Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday July 11, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Legacy Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:09 AM   #101
PHATsuby
Scooby Guru

Member#: 13617
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2001 Legacy GT back
to stock is a project too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscon_Mark View Post
It's getting close to cold season....hope you have a heated garage if it comes to it!

(as I remember, you did when you did the H6 project)
lol, thanks for the helpful reminder Mark. No I don't have a heated garage, just a propane heater with a propane tank, which is not ideal. I know these 80 degree October days will be gone after mid week but I hope we can hold mid 50's till I'm done.

I'll remain optimistic that I never reach that point.

Ben
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
PHATsuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:31 PM   #102
PHATsuby
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 Legacy GT back

well, naturally didn't get the car started. Just didn't have time with all the family functions(which was the real reason I was at home). I got a bunch of random things accomplished which inches me closer to being finished.

I picked up the Baja gas pedal and bracket on Friday. It is good I got the pedal because it was needed to put the pedal in the correct position. Sadly I wasted about 1.5 hours trying to get the STi pedal off the STi assembly to put on the Baja assembly. After I got the STi pedal off and started on the Baja one it was also being difficult so I said it wasn't even necessary and just moved on. The position as it sits is too low in relation to the brake so I will use a couple washers to move it up and hopefully it will help the ability to heel toe. Yes it really bothers me that they don't match.

Did a bunch of random things in the engine bay: tightened down the intake manifold/TGV's, hooked up the brake master cylinder and clutch master cylinder, installed the front 02, put on a new oil filter, put on the drivers side TMIC bracket so it sits level, etc

started on installing the fuel pump but ran into an issue. The thing is huge. It had been a while since I had seen my old Supra fuel pump but this is definitely larger.

Here you can see the issue, the plastic will bow out a little but not enough to accomadate. So I have to either get a stock STi fuel pump and hope it works or cut some of the plastic to use the upgraded Supra pump. I'll have to deal with that next time.

I got the interior wiring more permanently mounted. I swapped out the clutch switch sensor to the correct one. I ended up having to get a new STi ecu which I have and am keeping in plain sight so it doesn't go missing...

I need to decide where to put the fuel pump controller and how to wire it, I'll likely look at that this week.

Disappointed that I didn't get it started but I knew it would be hard to find the time. Looks like I'll be buying a new propane heater so I can keep working in the garage during the cold months...

Ben
Old 10-24-2011, 10:54 PM   #103
Wiscon_Mark
Scooby Guru

Member#: 94945
Vehicle:
1995 Legacy OB 5MT
2003 Forester X 5MT

Keep the STi ECU in a pink box! It looks like the weather might hold for a little bit longer, but yeah, who can count on November?
Wiscon_Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:04 PM   #104
STIdarkside
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 222527
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2013 Forester XT
Ice Silver Metallic

Can't wait to see the stance with the STI springs and Bilstein HD's...

Any new progress?
STIdarkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:29 PM   #105
PHATsuby
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 Legacy GT back

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIdarkside View Post
Can't wait to see the stance with the STI springs and Bilstein HD's...

Any new progress?
No progress, didn't go down to do any work last weekend. Only progress to report is that I bought a STi fuel pump to use last week so I'll be able to install that this weekend. I'm really expecting to be able to start the car this weekend. I should have all the parts to do it so keep your fingers crossed...

Goal for the weekend is just to get the car running, then the following weekend get everything else finished to be able to drive it. With any luck I can pull it off.

Ben
Old 11-04-2011, 10:26 PM   #106
rougeben83
Scooby Guru

Member#: 115154
Vehicle:
2003 Legacy L Turbo
silver

Always look forward to all your updates Ben!
rougeben83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:54 PM   #107
PHATsuby
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 Legacy GT back

Strike Two. Failed again.

I made some progress this weekend but did not reach the final goal(sounds like a broken record). I would have ended up being rushed to try and get it started and would have had to plug everything in temporarily to test and I figured I should just re-install everything because anything I would need to change I can access anyways.

I installed the STi fuel pump, goes in with no issues as I had been told by others, too bad I didn't go that route the first time...oh well.

