Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday July 14, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Tire & Wheel

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #2026
nhat
#Belieber
Moderator
 
Member#: 140163
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: 3MI Racing
Vehicle:
03 STi
hellaflunctional

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl4twrx View Post
Why does it suck?
Limits your tire size. Maximum recommended tire width is a 225, which is OK if that's all you'll ever want.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
nhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:23 PM   #2027
wrx2630
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 290232
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montreal, Canada
Vehicle:
2011 STI Sedan
Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhat View Post
Grab a ruler, walk out to your car, measure 5mm from the outer edge of your tire.

I don't know which post is worse: yours or his. At least he has a set offset in mind. You're asking about a wide range of offsets with 2 different width wheels.
let me re phrase it.

My car is stock height and no fender mods, I dont want to do any fender mods, would a 18x8.5 with a offset of +50 or 189.0 with +55 need any fender mods.

and would they fit a 245/40/18 tire?
wrx2630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:40 PM   #2028
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx2630 View Post
let me re phrase it.

My car is stock height and no fender mods, I dont want to do any fender mods, would a 18x8.5 with a offset of +50 or 189.0 with +55 need any fender mods.

and would they fit a 245/40/18 tire?
18x9 +55 most likely wont fit. offset is too high for the width of the wheel. With wheels 9"+ you want offsets in the mid 40's.

18x8.5 +50 would be fine.
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #2029
SupaDoopa
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 285304
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Fort Bliss, TX
Vehicle:
2008 STi
OBP

Default

So. I'm openly anticipating being flamed. Let's get that off our chests. I own a 2008 STI. Right now it has 18x8.5 +40 TE's and coming from a FD and other RWD cars, I'd like something a little more aggressive. I was wondering if a 18x10 +25ish would fit. If not, what modifications would need? Just a roll? Maybe a pull? I've searched quite a bit and some say it works, others say it doesn't. I want a wheel with proper offset to clear the brembos but still be a nice aggressive width and offset.

Flame on if you want or maybe be helpful if you want. The choice is yours. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: P.S. I will be lowered on BC's.
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #2030
nhat
#Belieber
Moderator
 
Member#: 140163
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: 3MI Racing
Vehicle:
03 STi
hellaflunctional

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaDoopa View Post
So. I'm openly anticipating being flamed. Let's get that off our chests. I own a 2008 STI. Right now it has 18x8.5 +40 TE's and coming from a FD and other RWD cars, I'd like something a little more aggressive. I was wondering if a 18x10 +25ish would fit. If not, what modifications would need? Just a roll? Maybe a pull? I've searched quite a bit and some say it works, others say it doesn't. I want a wheel with proper offset to clear the brembos but still be a nice aggressive width and offset.

Flame on if you want or maybe be helpful if you want. The choice is yours. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: P.S. I will be lowered on BC's.
Which wheels are you asking about? Also, what tire size are you looking to run? You could be asking about 18x10 +25 TE -37s but I can't be sure.
nhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #2031
SupaDoopa
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 285304
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Fort Bliss, TX
Vehicle:
2008 STi
OBP

Default

The wheel make and model really aren't a concern. Just wondering what's the most aggressive sizing I can throw on a 08 without having to pull the fenders to oblivion. I am looking for a size I can roll and maybe SLIGHTLY pull but will be the most aggressive size. If I can find a low offset 18x10, I'd love to. If anyone has experience with throwing 18x10's on a 08 STI or any STI hatch for that matter, that would be amazing.

But as for the wheel I was thinking about, Emotion CR Kiwami's.
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #2032
nhat
#Belieber
Moderator
 
Member#: 140163
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: 3MI Racing
Vehicle:
03 STi
hellaflunctional

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaDoopa View Post
The wheel make and model really aren't a concern. Just wondering what's the most aggressive sizing I can throw on a 08 without having to pull the fenders to oblivion. I am looking for a size I can roll and maybe SLIGHTLY pull but will be the most aggressive size. If I can find a low offset 18x10, I'd love to. If anyone has experience with throwing 18x10's on a 08 STI or any STI hatch for that matter, that would be amazing.

But as for the wheel I was thinking about, Emotion CR Kiwami's.
It depends on tire size and alignment.

