Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday October 2, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Interior & Exterior Modification

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 01:20 PM   #1
satrya
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 5887
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Fremont, CA USA
Vehicle:
2002 GDAA
797

Default Finally, matching Boost & Clock gauges for bugeye imprezas (green #s & yellow needle)

Other than Lamco boost gauge, ISSPro Enhanced Visibility series is the only line I can find that can match bugeye impreza's color pattern: white dials & numbers with yellow needle when unlit; green dials with yellow needle when lit.

They need a simple recoloring mod from the all-white color pattern they come with.


From this (2 gauges on the left)


To this:







The yellow ring around the gauge normally doesn't show up with the bezel that came with the gauge. Replacing it with a custom bezel that has a slightly larger inner diameter exposes some diffuse ring of light.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
satrya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:30 PM   #2
ben_art
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 172635
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Laguna Beach, CA
Vehicle:
2003 WRX Wagon
PSM

Default

close up shot of clock pod gauges inset? a write up?
ben_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
03boxer4
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 66622
Join Date: Jul 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Springfield, MO
Vehicle:
2002 WRB wrx
BRZ in the works

Default

looks good...

but you do all of that and dont even buy a clean way to mount the dang thing?
03boxer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
satrya
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 5887
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Fremont, CA USA
Vehicle:
2002 GDAA
797

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_art View Post
close up shot of clock pod gauges inset? a write up?
You mean the trim area where the analog clock is mounted? I had a thread with pictures many years ago that shows the DIY process. I've lost the pictures of it. I can take new ones of the finished trim. Not sure if that's what you're looking for.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 03boxer4 View Post
looks good...

but you do all of that and dont even buy a clean way to mount the dang thing?
Thx.
Mount what exactly? The boost gauge and clock are both mounted.
satrya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #5
satrya
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 5887
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Fremont, CA USA
Vehicle:
2002 GDAA
797

Default

Bugeye owners; other than the red needle / dials mod, or using the Lamco boost gauge, what aftermarket gauges have you used that match the green/yellow/white color scheme?

Side pictures of how the gauges are mounted.

Boost/vac is on a DIY pod that latches onto the tachometer bezel (also DIY). The bezel for the boost/vac gauge is a DIY.


Clock is on a pod that is epoxied onto a DIY faceplate with round vents. The faceplate is made of sheet metal, mounted the same way as the stock vent faceplate. The hazard button is relocated to the blank USDM panel (business card / toll card holder in the JDM version?). The bezel for the clock is from an autoGage boost gauge.
satrya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
blessthekellen
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 273859
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Alberta.
Vehicle:
MY98
WRX

Default

nice creativity, but poor execution on installation.
blessthekellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:47 PM   #7
satrya
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 5887
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Fremont, CA USA
Vehicle:
2002 GDAA
797

Default

Thanks.
satrya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:47 PM   #8
Drowner
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 49297
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Bristol, RI
Vehicle:
09 WRX
09 ZX6R

Default

The closeups do not do those any favors.
Drowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
ppayer38
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 234407
Join Date: Jan 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Smithfield, VA
Vehicle:
04 Self-tooned
STi

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrya
Bugeye owners; other than the red needle / dials mod, or using the Lamco boost gauge, what aftermarket gauges have you used that match the green/yellow/white color scheme?

Side pictures of how the gauges are mounted.

Boost/vac is on a DIY pod that latches onto the tachometer bezel (also DIY). The bezel for the boost/vac gauge is a DIY.

Clock is on a pod that is epoxied onto a DIY faceplate with round vents. The faceplate is made of sheet metal, mounted the same way as the stock vent faceplate. The hazard button is relocated to the blank USDM panel (business card / toll card holder in the JDM version?). The bezel for the clock is from an autoGage boost gauge.
What bezels are used on the stock gauge cluster? That is sexy looking!!
ppayer38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #10
satrya
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 5887
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Fremont, CA USA
Vehicle:
2002 GDAA
797

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppayer38 View Post
What bezels are used on the stock gauge cluster? That is sexy looking!!
Thanks. It's a DIY. The panel is a smoked acrylic, retaining the OEM indicator mask (that has the indicator icons for brake light, turn signal, etc.) behind the acrylic piece. The icons are only visible when lit up. I posted a DIY on the cluster ~2003 or so. DIY pictures are already lost. It's actually quite simple to make. This was back before they made nicer clusters like the 2004 and up.
satrya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #11
ppayer38
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 234407
Join Date: Jan 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Smithfield, VA
Vehicle:
04 Self-tooned
STi

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrya

Thanks. It's a DIY. The panel is a smoked acrylic, retaining the OEM indicator mask (that has the indicator icons for brake light, turn signal, etc.) behind the acrylic piece. The icons are only visible when lit up. I posted a DIY on the cluster ~2003 or so. DIY pictures are already lost. It's actually quite simple to make. This was back before they made nicer clusters like the 2004 and up.
You're got to pm me some more detailed info on this cause that looks better then the STi cluster if you ask me. Gives it some depth and character to match aftermarket gauges...
ppayer38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #12
satrya
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 5887
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Fremont, CA USA
Vehicle:
2002 GDAA
797

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drowner View Post
The closeups do not do those any favors.
The closeups weren't there to win any beauty contests.
I'm just sharing a method and the closeups provide some details into how it was done without a step by step DIY thread, imho.
satrya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:04 PM   #13
satrya
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 5887
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Fremont, CA USA
Vehicle:
2002 GDAA
797

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppayer38 View Post
You're got to pm me some more detailed info on this cause that looks better then the STi cluster if you ask me. Gives it some depth and character to match aftermarket gauges...
Thanks. There isn't that much more detail than that, since my DIY pictures from circa 2003 are long gone.
If the STi clusters of the my 2004+ were already available when I got my bugeye in 2001, I wouldn't bother with the mod.
satrya is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.