I also got the fuel pump controller wired and this took a decent amount longer than anticipated because I wasn't totally sure on how I should do it. I assume I did it correctly but I won't know until I get it started and go driving. I ended up keeping the legacy rear harness and just ran 2 wires from what should be the fuel pump + and - up front to the controller.

This was kind of a side project but I finished putting the two clusters together and it is now a single unit. I just need to get my overlay cutout and it should look pretty much OEM. I used some stuff called Apoxie Sculpt to secure it in there. Think of clay but that is a two part epoxy and dries hard. I think I'll need to sand down the back a little but I"m pretty happy how solid it is and how it turned out.

I started to reassemble the interior after I decided I was going to go that route. it is starting to look like it could be a car again.

Pretty much OEM. I installed the a/c condensor and radiator to get them into place. I also test fit the air box to make sure I was routing the wiring correctly. the air scoop is from a WRX and is a little short so I will likely look for a baja one this week.

Found a Cusco heat shield laying around so I figure I'll use that. Looks pretty good and will function, its good since I didn't have a stock one to use.

I made a couple discoveries. I need to wire in the STi speedo sensor plug since it is different from the Baja. I also need to wire in the legacy wiper motor plug as that is different as well. I believe that will be the extent of the wiring. Pretty sweet to do a full swap and only have to solder 14 wires. Not including the cluster obviously because that really isn't necessary.

At this rate I'm gonna stop making predictions lol and just get it finished when it's done. It sucks because it was nice this weekend and now will be about 15 degrees colder next weekend. I got an electric heater that did nothing so I'll have to get the propane one like I planned for next time.

Ben
Old 11-10-2011, 01:24 PM   #108
Tri-it82
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 295206

The interior looks like a hot mess! Did you test to see if the instrument cluster will attach correctly? How long after completion and testing, etc will you wait before flashing the ECU?
Tri-it82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #109
Wiscon_Mark
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
1995 Legacy OB 5MT
2003 Forester X 5MT

The electric heaters don't do much in an uninsulated garage when it gets below 45*

I feel your pain.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:43 PM   #110
PHATsuby
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 Legacy GT back

Strike Three. Time to part it out. Jk.

Once again I failed to get it to the point of starting. A stripped torx bolt on the steering wheel in the 11th hour forced me to stop and pissed me off to a point where I needed to stop

I did accomplish quite a bit though. It was all little things but I am A LOT closer now. I did not appreciate all the things you have to do when basically rebuilding a car.

The engine bay is almost totally finished. I had to go through and make sure all the sensors were plugged in, had to reconnect all the coolant and pcv/vacuum lines and had to look up to make sure I would putting the correct lines in the correct places. Installed the power steering lines and got that all hooked up. Got the starter installed and hooked up, wired in the STi speedo sensor as the plug was different than the Baja. I also filled up the tranny with OEM Extra S tranny fluid. Did I mention how much I hate the smell?

I ended up having to run taps through a bunch of bolt holes that hadn't been used in a while to make them usable. I hooked the boost control solenoid vacuum lines all up and even found a way to use the OEM bracket. It should look pretty much factory when I'm done which is my goal. But the biggest goal is to have it run like factory.

Out with the old and in with the new. I spent friday evening soldering and wrapping and swapping the dash harness. Let's hope I have the cluster wired correctly...

Here is what it should look like when I'm done. Sweet. I still need to drill the holes in my legacy plastic cover for the cluster knobs and then I can put the cover on it.

The cluster was not sitting down and I discovered why. The two recessed portions on the OEM cluster has been filled in with the apoxie sculpt. This is annoying but hopefully with some dremeling I can get it to sit down flush into it's spot.

I like this shot, it is so close. I need to put oil and coolant in the engine, hook the fuel lines up, bleed the clutch, wire in the rear 02 sensor and the engine bay should be complete.

I got the interior a bit closer as well. I got the HVAC completely bolted in and put the dash bar back in preparation to put the dash in. Before I put the dash in I wanted to re-install the steering column and take the steering wheel off which is where I ran into that issue of the stripped torx. It is my fault it stripped but it's really annoying to have it happen at a critical juncture. I will have to find one of those extractors now and see if I can get it out.