Also, this thread will help http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2155863

Also, search and browse threads here and in Member's Car Gallery.
nhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #2033
SupaDoopa
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 285304
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Fort Bliss, TX
Vehicle:
2008 STi
OBP

Default

I don't really mind stretching a tire alongs it isn't ridiculous. I am coming from the RWD world where stretching was no big deal and done more often than not. I just want to make sure that I'm not having to call a body shop to pull my fenders because that's what it will take.
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #2034
dIrTy-StI
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 322280
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: PA
Vehicle:
2002 Subaru WRX
WRB

Default Need a little bit of help with tires+rims

I have want to change to larger rims for my 2002 wrx. I was looking at 17 inch xxr's that are 7 wide. I want to be able to run a tire that is a dedicated summer tire that is decent in the rain but will be only used during the warm weather. I would like to put a 235 wide tire on the rims and i do not want to roll or alter my fenders. I need help with the offset too, i have read the stickies and many threads but i would like to ensure that i am doing this the correct way since i have never bought rims or tires and i dont have a ton of cash to play with.
Thanks,
Thomas
dIrTy-StI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #2035
bboylocob
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 151809
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: New Orleans
Vehicle:
2007 WRX
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dIrTy-StI View Post
I have want to change to larger rims for my 2002 wrx. I was looking at 17 inch xxr's that are 7 wide. I want to be able to run a tire that is a dedicated summer tire that is decent in the rain but will be only used during the warm weather. I would like to put a 235 wide tire on the rims and i do not want to roll or alter my fenders. I need help with the offset too, i have read the stickies and many threads but i would like to ensure that i am doing this the correct way since i have never bought rims or tires and i dont have a ton of cash to play with.
Thanks,
Thomas
Might want to think of a wider wheel. A 7inch is pretty small. And a 235 on a 7inch is retarded. I put 235 on my 17x7.5 and thought it was retarded. Now i have 18x9 with 235 and wish i would have went with the 245.
Go with a 215 for the 17x7 offset probl. A 45-48 would be good.
bboylocob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #2036
dIrTy-StI
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 322280
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: PA
Vehicle:
2002 Subaru WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboylocob View Post
Might want to think of a wider wheel. A 7inch is pretty small. And a 235 on a 7inch is retarded. I put 235 on my 17x7.5 and thought it was retarded. Now i have 18x9 with 235 and wish i would have went with the 245.
Go with a 215 for the 17x7 offset probl. A 45-48 would be good.
ok what if i want to run a wider tire what size rim should i get?
dIrTy-StI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:01 PM   #2037
bboylocob
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 151809
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: New Orleans
Vehicle:
2007 WRX
Black

Default

Atleast do a 17x7.5 with a 225 or if ur set on the 235 u can put a 235 on a 17x7.5.
bboylocob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #2038
dIrTy-StI
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 322280
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: PA
Vehicle:
2002 Subaru WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboylocob View Post
Atleast do a 17x7.5 with a 225 or if ur set on the 235 u can put a 235 on a 17x7.5.
would an 8 inch wide rim not fit without modifications to the fenders?
dIrTy-StI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #2039
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboylocob View Post
Atleast do a 17x7.5 with a 225 or if ur set on the 235 u can put a 235 on a 17x7.5.
i wouldn't recommend a 235 on anything less than an 8" wheel.
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #2040
dIrTy-StI
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 322280
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: PA
Vehicle:
2002 Subaru WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00by4life View Post
i wouldn't recommend a 235 on anything less than an 8" wheel.
ok so will the 8 inch wide wheel fit under my fender with out any issues?
dIrTy-StI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #2041
nhat
#Belieber
Moderator
 
Member#: 140163
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: 3MI Racing
Vehicle:
03 STi
hellaflunctional

