mounts (camber adjustable)
Eibach adjustable 22mm rear swaybar
Eibach adjustable 25mm front swaybar
Kartboy front and rear endlinks
Brembo Gran Turismo big brake kit (4 piston front calipers, 2 piston rear calipers, SS brake lines, slotted Brembo rotors)

Drivetrain:
ACT HDSS clutch w/ ACT Streetlite flywheel
Moore blast plates

Autocross wheels/tires: Kosei K6R's 17x8 w/ Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Specs
Daily wheels/tires: Enkei TS9 18x9.5 +45 w/ Continental DWS06 265/35/18
Winter/snow tires: stock wheels w/ 5mm spacer, Bridgestone Blizzak 235/40/17
Black Rays lugnuts

Exterior:
Rallyarmor UR mudflaps
Lamin-x tail light covers
OEM roof racks w/ Yakima Forklift front fork bike racks
HPT Motorsports CS style front lip
Custom painted/blacked headlight housings
Orion v4 LED 105mm angel eyes
Morimoto Elite 5000K HID retrofit w/ TSX-R clear lenses
6000k LED fog lights
6000k LED rear plate lights

Interior:
2012 STi front and rear seats
2012 STi shifter trim swap
SMY Cluster Maker dual 52mm gauge pod
Defi Oil Pressure gauge
AEM UEGO Wideband controller

Last edited by TheMileHighWRX; 08-14-2016 at 07:40 AM.
TheMileHighWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2016, 07:21 AM   #2
TheMileHighWRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 WRX
SWP

Now that I had power, suspension, and brakes, I started to focus on aesthetics.
Orion v4 LED halos, Morimoto HID conversion, and STi front and rear seat swap (thanks to my friends at SGUAP for the pics and awesome deal on the seats):

I wasn't getting as much negative camber as I wanted for my autocross/track alignments, so added Cusco front camber plates and Cusco rear lateral links:

As the summer wore on and I kept tracking, I knew I needed to add some cooling items. Mishimoto X-line radiator and Perrin Setrab oil cooler were next:

As always happens... eventually 93 octane wasn't enough power for me. Next came ID1000's and E85.

Last edited by TheMileHighWRX; 08-14-2016 at 07:27 AM.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:21 AM   #3
TheMileHighWRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 WRX
SWP

But what's a racecar without gauges? AEM wideband, Defi oil pressure, and SMY cluster maker were next. It's shameful, but I had the gauges for 4 months before I installed them.

I got tired of the 17x8 Enkei Tenjins, and decided I wanted a more aggressive setup for my dailies. Enkei TS9 18x9.5 with 265/35/18 Continental DWS. I absolutely love how the car looks with these.

And some random autocross and tracking pictures. I was pretty happy with where the car was at at this point.

I moved back to Colorado in May of this year. Had the car shipped to save on wear and tear.

And now that we're all caught up.... I started a new job and got hosed working just about every weekend, so took a hiatus from tracking after relocating. I saw a Track Night In America event for $75 and couldn't resist. I was SO stoked to get on track again at High Plains Raceway.

Got about 3 laps in at HPR and the car died from overheating. Luckily I was on an uphill hairpin (and not going 115mph+ on the long straight), so I was able to coast the car to a controlled stop. No body damage whatsoever.

Coolant temps were 246F, car threw a P0117 code. Let the coolant get down to 190F and attempted to start, totally dead.

Put car in 5th gear and tried to roll it forward, absolutely nothing. I knew then the motor was ****ed.

I have never cried so much over an inanimate object in my life. Truly, it's pathetic. I held it together at the track and on the tow to the shop. Lost it like a little bitch when I got home and saw the empty garage and my Enkeis.

Teardown revealed seized piston, which I expected. Thankfully the block is good and the heads are salvageable.

So what was the culprit? An $11 radiator thermostat/valve that got stuck partially closed causing the car to overheat. Absolutely the last thing I would have expected to cause the motor to fail. Just goes to show you can do everything right (except failsafe thermostat and keeping an eye on my goddamn coolant temps, amirite) and **** still happens - truly a freak accident. But you have to pay to play.

So she is getting a complete rebuild. Porting and polishing, ARP head studs, motor mounts, Manley pistons and rods, crank, GSC cams, timing belt/tensioners, water pump, Cosworth oil pump and Killer B oil pan/pickup/baffle. I'll be keeping the VF52 on there for now (assuming it's not toasted either), until I do the transmission swap sometime next year.

Last edited by TheMileHighWRX; 08-14-2016 at 07:38 AM.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:22 AM   #4
TheMileHighWRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 WRX
SWP

reserved for future updates
Old 08-14-2016, 07:26 AM   #5
TheMileHighWRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 WRX
SWP

reserrrrrved
Old 08-14-2016, 07:28 AM   #6
TheMileHighWRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 WRX
SWP

saved
Old 08-14-2016, 10:33 AM   #7
tehShirt
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 419360
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2014 WRX
Ice Silver Metallic

Nice log and your car looks great! No shame in crying over a blown engine, I know I would. On the bright side, that engine build sure does sound nice. Who is doing your engine work?
tehShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:02 AM   #8
DGM7rex
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 395340
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
WRX

Sweet can't wait for updates , sucks about the motor
DGM7rex is offline   Reply With Quote