Again weather was ideal for this time of year. Unfortunately the next time I can work on it is Thanksgiving break so I'm sure it will be much colder by that time. I got a new thermocouple for my propane heater so hopefully it will work but I didn't get a chance to install it. I didn't want to waste time on it while it was nice out.

Let's hope it's all this attention to detail is worth it in the end.

Ben

Last edited by PHATsuby; 11-13-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:20 PM   #111
STIdarkside
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 Forester XT
Ice Silver Metallic

Very curious... where did you find the Baja Turbo harness and how did you get a brand new one?

If one wasn't going to change the gauge cluster, wouldn't the sti ecu plug and play into the harness? What other wiring would then be needed?

Thanks keep up the great work... dying to see the finished project and you're review of the sti pinks/ bilstein hds. Why did you cut the bump stop internal.to the spring?

Thanks
Old 11-16-2011, 12:56 PM   #112
PHATsuby
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 Legacy GT back

Quote:
Very curious... where did you find the Baja Turbo harness and how did you get a brand new one?

If one wasn't going to change the gauge cluster, wouldn't the sti ecu plug and play into the harness? What other wiring would then be needed?

Thanks keep up the great work... dying to see the finished project and you're review of the sti pinks/ bilstein hds. Why did you cut the bump stop internal.to the spring?

Thanks
I got the new harness from the dealer. You are correct if you kept the stock cluster it would be plug and play and only require basically 6 wires for the fuel pump controller to work(if you are going from a legacy GT).

I specifically bought a 2004 baja harness to go with the 04 STi ecu. I am not sure if they made any changes to subsequent years but I wanted to get the matching year because I assumed it would be most likely the same as they switch some wiring around on the ecus on the 05 sti compared to the 04 so the 04 ecu's can't start the 05's without doing some rewiring to avoid easily stolen cars.

In regards to the suspension, there is debate on whether or not cutting the bumpstop is necessary. The theory is that since you are using lowering springs you lose suspension travel so to gain that travel back you cut the stop down so it doesn't bottom out before full travel. People have not cut theirs and said they have never hit the bump stops(it should only really hit it on a very hard bump). I spoke to Dave at rallispec(where I got the springs) since he sets up rally cars and such and he said he typically cuts them. It wasn't too difficult so I just cut them down 1/2" to gain some travel back but not the full amount.

hope that helps.

Ben
Old 11-16-2011, 03:13 PM   #113
STIdarkside
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 Forester XT
Ice Silver Metallic

If possible when you are all done, could you create a parts list of everything needed to make the swap. I know myself and others would greatly appreciate it and find it extremely.valuable.

On a side note, I have a 01 legacy l sedan, auto. Would you see any issues with swapping to a Baja Turbo manual harness and etc?

Thanks
Old 11-16-2011, 03:34 PM   #114
PHATsuby
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 Legacy GT back

Quote:
If possible when you are all done, could you create a parts list of everything needed to make the swap. I know myself and others would greatly appreciate it and find it extremely.valuable.

On a side note, I have a 01 legacy l sedan, auto. Would you see any issues with swapping to a Baja Turbo manual harness and etc?

Thanks
Sure, someone on Sl-i net asked for a list too.

Don't use the manual harness unless you are swapping to manual. If you are keeping auto then get an auto baja harness. If you are going to a 6mt though get the manual harness, my car was auto previously so I technically went from the auto harness to the manual harness with no issues.

Ben
Old 11-26-2011, 01:21 AM   #115
PHATsuby
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 Legacy GT back

Well it is inching along towards the finish. Still have not started it, been dealing with other stupid things. There is oil in the engine and tranny, I wll put coolant in the engine tomorrow as well.

I discovered that I actually already had the rear 02 hooked up, it was the neutral and reverse switch plug that I don't have because on the STi they group it into a 6 wire plug and run it straight through the firewall. So I need to track down a turbo 5mt harness plug.

