Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday September 19, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > AccessPort

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:08 AM   #1
Do Work
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 286473
Default Is Cobb AP the right way to go?

Hey everyone, I recently got my 09 STi, I've noticed most people run the Cobb Ap for their first mod, Ive done quite a bit of research on it now and Ive noticed that most people who start modifying start with the Cobb Ap, but i also noticed there are so many used units for sale. So it brings me to ask, is it a rookie mistake to buy one ? Is there a better route to go right from the beginning so I don't make the same mistake?

I would like to squeeze a little more power out of the car while keeping it reliable as possible. As of right now I have a greddy catback and a K&n flat panel ( I know i have to go back to stock if I dont get a tune).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Do Work
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Do Work is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:16 AM   #2
mudferret
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 240688
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
06 WRX

I'm happy with mine now. It was my first mod; at the time the Cobb firmware left a lot to be desired. Now I'm running a custom tune with a TBE and IC. I had debated selling the AP and getting an open source tune, but at that point cost wasn't a concern so I elected to keep it. The new firmware is great, and you can log a ton of new, useful parameters.

I use mine frequently; basic logging, monitoring live data, occasionally reading engine codes, etc...

It's a handy size, and has a lot of good features. I find it good for someone who won't be doing their own tuning and really diving into that side of things. It's a good safe way to get your feet wet. It's a different means to the same end with a higher initial cost basically.

That said, I understand why a lot of people elect to sell them once they're more familiar with their cars, tuning, etc...
mudferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:20 AM   #3
Do Work
Scooby Newbie

Great, thanks a lot for the reply, Ill order mine now!
Old 06-24-2011, 11:56 AM   #4
darren94
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 138697
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
11 WRX Limited 5DR
Satin Pearl

I have owned 4 turbo Subaru models and on all of them i have used the Cobb AP. It is a very user friendly and easy mod to install. The gains are noticeable and help liven up the car a good amount. The biggest thing for me is simply getting rid of the horrible stock tune and running the cobb maps. With the cobb maps, the car pulls harder, runs more boost and most of all, really smooths out the power delivery. All while being very reliable. Some will argue that it is "safer" than the stock tune.

Then, the expandability is also a great feature. As your mods grow and you add power, cobb has maps or "stages" that can be used in conjunction with the new mods to produce more safe, reliable power.

On the flip side, a custom tune or open source is not as user friendly but, will often yield a bit more power all while being cheaper than the AP.

I have had stage 1, stage 2 and stage 3 cobb tuned cars with zero issues. Just dont beat on the car, tune according to your specific mods, and if you need dealer visits (pending you have a warranty) just uninstall the ap and remove it from the car.(given that you are stage 1, mostly stock)

Last edited by darren94; 06-24-2011 at 02:12 PM.
darren94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:24 PM   #5
sc00ter
Scooby Guru

Member#: 117767
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2011 STI Sedan
DGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren94 View Post
... MOST will argue that it is "safer" than the stock tune.

Fixed.

Like mudferret, I was very happy with my COBB OTS stage 1 and stage 2 tunes. However, I considered selling my AP to get a protune as well. In the end I decided to keep the AP and got a protune that works with it. I love being able to use the monitors on the V2 AP to keep track of current boost and AFR levels. Especially since I live at 5,500ft above sea level and my daily driving elevation can increase by up to ~3,000ft.

I say get the AP, run the appropriate OTS tune for your mods and when you are satisfied with your current mod setup, save up for a protune from a local tuner who can tune the AP.
sc00ter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #6
Do Work
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren94 View Post
. Just dont beat on the car,

Please define beating on the car? I will be tracking my car, I enjoy doing WOT pulls while merging onto the hwy, and i do a lot of "spirited driving", there is no point in having such a fun car if your not going to use its potential...
Old 06-24-2011, 09:42 PM   #7
SubieV
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 281820
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2011 STi sedan
PBP

I flashed my 2011 STi to Cobb stage 1 at 800 miles and was very pleased with the results. It made the car feel more like what I think it should have felt like from the factory. More power, smother power curve, and enhanced drivability all from 5 minutes with a little plastic box. Awesome product IMO. Since then I've downloaded Cobb's ATR program and using the OTS map as a starting point, tweaked the tune to be even smoother. If you're willing to do some research and learn a little about tuning, the Accessport gives you instant gratification with the OTS tune and custom self tuning via Access Tuner Race. Just go for it. You won't regret it.
SubieV is offline   Reply With Quote