Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday September 19, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Care & Detailing

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #1
tmann05
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 178773
Vehicle:
2004 Subaru WRX STI
Aspen White

Default Detailing Questions

I've got some yellow discoloration above the rear bumper where the trunk lid covers. Anyone know what will take that off? Also I am using this blue clay on the plastic bumpers/sideskirts and the small spots don't seem to want to come off. Is there a better color clay or something that will help speed up the process?

Also shown here I have some paint chips on one of my rear strakes. Is this something I can just touch up with white paint or would sanding be involved?

One more thing - last year a radiator hose blew and I got a replacement for the hose and put this orange auto zone coolant in since most of the old green stuff leaked out. I don't think this is what I should be using because after fillling the reservoir tank to the correct line, the next time I checked it, the level has dropped. What should I do in this situation? Thanks for any help or ideas!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by tmann05; 06-23-2011 at 07:40 PM.
tmann05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:58 PM   #2
beij0
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 248975
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
2003 WRX/B4 Blitzen
PSM/Red

To begin, that coolant is for GM vehicles, I don't know how responds with a Subaru, I've have always used the Subaru coolant. I've also heard bad stuff about Dex-cool too.

For your exhaust, some metal polish will fix that right up for you. My exhaust is like that after every winter.

For the chips, there are a few different ways of fixing that, just depends on how much work you are wanting to put into it. ex Dr. Color Chip is pretty fast and easy.

Those small spots are more that likely contaminates that have gotten below the surface where your clay bar can not reach. Iron Cut may be of use here, but since there are no pictures of what you are talking about, hard to tell.

As for the discoloration, sorry but I can not help you there. But my best guess would be a rubbing compound of some sort, but I would wait to hear what others have to say.
beij0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
tmann05
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Subaru WRX STI
Aspen White

Thanks for the reply, I have found a coolant thread and may be purchasing the correct subaru coolant. Say I do get a new coolant type, can I just drain and refill or is a flush required?

I also found an exhaust cleaning thread thanks for your input!

Well I get these contaminent spots every year it seems and using the gray clay from walmart I can get off all the spots on the metal, though it is time consuming (about an hour per door). The plastic is a bword to clay and the gray clay will barely touch it so thats why I am trying blue. I will look up the iron cut.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:26 AM   #4
Flynlow151
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 77870
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2004 Subaru STI
TheBoostCreep Stage II

Rubbing compound or polish will fix your paint. A clay bar will only remove surface contaminents such as sap, pollen, etc. Hit it with some rubbing compound and then a few coats of wax to either prevent it in the future or atleast help protect against it.
Flynlow151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:49 AM   #5
beij0
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 248975
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
2003 WRX/B4 Blitzen
PSM/Red

Clay bars only come in two kinds of grade, medium and fine. Color doesn't determine the quality or grade of the clay, just what the manufacture wants. And as said above, it's only for surface cleaning.

Edit:
Usually radiator flushes are worthless to do and a waste of time and money. But if you feel the need to do so, to make sure none of that stuff left in there, there are a few DIY methods out there. I would also find a bottle of coolant conditioner also.
beij0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:27 PM   #6
Kean
Scooby Guru

Member#: 25187
Vehicle:
'08 Foz Prem TGM
'10 Challenger R/T Blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by beij0 View Post
Clay bars only come in two kinds of grade, medium and fine.
Actually, they come in more grades than that but most consumer offerings are what I might consider on the relative "medium" side. ....by comparison, something like Sonus UFC (green) is even more mild and something like Meguiars C2100 (red) clay is quite a bit more aggressive.
Kean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:31 PM   #7
tmann05
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Subaru WRX STI
Aspen White

Yep I think I'll try the red next
Old 06-27-2011, 10:46 PM   #8
AutoAesthetica
Former Vendor

Member#: 246785
Chapter/Region: Tri-State

We have in stock Meguiar's Red Aggressive and Clay Magic Medium(which is just about as aggressive as Megs). Both very effective in situations of stubborn contamination.

I always had the experience(with the exception of CM Blue) that many OTC clays were a bit too mild in my book.

But yes as stated, starting color means nothing in a clay situation.
AutoAesthetica is offline   Reply With Quote