Also just discovered that there were a couple plugs hiding by the turbo underneath the manifold, got one out but the other will not move and it looks like the reason is that one of the wires is pinched under the intake manifold.

It is starting to resemble an interior again now that I have the dash back in. The wires still aren't all hooked up but there are more hooked up than before. some of the stuff on the baja must either be in different places or the new harness is bundled wrong as some of the plugs seem like they are not going to reach where they need to be.

Hopefully I can look at this while I'm actually driving the car soon... I got the STi steering wheel installed and just as a future note for anyone wanting to do this, just swap the whole column, it will be WAY easier. There are a couple things that don't quite work but should be fine in terms of the signal stalk bolting on the legacy column. I am also crossing my fingers that my clockspring is ok, I am concerned I over rotated it before properly setting it. That would be another pain in my ass I'd need to fix.

I have 2 of 3 fuel lines hooked up, I need to go get a barb to connect the return line tomorrow then I'll actually have the ability to get fuel to the motor haha, just one more step towards the finish.

On a positive note I fixed my propane heater by replacing the thermocouple on it so now I will have heat for tomorrow when it gets a lot colder outside.

I'm at the point where I want to just be done but I don't want to rush it just to finish. Ultimately I need to be done by Jan 1 because I will start studying for the CFA again so all car projects must cease.

That's it for now, hopefully I can get more stuff done tomorrow.

Ben
Old 11-27-2011, 10:16 PM   #116
PHATsuby
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 Legacy GT back

Here is the culprit:

For some odd reason this thing just would not come out from under the manifold, it probably took 45 mins to get it free. My main concern was not letting it get cut and fall into the intake port or avoid shaving any of the sheath or wiring into the port as well. Besides the pinched portion I'm pretty sure it is fine so that is not all bolted back down and the two plugs are free and plugged in to their correct location.

I need to order a differential plug socket for the rear diff so I can fill it with diff fluid.

The list I have left to do is long but a majority of it is nothing super complicated just things like bleeding brakes, filling the diff, tightening bolts. The more involved is getting the suspension all bolted together and aligned and plugging all the connectors in where they need to be.

I need to source that plug for my neutral and reverse position switch. I also need to solder in the front ABS sensor plugs onto the baja harness. I looked into just buying baja front abs sensors but they are like $120 a piece so I said F that!

At this point I'm not sure if I'll be down next weekend or wait till the following weekend. Needless to say I'll have to have the heater working overtime haha.

Ben
Old 12-04-2011, 11:56 PM   #117
PHATsuby
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 Legacy GT back

Well, I was hoping to have some good news to report but unfortunately I don't. I did get a decent amount accomplished this weekend. The full rear end of the car is basically finished. I still need to bleed brakes but the rear diff is filled with fluid, the axles are popped in, driveshaft bolts are tight, the brakes are tightened and the lines are tightened as well. I ordered the KTC 13mm diff plug socket and even though it's pretty damn expensive for a socket it is definitely handy for dealing with the diff plugs especially a seized one like mine.

I could basically set it on the ground in the back but I'm going to wait obviously until I bleed to brakes and get everything going first. Looks pretty good though I think.

The actual work in the garage wasn't too bad thanks to the propane heater. A balmy 66 degrees, it was probably on average around 55-60 degrees.

Propane heaters do not have 100% combustion so carbon monoxide will build up over time in closed areas. Be very careful if you use one in a closed garage. For safety I took the carbon monoxide detector from our house and put it in the garage. It's likely hard to rear but this read 42 PPM which was about the highest it ever got. Studies have exposed workers to about 44 PPM for 8 hour days with no real issue, however it would be better if there was no exposure obviously. Typically it read 0 and if it ever built up I would turn it off and open a window for circulation. That is the lesson for today.

So I was all excited and hopeful I was going to be able to start the car right before I had to head back to the cities. As you can see the main fusebox is now in place and hooked up. I loosely put the TMIC in there and connected the PCV system just to eliminate that as causing a problem.

I hooked up the battery and noticed the rear tail lights were on, that was odd. After the fact I think I figured it out and this photo confirms it, the parking light button was on. I'm hopeful that was the only issue.

