Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday July 24, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Motorsports

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2011, 08:07 AM   #1
Rokkit
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 84181
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: CT
Vehicle:
NASA #530 GTS2

Default Hyperfest Videos

I don't ususally post stuff about my own lap times here but for those who are interested here is the small bore (PTC-PTF, Honda Challange, Spec Miatta, etc.) race at Summit Point last weekend.

- Hyperfest Sat Race
- Hyperfest Sun Race (Started on Pole! woot)
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Rokkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:24 AM   #2
blacktrail
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 154841
Join Date: Jul 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Davidsonville, MD
Vehicle:
2002 white
johnny tran

Default

Are you the coupe or the sedan. I remember seeing you both but don't remember which races each of you participated in.
blacktrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:09 AM   #3
Rokkit
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 84181
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: CT
Vehicle:
NASA #530 GTS2

Default

There's only one subaru in PTC (well, in small bore for that matter lol)

I'm the coupe... This one:

Rokkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
nickrice20
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 95153
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Miesenbach, Deutschland
Vehicle:
2011 STI Hatch

Default

Nice driving dude!!!!!

Got some questions for you. Do you have a build thread or details on your car? Also it is obvious you carry the a lot more exit speed out of 10 than anyone else. The AWD drivetrain screw you in the long straights I know the feeling. So why is it that you aren't trying to use some of the draft off the Honda's ahead of you? I imagine that it is either for better cooling or just trying to stay in their blind spot. I was pretty amazed at your brakes as well you would think a Honda would out brake you with the weight differential.


Oh one more thing what kind of engine was in that Ford Probe? It sounded like a rotary never seemed to stop revving, pretty mean sounding.


Nick
nickrice20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:48 AM   #5
Rokkit
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 84181
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: CT
Vehicle:
NASA #530 GTS2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrice20 View Post
Nice driving dude!!!!!

Got some questions for you. Do you have a build thread or details on your car? Also it is obvious you carry the a lot more exit speed out of 10 than anyone else. The AWD drivetrain screw you in the long straights I know the feeling. So why is it that you aren't trying to use some of the draft off the Honda's ahead of you? I imagine that it is either for better cooling or just trying to stay in their blind spot. I was pretty amazed at your brakes as well you would think a Honda would out brake you with the weight differential.


Oh one more thing what kind of engine was in that Ford Probe? It sounded like a rotary never seemed to stop revving, pretty mean sounding.


Nick
1) yes, i do. http://buildingasubarutrackcar.blogspot.com/ would be the best spot to start

2) Exit speed is lower than I wanted actually, I can get a bit more. The AWD doesn't hurt the strait really, i'm down on power . I should be making like 185 on a mustang dyno for the class, but i'm making 160ish.

3) Why not draft? well i was doing it a little, but I ended up over-heating the brakes (or so i thought) but it turned out to just be pad knock back from wheel bearing failures... replacing them this weekend.

4) Brakes are actually stock - well with Hawk HT-10 Pads... but stock rotors/calipers.

5) probe has a stock motor in it. but he's a much better driver than I with a bit more power too.

thanks for lookin'
Rokkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:34 PM   #6
nickrice20
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 95153
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Miesenbach, Deutschland
Vehicle:
2011 STI Hatch

Default

Cool I will read your build I am planning on possibly doing an enduro car out of n/a impreza for fun in the future.

Yeah I imagine the wheel bearing failure isn't being helped by you being all over the curbing . Still running 5x100?

You packing the bearings with Neo greases or anything of that nature? The pad knock back is a pain I started my novice license in my buddies 04 STI and it scared the crap out of me a few times. Have you thought about doing some anti knock back springs the next time you rebuild the caliper?

It is hard to believe that is a stock Probe motor kind of crazy.
nickrice20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:38 PM   #7
Rokkit
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 84181
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: CT
Vehicle:
NASA #530 GTS2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrice20 View Post
Cool I will read your build I am planning on possibly doing an enduro car out of n/a impreza for fun in the future.

Yeah I imagine the wheel bearing failure isn't being helped by you being all over the curbing . Still running 5x100?

You packing the bearings with Neo greases or anything of that nature? The pad knock back is a pain I started my novice license in my buddies 04 STI and it scared the crap out of me a few times. Have you thought about doing some anti knock back springs the next time you rebuild the caliper?

It is hard to believe that is a stock Probe motor kind of crazy.
Well the probe motor is modified heavily, but it's in stock form internally.

as for the bearings - I've got a season and a half out of them... prob close to 15-20 events so their life is up. I use Amsoil synthetic high temp grease when I pack them.

Spring rates are still pretty low on the car - gata use any advantage I have... the car likes a lot of curb
Rokkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:55 PM   #8
nickrice20
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 95153
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Miesenbach, Deutschland
Vehicle:
2011 STI Hatch

Default

Yeah my race car is on T2's as well running 500lb rear 600lb front. I may be switching it up a little after they are rebuilt this winter to see what I like.

Have you had any problems with your camber coming out of adjustment on your rear end? I am not sure I like the way the coil overs are slotted for adjustments. At the end of last race my right rear was sitting at 0 degrees started at -2.5. It explained the car becoming more and more loose as the race continued. I thought I had just overcooked my tires. The bolts were torqued as tight as I could get them with a 1/2" breaker bar.

Last edited by nickrice20; 06-24-2011 at 08:44 PM.
nickrice20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:58 PM   #9
Rokkit
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 84181
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: CT
Vehicle:
NASA #530 GTS2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrice20 View Post
Yeah my race car is on T2's as well running 500lb rear 600lb front. I may be switching it up a little after they are rebuilt this winter to see what I like.