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dIrTy-StI View Post

ok so will the 8 inch wide wheel fit under my fender with out any issues?
Just look through this thread and you'll find your answer.
nhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #2042
czarrr
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 343937
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dIrTy-StI View Post

ok so will the 8 inch wide wheel fit under my fender with out any issues?
8 could easily fit. It all comes down to the offset and tire size.
czarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:57 PM   #2043
dIrTy-StI
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 322280
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: PA
Vehicle:
2002 Subaru WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by czarrr View Post
8 could easily fit. It all comes down to the offset and tire size.
ok ill post back when i figure it out but my choices are a 17x8 XXR 522 with a 48mm offset or a 17x8 Rota G-Force with a 48mm offset, and maybe ROTA GRID 2 17X8 with a 38 mm off set
dIrTy-StI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:35 PM   #2044
bboylocob
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 151809
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: New Orleans
Vehicle:
2007 WRX
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00by4life View Post

i wouldn't recommend a 235 on anything less than an 8" wheel.
Yea i really dont. I ran that size with a 7.5 with no probls. But its up to the end user
bboylocob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:26 AM   #2045
czarrr
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 343937
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dIrTy-StI View Post

ok ill post back when i figure it out but my choices are a 17x8 XXR 522 with a 48mm offset or a 17x8 Rota G-Force with a 48mm offset, and maybe ROTA GRID 2 17X8 with a 38 mm off set
You should be just fine with any of those.
I have OEM BBS STI rims (17x8 53 offset) with a 25mm spacer making it a +28 set up. 245 tire.
czarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #2046
nhat
#Belieber
Moderator
 
Member#: 140163
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: 3MI Racing
Vehicle:
03 STi
hellaflunctional

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by czarrr View Post
You should be just fine with any of those.
I have OEM BBS STI rims (17x8 53 offset) with a 25mm spacer making it a +28 set up. 245 tire.
You need to provide full details for this post to have any merit.
nhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #2047
rev_this
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 224690
Join Date: Sep 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Vehicle:
2007 WRX wagon!
vf48 w/ ugly tail lights

Default

I ran an 18x8 +40 on my wagon and it looked just OK...
Just bought a set of 18x9 +35. Going to squeeze that into my wagon fenders. Gonna roll flat and run -3 with a small pull on all 4 corners. Shouldn't have any issues.
Can't wait to get them back from the coaters.
rev_this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #2048
littlewhitewagon
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 103068
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: PM me if I don't answer posts
Vehicle:
11 STI sedan
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaDoopa View Post
I don't really mind stretching a tire alongs it isn't ridiculous. I am coming from the RWD world where stretching was no big deal and done more often than not. I just want to make sure that I'm not having to call a body shop to pull my fenders because that's what it will take.


That is 18x10+40 with a 265 R comp tire on there, measures like a 275-285. My car has rolled rears and the suspension is setup for function.
littlewhitewagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #2049
littlewhitewagon
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 103068
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: PM me if I don't answer posts
Vehicle:
11 STI sedan
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev_this View Post
I ran an 18x8 +40 on my wagon and it looked just OK...
Just bought a set of 18x9 +35. Going to squeeze that into my wagon fenders. Gonna roll flat and run -3 with a small pull on all 4 corners. Shouldn't have any issues.
Can't wait to get them back from the coaters.
It will fit, but you won't be able to run all that much meat on the wheels unless you pull a little. Your wagon will also turn like a turd with that sort of camber setup. Here is my wagon with 9" wheels, +45 offset and 255 R comps. The close up image is before camber adjustments. Wagon was made for function.




Last edited by littlewhitewagon; 03-06-2013 at 12:27 PM.
littlewhitewagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #2050
czarrr
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 343937
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhat View Post

You need to provide full details for this post to have any merit.
You're welcome.

OEM STI BBS 17x8 +53 offset rims.
245/40 BFGoodrich tires.
+25mm spacers from JonMotoring. A vendor on Nasioc.
Lowered on BC BR coils.

EDIT for Nhat:
Fenders rolled and slight pull.
It's a meatier tire so an aggressive pull is suggested depending on how low the car is.
I'm 10mm below stock height.
No rubbing or hitting fender liner unless sharp turns and a decent bump/dip.
Alignment specs provided in a day or two. Depending when I can leave the hospital with my new baby daughter





Last edited by czarrr; 03-06-2013 at 06:36 PM.
czarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
the motorsport fitment thread: because race car! nhat Tire & Wheel 45 11-20-2011 03:21 PM
the official wheel/tire fitment thread: all fitment questions go here! nhat Tire & Wheel 1086 06-15-2011 01:02 AM
where did the wheel fitment chart go? PoopRSkupe Brakes, Steering & Suspension 0 01-26-2004 01:36 PM
A thread in the STi forum to keep it alive (because STi forum is closing) Eric SS Off-Topic 6 09-10-2003 03:54 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.