So I turn the key and immediately I notice there is no illumination on the cluster and no sweep or mileage/outside temp, goddammit. Oh well, it should still at least start if it's all good. Nope, I put the clutch in and turn the key and nothing happens. At that point I was pissed and confused. Originally I was thinking maybe there was no check engine light which would mean power is not getting to the ecu but I believe there little symbol above the coolant temp is the check engine on this cluster. The only positive is that I have all the other signals lighting up in comparing it to this pic:

So now I'm left wondering what the issue is with both the cluster and the wiring. The cluster concerns me less because worst case I can run a baja cluster for now even though I really don't want to. The car acted like there is either no starter relay or the ignition wires are not hooked up. Both are a possibility as not everything is totally connected but I thought I had all systems hooked up that needed to be for it to run.

Sadly this will likely have to wait until Christmas break to be looked at. Better stock up on propane...

Ben
Old 12-05-2011, 06:26 PM   #118
Wiscon_Mark
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
1995 Legacy OB 5MT
2003 Forester X 5MT

Yeah, I used one of those propane heaters in my garage and it's not too bad. Good info on the PPM #s though. I didn't know that.

Sad to see that it's not all together yet, but you're almost there!
Old 12-06-2011, 08:33 AM   #119
PHATsuby
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 Legacy GT back

So I looked over the harness components and I'm fairly confident that I just do not have the starter relay hooked up in the harness but I thought I had transferred all I had from my old harness so I need to look at that. This would obviously prevent it from starting and would cause exactly the issue I had.

In regards to the cluster I Still haven't gotten a real UK wiring diagram, however I looked over the wiring diagrams and tried to get photos of my notes from home but they were all crappy. I believe I was able to at least determine that I have some issues with grounds.

In looking at the STi and Baja diagrams the grounds are just not really labeled and I was just matching up the same labeled components. So I'm hoping that if I just add a few grounds to the system they will work. Seems plausible but I'm sure it won't be that easy for me...

I also discovered that the prodrive gauges don't sweep so at least that was never an issue haha.

Ben
Old 12-08-2011, 01:37 PM   #120
rougeben83
Scooby Guru

Member#: 115154
Vehicle:
2003 Legacy L Turbo
silver

if its any consolation, that light above the coolant gauge is indeed the check engine light...
rougeben83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:56 PM   #121
RooTBeeRthe1st
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 303525
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
'05 LGT Ltd 5EAT
Atlantic Blue Pearl

Just finished reading through the build.

Looks like it will be a lot of fun when its all done, looking forward to some updates in a few weeks.
RooTBeeRthe1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:16 PM   #122
PHATsuby
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 Legacy GT back

thanks guys, I'm looking forward to it as well.

I happened to stumble across a post over on rs25.com and he was having a swap starting issue that he traced back to his clutch switch. I am glad I saw this because it may be possible I have the same issue and instead of putting the clutch to the floor to try and start I just don't touch it and it may start lol. If this is the case I believe I can just swap my current switch out for the STi switch and it should solve the issue.

This will be the first thing to test since it will be the easiest:

Step 1: Do nothing
Step 2: Turn Key
Step 3: Hope for Profit

I will get back down the 22nd so I'll try it then.

Another small victory was that I found the A/C line I needed from a salvage Baja and the firewall plug that the dealer couldn't locate in the parts catalog.

Ben
Old 12-15-2011, 11:04 PM   #123
DLC
out back

Member#: 1964
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
01 BH
Blue/Bronze

Mega build.
DLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:21 AM   #124
STIdarkside
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 Forester XT
Ice Silver Metallic

Can't wait to find out if you got it running.

I have been dying to see what type of.drop you got with the sti pinks and bilsteins. If you could provide a couple.pics, some height measurements (edge of fender to ground), and ride impressions once you get her running I would be extremely grateful.

This has to be my favorite build of all time!
Old 12-22-2011, 12:22 PM   #125
atasnailspace
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 176626
Chapter/Region: International

Any christmas updates?
atasnailspace is online now   Reply With Quote