Have you had any problems with your camber coming out of adjustment on your rear end? I am not sure I like the way the coil overs are slotted for adjustments. At the end of last race my right rear was sitting at 0 degrees started at -2.5. It explained the car becoming more and more loose as the race continued. I thought I had just overcooked my tires. The bolts were torqued as tight as I could get them with a 1/4" breaker bar.
Nope, Spec is 128 Ft/lbs and that's what I torque them too.

What I did is tack washers to the strut assembly where I want the camber to sit and then make adjustments on the top hat.

No problems thus far.
Rokkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:20 PM   #10
nickrice20
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 95153
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Miesenbach, Deutschland
Vehicle:
2011 STI Hatch

Default

Yep that was my next move was to do a little welding on the ears themselves. Glad to know that you did something similar great build blog so far, reminds me of mine.
nickrice20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:01 PM   #11
grippgoat
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 62182
Join Date: May 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Kirkland, WA
Vehicle:
2005 STI
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrice20 View Post
Yeah my race car is on T2's as well running 500lb rear 600lb front. I may be switching it up a little after they are rebuilt this winter to see what I like.

Have you had any problems with your camber coming out of adjustment on your rear end? I am not sure I like the way the coil overs are slotted for adjustments. At the end of last race my right rear was sitting at 0 degrees started at -2.5. It explained the car becoming more and more loose as the race continued. I thought I had just overcooked my tires. The bolts were torqued as tight as I could get them with a 1/4" breaker bar.
1/4" breaker bar?

Have you tried new strut bolts? I've had my suspension on and off a ton of times, and one time at Portland, I went two-off on the exit of 12, hitting the back of the curbing pretty hard, and the camber slipped really badly. Turns out the strut bolt was stretched from just being old, and wasn't really clamping well. Threw new bolts in and no problems.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:05 PM   #12
nickrice20
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 95153
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Miesenbach, Deutschland
Vehicle:
2011 STI Hatch

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grippgoat View Post
1/4" breaker bar?

Have you tried new strut bolts? I've had my suspension on and off a ton of times, and one time at Portland, I went two-off on the exit of 12, hitting the back of the curbing pretty hard, and the camber slipped really badly. Turns out the strut bolt was stretched from just being old, and wasn't really clamping well. Threw new bolts in and no problems.

-Mike
I will have to give that a try. The camber slipped out at Pacific Raceways which is pretty darn rough on suspension coming through 3b and 7 as you probably already know. Oh and I meant to say 1/2" breaker bar my brain isn't firing on all cylinders today

Last edited by nickrice20; 06-24-2011 at 08:45 PM.
nickrice20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:51 PM   #13
Patrick L
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 634
Join Date: Dec 1999
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Tulsa, OK
Vehicle:
2000 Impreza 2.5RS
Becasue ITS racecar

Default

Cool car! Good to see more RS's out there racing.

I will be doing something similar to this starting later this year. My RS will no longer be a street car. I am going to build it for SCCA Improved Touring S. All of the work to engine and drivetrain are already done. Just need to strip the car and pull all the suspension to go through it do what I can within the rules. Probably hold off on a fuel cell till I get it in working order.

BTW, what do you have your weight down too with driver? Do you have a minimum?

Last edited by Patrick L; 06-24-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Patrick L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:03 PM   #14
Rokkit
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 84181
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: CT
Vehicle:
NASA #530 GTS2

Default

I need to check out that series, maybe I can run there too...
Rokkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:54 AM   #15
Patrick L
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 634
Join Date: Dec 1999
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Tulsa, OK
Vehicle:
2000 Impreza 2.5RS
Becasue ITS racecar

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokkit View Post
I need to check out that series, maybe I can run there too...
Not with those flares, plus you have to run a stock size wheel. You can swap for any diff except the center. You can run any final drive you want. (3.90, 4.11 or 4.44)
BTW, I have had good luck with the DTC-60's. Awsome bite, not as much heat but realy hard on rotors. There was someone that did some testing, by putting a thin aluminum shim between the rotor and hub. You can cut down on some of the heat gettng too the bearings. Plus brake ducks don't hurt either.
Min weight in ITS for the RS is 2660 with driver right now. They only list GC,98-01 right now in the rules.
Patrick L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #16
Rokkit
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 84181
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: CT
Vehicle:
NASA #530 GTS2

Default

Ah just saw that about the flares... ah well - I'll research it and engineer around it if I think I'd benefit from racing with SCCA.

Ya this car is 2640 now. And I have brake ducts and shims..lol

I think ill go with a raybestos st-43 next.
Rokkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:17 PM   #17
nickrice20
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 95153
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Miesenbach, Deutschland
Vehicle:
2011 STI Hatch

Default

St-43's are exceptionally tough on rotors at least on my 3140lb car.
nickrice20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:58 PM   #18
Rokkit
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 84181
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: CT
Vehicle:
NASA #530 GTS2

Default

yeah but i hear they are much more predictable throughout the pad material and don't change characteristics much... plus they wear like iron which is cool.

Rotors for the RS are only 35 bucks :P
Rokkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hyperfest race video, for your consumption wallyman424 Off-Topic 14 06-29-2007 01:35 AM
Video from Hyperfest @ Summit Point boost junkie Motorsports 6 06-27-2007 09:27 PM
Video of Cobreth at Hyperfest mav1c Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC 20 07-10-2003 09:39 AM
Battle Of the Imports Here @ MIR in MD. Also Hyperfest this weekend imprezawd Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC 2 06-27-2002 09:55 PM
Time Trial at Hyperfest 6/29 - 6/30? mav1c Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC 18 06-07-2002 06:14 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.